• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"THANK YOU TSA INSPECTORS" - TSA's Thanksgiving haul: 50 loaded guns, 4 smoke grenades and more !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvic

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the Transportation Security Administration, it confiscated 57 firearms from carry-on baggage over the Thanksgiving weekend, as well as four smoke grenades and a trick stun cane. The TSA claims that of the 57 total confiscated firearms, 50 were loaded, and a further 19 of those had a round chambered while passing through security.

To read more on this story, video and pictures... Link: KomoABCNews4 ...

http://komonews.com/news/nation-wor...haul-50-loaded-guns-4-smoke-grenades-and-more

An Airport-by-Airport breakdown of firearm discoveries... Link:
TSA Week in Review: November 20th - 26th ... https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2017/11/29/tsa-week-review-november-20th-26th

Happy Travels, gvic

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Friendly reminder - if this post starts a debate about guns, it will be closed.

Reactions: Xan

gvic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Time to say "THANK YOU" to your TSA Inspectors......

Happy Travels, gvic

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
... and they probably missed another 500...

:clap::clap::clap:

Agreed. I thank TSA for nothing, as I view them as some of most incompetents in any group. They should have been disbanded long ago and replaced with competent people.

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Why are people so stupid? I mean really? Why do they think they can bring a LOADED gun on a plane???

On another note it reminds me of this ridiculous insane nightmare I had recently where I was traveling with my son and I had a replica gun in my bag for some strange reason (I don't own anything like that). And so I was getting pulled aside by TSA and had to 'talk' to a supervisor about it. But they were crazy busy and in some confusion my son walked away from me. So I started panicking and just ran after him, but the airport was like an amusement park with rides (dreams are funky you know?) and he got on a ride! Finally I found him and we got chased by the police. But guess what the police were driving in my dream? They were all in those tiny cars that are in parades, those Shriners little parade cars. Such a weird dream.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why are people so stupid? I mean really? Why do they think they can bring a LOADED gun on a plane???

My wife's cousin from Oklahoma is on the TSA watch list. She's the sweetest person you'll ever meet, if a little absent minded. She even remembered not to take her gun along when she went to the airport. Unfortunately, she forgot that she had a loaded magazine clip in her purse. Oops.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We have a friend who has been a Denver cop for 35 years, and he forgot he had his gun with him until he went to check into his flight. He unloaded it and put it in his suitcase. No problem at all with that, apparently. I told him that I saw Bruce Willis in Die Hard with a gun on a plane as a cop. It was before 9/11 for that movie.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score

People that carry everyday could do this by accident quite easily by error. Their firearm is no different than someone’s keys or wallet in their pocket. Yes, they should certainly do a self check, but I could see how this could happen.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks TSA for finding these guns and other illegal items.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
People that carry everyday could do this by accident quite easily by error. Their firearm is no different than someone’s keys or wallet in their pocket. Yes, they should certainly do a self check, but I could see how this could happen.

I'd have to agree. It's hard to believe that everyone who was caught with such prohibited items that weekend had ill-intent.

But OTOH, when people put all that time and planning into a trip, you would think that they would check for something like this, especially in this age of heightened airport security when being caught with items mentioned in the OP could result in being denied boarding your flight.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Nope. I agree with Bella that it's stupidity.

I'm a professional seamstress and use something called a rotary cutter, basically a razor blade that looks like a pizza cutter. Obviously, understandably, TSA prohibits carrying it onboard. When I bring projects on trips or travel to meet clients, I make sure that none of the sewing tools on TSA's list are in my carry-on. I don't "forget" that I have them despite it being second nature for me to use them practically every day, and they're safely stored in my workspace when they're not in use. Because that's what responsible people do.

People bring prohibited items through TSA every single day because they're betting on the odds that their transgressions will be missed. TSA needs to fix things so the odds are much more lessened for these idiots who think the rules don't apply to them.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope. I agree with Bella that it's stupidity.

I'm a professional seamstress and use something called a rotary cutter, basically a razor blade that looks like a pizza cutter. Obviously, understandably, TSA prohibits carrying it onboard. When I bring projects on trips or travel to meet clients, I make sure that none of the sewing tools on TSA's list are in my carry-on. I don't "forget" that I have them despite it being second nature for me to use them practically every day, and they're safely stored in my workspace when they're not in use. Because that's what responsible people do.

People bring prohibited items through TSA every single day because they're betting on the odds that their transgressions will be missed. TSA needs to fix things so the odds are much more lessened for these idiots who think the rules don't apply to them.

A few mistakes here- first, I’m not the one that suggested it was stupidity. Second, please tell us more how you have never made a mistake in your lifetime. An item that someone uses on a regular daily basis like a hammer, knife or rotary cutter and is then stored, is quite different than a weapon that is carried on one's person on a daily basis. Most of these conceal carriers will tell you that their weapon is almost like an appendage. It's part of them. This may seem odd & foreign to you, but ask a policeman sometime, or other daily carrier. Thus your analogy of a tool that you use frequently and then store is quite different from something that is carried on your body during waking hours, 365 days/year.

Last, tell us how you are able to determine that ALL of these weapons were transported improperly, purposely.

Addendum: Please, do tell. How would you suggest TSA "fix things"?

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Phydeaux - Please remember the TUG rule of "courtesy." You have a tendency to attack other posters who do not agree with you. Please stick to the topic and don't make it PERSONAL.

Be Courteous​

As we read and respond to others, disagreements are inevitable. Differing points of view are welcomed, and indeed the bbs would be a dull place without them. All users are expected and required to express their disagreements civilly. Refrain from name calling and behavior lectures. Personal attacks will not be tolerated and repeated offenses could get you banned from the bbs. Lively discussion is what the board is all about, but that is no excuse for boorish behavior or bad manners. We are assumed to all be adults. If you don't like a particular thread, stop reading it!​

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phydeaux - Please remember the TUG rule of "courtesy." You have a tendency to attack other posters who do not agree with you. Please stick to the topic and don't make it PERSONAL.

Be Courteous
As we read and respond to others, disagreements are inevitable. Differing points of view are welcomed, and indeed the bbs would be a dull place without them. All users are expected and required to express their disagreements civilly. Refrain from name calling and behavior lectures. Personal attacks will not be tolerated and repeated offenses could get you banned from the bbs. Lively discussion is what the board is all about, but that is no excuse for boorish behavior or bad manners. We are assumed to all be adults. If you don't like a particular thread, stop reading it!​

Corrected.

And once again, comments from others are exempt, such as this: TSA needs to fix things so the odds are much more lessened for these idiots who think the rules don't apply to them.

This doesn't strike you as a discourteous statement?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Phydeaux - There was nothing personal about that comment - it was directed at unknown persons in the news story - not at you.

You
made it personal - now let it go.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few mistakes here- first, I’m not the one that suggested it was stupidity. Second, please tell us more how you have never made a mistake in your lifetime. An item that someone uses on a regular daily basis like a hammer, knife or rotary cutter and is then stored, is quite different than a weapon that is carried on one's person on a daily basis. Most of these conceal carriers will tell you that their weapon is almost like an appendage. It's part of them. This may seem odd & foreign to you, but ask a policeman sometime, or other daily carrier. Thus your analogy of a tool that you use frequently and then store is quite different from something that is carried on your body during waking hours, 365 days/year.

The policemen I know including several family members and two close friends don't EVER "forget" that they're carrying, how they're carrying, or where they're carrying. They don't consider their guns to be appendages of themselves but rather their tools, and they know from first-hand experience that carriers who don't lawfully respect the responsibility are idiots who make responders' jobs more dangerous.

... Last, tell us how you are able to determine that ALL of these weapons were transported improperly, purposely.

Addendum: Please, do tell. How would you suggest TSA "fix things"?

I'd have them confiscate the weapons, not just allow them to be placed into checked baggage, and I'd institute monetary fines that the idiots have to pay before they can get their guns back. First offense, $100 and mandatory attendance at responsible ownership classes offered by local PD. Second, $500 and a six-month waiting period to get the gun back. Third, permanent confiscation and revocation of any gun ownership permits.

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

I an certainly see how that happens. I just happen to be one of those people who thinks that gun owners should be ESPECIALLY careful. Guns are not keys or wallets. They are dangerous weapons that can end a life if you treat yours carelessly.

I don't want to make this political because then the thread gets shut down. I'm just saying my personal belief is that gun owners should not be this irresponsible.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Rick and I used to carry a large soft-sided cooler when we take some of our trips. It's not as large as a 20" carry-on piece of luggage. We also use it for our day trips to our property in the mountains, and Rick put a hunting knife in the side pocket. We had no idea that knife was in the pocket, and we took a couple of trips with it in there. Then we had a trip where it was discovered by TSA on the return home from Maui. We lost the knife to TSA. It was entirely accidental.

I have to remind my stepdad before we go to the airport to take his pocketknife off of his key chain. He has had several confiscated. You would think he'd know better by now. He is 83.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I an certainly see how that happens. I just happen to be one of those people who thinks that gun owners should be ESPECIALLY careful. Guns are not keys or wallets. They are dangerous weapons that can end a life if you treat yours carelessly.

I don't want to make this political because then the thread gets shut down. I'm just saying my personal belief is that gun owners should not be this irresponsible.

I agree with you 100%. However, as human beings, even gun owners can make a mistake. Others here cannot grasp this.

Shemane Nugent, wife of Ted Nugent who is an avid hunter and responsible firearms owner that is highly trained in their use, made the mistake of having her concealed carry weapon in her carry on. I'd pay good money to watch anyone approach Shemane and call her an "idiot" for doing so, to her face. Anyone that suggests they are not capable of making mistakes is delusional, and a liar. Let's be perfectly clear, that is not a personal attack, it is a irrefutable FACT.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
The policemen I know including several family members and two close friends don't EVER "forget" that they're carrying, how they're carrying, or where they're carrying. They don't consider their guns to be appendages of themselves but rather their tools, and they know from first-hand experience that carriers who don't lawfully respect the responsibility are idiots who make responders' jobs more dangerous.

I'd have them confiscate the weapons, not just allow them to be placed into checked baggage, and I'd institute monetary fines that the idiots have to pay before they can get their guns back. First offense, $100 and mandatory attendance at responsible ownership classes offered by local PD. Second, $500 and a six-month waiting period to get the gun back. Third, permanent confiscation and revocation of any gun ownership permits.

First, the policemen and LEO's that I know would disagree with your first statement, hence I made the points that I did. Our singular experiences thus cancel each other.

Second, if a weapon is confiscated, are you certain is then allowed in checked luggage? Source please.

Third, You'd implement a fine and waiting period to return the firearm. But you then go on to write "permanent confiscation and revocation of any gun ownership permits". Two points: First, in the U.S.A., I do not need to have a "gun ownership permit" to own firearms, as this RIGHT is provided to me under the Second Amendment. Second, your statement contradicts itself.

Finally, you chose not to respond to the legitimate question asked of you: Last, tell us how you are able to determine that ALL of these weapons were transported improperly, purposely. Please help me to understand why.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree with you 100%. However, as human beings, even gun owners can make a mistake. Others here cannot grasp this.

Shemane Nugent, wife of Ted Nugent who is an avid hunter and responsible firearms owner that is highly trained in their use, made the mistake of having her concealed carry weapon in her carry on. I'd pay good money to watch anyone approach Shemane and call her an "idiot" for doing so, to her face. Anyone that suggests they are not capable of making mistakes is delusional, and a liar. Let's be perfectly clear, that is not a personal attack, it is a irrefutable FACT.

You're misunderstanding me. I haven't claimed that I've NEVER made mistakes; in fact I'm human and have had to embrace my own idiocy and pay appropriately for many mistakes. I've done it, though, without any drama and actually somewhat sheepishly because I'm not an arrogant SOB. As much as you won't believe it, I've made no mistakes with my rotary cutters when TSA is involved because unlike the idiots who get a second chance from TSA to store their weapons appropriately, my dangerous tools would be permanently confiscated and there's absolutely nothing I'd be able to do about that.

If you think that what I've said here is something I wouldn't say face-to-face to anyone, you underestimate me. :)

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Phydeaux - Perhaps you did not understand my very explicit warning above. You are out of line. Next time, you will be suspended.]

Last edited by a moderator:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I should not comment. Oh, heck with that.

I love it when people who have no idea what they are talking about--even if they are convinced that they know--spout their 'wisdom' and label it as fact.

Doctors make mistakes. Fireman make mistakes. LEO's make mistakes. But, they pay dearly when they do. Thus, they make few serious mistakes before they are no longer employed or are severely restricted.

TSA is a Federal entity. The policy is National policy. Local Airport directors can make certain minor changes/restrictions to the rules based on locality, threat, intelligence etc.... TSA makes mistakes and continues to re-train and re-test.

States do still have rights; contrary to (some) public opinion. STATE or LOCAL law enforcement often determines the outcome of a violation (gun, knife, violence etc...) based on state or local laws. (and occasionally other factors as well) Don't claim that 'TSA' let them do this and that..... The charges leveled on passengers are RARELY federal charges, they are usually local or state offenses. So, write your state or local legislators if you think the laws are just too tough/soft/variable etc...

I'm sorry, but bringing a loaded fire-arm--with a round chambered--thru airport security is not simply a little 'oops' mistake. Nor is bringing 2 kilos of drugs, $20,000 in cash, your kids (that you don't have legal custody of), a machete or hundreds of other illegal or dangerous items. Make all the excuses you like. Claim its 'not my fault' or a 'common mistake.' Sounds just like those who sexual assault other passengers (I was sleeping...I was on drugs...) or those who get drunk and violent and cause the aircraft to divert. Excuses. That's what people make after they get caught. Not everyone has 'bad intent' or is an idiot etc... but, they still have to face the consequences of breaking the law.

The title of this thread was "Thank you TSA inspectors...":
Let me expand; thanks to all the hard working, often under-paid local state and federal employees that do their best to keep us safe, to help us when we're down and who are often ridiculed the same people that end up using their services without so much as a 'thank you for doing your job.' Just to be clear, that's teachers, LEO's, fire fighters, medical professionals, TSA, Customs, FAA etc.... and lately, quite a few military members who are busting their buts to help those affected by natural disasters. Lots of criticism is often heard, but praise seems to be less plentiful.

Sorry, but I think we forget ourselves sometimes.

Ok, off my soapbox.

Disclaimer:
no comment in this post is directed at one single poster or one single post. This is an over-all opinion, it's mine and I claim it.

img_5331.jpg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CLOSED: Interesting how it's always the same handful of people who get these threads closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.