• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

FYI $3000 Resort Transfer Fee at Plaza Suite in NOLA

mpeter15

Reaction score
I have been recently in talks with a fellow TUGger about purchasing her 2 Plaza Suite week 18(Jazz Fest) 1Br units for a decent price. That all ended when I called the resort to confirm the resort transfer fees. Imagine my surprise when the Resort manger informed me that it would be $3000 per unit to transfer compared to $300 per unit in all the surrounding resorts. SMDH, apparently they don't want anyone buying their units but themselves because nobody is going to pay a $3000 transfer fee. Has anyone else heard of similar transfer fees at other resorts?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
thats sickening

mpeter15

Reaction score
thats sickening
Yes it is. I can't understand why the owners would allow that considering it prevents any of them from selling their units in case of financial hardship

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Is it possible those fees are prepaying maintenance fees?

Not sure what the selling price is or what you are willing to pay but counter with a lower offer to the seller. If the total out of pocket cost is acceptable to you then it doesn't matter what the breakout is for purchase price and transfer fees. All this is bad for the seller because the HOA is taking the seller's profit.

Last edited:

mpeter15

Reaction score
Is it possible those fees are prepaying maintenance fees?

Not sure what the selling price is or what you are willing to pay but counter with a lower offer to the seller. The bad thing is the only one who profits is the resort.
No, I confirmed asked about 3 different ways, the $3000 was strictly a resort transfer fee per unit. How can I counter lower when $3000 is way more than I am even willing to pay for a 1br timeshare Jazz Fest or not. Not to mention I'd be setting myself up for disaster should I ever want to get out/sell.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
... manger informed me that it would be $3000 per unit to transfer......Has anyone else heard of similar transfer fees at other resorts?

Not uncommon at some Mexican facilities, but I'd not heard of any such numbers in the U.S. I thought Hyatt was the champ at $599 --- apparently not. :eek:

Last edited:

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not uncommon at some Mexican facilities, but I've not heard of any such numbers in the U.S. I thought Hyatt was the champ at $599 --- apparently not. :eek:
I think Marriott charges more than $3,000 to transfer a points ownership.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I do not know the law but wonder at what point for US timeshares do these fees become excessive and are considered illegal, unfair practices, not allowing open competition to sell?

I understand when you buy, you are stuck if you can't sell or give away but add in the factor of Excessive fees to transfer when you give it away and the timeshare company unwilling to take it back, somewhere there has to be an illegal aspect to this.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Even more sickening is Vidanta charging a transfer fee equal to 10 maintenance fees for a Grand Luxxe transfer. At over $2000 per maintenance fee, that's over 20,000 dollars!

mpeter15

Reaction score
Even more sickening is Vidanta charging a transfer fee equal to 10 maintenance fees for a Grand Luxxe transfer. At over $2000 per maintenance fee, that's over 20,000 dollars!

That is quite ridiculous. Of course I know nothing about that resort/system, so I can really compare or comment too much. With the Plaza Suite, I can reference other local independent resorts in the immediate area that have similar or even better amenities that transfer for 1/10 of what Plaza Suite charges. 1 thing I can tell you for sure, I won't be buying at either Plaza Suite or Vidanta lol

rpennisi

Reaction score
And in addition to the 10X MF, they also strip away the extra benefits from the original contract (free massages, golf, etc). All that has basically shutdown the resale market for Grand Luxxe.
Great resorts to visit if you want to trade, but if you do, the sales presentation is deadly.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
And in addition to the 10X MF, they also strip away the extra benefits from the original contract (free massages, golf, etc). All that has basically shutdown the resale market for Grand Luxxe.
Great resorts to visit if you want to trade, but if you do, the sales presentation is deadly.
These resorts aren't found on the resale market often. It isn't because buying direct from Vidanta is so great, it is because they make resale so hard. I wouldn't take one if someone gave it to me. Even if exchanges no longer possible.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

That's Mexico however; any such attempted practice here in the U.S. would very promptly be addressed and definitively resolved in a courtroom.

To that point, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if someone launches a legal challenge to the NOLA transfer fee situation cited by the OP, perhaps alleging "unfair restraint of trade" or something along those lines. I dunno; it's certainly not an area of expertise for me. :shrug:

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
These resorts aren't found on the resale market often. It isn't because buying direct from Vidanta is so great, it is because they make resale so hard. I wouldn't take one if someone gave it to me. Even if exchanges no longer possible.

The Vidanta transfer fee changes to 5 x MF was instituted when they added MF on use only ( "no go / no pay") to most new contracts in 2006 .
This addendum and other benefits ( generally) do not transfer to a new owner .

Vidanta wanted their product off ebay for $1 - and they were successful .

That said - for many owners there is no ongoing / unending MF obligation .

Their older contracts are either renewed at 25 years for an additional payment( 5 x current MF) or end .
Post 2010 contracts renew at 10 years for a payment (generally 1 or 2 x current MF )

Those who want to leave can easily do so . The upfront money is left behind BUT you are out without any headaches .

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Another difference is Vidanta included the transfer fee in the contract be it 5 or 10 x's the current MF or 10% of the original purchase price etc. You knew going in what the transfer fee was going to be and could make the decision to buy or not to buy. Looking at old posts as recently as 2014 Plaza Suites transfer fee was under $500 so in this case an owner could have bought with a $300 transfer fee 5 years ago and now goes to sell or give away and it is $3000, much worse.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
No, I confirmed asked about 3 different ways, the $3000 was strictly a resort transfer fee per unit. How can I counter lower when $3000 is way more than I am even willing to pay for a 1br timeshare Jazz Fest or not. Not to mention I'd be setting myself up for disaster should I ever want to get out/sell.

What is wrong with the the HOA? I am sure that they are trying to prevent viking ship scenarios, but there has to be a better way to do it. At this rate, people will just abandon these units and the HOA will get stuck with a bunch of foreclosures.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
What is wrong with the the HOA? I am sure that they are trying to prevent viking ship scenarios, but there has to be a better way to do it. At this rate, people will just abandon these units and the HOA will get stuck with a bunch of foreclosures.

Maybe they *want* those deeds & hoping current owners just sign over the intervals.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe they *want* those deeds & hoping current owners just sign over the intervals.

Possibly, but wouldn't any such "signing over" also invoke the exact same required transfer fee?
It seems hard to believe that the HOA could get away with selective or subjective application of a $3k transfer fee requirement.
Did you perhaps instead intend to refer to resort acquisition of deeds by foreclosure? :ponder:

Last edited:

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Maybe; I don't know what (if any) ulterior motives are in play here...but this whole thing seems illegal or unethical. Or both.

stumahlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're an owner of, and fortunate enough to find a buyer for, a Southwind/Spinnaker Management timeshare in Hilton Head (and probably Orlando and Branson), your buyer will have to put $1500 into a maintenance fee escrow account and submit him/herself to a variety of disclosures (even including supplying a copy of his/her drivers license) in order for the transaction to go through. We're lost three prospects so far because of Southwind/Spinnaker requirements. There's no freedom for a buyer and a seller to just make a deal and get it done without interference by the Resort management.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
... buyer will have to put $1500 into a maintenance fee escrow account...

With all due respect, required pre-payment of maintenance fees and i.d. to ensure that it's not a Viking Ship transaction is profoundly different from a flat out money grab of $3000 for the mere "privilege" of transferring an ownership. Apples and oranges / night and day.

Last edited:

zzcn69

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chateau Orleans also has a similar fee. Ray Peacock is head of both resorts. He was the developer of Plaza Suites and took over several years ago as Property manager at the Chateau. I am owner at both and will simply give the units back to them or walk away when I am no longer able to travel. i have noticed a funny thing in NO timeshares among the "good old boys" who originally built these TS, they don't seem to care if you pay MF or not. If MF are owed, the resort rents the units. I know for a fact that if the unit is rented at Chateau, the money goes in Mr. Peacock pocket The only money the HOA gets is the MF. I have been to a couple of HOA meetings - a joke really. Board is just going thru the motions. Not much interest shown by owners or Board. i brought up the question, if it is almost impossible to sell a unit now and the owners decrease each year, how high will MF go. No one could answer that. To be fair, Mr. Peacock has made a lot of improvements there and MF is a reasonable $560 a year. I think his eventual plans are to make a boutique hotel. There is a sign out front now advertising CO boutique hotel. As for me, I shall enjoy it as long as I can, and then walk away.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Chateau Orleans also has a similar fee. Ray Peacock is head of both resorts. He was the developer of Plaza Suites and took over several years ago as Property manager at the Chateau. I am owner at both and will simply give the units back to them or walk away when I am no longer able to travel. i have noticed a funny thing in NO timeshares among the "good old boys" who originally built these TS, they don't seem to care if you pay MF or not. If MF are owed, the resort rents the units. I know for a fact that if the unit is rented at Chateau, the money goes in Mr. Peacock pocket The only money the HOA gets is the MF. I have been to a couple of HOA meetings - a joke really. Board is just going thru the motions. Not much interest shown by owners or Board. i brought up the question, if it is almost impossible to sell a unit now and the owners decrease each year, how high will MF go. No one could answer that. To be fair, Mr. Peacock has made a lot of improvements there and MF is a reasonable $560 a year. I think his eventual plans are to make a boutique hotel. There is a sign out front now advertising CO boutique hotel. As for me, I shall enjoy it as long as I can, and then walk away.
Perhaps it is the business plan to acquire the property for almost free then sell it to a new (ahem) developer.

madsr

Reaction score
I took ownership of a 1 bedroom unit in Avenue Plaza in February '16, the week floats with the exception of Sugar Bowl week, 2 weeks Mardi Gras, and the 2 Jazzfest weeks. The seller paid all closing costs, deed was transferred and the fee was under $400(which she paid). I only pay the mf which is $743 per year. If they changed since then I am not aware. Beautiful place though and in a great location.

madsr

Reaction score
Also, if deposited in RCI the unit is worth 34, whatever that means, I have not traded yet so not sure what kind of value that is..