• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recommendation to get Pesos prior to Cozumel Trip versus using US Currency

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We have a Capital One checking account that we use just for vacations. They do not charge a foreign transfer fee when we use the Debit Card. So, the only cost for our Pesos is the small amount that the Mexico bank charges. We always use Pesos in Mexico and try to bring some home for our next trip. I tend to bring back as many as I took.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Does anyone know of any banks such as HSBC that you can access or deposit cash in US AND Mexico for no fee? Essentially using them in either country?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Does anyone know of any banks such as HSBC that you can access or deposit cash in US AND Mexico for no fee? Essentially using them in either country?
Check out Bank of America, HSBC, and Santander to see if they meet your needs.

Richard

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
If you have a Bank of America account, you can use a Scotia bank ATM to withdraw pesos, at bank exchange rates and with no ATM feel.

It used to be Santander bank which is more convenient because they are more Santander ATMs in Mexico. But since Bank of America (BOA) switched to Scotia, I don't like it. PV airport has Scotia ATM, but not Cancun airport. I have to go to Playa del Carmen to find Scotia ATM.

Richard, when we travel, no matter where, we NEVER order foreign currency from our home (or any other) bank. The exchange rate sux and then they hit you with shipping costs.

I did use BOA foreign currency exchange service when traveling to Asia. The $10 shipping is an extra cost but I can exchange multiple currencies all in one shot (Thai Baht, Malaysian Ringgit, Indonesian Rupiah, and Singapore dollar). For Mexican Peso, getting the money from airport ATM is easier.

We try to use our credit card where we can since that exchange rate will always be the best you can get.
Yes. Charge everything to CC. You'll get the reward points and best currency exchange (better than ATM).

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Check Charles Schwab Bank. They refund all ATM fees, anywhere.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It used to be Santander bank which is more convenient because they are more Santander ATMs in Mexico. But since Bank of America (BOA) switched to Scotia, I don't like it. PV airport has Scotia ATM, but not Cancun airport. I have to go to Playa del Carmen to find Scotia ATM.

We travel to PV annually, and Scotia is more convenient than Santander.
Yes. Charge everything to CC. You'll get the reward points and best currency exchange (better than ATM).
Our Alaska Airlines VISA also does not charge foreign transaction fees. No reason not to use CC as long as you are comfortable giving the credit card to the vendor.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I monitor exchange rates throughout the entire year, and buy them from my local bank here at home before we leave. I come out ahead nearly every time.

Oh, and remember to remove your hat before entering a bank in Mexico. ;)

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We buy pesos at Bank of America before we head to Mexico. For us, our credit card pays for most items such as resort charges which often include activities , groceries and rental car. Pesos are used mainly at the local businesses and for tips.

A few years back the Mexican Government, God bless them, decided to limit the amount of pesos you can exchange each day. They also decided to require a passport. The limit was about $300 if I remember correctly. The ATM's didn't require the passport to get pesos but you had to find one and the transaction had a limit. I don't like looking for the ATM because the only safe ATM in Mexico is at the bank. All other ATM's are hackable and these ATM hacks are happening at many places tourist frequent.

Buying pesos at our Bank of America is pretty easy but they do need to order the pesos for us and it does take a few days. There is no fee on orders of $1000. Bank of America will buy the pesos back but we save the left overs for the next Mexican trip.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/foreign-exchange/buying-foreign-currency-faq.go

Bill

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use the nearest ATM upon arrival and bring small USD bills.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
What would be the best option for paying a cab to get from CZM to anywhere on the island? US dollars? Credit card? Pesos?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
What would be the best option for paying a cab to get from CZM to anywhere on the island? US dollars? Credit card? Pesos?
Pesos. When we were there 1.5 years ago, I think the exchange rate was about 17:1, but when I asked what the cab fare was in pesos and then USD, the cabbie quoted me a 10:1 exchange rate for USD (probably because it was just easier). I don't think credit card was an option.

We got pesos from an ATM in the airport when we arrived -- the screens were in both Spanish and English so it was no problem.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BTW, you cannot take a taxi from the CZM airport -- they are not allowed to pick up there, only drop off. Instead, they have group vans, where you purchase a ticket at a counter inside the airport right by the exit door, and then they load you up w/ other people going the same general area. I read that sometimes it can take a while to get to your place because they make other stops.

The other option is to just walk out of the airport and across the street from the main entrance to a little taco stand there (less than a 1000' walk), and from there you can catch a cab. It was an easy walk and the food at the stand was quite tasty as well!

If you didn't want to do the walk, I'm sure the vans would be fine.

Kurt

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Use the nearest ATM upon arrival and bring small USD bills.
Wrong advice. Use the nearest *BANK* ATM upon arrival. Santander is a good one. Transaction fees at bank ATMs in Mexico are less that half of the going rates in the US. Do not be put off if it says the fee is $30 or so. That's pesos. Beware non-bank ATMs. Fees there can be high. Bringing some small US bills to tide you over is not a bad idea. But keep in mind that the folks you give them to will just have to take them to a money changer, who will charge them a fee to convert to pesos.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Always use a Bank ATM - Sandanter, BBVA/Bancomer, Banamex, HSB, Scotia are the ones you will most like see. We just got back and would generally get 6000 pesos at a time. That was $318.30 in US Dollars. Many places posted 15 pesos to the $1, ($400 US for the 6000 pesos) but the bank gave us 18.84 pesos per $1.

We brought back enough for taxi & Mega shopping trip at Riviera Maya in April. :) We always bring home $250-$300 in USD equivalent for our next trip.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wrong advice. Use the nearest *BANK* ATM upon arrival. Santander is a good one. Transaction fees at bank ATMs in Mexico are less that half of the going rates in the US. Do not be put off if it says the fee is $30 or so. That's pesos. Beware non-bank ATMs. Fees there can be high. Bringing some small US bills to tide you over is not a bad idea. But keep in mind that the folks you give them to will just have to take them to a money changer, who will charge them a fee to convert to pesos.
Wrong? I guess if you din’t specify bank ATM in the advice that makes it wrong. I get it, Mexico is dangerous...The US is safe and you can use random ATMs without fear of your card info getting stolen...like my CCs and debit cards number have been stolen in the US and never in MX...

I travel 10+ times to Mexico per year and have NEVER had an issue with ANY ATMs...Same thing with 12+ international trips per year in addition to Mexico...but, what do I know...Just a lucky guy living on the edge recklessly...

As a side note, beware of CCs that charge international fees...@bobpark56 please feel to correct my advice as you see fit.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As a side note, beware of CCs that charge international fees.
Another note about credit cards -- some merchants and hotels will convert your purchase to USD and then charge your CC in USD. Don't let them do this -- have them charge in Pesos, as you will get the bank exchange rate, not the rate the merchant uses.

When we checked out of NV Grand Mayan a couple of weeks ago, they initially presented the bill and had converted the total to USD and wanted to charge that. I told them to run it as Pesos and they did. When I got home, I checked my CC account online to see the actual conversion rate I got, and the charge would have been over $50 more if charged in USD! This was on a ~$1,100 bill.

Kurt

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another note about credit cards -- some merchants and hotels will convert your purchase to USD and then charge your CC in USD. Don't let them do this -- have them charge in Pesos, as you will get the bank exchange rate, not the rate the merchant uses.

When we checked out of NV Grand Mayan a couple of weeks ago, they initially presented the bill and had converted the total to USD and wanted to charge that. I told them to run it as Pesos and they did. When I got home, I checked my CC account online to see the actual conversion rate I got, and the charge would have been over $50 more if charged in USD! This was on a ~$1,100 bill.

Kurt
I agree, I always check the charge is in pesos.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

Kurt

AND - if your from Canada , UK etc : ALWAYS have the resort charge it in Pesos ( or you will have 2 currency conversion charges)

I have a Chase Canada Marriott card that charges no foreign transaction fee , and gives a decent currency conversion rate .
I try to put all our significant charges on that card while in Mexico .

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Wrong? I guess if you din’t specify bank ATM in the advice that makes it wrong. I get it, Mexico is dangerous...The US is safe and you can use random ATMs without fear of your card info getting stolen...like my CCs and debit cards number have been stolen in the US and never in MX...

I travel 10+ times to Mexico per year and have NEVER had an issue with ANY ATMs...Same thing with 12+ international trips per year in addition to Mexico...but, what do I know...Just a lucky guy living on the edge recklessly...

As a side note, beware of CCs that charge international fees...@bobpark56 please feel to correct my advice as you see fit.
I agree with everything you say here. But your initial advice could have led folks bit astray, as non-bank ATMs in Mexico can charge rather high fees. Your advice as to credit cards and foreign exchange fees is on point. There are many good cards that do not charge card fees for foreign exchanges. But there is still the ATM fee to keep one's eye on.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
But there is still the ATM fee to keep one's eye on.
Yes, there is, but it's generally quite small. Even though in Mexico, they use the 'dollar' sign($) to denote pesos, so that screen on the ATM where you agree to the fee, it might say that its $15 or $20- or even $30, but it's PESOS and amounts to under 2 US dollars. So if you are following Phyllis' example and getting 6,000 pesos (over $300 USD) the bank fee as a very reasonable 0.5%

Jim

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
AND - if your from Canada , UK etc : ALWAYS have the resort charge it in Pesos ( or you will have 2 currency conversion charges)

I have a Chase Canada Marriott card that charges no foreign transaction fee , and gives a decent currency conversion rate .
I try to put all our significant charges on that card while in Mexico .

And also for Canadians, you can get the Amazon Visa(Chase) which has no annual fee and does not charge the foreign fees.

I am pretty sure that the Marriott card and Amazon are the only no foreign transaction fee options for us Canucks

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, depending on your bank and account, you may get the fees reimbursed. Mine reimburses ATM unlimited fees.