• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Key West Resorts and Insurance

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity does anyone know what the deductibles and amount of insurance is on the three KW resorts? Sitting here watching live webcams of Key West on YouTube and can't believe how many people are still there. I'm praying everyone stays safe and damage is minimal.

Quinte

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Hyatt Beach House
Hyatt Portfolio Points
I'm looking for Key West webcams, but not found any working. Could you please post your link?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Thank you for posting those webcams. It's going to get worse, but it's already scary.

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, pulled myself away to do some work. LurkerBee covered them well. If you go to YouTube and search for live webcam Key West, you can find some others. All were up and working. What's amazing is seeing the people walking, biking, on scooters, and driving around still.

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
This might be my new favorite. It shows 3 from Key West + Miami all in one
It certainly makes it easier! I've got three screens going at once here with Alexa playing ocean sounds in the background. I really need to reevaluate my life!! :wall::shrug:

Quinte

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Hyatt Beach House
Hyatt Portfolio Points
Thanks for the posting. I kept trying to find the Marriott one that is near HBH, but no luck. These are helpful in giving an idea of what is going on.

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not positive but it looks like Key West has now lost power and all feeds are down except Two Friends restaurant. That feed shows an almost entire lack of any lights that were visible just a few minutes ago. Going to be a long night for those that stayed.

LurkerBee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation
Not positive but it looks like Key West has now lost power and all feeds are down except Two Friends restaurant. That feed shows an almost entire lack of any lights that were visible just a few minutes ago. Going to be a long night for those that stayed.
And its down now :( They just had a guy on the phone who decided to ride it out in Key West and he reported the whole island is out of power. So I guess the feeds are all down now. I hope everyone there stays safe and dry tonight.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity does anyone know what the deductibles and amount of insurance is on the three KW resorts? Sitting here watching live webcams of Key West on YouTube and can't believe how many people are still there. I'm praying everyone stays safe and damage is minimal.
My understanding is that the deductible is very high for Sunset. The purpose was to save premium costs. It could be $1 MM.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Thanks for the info Kal. Sounds like a special assessment might be coming.
How do the assessment work? Are they for each individual resort or will it be for all Florida resorts together? We own at Beach House.

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I won't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure it's each resort. For example, let's say Sunset Harbor has $2,000,000 of damage. Beach House has none. SH can't expect Beach House to help pay for the rebuild. SH owners will have a special assessment to repair their place. If Kal is right and there is a $1 mill deductible, it could cost each owner of each week $5,000 to pay the deductible.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
My math is if there are say 46 units not exaclty sure. 1m div by 52 weeks div by 46 units....under 450 each. Has anyone heard of how high the water surge was?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It is also possible that the HOA has some money in reserves to cover the deductible or part of it.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
No reports on KW HRC properties, but the area between Cudjoe Key and Big Pine Key was landfall location. With the right side of the hurricane being the stronger/worse side, KW did not get the storm surge that Cudjoe Key, Big Pine and Marathon got. The early (and unconfirmed by official authorities) report is that KW had little to no storm surge. Will be good to hear official reports - and an update from Hyatt on KW and Bonita properties.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
No reports on KW HRC properties, but the area between Cudjoe Key and Big Pine Key was landfall location. With the right side of the hurricane being the stronger/worse side, KW did not get the storm surge that Cudjoe Key, Big Pine and Marathon got. The early (and unconfirmed by official authorities) report is that KW had little to no storm surge. Will be good to hear official reports - and an update from Hyatt on KW and Bonita properties.

I think KW was on the west side of the eye, which was good (if there is any good).

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
My math is if there are say 46 units not exaclty sure. 1m div by 52 weeks div by 46 units....under 450 each. Has anyone heard of how high the water surge was?
You are correct. I must have added an extra zero. Nice catch! $500 per week is a lot more tolerable than $5,000. And, last I heard surge was right around 2.5 feet as of this afternoon at 2:35. That was put out by National Weather Service Key West.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
According to the Miami Herald, Key West appears to have survived the worst of Irma.

Quinte

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Hyatt Beach House
Hyatt Portfolio Points
Link to NOAA satellite images of Key West.
  • HYB: landscaping looks somewhat damaged, pool is green, but don't see anything major.
  • HWP: still see green grass, looks like utility trucks in the back doing work.
  • HSH: don't see any major roof damage.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We got an email from Beach House that went out to all the owners saying that they were able to get all the guests and staff out
and that everyone was safe. They also said that they were not yet allowed in to assess damages, but would be sending another email out as soon as
they had information.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Link to NOAA satellite images of Key West.
  • HYB: landscaping looks somewhat damaged, pool is green, but don't see anything major.
  • HWP: still see green grass, looks like utility trucks in the back doing work.
  • HSH: don't see any major roof damage.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html
My only comment about this is that the resorts faced a dual threat--from the wind of the hurricane, and from the storm surge. Satellite images might give some hint of wind damage, but cannot show potential flood damage. That's why the damage assessment from the ground is so crucial.