• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Owner Question

wiluna

Reaction score
Hi

We are new owners of a 2 bedroom/3 bath lock off at MOC every year in the original towers. If we want to split the unit into a 1 bed/2 bath and a studio is that done through Marriott or is that done through II?

Some years when we use it we may want to split it to get two weeks of vacation or if we choose to rent it we would like to maximize the money we get from it. I want to make sure I know how these things work.

Thank you!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi

We are new owners of a 2 bedroom/3 bath lock off at MOC every year in the original towers. If we want to split the unit into a 1 bed/2 bath and a studio is that done through Marriott or is that done through II?

Some years when we use it we may want to split it to get two weeks of vacation or if we choose to rent it we would like to maximize the money we get from it. I want to make sure I know how these things work.

Thank you!
Through Marriott. I assume your week is not enrolled since you just bought it, you will be charged $80 lockoff fee.

wiluna

Reaction score
Through Marriott. I assume your week is not enrolled since you just bought it, you will be charged $80 lockoff fee.

Oh awesome...so it doesn't sound like the process is too difficult to do. You are correct our week is not enrolled. We actually purchased two annual weeks there so we are hoping at some point to get in on one of the owner deals to enroll.

Thank you!

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wilona

Welcome to TUG!!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh awesome...so it doesn't sound like the process is too difficult to do. You are correct our week is not enrolled. We actually purchased two annual weeks there so we are hoping at some point to get in on one of the owner deals to enroll.

Thank you!

Not to burst your bubble but there are no owner deals to enroll new resale weeks. The closest it comes is purchasing a load of points for many tens of thousands of dollars and then paying even more to enroll the resale weeks. Even that might not be an option but it isn’t worth it anyway.

Weeks ownership is great by itself.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Not to burst your bubble but there are no owner deals to enroll new resale weeks. The closest it comes is purchasing a load of points for many tens of thousands of dollars and then paying even more to enroll the resale weeks. Even that might not be an option but it isn’t worth it anyway.

Weeks ownership is great by itself.

You are correct that the only way Marriott has ever offered to enroll new post-2010 external resale week(s) is to purchase at least 3000 DPs at a cost of $30K+, but there is no additional cost to actually enroll the week(s). The purchase of the DPs enrolls the week(s) for "free". They have offered such a deal for a few months each of the last three years. We can only assume they may do it again in the future, but who knows?

I've never run the numbers on one of these since we don't have any unenrolled external weeks yet, but someone with two annual MOC 2BR weeks would be sitting on between 9000 and 13000 potential DPs, depending on what view they own. I believe the previous offers required a 5000 DP purchase to enroll two weeks, so for $55K or so, such an owner would achieve instant Chairman's status with 14000 to 18000 points. While expensive, if someone needed and could always use that many DPs, I would think the numbers might actually look pretty attractive, especially if that owner wanted to sample a lot of the MVC properties, wanted the more hotel-like booking process for DPs and avoid the hassles and uncertainty of II trading, wanted to "stretch" their points by traveling some in shoulder seasons, and wanted to be able to use their ownership for trips that are not always in 7-night increments.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good to know on the fees.

I thought you had to purchase points close to the points value of the week to be enrolled. This is a must with a hybrid package. If this is not the case then there are some decent options but I am skeptical they would do this.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Good to know on the fees.

I thought you had to purchase points close to the points value of the week to be enrolled. This is a must with a hybrid package. If this is not the case then there are some decent options but I am skeptical they would do this.

You are correct that when you do the hybrid bundle from Marriott Resales you have to buy at least what the week is worth. But that was not a requirement for the promotion that allowed post-2010 external weeks to be enrolled for a limited time. Here is a long thread on the topic.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...e-enrolling-post-6-20-10-weeks-merged.231685/

If you jump to post #408 you will see the details of the most recent iteration of the promo which started in June 2017 and ran through September.

3000 Points purchase enrolls 1 week (or 2 EOYs)
4000 Points purchase enrolls 2 weeks (or up to 4 EOYs)
5500 Points purchase enrolls 3-7 weeks (or up to 14 EOYs)

Any weeks enrolled under this 2017 offer had to be owned/closed by May 15, 2017.

So I was wrong about the 5000 points the OP would have to buy to enroll two weeks if and when they offer this again. It was only 4000 points and they applied their normal discounts to that purchase, making the cost of 4000 points at somewhere around $44K to $45K (see post #415 in the link above - $54,720 less 20%).

If you scan through that long thread, you'll see some TUGgers who took advantage of these offers when they were offered in 2015, 2016, and 2017.

When they first offered it in the fall of 2015 the point requirements were 2500/3500/5000. They extended the promotion until late fall of 2015 and raised the requirements to the 3000/4000/5500, which was retained for the 2016 and 2017 promos.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember that thread now. I was contemplating if it would be worth it to enroll 7 weeks. I didn't think about it long as my weeks were selling fast at the time.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I remember that thread now. I was contemplating if it would be worth it to enroll 7 weeks. I didn't think about it long as my weeks were selling fast at the time.
I contemplated this but it came out to a put $40k to enroll 7 weeks (I would buy the points, enroll the weeks and sell the dp points). It would take me almost 20 years of lock off and trade fees to break even. So did not make any sense for my needs. If they would let me enroll all my non eligible weeks for 5000 point purchase it would take 8 years of lock off and trade fees to break even. That would seriously get me to buy the points from marriott.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I contemplated this but it came out to a put $40k to enroll 7 weeks (I would buy the points, enroll the weeks and sell the dp points). It would take me almost 20 years of lock off and trade fees to break even. So did not make any sense for my needs. If they would let me enroll all my non eligible weeks for 5000 point purchase it would take 8 years of lock off and trade fees to break even. That would seriously get me to buy the points from marriott.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Most certainly if the reason for enrolling is just to avoid the II fees, I can't see where any points purchase makes sense. The value of the points product is freeing yourself from the hassles and frustration of II trading and using DPs to book your reservations instead. That's where the benefits of the DP product really reside. For someone who doesn't value the improved booking process or the ability to stretch points and adjust stay length, then DPs/enrollment would seem to have little to no value.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Most certainly if the reason for enrolling is just to avoid the II fees, I can't see where any points purchase makes sense. The value of the points product is freeing yourself from the hassles and frustration of II trading and using DPs to book your reservations instead. That's where the benefits of the DP product really reside. For someone who doesn't value the improved booking process or the ability to stretch points and adjust stay length, then DPs/enrollment would seem to have little to no value.
Hit the nail on the head for me. DP makes no sense for me right now. Enrollment is mainly to save on fees but the payback is at best almost a decade to break even.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Hit the nail on the head for me. DP makes no sense for me right now. Enrollment is mainly to save on fees but the payback is at best almost a decade to break even.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

We're just the opposite - don't really like II trading - so we prefer to use Destination Points whenever possible. We're looking to add an external EOY week at MOC primarily for use, but once we acquire that, we would certainly consider options to enroll it and any other external weeks we might buy there or elsewhere in the future.