• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"BEWARE" of your CarFax Report

Brett

Reaction score
Most people I know stopped using nav systems in their vehicles years ago and use their cell phones. I thought auto manufacturers dropped them. Curious what you paid for that nav package.

I use the WAZE app on cell phone for navigation. it constantly updates traffic conditions, maps, etc. even tells you when a police car is up ahead!

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
We still buy the NAV package with every car that we buy and we have been doing so since 1999. NAV with the car is alot more convenient then trying to attach a phone or tablet and glancing down at the mobile device for direction - just relying on voice does not work for me. The downside of NAV with the car is that the maps are usually more outdated than google directions on the tablet.

Not inconvenient at all. Pop the phone into the dash holder, done. Nothing to "attach", and certainly not difficult.

Car nav systems are usually more outdated than Google Earth? How about from the time your vehicle left the dealership? :ponder:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not inconvenient at all. Pop the phone into the dash holder, done. Nothing to "attach", and certainly not difficult.

Car nav systems are usually more outdated than Google Earth? How about from the time your vehicle left the dealership? :ponder:
We actually buy periodic update from navtech and such.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
We actually buy periodic update from navtech and such.

My phone updates itself. No addt. charge.

Hey, to each their own. I just thought car nav systems went away. Apparently there are still folks out there willing to spend money on them.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I agree, it's not worth the cost -- I like the Waze app.
Sometimes, I even run both the nav and Waze at the same time.

DW frequently drives a group of peep to meetings in various cities.
I doubt she can put a destination on her cellphone, or even load a map.
But she likes using the screen to punch the address book with 1-2 jabs.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So- when we were at the dealer they printed up a sheet with the monthly payment amounts for longer term loans like 4 and 5 years. I then asked for a 3 year loan print out. I also asked what the interest rate was. They said- they don;t know yet because they have to run my credit with several banks.

So, then I asked if they don't know the interest rate how do they know what the monthly payments will be? No answer.

Today I get a text saying the interest would be 2.49% and even with not trading in our RAV (which they only offered us $200 for, so we sold it privately) the monthly payments will be the same because the interest rate is low! Wait! What? :ponder:
:confused:o_O

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My phone updates itself. No addt. charge.

Hey, to each their own. I just thought car nav systems went away. Apparently there are still folks out there willing to spend money on them.

We use a Magellan in our car.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I was offended to learn that an update to my $600 Toyota nav system would cost $75 and the data would be six months old when I got it. My Garmin cost $99 and got a free annual update. The latest one is bigger and has unlimited updates for a few $ more.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was offended to learn that an update to my $600 Toyota nav system would cost $75 and the data would be six months old when I got it. My Garmin cost $99 and got a free annual update. The latest one is bigger and has unlimited updates for a few $ more.

But it doesn't provide real-time info such as traffic, police, etc like the cell phone in your pocket does ;)

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
But it doesn't provide real-time info such as traffic, police, etc like the cell phone in your pocket does.

Garmin "LMT" models include traffic... but not always as timely as Waze, nor police locations.
I ran both Garmin and Waze on I-75 during a rainstorm. Waze had all the slip+slide accidents.
OTOH, the Garmin was much better at lane-assist with split-screen depictions of the exits.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There are still some people that don't have or use smart phones that want nav.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
There are still some people that don't have or use smart phones that want nav.
I have a nav system in my car, as does dh. I only use my car for around town driving. I use the nav when I'm going someplace I haven't been before. Where we live there is very little new development or change, so I don't need to update it often. I like the larger screen on the nav than I have on my phone, and the ease of entering information as opposed to the small phone screen and keyboard. We don't get enough traffic that I need to be updated as to traffic time and such.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I use a printed out map quest direction sheet if I am going somewhere I haven't been and a Road Atlas. LOL!

I love paper maps!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I use a printed out map quest direction sheet if I am going somewhere I haven't been and a Road Atlas. LOL!

I love paper maps!
I don't love paper maps when I'm alone in my car trying to get someplace I've never been before. I like having someone tell me where I need to turn and seeing the screen in front of me. :)

But when dh and I take road trips I love having at atlas in the car. I like to see the "big picture" of where we are and where we're going.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I use a printed out mapquest direction sheet if I am going somewhere I haven't been and a Road Atlas.

The "Dark Ages" of car travel.
B4 GPS, I once tried following a printed map near Mount St. Helens, WA.
I stopped at a little store, put the map on the counter and said:
-- "Can you help me? I don't know where I am." --
The lady behind the counter said, "Don't worry. I know where you are."

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know my iPhone Siri can direct me wherever I want to go (as long as she understands my request), but I still love my nav system. I like the larger screen vs. phone, address book, hands-free link, etc.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't love paper maps when I'm alone in my car trying to get someplace I've never been before. I like having someone tell me where I need to turn and seeing the screen in front of me. :)

But when dh and I take road trips I love having at atlas in the car. I like to see the "big picture" of where we are and where we're going.

That's exactly me in terms of taking road trips with my husband. I am the navigator!

But when I drive, having a screen in front of me I find distracting. I like to read the directions BEFORE I leave and check out a map if I need to. If I get a little lost, I pull over and look at the map and re read the directions. But that is rare.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The "Dark Ages" of car travel.
B4 GPS, I once tried following a printed map near Mount St. Helens, WA.
I stopped at a little store, put the map on the counter and said:
-- "Can you help me? I don't know where I am." --
The lady behind the counter said, "Don't worry. I know where you are."

It might be dark ages to some but I can't tell you how many times my husbands' GPS has taken us on crazy back dirt roads or the long way because it doesn't recognize you can take a ferry or that there is a seasonal road that closes in winter, etc. I can't even tell you how many times I have argued with my husband because on the GPS he can't see the big picture and the directions it is giving are not the best way.

Also, my husband tends to take his hand off the wheel to fiddle with the darn thing at times- clicking through and so on- when something doesn't seem right. Almost as bad as texting and driving!

But that said- the GPS has helped get us to where we need to be in times of confusion and I have been glad we had it.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
For the record, I use my phone. I use it mostly for traffic because I drive in a city every day. At any rate, I also like to see the entire route before I start, and I still find paper maps to be useful, especially on a long road trip. But when we travel, my husband always wants to drive (whatever, I don't care that much) and he prefers technology for anything and everything.

When we went to Ireland, I tried to help him navigate using a <gasp> paper map, but he would put our destination into his phone and off we would go. I, of course, would double check things on the map just in case. I would offer my suggestions but since neither one of us had ever been to Ireland, he wanted to trust the GPS. I could see it choosing odd routes but I figured as long as we got to where we were going, it would be fine. But I was still a bit peeved. Then one day, when we were almost to a highway it told him to turn right. It then proceeded to take us down one of those famous narrow Irish lanes, running parallel to the the highway the whole time. It meandered for a mile or two, getting narrower and narrower the further we went, causing us to have to pull over multiple times to let cars on the other side squeeze by us, and finally let us out on a larger road, and then the GPS took us to the highway. Now, I admit, I sat on my side chuckling to myself the whole time, and when we finally got out on the highway, I said "I am sure glad that I'm not the one who told you to go down *that* road". :D Fun times with the GPS.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
For the record, I use my phone. I use it mostly for traffic because I drive in a city every day. At any rate, I also like to see the entire route before I start, and I still find paper maps to be useful, especially on a long road trip. But when we travel, my husband always wants to drive (whatever, I don't care that much) and he prefers technology for anything and everything.

When we went to Ireland, I tried to help him navigate using a <gasp> paper map, but he would put our destination into his phone and off we would go. I, of course, would double check things on the map just in case. I would offer my suggestions but since neither one of us had ever been to Ireland, he wanted to trust the GPS. I could see it choosing odd routes but I figured as long as we got to where we were going, it would be fine. But I was still a bit peeved. Then one day, when we were almost to a highway it told him to turn right. It then proceeded to take us down one of those famous narrow Irish lanes, running parallel to the the highway the whole time. It meandered for a mile or two, getting narrower and narrower the further we went, causing us to have to pull over multiple times to let cars on the other side squeeze by us, and finally let us out on a larger road, and then the GPS took us to the highway. Now, I admit, I sat on my side chuckling to myself the whole time, and when we finally got out on the highway, I said "I am sure glad that I'm not the one who told you to go down *that* road". :D Fun times with the GPS.

OMG! This EXACT thing happened with us in Scotland! Same circumstances and everything! The darn GPS had us on some narrow one lane (but two way) dirt road for miles and miles until we came to a dead end at Loch Lomond. We were not supposed to be headed there. I knew it was wrong but can't argue with hubby and his GPS! We had to head back the same way we came. Thankfully, we made it back to the resort before dark. We wasted hours on that day!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Anyway, back on topic, we are going to buy this used car on Saturday. Wish me luck because we have never bought a used car before and I am nervous. We will probably be there for hours checking over the car again!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Anyway, back on topic, we are going to buy this used car on Saturday. Wish me luck because we have never bought a used car before and I am nervous. We will probably be there for hours checking over the car again!

I just upgraded my wife’s Honda to a 2015 used model. It only has 13k miles. It was used by the dealer as a loaner, in perfect shape and certified with the balance of the warranty. Most of the same year lease returns were 30k miles and beat on. Now is a good time to purchase, the 2018 models are coming out and they are closing out 2017 models and upgrading their loaner cars.

I used Cars.com to locate it, just set the mileage filter to under 15k.

This is the second one I’ve purchased like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We saw this one on Autotrader. When we looked on line we quickly realized used SUVs were expensive and it was hard to find one in our price range. I feel once we start looking at cars in the $20,000+ price range we might as well by a new one. This is the only one that fit the bill that we could find. We will be lucky to get it with 33,000 miles, 2016, $16,500, non-certified. Most others had high mileage already or were older with low mileage but even more expensive. Maybe get a year out of the warranty. Plus, in NY we have to add tax, which makes it even more expensive. We were really hoping we wouldn't have to buy another car until retirement because of all the mileage we have to put on the cars due to work. We wanted to buy our next car when we moved to New Hampshire and would avoid the tax. We will be lucky to even have any of our cars by the time we retire. And we keep them long and until high mileage is on them. With this car, will have owned 15 in our 40 years of marriage! All mainly due to work! All that money I should have really taken a bunch of years off work-would have made out the same! Wouldn't have needed that many cars!

Meanwhile, yesterday the dealer tried to get me to take out the 2.49% financing- that I "would be better off". Really? I am getting .75% on my savings! Don't think so! I know they skim off the top and make money on the financing. No thanks. I'll pay cash, even though I hate to part with my money all at once. I'll work on "paying myself back". Might have bitten for 1%.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I hear you, that was my experience car shopping this past month. My wife loved her 2007 CR-V so it was a no brainer to jump on this 2015 model. She had 145,000 miles on it so I felt lucky to get $4,100 trade value. List price was $21,500, so out the door with tax and docs it was $19,500. New models are selling for $28,000, by the time you get out the door its $31,000.

For some reason they had the original sale date listed as July 2016, so we get bumper to bumper warranty until July 2019 and powertrain out to 2023.

I decided to finance at the credit union and leave my cash in the bank. It was 2.24% so the finance charge worked out to about $1100 on a 5 yr term. I just opened this as a new account and they had a promo for $200 cash bonus after 60 days so that offsets the interest too.

Take your time, you will find a deal that works for you. I wanted something for under $20,000 out the door with under 15,000 miles and found it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro