• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Entry Point

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The units 439-444 do have slightly larger balconies, but it's not appreciably different. But the views? Breathtaking. One day last May, my DW and I spent literally hours on the deck, sipping wine, reading good books, and listening to the waves crash on the rocks. It was idyllic.

Did you work sales for Hyatt? You are killing me with the imagery! Haha. Just thinking of escaping the Houston heat in August for the cool refreshing ocean breeze while relaxing on the balcony with those views.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Did you work sales for Hyatt? You are killing me with the imagery! Haha. Just thinking of escaping the Houston heat in August for the cool refreshing ocean breeze while relaxing on the balcony with those views.
*Laughing* No, I didn't work sales for Hyatt. If I did, I don't think I'd be able to live with myself. But I certainly do enjoy offering advice on Highlands Inn as I think it's one of the great spots in all the world to relax and enjoy the bountiful beauty of nature. And you're right: enjoying a dinner while watching the sunset at Pacific's Edge Restaurant just kind of rounds out the whole experience.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
You mentioned price per point. I have heard for HGVC $1 per point was fair. I know that it may vary a little but what do you think a good price per point would be for Hyatt?

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
*Laughing* No, I didn't work sales for Hyatt. If I did, I don't think I'd be able to live with myself. But I certainly do enjoy offering advice on Highlands Inn as I think it's one of the great spots in all the world to relax and enjoy the bountiful beauty of nature. And you're right: enjoying a dinner while watching the sunset at Pacific's Edge Restaurant just kind of rounds out the whole experience.

I do look forward to going back. Thank you for the help.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
You mentioned price per point. I have heard for HGVC $1 per point was fair. I know that it may vary a little but what do you think a good price per point would be for Hyatt?

HGVC is a point system, so it's easier to make general, broad statements, such as $1 pr point (though there are some exceptions to the general rule). With Hyatt, because you are buying a combination of four things, it is much more difficult to make a general statement. What four things? 1) specific location, 2) specific unit, 3) specific date, 4) number of points. For example, at the Highlands Inn (specific location), an ocean view will go for more than a garden view (specific unit). A summer week may be more desirable to you because your kids are out of school, while a spring week may be more valuable to someone who likes watching the whales move north up the coast (specific date). Last, the easiest to gauge, number of points... a 2200 point unit is worth more than a 1400 point unit. Everyone is different, and what they value is different. There is a Key West Fantasy Fest week on EBay for what I would consider a crazy asking price, however, someone else may be happy dropping $33k for that week. Also on EBay is an Aspen week 7 one bedroom for nearly three times the price (it was, they lowered it a tad) of the Key West week... and I considered it. Why? Because for me (week 7 is a week most schools have off, so kids are out of school, and the skiing is still good on week 7, AND it's an amazing property) it checks a number of boxes which are important to me. In the end, I snapped out of it and decided my wife would kill me. Haha.

*edit. There's a fifth. Maintenance fees. Piñon Point has the lowest maintenance fees per point. If you were looking solely for a trader, on going cost per point would be more important than the other things I listed.

Last edited:

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone stayed at Pinion Point? I am looking at a unit (1812) for sale. I got a hold of a map but have no point of reference. Looking for info on the view and surrounding area.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Has anyone stayed at Pinion Point? I am looking at a unit (1812) for sale. I got a hold of a map but have no point of reference. Looking for info on the view and surrounding area.

I looked at that one too, and decided to pass because it's a ground floor unit, and those units have a lot of bad reviews. I bought a second floor unit instead.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
They are hard to find, but I recommend buying in Buildings 1-5 on either the 2nd or 3rd floor. The numbers would be 121 or 131 through 521 or 531, for example. Views from these locations are amazing.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I was looking at HPP reviews on TripAdvisor recently and there was a negative comment about room 1811 which I assume is in the same building as 1812. There apparently was no view at all and the folks were moved to a better unit. They didn’t specify how poor the view was, just that they asked to move.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
We are in bldg. #6 second floor, it sits directly behind commons area/pool. Very nice view of entire valley, snoopy rock, and most important a short walk in the morning to wildflower bakery for coffee in the morning.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked at that one too, and decided to pass because it's a ground floor unit, and those units have a lot of bad reviews. I bought a second floor unit instead.

Ditto on looking at 1812. I think, because of its poor location, if I were to go for it, it would be used solely as a trader... which goes against my "stay where you want to go" theory. To be interesting, it would have to go cheap, and I don't think it will because of everyone else thinking of using it as a trader. Also, if it were to go as inexpensively as I would like, I think it would be grabbed by Hyatt in ROFR.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on room 1812. I will keep looking. BTW would anyone buy Wild Oak as a 2000 point trader? There appears to be a lot of inexpensve Wild Oak timeshares out there. I have never traded in Hyatt so I'm not sure of how Wild Oak would work as a trader.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on room 1812. I will keep looking. BTW would anyone buy Wild Oak as a 2000 point trader? There appears to be a lot of inexpensve Wild Oak timeshares out there. I have never traded in Hyatt so I'm not sure of how Wild Oak would work as a trader.

A trader is a trader-or points are points. Once you give up your HRPP and get points it doesn't matter where they originated.

I stayed in 1811 last April. It was fine for me. A very slight view and it was an extra minute or two walk to Wildflower but it was ok. I am ok with going up to the pool area for beverages and a great view. We were close to the BBQ down in that area.

I really enjoy Pinon Pointe. We have never staying in our HRPP weeks there. We tried a couple times but had to use the points in Carmel.....

Have managed several times to use my points for two bedroom units in Carmel. I have one there in a couple weeks at the end of Christmas vacation and another in August. We tend to stay in Carmel on two and four night mid week stays.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
We have 2 Annual and 1 EOYO HWOR and use them, but I think they would do ok as traders. If availability is there, Points are Points. But I am a believer in buying where/when you want to go. And these fixed week/units systems seem to be going away.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score

As has been said, points are points. If you are buying HWOR as a trader (though it is a nice property for summer use because of the pools and access to the pools at the neighbor Hyatt, Schlitterbahn, and SeaWorld), it does have lower maintenance fees vs some of the other properties in the Hyatt system.

Re the 2000 point unit I think you are looking at, don't just look at the sales price, look at the fees. The closing fee, Hyatt fee, and 2018 maintenance fee (which are now due) add up to $2162 before the sales price.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello again everyone. If I purchase 1,320 Hyatt points (Pinon Point 1br Plat) how can I use these at HHI? Since HHI has 1BR premier units and no silver, bronze, copper or mountain seasons, it appears that I won't be able to use 1320 points for a week at HHI. Can I then use 800 points for 4 nights midweek (plat) at HHI and 520 points for 4 nights midweek at Pinon Point? Am I correct? Is this simple to pull off or does the booking process get complicated when booking multiple stays at different locations?

I just want to say thanks again for all the great info on this thread.

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Hello again everyone. If I purchase 1,320 Hyatt points (Pinon Point 1br Plat) how can I use these at HHI? Since HHI has 1BR premier units and no silver, bronze, copper or mountain seasons, it appears that I won't be able to use 1320 points for a week at HHI. Can I then use 800 points for 4 nights midweek (plat) at HHI and 520 points for 4 nights midweek at Pinon Point? Am I correct? Is this simple to pull off or does the booking process get complicated when booking multiple stays at different locations?

I just want to say thanks again for all the great info on this thread.
It is fairly easy to book midweek stays . We own at Pinon Pointe and usually only stay there 2 days midweek.Your strategy sounds right on.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you request a room at HHI or anywhere else?

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you request a room at HHI or anywhere else?

Yes. If you have the points required for the stay, and the dates you want are available, then you can stay anywhere in the system.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a 1BR plat (1320) at Pinon Point. Since I am new to TS I am looking at this purchase as a low-risk trial. I can use it for partial weeks at multiple locations, evaluating as I go. It will also give me time to shop for an 1880 point or higher. If I find one at the right price/location/view I can always give the older one away without taking much of a loss. How would you guys use 1320 points in the Hyatt system?

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
...If I find one at the right price/location/view I can always give the older one away without taking much of a loss...
If you try to "give it away", it would be selling the unit at a price of $0. That sale would be subject to Hyatt's right of first refusal (ROFR). If Hyatt takes the unit, it's gone. If someone else takes the unit, they would become the owner and have to pay annual Maintenance Fees. If nobody takes it, you are still the owner.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a 1BR plat (1320) at Pinon Point. Since I am new to TS I am looking at this purchase as a low-risk trial. I can use it for partial weeks at multiple locations, evaluating as I go. It will also give me time to shop for an 1880 point or higher. If I find one at the right price/location/view I can always give the older one away without taking much of a loss. How would you guys use 1320 points in the Hyatt system?

I would not buy a 1320 point unit. 1320 will limit what you will be able to do in the system, and you may become a little frustrated with the limitations. Resale may also be limited (one reason you may have found a good deal on a 1320 pt unit), which may mean you are stuck with the maintenance fees for longer than you may wish. I was in your position two years ago. I was seriously considering a 1400 point unit. I ended up with a 2000 point unit, and wish I had done the 2200 point one. It's a good system, assuming they don't mess it up with this points thing, but I would still suggest buying into a property you could see your self using as opposed to just buying for points.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I bought a 1,400 point unit and it's an ideal match for my situation.

The only disadvantage of it is limited opportunities for internal exchange because of low point value, but the Hyatt system is so small there is no internal trade we could use anyway.

On the other hand, it's a great unit for external exchanges via II, since 2br high season is only 1,300 points and Hyatt is a very strong trader in II.

Also, I bought a fixed week 11 at Piñon Pointe, which is always a spring break week for my kids school, so we could use it every year. And it's unit 422, which is one of the best locations and views in the complex.

I could pay thousands of dollars more for a 2,000 point unit, but the extra expense would not give any extra benefits for my family.

So yes, if you buy to do internal Hyatt trades, look at a higher point contract. If you buy to exchange via II, or to stay in your unit, then look for a great view unit and a week you could personally use, and save money.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Echino you indicated that 1,320 points wont exchange well in the Hyatt system. Is this because full weeks cost more at other Hyatt resorts? I am thinking of using it for less than full week stays. This is what I had in mind:

4 days midweek at Pinon Point (Plat 520 points) and 4 days midweek at Highlands (Plat 800 points). If I can pull this off most years (when not trading in II) and still book shorter stays at other Hyatts it may be worth the cheaper initial investment. This will also limit my liability in light of Hyatts forthcoming changes.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a gold week (1880 points) at High Sierra. I cannot begin to say how much we've gotten from this unit; I call it our energizer bunny. We are currently at Coconut Plantation and will be at HKB in May. Have been to Sedona, High Sierra, and have very successfully used it via II for multiple stays at Marriotts in Palm Desert and Singer Island in FL. I would not buy less than 1880 points...

Last edited: