• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Destination Points

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was on the fence with Destination points for a while. We usually travel around peak weeks ( Christmas, Spring break, prime summer weeks ) and thus buying a week unless it is an event week is not going to help. Our primary destination is Hawaii , I have Worldmark and HGVC , so Big Island and Oahu is covered, thou we prefer Marriott. We also make lot of short trips ( NCV, Tahoe etc ) and thus the executive point savings (25%) on short trips looks really attractive. I did not find a 7000+ point account and thus planning to get a 6500 point account and later buy some more to get to the executive level. MF is pretty high but much lower than renting week 50 and 51 in Hawaii ( 1 Br OV for week 51 and 52 will be 9500 points). This year we are staying week 51 at Westin and Week 52 at Worldmark but definitely would prefer Marriott. I have 2 questions before I finalize the purchase

1) Is there a good chance of getting week 51 and 52 at 13 months out ?. If the availability is not there, there is no real value in getting the points. All the other weeks we are able to travel are also prime weeks BUT we can plan the trips 13 months out.

2) I read that Marriott is putting more restrictions on combining point accounts if the anniversary month is not the same. My intention is to get a 7000+ account by buying multiple but if MVC is not letting to combine accounts, it may not work.

From ROFR.net I found few that passed ROFR below $2.50. I am giving offers around $2.30 - $2.40 , since it is already Q4, Marriott may have depleted some of the ROFR budget.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
6,500 resale trust points are going to come with at least $14,045 in junk fees to Marriott. Even if you could get them to pass at $2.50 per point, you are still looking at an over $30,000 investment. I would suspect you could get an event week for close to that and be guaranteed the reservation you want. Points reservations for prime holiday weeks may not be all that easy. When you want to go somewhere else, rent the week out and use the cash to rent somewhere else.

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Maui week 51 OV is listed over 50K. Even at 13 months out the chances of scoring a 1 Br event week in Maui is very bleak ?. I like the idea of points as Worldmark and HGVC offers great flexibility with points. I used to have a Marriott week in Vegas, I sold it last year when trade via II got difficult and Marriott inventory was not much even with Marriott priority in II.

ERCK

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott-
Destination Club Exec
Ko Olina
Legends Edge - Plat +
Grand Vista Plat +
Yup, diox is correct.

I have Exec and own multiple Marriott's with multiple weeks. You can only reserve what is available or already deposited. Hawaii is tight at Marriott on any holiday week and owners tend to use those weeks first. Then multi week owners, exec or others with peak trading power get reserve like you 13+ months out or have access to internal deposits first when we have reserve first or contingent deposits etc.
There are no guarantees. Someone always has equal or more trading power, points or quicker dial than you! Some years it seems easy. Some not so much. Other years no inventory is to be had by anyone...

Erck

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much.. one more follow upp question
If we start booking around week 50 13 months out ( for e.g Dec 16 onwards ), will it make it easier to get event weeks ? Worldmark allows as long as the start date is inside 13 month window. HGVC will need end day to be inside 13 month window. Does MVC allow booking days outside 13 month window , as long as the start date is inside the window ?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Thank you very much.. one more follow upp question
If we start booking around week 50 13 months out ( for e.g Dec 16 onwards ), will it make it easier to get event weeks ? Worldmark allows as long as the start date is inside 13 month window. HGVC will need end day to be inside 13 month window. Does MVC allow booking days outside 13 month window , as long as the start date is inside the window ?

No. Marriott has inventory release days when they release inventory for an entire seven day period. For example, for points owners, the 13-month release date for December 20-26, 2017 was November 22, 2016; the 13-month release date for December 27, 2017 through January 3, 2018 was November 29, 2016, and so on. On these dates, up to 50% of the available inventory can be released. Then, there is a similar rolling release schedule for the 12-month reservation window when the rest of the inventory is released.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No. Marriott has inventory release days when they release inventory for an entire seven day period. For example, for points owners, the 13-month release date for December 20-26, 2017 was November 22, 2016; the 13-month release date for December 27, 2017 through January 3, 2018 was November 29, 2016, and so on. On these dates, up to 50% of the available inventory can be released. Then, there is a similar rolling release schedule for the 12-month reservation window when the rest of the inventory is released.
In your example, can a points owner a 12-day (greater than 7 days) stretch on Nov 22 2016 for a start date of Dec 20, 2017?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
In your example, can a points owner a 12-day (greater than 7 days) stretch on Nov 22 2016 for a start date of Dec 20, 2017?

I don't know. I've not needed to do that. Maybe someone else knows.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
In your example, can a points owner [book] a 12-day (greater than 7 days) stretch on Nov 22 2016 for a start date of Dec 20, 2017?
Yes....the released dates are released check in dates....so technically, you could book a 12 night stay even on the last available date currently released and get a jump on those wanting a 7 night stay starting one day later in a window that has not yet opened up.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes....the released dates are released check in dates....so technically, you could book a 12 night stay even on the last available date currently released and get a jump on those wanting a 7 night stay starting one day later in a window that has not yet opened up.
Thanks. I thought that was what OP was asking.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Thanks. I thought that was what OP was asking.

But with Marriott releasing inventory in 7-day batches, to achieve what the OP was wanting - getting a jump on others for week 51 13-month check-in days - wouldn't they have to book a full 14-night stay starting at the week 50 release day?

I thought the OP was asking whether Marriott allowed a technique like what I have read HGVC owners use to pick up high demand dates in Waikiki - called "walking" the reservation. As I understand it, HGVC doesn't release inventory in batches like Marriott, but they release inventory day-by-day. So HGVC owners will book their minimum stay (3 or 4-nights maybe?) on the first day that inventory is available (their window is based on check-out day, not check-in) and then add a day, one day at a time, until they get all the days they want booked. I don't think that would work with Marriott's model.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But with Marriott releasing inventory in 7-day batches, to achieve what the OP was wanting - getting a jump on others for week 51 13-month check-in days - wouldn't they have to book a full 14-night stay starting at the week 50 release day?

I thought the OP was asking whether Marriott allowed a technique like what I have read HGVC owners use to pick up high demand dates in Waikiki - called "walking" the reservation. As I understand it, HGVC doesn't release inventory in batches like Marriott, but they release inventory day-by-day. So HGVC owners will book their minimum stay (3 or 4-nights maybe?) on the first day that inventory is available (their window is based on check-out day, not check-in) and then add a day, one day at a time, until they get all the days they want booked. I don't think that would work with Marriott's model.
I believe with DC points, start of stay can be on any day and as long as the owner has enough points, she/he can book as many continuous days as there are points.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I believe with DC points, start of stay can be on any day and as long as the owner has enough points, she/he can book as many continuous days as there are points.

Yes. I agree. But in Marriott's DC Points system, wouldn't the only way to get week 51 ahead of other 13-month bookings be to reserve at least 14 days on the week 50 release date? Or maybe, since each Points week starts on a Wednesday, you could book an 8 night stay checking in on the last Tuesday of the Points week 50 (bookable on that release date), which would give you that day, plus all of Points week 51? Or, if you want to check-in on a Saturday, you would have to do an 11-night stay starting on the Saturday of week 50 and extending to the Tuesday of week 51?

One other thing that might be a fly in the ointment - when you look at the points charts, in most places, week 51/52 only show seven night booking points requirements. No nightly points are shown. Does this mean those time periods cannot be booked in stay lengths that are not in seven-day increments? The strategy above still might work if the individual nights could be booked for week 50, leaving a full week 51 7-night period intact, but it would not appear to work for week 52. If you want to get a jump on everyone else for week 52, you would have to book 14 nights during the week 51 window or up to 21 nights during the week 50 window?

Just thinking about all this is making my head hurt.

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
2) I read that Marriott is putting more restrictions on combining point accounts if the anniversary month is not the same. My intention is to get a 7000+ account by buying multiple but if MVC is not letting to combine accounts, it may not work.

I had not heard this, is this a confirmed issue?

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had not heard this, is this a confirmed issue?

I read about this in some forum, do not remember which one. It is a terrible situation to be in, once you close a sale and find out that accounts cannot be combined.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score

In this example, if you really only wanted to stay the 7 nights that start on the next day, could you then “TRIM” your 12 night reservation to a 7 night reservation. I know that people using Disney Vacation Club points sometimes do that. They call it walking a reservation, a term I had not heard before, but seems to be in the nomenclature of making Reservations.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In this example, if you really only wanted to stay the 7 nights that start on the next day, could you then “TRIM” your 12 night reservation to a 7 night reservation. I know that people using Disney Vacation Club points sometimes do that. They call it walking a reservation, a term I had not heard before, but seems to be in the nomenclature of making Reservations.
Does Marriott allow trimming as the way you have described?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Its allowed...but the "trimmed" points will likely be restricted to a Holding Account subject to the restrictions placed thereon.

From the MVC Exchange Docs
If a reservation is modified prior to the first day of a confirmed Use Period to result in a shorter duration than would have been permitted at the time the reservation was made, any Exchange Points restored to the Program Member shall be placed into the Program Member’s Holding Account, subject to the restrictions on Holding Accounts as set forth in these Exchange Procedures.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its allowed...but the "trimmed" points will likely be restricted to a Holding Account subject to the restrictions placed thereon.

From the MVC Exchange Docs
If a reservation is modified prior to the first day of a confirmed Use Period to result in a shorter duration than would have been permitted at the time the reservation was made, any Exchange Points restored to the Program Member shall be placed into the Program Member’s Holding Account, subject to the restrictions on Holding Accounts as set forth in these Exchange Procedures.
Why would that happen? If you cancel almost as soon as you make your reservation you’ll be well before the holding period begins

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Why would that happen? If you cancel almost as soon as you make your reservation you’ll be well before the holding period begins
I am just assuming they would cite and apply the doc section above as a way to dissuade folks from gaming the system, as apparently is being done in other systems.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Marriott allow trimming as the way you have described?
As I understand it, yes you can shrink a confirmed reservation resulting in a form of walking. It is dependent on released inventory. I know at times they don't release inventory until right at the full week 13 months out a week at a time based on the week start days for the timeshare week but at other times they release it early. What I don't know is how often they do each or how far out they tend to do so when they do. A true walking scenario as DVC does, is to keep adding days on the back end and canceling on the front end, I don't believe Marriott will allow simply adding days to a standing reservation but someone can correct me if this is incorrect. As a minimum one could tie up 9 or 10 nights at a time by starting on the Thursday or Friday depending not the resorts check in days. Then other members won't be able to reserve that unit until either it's released or until the next weeks inventory is released but only then for Sunday check in only for that last unit. This would improve the chances of securing the next week if they then canceled at the right time and rebooked. It give them an even better chance if they had enough points to leap frog the reservations. But in the end it'd be a lot of work for a relatively modest chance of getting ahead. But it likely is worth it to book 14 days and reduce it later to secure the next week if it's available online an extra week ahead 13 months out.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

The operative language may be:

to result in a shorter duration than would have been permitted at the time the reservation was made

So in this case you are suggesting, the inventory would go into holding not because it was cancelled inside of 60 days, but because the resulting shorter duration trip after you cancelled the extra days "would not have been permitted at the time the reservation was made"

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if icydog is asking about trimming or pure cancel and rebook. I think "trimming" will result in putting the excess points a holding account but a pure cancel and rebook will not. But cancel and rebook does not assure that the days are still available upon a cancellation and not booked by another owner at the same time.