• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2017] Movie Pass

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I tried to use my pass for the first time yesterday. Unfortunately, I could not get a connection to the internet at the theater, so I couldn't use the App. I ran out of time trying and just paid for it. Next time I will allow more time and figure out where I need to be to get connected.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I don't know this for a fact but I don't think the 100 yards is really necessary. I thought I read somewhere that once you select your movie you have 30 minutes to use the card. So I believe when you select the movie you are activating the card so it will work. They tell you a 100 yards because they don't want you selecting the moving from home and then missing the 30 minute window due to long lines or distance. That is my speculation on why the 100 yards.

laura123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the post.I got my card in October but could not register my card. I joined and had to email them to get registered but they did not charge me for Oct. I have seen two movies and card was paid for on 1st movie.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me, but when I tried the chat feature, I was kind of surprised that they answered me right away. They asked if I had downloaded the latest version of the app. I updated the app and it worked! So I was able to see the movie, although it took enough time that I missed the first few minutes. So far this month I have seen 5 movies. I love it! Don't know why it didn't work for you, I hope it gets resolved for you.

I have no idea why it didn't work, but after two weeks, I finally got a response from Customer Service. They said that they will be reimbursing me for my purchased tickets. And then, for whatever reason, it started working again Friday night. So, we've seen three movies since then. This morning, however, I went to the Irvine Spectrum Theater, checked in for a 10 am movie, and she refused to sell me the ticket for the movie with the moviepass card. She said it was a "VIP" theater, and they were not allowed to sell those showings to moviepass customers. It was not 3D or Imax, and I told her that Moviepass had let me check in, and she said that "I know it lets you check in, but we're not allowed to sell those to moviepass customers." So, we had to buy the ticket for the 10:40 am showing, but then we went into the 10 am showing, anyway. Have had some really stupid, stubborn ticket agents at Irvine Spectrum. About a month ago, one would not scan my Regal card for my wife's ticket. She said, "we're only allowed to scan your card once per day." Which is total BS, since everyone since then has scanned it for both tickets.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know this for a fact but I don't think the 100 yards is really necessary. I thought I read somewhere that once you select your movie you have 30 minutes to use the card. So I believe when you select the movie you are activating the card so it will work. They tell you a 100 yards because they don't want you selecting the moving from home and then missing the 30 minute window due to long lines or distance. That is my speculation on why the 100 yards.

I have used my movie pass about 7 times. For me it only works pretty close. It will not let me check in from home, I have tried it. If I park farther away from the door, I cannot check in. If I park close to the box office door, I can check in from my car.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure all current members probably got the same email I got. But here's the new offer... pay a year in advance for just $6.95/month. Tempting, but will they be around that long? We can only hope. :)

https://www.moviepass.com/register/

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I'm sure all current members probably got the same email I got. But here's the new offer... pay a year in advance for just $6.95/month. Tempting, but will they be around that long? We can only hope. :)

I upgrade my passes today!....Yes hopefully they will be around for a year. I figure this was to raise money to help get them to the public offering planned for 2018. They received 100M in financing last week.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I went to the movies last week. I checked in on the app, however when I went to the box office it was sold out. I picked another movie to see and the movie pass worked without making any adjustment with the app. That tells me that the app selection is to activate the card and provide them with some data. I think once you activate the card you could go to any movie in the theater. I still saw my original movie I wanted to see which was sold out. I found some empty seats in the theater.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to the movies last week. I checked in on the app, however when I went to the box office it was sold out. I picked another movie to see and the movie pass worked without making any adjustment with the app. That tells me that the app selection is to activate the card and provide them with some data. I think once you activate the card you could go to any movie in the theater. I still saw my original movie I wanted to see which was sold out. I found some empty seats in the theater.

You select a movie on the app and that triggers the company to put the price of the movie on the Movie Pass card. The theater only wants to get paid. There is no way that the theater knows what movie you have selected on the app, the fact that you've already seen the movie, or even the time of the movie you're supposed to go. You're free to spend that money at the theater for any movie you choose and any time you choose. As long as the theater gets paid, they're happy.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I upgrade my passes today!....Yes hopefully they will be around for a year. I figure this was to raise money to help get them to the public offering planned for 2018. They received 100M in financing last week.

I tried to upgrade but couldn’t find a link or a place in the ap to do that. I emailed customer service, but no reply. I also looked online in safari, but no joy. Where is the spot to go for an upgrade?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Tivo and Ooma have made similar offers in the past. TiVo even offered lifetime subscriptions. I think even XM radio has done this. A way to raise cash to keep the money flowing. It is a gamble.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Used my movie pass last night. I got there late, but I knew from a friend who was in the theater that they were still in previews. However, since the starting time was past, it wouldn't like me select the time I wanted. So I selected a later time for the same movie. The ticket taker only briefly glanced at my ticket and didn't notice the time. It probably wouldn't have mattered, there were only a few people in the theater.

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the OP for posting. I've been to 5 movies since I got the card...what a great deal! I am traveling alone this week and the weather hasn't been the greatest, so it has been really nice to have the card.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Costco Teamed Up With Movie Pass to Get You an Absurdly Cheap Cinema Subscription
By Chris Smith/ Entertainment/ BGR/ bgr.com

"Movie fans who wished for a Netflix-like service for going to the cinema have at least one such subscription-based product. Launched this summer, Moviepass costs $10 per month, and lets you watch as many new movie releases as you want.

That’s incredibly affordable, and the price dropped even lower than $10 per month a few weeks ago. And now the company has an even better offer for you.

MoviePass on Tuesday announced that it partnered with Fandor and Costco to offer buyers a combined yearly subscription for just $89.99. The offer is valid only online at Costco.com, and once you purchase it, you’ll be given codes that activate your one-year MoviePass and Fandor subscriptions.

That’s an incredible deal considering that Fandor would typically cost $5 per month. Fandor is a streaming service for independent movies, documentaries, international features, and shorts, and the flat $89.99 package will give you access to all of Fandor’s 5,000+ titles. Even if you don’t care about Fandor, this deal will get you a year worth of MoviePass access for $20 less than what the subscription costs through MoviePass...."

moviepass.jpg

Image Source: MoviePass

Richard

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I was reluctant to buy the annual subscription because I worried that it was "too good to be true" or at least sustainable, and that MoviePass would fold (or at least change the deal) before the year was up. But I think Costco would make good on that if it happened, so I'm planning to subscribe.

Does this digital delivery do away with the long delays we are hearing about for receipt of the card?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think they still need to snail mail you the actual card that they run at the box office - it is a Mastercard.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this digital delivery do away with the long delays we are hearing about for receipt of the card?

Bought one as a gift last month, and it arrived in less than a week.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe some day this will be worth it for me. For now I struggle to find many movies I want to see. Those that I do, a local theater has quite a discount on Tuesdays. I'd have to see 15 movies on the pass to break even. Not going to happen this year.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Post copied twice.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The MoviePass Deal: For Less Than $120 a Year, You Can See 365 Movies. Here's the Catch.
By Travis M. Andrews/ Morning Mix/ The Washington Post/ washingtonpost.com

"MoviePass is a film nerd’s dream. The subscription service allows users to see one movie a day at a theater for a single monthly cost. The service isn’t new, but it’s become popular among a lot more than movie buffs in the past few months.

During its first six years as a company, MoviePass relied on the idea that most of its 20,000 subscribers wouldn’t use the service. It’s the way many gyms make money: Convince users to sign a contract, then hope they’ll never actually show up to use a treadmill.

But when Mitch Lowe, a Netflix co-founder, took over MoviePass as CEO in June 2016, he opted to flip this revenue model on its head.

First, he teamed up with data firm Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc., which bought a controlling interest in the company. Then, in August, he announced a radical overhaul to the company’s pricing model, dropping the cost from around $50 to $9.95 per month.

Instead of hoping subscribers skip out on the movies, Lowe wants MoviePass customers to visit the theater as often as possible. Because the more movies its subscribers see, the more data the company rakes in. And that’s where the real dough is.

“The big money for us was always understanding the consumers habits and the data, because no one’s ever done that,” Ted Farnsworth, CEO of Helios and Matheson, told The Washington Post.

After the pricing change, the service exploded in popularity, adding 150,000 subscribers in two days, Lowe told The Post. Since then, its user base has grown to 1.5 million subscribers. It added 500,000 of those in last month alone. (For comparison’s sake, it took Netflix about four years to reach 1 million subscribers.)..."

Mitch_Lowe1-300x232.jpg

MoviePass CEO Mitch Lowe (MoviePass)

Richard

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation

Even if they don’t stay around I have more than got my monies worth wife and I have had passes for just short of 2 months and have seen 16 movies each. We also have AMC stubs card and basically earn a $5 conssesion reward every other visit.

Supposedly AMC is trying legally to block them, they fear Moviepass business model is not sustainable and won’t last. AMC fear people will get used to extremely low priced movies and will stop going when it doesn’t last. Maybe so, but for me I practically stopped going until I saw OPs thread a while back and tried it out. So now I have gone more in 2 months than last 5 years, I also tend to buy concession items now that I am not buying tickets to.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I buy the movie pass for me and my teenager daughter who is less than 18? She does have an iPhone and can download the app