• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Redweek "feedback" ratings?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I rent some stuff on Redweek and sometimes get the "nervous" renter who is unsure if I'm a scammer/etc.

So I was wondering:

Do you think it would be a good enhancement to Redweek if they added a "feedback" score like ebay has (or something similar), where a verified renter can leave a positive/negative feedback, that would maybe give some comfort to renters?

And vice versa?

I usually have some previous renters who I've asked if they wouldn't mind being used as a referral if necessary, but just a thought.

Wondered what the general opinion over here was on the idea.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like it. I doubt Redweek makes any changes however.

WackyLucy

Reaction score
So I rent some stuff on Redweek and sometimes get the "nervous" renter who is unsure if I'm a scammer/etc.

So I was wondering:

Do you think it would be a good enhancement to Redweek if they added a "feedback" score like ebay has (or something similar), where a verified renter can leave a positive/negative feedback, that would maybe give some comfort to renters?

And vice versa?

I usually have some previous renters who I've asked if they wouldn't mind being used as a referral if necessary, but just a thought.

Wondered what the general opinion over here was on the idea.

Personally, I would be inclined to harbor doubts about the validity and credibility of any such "feedback" or "rating / scoring". Why? Landlords could presumably post flattering (but completely phony) ratings about themselves. Disgruntled tenants who had travel problems, bad weather, sick kids (none of which any owner can in any way influence or control) could use the "rating / scoring" process inappropriately to vent their own personal frustration.

Conversely, a landlord could "bad mouth" a tenant who was just simply a PITA.

I don't oppose the idea; I am just pointing out that I would personally take any such "ratings" or "scoring", good or bad, with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Personally, I would be inclined to harbor doubts about the validity and credibility of any such "feedback" or "rating / scoring". Why? Landlords could presumably post flattering (but completely phony) ratings about themselves. Disgruntled tenants who had travel problems, bad weather, sick kids (none of which any owner can in any way influence or control) could use the "rating / scoring" process inappropriately to vent their own personal frustration.

Conversely, a landlord could "bad mouth" a tenant who was just simply a PITA.

I don't oppose the idea; I am just pointing out that I would personally take any such "ratings" or "scoring", good or bad, with a grain of salt.

A review system like TripAdvisor.com has is subject to these abuses. An ebay-like feedback system eliminates most of the possible abuses you cite. I have had very few nervous renters on RedWeek.com, not nearly enough to support implementing a feedback system. I don't use RedWeek.com's escrow service for just the reasons you cite.

I have nervous renters on Craig's List. But, I'm a nervous owner on Craig's List. Establishing the necessary level of trust is much harder on Craig's List.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
A review system like TripAdvisor.com has is subject to these abuses. An ebay-like feedback system eliminates most of the possible abuses you cite. I have had very few nervous renters on RedWeek.com, not nearly enough to support implementing a feedback system. I don't use RedWeek.com's escrow service for just the reasons you cite.

I have nervous renters on Craig's List. But, I'm a nervous owner on Craig's List. Establishing the necessary level of trust is much harder on Craig's List.

Same here, never used the escrow service. Too expensive, and too likely (IMO) to not get paid.
Never use Craigslist anymore. Too many scammers and stuff to try to filter through all the undesirable "offers".

Bad enough I get the lookey-loos on Redweek, (window shoppers that will ask how much, and how to proceed, and then you never hear from them again). But better that than the "I'll send you a money order, you cash it, blah blah". I wouldn't dare give out my phone # on any Craigslist ad anymore.

At least in my area. Was getting all sorts of phone calls. Ended up having to change my #.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Redweek: You have to be a member to list; you have to be a member to contact an owner. How many members are going to be allowed to remain members if they are scammers? If the renter is still nervous about renting; I don't think their fears are going to be alleviated by a rating/review system. They want a great deal (compared to renting directly from the resort), but are too nervous to rent from a member. :doh: When I get these and it's back-and-forth, and back-and-forth; I tell them that their fears cannot be abated and that they should rent their accommodations through the resort.

I get the same from Craigslist. Craigslist is rift with scammers (on both sides). I understand folks may be nervous. However, once I've offered proof of reservation and a PAYPAL payment option and it's still back-and-forth; I make the recommendation that it is probably better to rent directly from the resort for piece-of-mind. If one is so nervous about renting through Craigslist; why are you making these inquiries in the first place? :shrug: Oh yeah, you want a better deal than you can get through the resort. :wall:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I agree with Egret1986. I haven't had many skeptics with Redweek. I have had a few who think I should use escrow, which is downright annoying, and I tell them only if they are willing to pay for the cost of the escrow. I had one person do it, and then I didn't get paid at ten days after. I had to email to get my payment.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I've had great luck with Redweek, but I've not once had to deal with an obviously nervous or skeptic potential renter. One renter admitted he checked me out online and found me on LinkedIn. Of course, I always offer to show them my original resort confirmation early in the rental process. And I've only had two try to haggle me down just a tiny bit in 15 years.

Some may not like the fact that Redweek charges owners to post ads and charges interested parties to contact owners, but it's well worth it to me for both sides.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
RW will never have a feedback system because then it makes users less likely to use their escrow services and verified services which I'm sure are a good revenue streams for them. Why else would them not have one when it is present in almost every other mainstream rental service and not something difficult to set up?