• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Irma - The 400 Lb Gorilla In The Room

EAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
"For South Florida, Wyndham advised 1 of the four resorts is closed for renovations until further notice, one is open, they hope two open tomorrow."

Santa Barbara was open but being renovated before the storm. Which one is closed until further notice?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
"For South Florida, Wyndham advised 1 of the four resorts is closed for renovations until further notice, one is open, they hope two open tomorrow."

Santa Barbara was open but being renovated before the storm. Which one is closed until further notice?
Royal Vista is closed for renovations. The hurricane had nothing to do with the planned closing for renovations but may have an impact on how long Royal Vista is closed for the renovations and repairs from Irma

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
For South Floridia, Wyndham advised 1 of the four resorts is closed for renovations until further notice, one is open, they hope two open tomorrow.

Not sure who you talked to but all pompano resorts are closed until September 22.

perigo449

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you do a book a vacation search without dates it will give you a info box about if the resort is close above the view availability calendar tab. Here is an example.

Due to the impact of Hurricane Irma, Wyndham Santa Barbara will be temporarily closed through Thursday, Sept. 28, 2017.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
We were suppose to stay at Palm Aire next week. We were able to cancel the reservation but all the points did not return for some reason. Also they are not offering a refund/additional reservation credit.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron-
How is your home? And boat? And the paddleboarder highlighted in one of your photos?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron-
How is your home? And boat? And the paddleboarder highlighted in one of your photos?

I just got home today, we have power but no cable (tv & internet), my neighbors across the canal are still dark
I have roof leaks, it dosen't look too serious, but several pieces of shingle were in the yard, and there are water stains in several places inside. The banana treas are on the ground, the top of the orchid tree snapped. the avocado is on its side, up rooted. My little deck boat looks fine. (The big boat (with the paddleboarder) is in California)

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know Jan M. - Ilya and others live in south Florida also.
Does anyone else have an update on their house?

I just got home today, we have power but no cable (tv & internet), my neighbors across the canal are still dark
I have roof leaks, it dosen't look too serious, but several pieces of shingle were in the yard, and there are water stains in several places inside. The banana treas are on the ground, the top of the orchid tree snapped. the avocado is on its side, up rooted. My little deck boat looks fine. (The big boat (with the paddleboarder) is in California)
Glad you left before your house was hit and you had a safe return trip home.
Did you have enough water damage that your house will have to gutted to the framing?
Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you!
Have you decided to head to California permanently?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know Jan M. - Ilya and others live in south Florida also.
Does anyone else have an update on their house?

Glad you left before your house was hit and you had a safe return trip home.
Did you have enough water damage that your house will have to gutted to the framing?
Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you!
Have you decided to head to California permanently?

Nothing like that

In fact I think the shingles I found are from a neighbor's house. And I don't see any water in my house only some stains on the ceiling. No puddles on the floor It's clear water got in, but not a whole lot. Chances are it blew in through a ridge vent

I was gone for 6 days. And had electric when I got back yesterday. If I lost power at all it was only for a day. My neighbors across the canal still don't have power and I can hear their generators all day and night

I will probably lose my avacodo tree it didn't break but it was partially uprooted, the bananas are gone and I lost a hedge and an orchid tree

I got lucky

I don't know about Jan

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cut the banana trees about a foot from the ground. Should come back bigger then before. An avocado tree can be cut as high as possible on the main trunk and it will grow back as well. May give it a chance for the roots to stabilize or be too much stress for the tree at once. But worth a shot.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cut the banana trees about a foot from the ground. Should come back bigger then before. An avocado tree can be cut as high as possible on the main trunk and it will grow back as well. May give it a chance for the roots to stabilize or be too much stress for the tree at once. But worth a shot.
I know about the banana . I thin them out every year, cutting about half of them to the ground.. and i have to do it again the next year
Ive got a tree guy coming in next week to try to save the avacodo

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Is there any place on Wyndham that lists the status of resorts impacted by Irma. You would not think it would be so hard to find info. But not finding anything.

OK, I am updating my own post. Trying to book a stay at the resort is the ONLY place these Irma updates show up. They should populate this info someplace else in addition to the booking method. Yet again wyndham has no idea of how people want to look up information.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Is there any place on Wyndham that lists the status of resorts impacted by Irma. You would not think it would be so hard to find info. But not finding anything.

Wyndham has that annoying Hurricane Irma banner that loads every time a page loads. Once when you log in would be sufficient. I haven't seen what I would call "up to date" notices. A lot of Florida resorts purport to be open now or that they will open around 9/23. I suspect "open" doesn't mean "fully operational" in many cases.

I own at a non-Wyndham resort in Cocoa Beach, which was hit particularly hard. It has power but still doesn't have water. The resort's website says there is water intrusion in some oceanfront/ocean view units. (It has no other kind!) I wonder about the rest of the town and how quickly other places will open. I have a reservation there in early October that I never had any intention of occupying and don't want to rent not knowing the state of the facility and the village. May look for another week later if anything is available.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Wyndham has that annoying Hurricane Irma banner that loads every time a page loads. Once when you log in would be sufficient. I haven't seen what I would call "up to date" notices. A lot of Florida resorts purport to be open now or that they will open around 9/23. I suspect "open" doesn't mean "fully operational" in many cases.

I own at a non-Wyndham resort in Cocoa Beach, which was hit particularly hard. It has power but still doesn't have water. The resort's website says there is water intrusion in some oceanfront/ocean view units. (It has no other kind!) I wonder about the rest of the town and how quickly other places will open. I have a reservation there in early October that I never had any intention of occupying and don't want to rent not knowing the state of the facility and the village. May look for another week later if anything is available.
I had the same thought. One time per login is enough! Also maybe date it so we know if it's something we've already read. Hard to tell if/when it was last updated until you read it.

Good luck regarding other concerns noted (locations open, status, etc). Yes, it would be nice if there was detailed information available (and not in the banner, the banner could direct us to the detailed info).

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

OK, I am updating my own post. Trying to book a stay at the resort is the ONLY place these Irma updates show up. They should populate this info someplace else in addition to the booking method. Yet again wyndham has no idea of how people want to look up information.

That's not even the case. I have our bishop and his extended family staying at Edisto in a 4 bedroom Presidential starting next Sunday 9/24. Because of this post I checked in making a reservation there. No warning. Just not available. So I called the resort. Guess what: they're currently closed. And they plan to open September 22 but only partially. And the four-bedroom presidential unit probably will not be ready. There are 12 people flying in to stay at that unit.

What a mess. But Wyndham has their priorities. They sent me a message stating I have two reservations with the same name and they're going to cancel it if I don't buy a guest reservation.

Good Lord is this company screwed up or what? They could not contact me to let me know that we have a potential snafu but they did contact me to let me know that they want their $99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
We booked a four day stay at Santa Barbara for our son, starting September 29. I hope the resort does open again that day. We received no notice about the closure from Wyndham. I tried calling the resort tonight and was told it was closed due to the hurricane, and that we'd have to call owner services in the morning to find out if we need to cancel the reservation or not. Our son already booked air travel (not Southwest), so it would be expensive for him to have to switch to a different destination. Any recommendations for this situation?

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Wyndham Santa Barbara Overview
Resort Closure
  • Resort closed thru 10/12/17.
Renovation Notice
  • The resort will undergo air conditioning unit upgrades and exterior painting Sept. 1 - Oct. 31, 2017. Parking may be restricted in some areas. Dates are subject to change"
The above was copied from the Extra Holidays site.

A Wyndham Rep will advise in the morning if Wyndham is honoring existing reservations. If not and the situation is such that a different town is not doable, the best option might be to cancel the reservation and see if any hotels etc. are open and taking reservations in the area.

The other option is to look at other Wyndham Resorts in Florida and rent a car to drive to whatever is within reach.

EAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Club Wyndham page still says Santa Barbara due to reopen on the 29th, but the Extra Holidays site says it is closed until October 12. It would be nice if they were consistent.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Club Wyndham page still says Santa Barbara due to reopen on the 29th, but the Extra Holidays site says it is closed until October 12. It would be nice if they were consistent.

Perhaps they don't want to rent and subject themselves to negative reviews because of the noise, but it's ok for point users.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I'm still in Cleveland, Ohio at our son's since August 25 to help them with our granddaughters while our son trains for a new position. He normally works nights but the training is on the day shift. I will finally be going home on Monday.

I booked my husband a night at Cypress Palms and a flight up here on Friday morning before Irma hit. The drive to Orlando that Thursday afternoon took longer than normal as there were several accidents on the turnpike that had traffic stopped. He ended up getting off the turnpike to take a different route. Getting him home was a much bigger challenge. He was supposed to fly home on Tuesday but had his flight cancelled that day and the next also. On Thursday he was finally able to get back to Orlando. I had reserved covered parking for him and the car sustained no damage, he had no problem finding an open gas station and the drive back to Tamarac was uneventful.

Our home is fine. The neighbors said the power was off for several hours. When he was closing up the house before leaving I told my husband to freeze a cup of water and set a quarter on top of the ice. When he got home the quarter was still on top of the ice so he knew everything in the freezer was fine. The only casualty was the big pot with my bougainvillea in it. Between the wind and the water cascading off the roof the pot broke and plant fell out. The plant itself survived the hurricane but may not survive my husband's attempt to re-pot it.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I'm still in Cleveland, Ohio at our son's since August 25 to help them with our granddaughters while our son trains for a new position. He normally works nights but the training is on the day shift. I will finally be going home on Monday.

I booked my husband a night at Cypress Palms and a flight up here on Friday morning before Irma hit. The drive to Orlando that Thursday afternoon took longer than normal as there were several accidents on the turnpike that had traffic stopped. He ended up getting off the turnpike to take a different route. Getting him home was a much bigger challenge. He was supposed to fly home on Tuesday but had his flight cancelled that day and the next also. On Thursday he was finally able to get back to Orlando. I had reserved covered parking for him and the car sustained no damage, he had no problem finding an open gas station and the drive back to Tamarac was uneventful.

Our home is fine. The neighbors said the power was off for several hours. When he was closing up the house before leaving I told my husband to freeze a cup of water and set a quarter on top of the ice. When he got home the quarter was still on top of the ice so he knew everything in the freezer was fine. The only casualty was the big pot with my bougainvillea in it. Between the wind and the water cascading off the roof the pot broke and plant fell out. The plant itself survived the hurricane but may not survive my husband's attempt to re-pot it.
Glad your home is fine. Love your tip of freezing a cup of ice and setting a quarter on the top. Will be a standard in my freezer from now on.