• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Elara Westgate question (2017)

shamus56

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own an old westgate plannet Hollywood 2 bedroom lock off in the now hgvc elara. A salesman today said that the elara was just purchased by the blackstone group and Hilton and that the old westgate deeds would be transferred to different westgate resorts. I don't see how this is possible with deeded units and maintenance fees already go to HGVC. Does anyone have any ideas on this - I don/t want to have to buy another from Hilton to be able to convert my current unit to points and be able stay in the elara. Any suggestions?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Not true. They can't make you purchase anything. They would either have to transfer you for free or if allowing Westgate members to convert with purchase they would need to maintain a separate pool of units for owners who refuse to pay for conversion.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Hilton did not buy it out, they only took a 25% share.

Never trust the half truths that pass a salesmans lips, he's just trying to make a sale.

http://www.hgv.com/hilton-grand-vac...rm-joint-venture-to-purchase-elara/index.html

ORLANDO, Fla. (July 19, 2017) – Hilton Grand Vacations Inc. (NYSE:HGV) (“HGV” or “the Company”) announces the formation of a joint venture with affiliates of Blackstone Real Estate Partners VIII L.P., which purchased Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club. With 1,201 units, Elara is one of the world’s largest timeshare resorts. HGV will assume a 25 percent stake in the joint venture for approximately $40 million, which is expected to be accretive to HGV’s total adjusted EBITDA and EPS.

“Today’s acquisition advances one of our key strategic priorities that is growth through opportunistic business ventures, which allows us to continue to maximize shareholder value,” says Mark Wang, president and CEO, Hilton Grand Vacations. “By taking an ownership stake in Elara, which has more than 500 units of sellable inventory remaining, we are receiving a strong-performing consumer loan portfolio and unfinished penthouse floors.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Back when HGVC first assumed management of Elara, many thought some deal might be made to help the orphaned Westgate owners. That did not happen, and it won't. Now, it seems Westgate would like to "help you out," by re-selling you something you already own. There's no reason to bite on that cynical approach. Just as you are stuck with them and they are stuck with you.

shamus56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. It's Hilton that are trying to sell me their smallest eoy studio which would then allow me to convert my westgate planet Hollywood over to hgvc points but I don't think I really need to! They want $16,000 to do so for very little advantage as far as I can tell

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Interesting. But their pricing is highway robbery.
Resale, you could buy a 7000-point annual TS for about 1/2 that amount, and keep or sell your Westgate TS.

They otter be ashamed.

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
I was looking into purchasing the Elara also, the one I found is deeded from Westgate. It is on the weeks program. Is everything I read about the past all clear now? I read some horror stories about week 52 not being guaranteed even though they were deeded that week.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I was looking into purchasing the Elara also, the one I found is deeded from Westgate.

You do know that Elara is now managed by+for HGVC, and "Wastegate" owners are treated like "foreigners,"right?

Westgate has a poor reputation. Owners, generally, are treated poorly and resorts like the personal property of Westgate's founder - David Siegel. He and his wife Jackie were the subjects of the documentary "The Queen of Versailles," about their quest to build the largest house in America, a 90,000 square foot monument to excess. The company's lack of ethics is shown by the new TS they built in Orlando with a fraudulently obtained building permit. It has yet to open due to lawsuits between it, the county and the woman they tried to evict.
-- See: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-westgate-sues-to-open-tower-20170813-story.html

But whatever floats your boat, dude. At least you'll be in the same building as the HGVC peep.

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
You do know that Elara is now managed by+for HGVC, and "Wastegate" owners are treated like "foreigners,"right?

Westgate has a poor reputation. Owners, generally, are treated poorly and resorts like the personal property of Westgate's founder - David Siegel. He and his wife Jackie were the subjects of the documentary "The Queen of Versailles," about their quest to build the largest house in America, a 90,000 square foot monument to excess. The company's lack of ethics is shown by the new TS they built in Orlando with a fraudulently obtained building permit. It has yet to open due to lawsuits between it, the county and the woman they tried to evict.
-- See: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-westgate-sues-to-open-tower-20170813-story.html

But whatever floats your boat, dude. At least you'll be in the same building as the HGVC peep.
that still doesn't answer my question. And YES, I do know Elara is managed by HGVC.

shamus56

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am actually staying at the Elara just now and am being treated very well even though I’m a Westgate owner. I have not seen anything negative so far although I’m still qurious about what I was told at the last HGVC presentation. I’m pretty sure I was lied to!

Andrearr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Villages (Bella) Vistana
I am actually staying at the Elara just now and am being treated very well even though I’m a Westgate owner. I have not seen anything negative so far although I’m still qurious about what I was told at the last HGVC presentation. I’m pretty sure I was lied to!
What room type did you have?

ceichten

Reaction score
I just learned today that in September 2020, the Board of Directors signed a unanimous consent to no longer allow rentals at Elara for Planet Hollywood Westgate owners. I personally own more than 40 units that are deeded in my company name and purchased to rent out for Las Vegas conventions, as I have been doing now for 7+ years. The Elara front desk would not allow 2 of my guests to check in, and I was provided with the attached today. I am waiting for an answer back from the board, but I really so no choice but to sue at this point?

Also, anyone that is a Planet Hollywood Westgate Elara owner, I am the Administrator of a Facebook group called Elara Las Vegas (Westgate/Planet Hollywood) Original Owners Group, please request to join if you are an original owner.

Attachments

• LV 52 - UWC - Owner Rental Restrictions - 2020.pdf
    141 KB · Views: 56