• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Barrier Island Station Duck - Effort to Improve Communications and Satisfaction

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Faye,

IMO BIS-Duck has as strong, or maybe even a stronger argument, for a summer peak season amenity fee for renters and traders as Beachwoods does. Beachwoods has updated units, and a very nice outdoor and indoor pool (kiddie water park), but still has projects not completely finished, especially the beach access portion of the project, and the individual units still don't have WiFi. BIS-Duck has dated interiors (soon to be addressed), but nice indoor and outdoor pools, (now) strong WiFi in each unit, a fully staffed, functioning, and successful Snack Shack, and excellent direct beachfront access.

I am not strongly for or against amenity fees. We recently stayed in some JW Marriott's at different locations and they charged us daily amenity fees of about $18-$22. It didn't bother me though because we got daily housekeeping, parking, great WiFi, great pool complexes, and discounts to onsite dining. So it isn't the fee so much as what you are getting for the fee.

IMO Diamond didn't do themselves any favors when they rapidly implemented daily amenity fees at the former Gold Key resorts, but couldn't even provide renters and traders decent WiFi in their unit. With non-functioning WiFi and so many uncompleted projects it made people feel like they were getting ripped off to pay a daily amenity fee for amenities that either didn't actually exist (i.e. WiFi) or weren't yet ready for prime time.

I am usually not one to advocate for amenity fees, but if BIS-Duck could raise additional revenue by implementing a summer peak season amenity fee, I think it should be considered. One thing for sure that will help give BIS-Duck a fighting chance of making a complete comeback is continuing to provide and maintain great amenities. If a daily fee for non-owner rentals and traders during summer can help provide additional revenue in that regard it should be considered. JMO.

Barrier Island Station Duck and Barrier Island's Ocean Pines have implemented a $125 housekeeping/linen fee for those exchanging into the resort. It's not a daily fee.

According to RCI notice:

The staff at BARRIER ISLAND'S OCEAN PINES BEACH has notified us that effectively immediately, all weeks and points stays will be charged $125 fee, which covers housekeeping and linens to all RCI Inbound guests. The length of stay does not matter.

The talk of implementing a summer peak season amenity fee is now an "any season" housekeeping and linen fee.

As I stated previously, it seems Ocean Pines and Barrier Island Station (sister resorts) are "grasping at straws" in their efforts to raise additional revenue.

I'm sure there will be those that will think or say that this is the reason to be an owner where you want to go. I owned at BIS for 30+ years. I currently own at Ocean Pines. However, this outlandish new fee for exchange guests sends up red flags for me about the stability of the resorts (among other things). Like at BIS, Ocean Pines maintenance fees have been kept unreasonably low over the years to the detriment of the resorts' maintenance and improvements. I guess the Board members and resort management believe it's better to try to wring out additional revenue from exchange guests than to increase maintenance fees. While owners may like the fact that their maintenance fees are low and the increases are minimal, there is a price to pay for this. I guess for many, location, location, location is enough. Cost-wise, I love the fact that my maintenance fee for 2018 will only be $550 for oceanfront units in the Summer at Duck. However, I know, that such low fees cannot adequately maintain and upgrade this resort when needed.

I had to make the hard decision to sell off my last BIS weeks due to my perceived direction that the resort is going. I'm sorry to say that this newest decision to enact a "junk" fee on exchangers to increase revenues will also weigh on my future decision on whether to keep my Ocean Pines weeks. I could be wrong, but I think this crazy fee will negatively impact the resorts in the long run.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barrier Island Station Duck and Barrier Island's Ocean Pines have implemented a $125 housekeeping/linen fee for those exchanging into the resort. It's not a daily fee.

According to RCI notice:

The staff at BARRIER ISLAND'S OCEAN PINES BEACH has notified us that effectively immediately, all weeks and points stays will be charged $125 fee, which covers housekeeping and linens to all RCI Inbound guests. The length of stay does not matter.

The talk of implementing a summer peak season amenity fee is now an "any season" housekeeping and linen fee.
Wow, that is a hefty fee. I wasn't expecting anything like that. I think I really dislike that decision. At the very least the fee seems like it should be a daily fee. What exactly does the guest get for this? Daily housekeeping? Every other day? A single housekeeping visit during their stay? That seems like a lot of money to charge someone unless you deliver something of real value in return?

While I stated I don't have a real problem per se with daily amenity fees (provided the resort charging those fees is actually providing top shelf amenities), I agree with you that this housekeeping charge seems excessive and could potentially backfire on the resort(s) in a number of different ways. I don't like mandatory "housekeeping" fees anywhere, daily or otherwise. Especially at places like the BIS Resorts in Duck / Ocean Pines where most units have access to a washer / dryer. Many Guests, who are already timeshare owners elsewhere who traded in, may be perfectly fine doing their own laundry and housekeeping. Owners and Guests should have the option to pay extra for housekeeping like at many Marriott's offer, or like Diamond has done at the Virginia Beach properties.

Personally I believe a daily mandatory amenity fee is a far better option to raise additional funds versus charging mandatory housekeeping fees. All guests may not want housekeeping, and may resent such a large mandatory expense for something they don't even want. However even though many guests may grumble about a daily amenity fee, if a resort charges the fee but in return provides blazing fast WiFi, great pools, gyms, volleyball / tennis courts, activity centers, maybe even a mini-golf course, etc, etc...most guests will use one or more (or maybe all) of those amenities and end up having a great trip and whatever initial frustration they had over a daily amenity fee will largely dissipate once they realize how much they enjoyed access to all of them. WiFi is a big one these days. Since every device uses it, just providing great WiFi at a resort is a significant potential revenue stream from a daily amenity fee perspective.

BIS-Duck especially has potential to have one of the best collections of amenities of any resort in OBX. And they recently upgraded their WiFi network, which seems to be getting great reviews. So implementing a daily amenity fee (say $15 per day?), seemed like a logical option IMO. That could have represented a "virtuous cycle" opportunity where daily amenity fees, especially during heavy peak season use periods, could be used to continually keep maintaining and upgrading amenities and reduce the wear and tear burden on Owners and the annual MF's. Under that scenario, I think it could have represented a Win/Win for both Owners and Guests.

But a mandatory housekeeping flat fee of $125? Not so much. I think this might prove to be a miscalculation and missed opportunity for BIS-Duck and BIS-Ocean Pines.

It's interesting how there can be so many facets / different sides to a topic like this.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
On another related note, the BIS-Duck Owner's Meeting was broadcast live and the webcast is probably still available on the BIS-Duck Facebook page.

Kudos to the BIS-Duck BOD and SPM for providing this option to owners who were not able to attend in person. And I thought the presentations / comments / contributions of Denise Truesdale, Carmen Di Giovanni, and Bob Allen were excellent. The new GM Tom Youngblood also gave a good presentation. Whatever happens to BIS-Duck in the future, it seems like some very committed and qualified people are trying their best to improve things.

Fayeoctober

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure where this information came from, but Barrier Island Station Duck has NOT implemented a policy of charging $125 for housekeeping for a regular one week stay. I can't comment on Ocean Pines but my husband is the Treasurer at BIS Duck. What has been implemented at BIS Duck is that an exchanger staying for less than a week has to pay the $125 and that is to pay for the extra cleaning necessitated by the shorter stay. I think this is reasonable.

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure where this information came from, but Barrier Island Station Duck has NOT implemented a policy of charging $125 for housekeeping for a regular one week stay. I can't comment on Ocean Pines but my husband is the Treasurer at BIS Duck. What has been implemented at BIS Duck is that someone staying for less than a week has to pay the $125 and that is to pay for the extra cleaning necessitated by the shorter stay. I think this is reasonable.

Thank you, Faye, for responding. Perhaps RCI got this fee wrong. Perhaps it should have been relayed as you have stated, that there will be a $125 extra cleaning fee for less than a one week stay vs. "...all weeks and points stays will be charged $125 fee". Heck, when I contacted Angela at BIS in October, she indicated that there wouldn't be an Owners' meeting this year for Ocean Pines. I can understand that since a quorum hasn't been met the last several years that I have attended. I get the extra cleaning fee charge for less than 7 nights. Most, if not all, resorts charge this fee. Securing housekeeping services is a real issue that all resorts and privately-owned homes are facing on the Outer Banks. Another resort that I own at on the OBX has had to increase the housekeeping budget significantly due to this factor. It's not just the Outer Banks that's facing the issue of having issues in securing adequate housekeeping staff. When I attended an Owners' meeting last year in Virginia Beach, this was also a stated issue.

Thanks again, Faye. I will be contacting BIS to find out what's going on with this Vacation Notice that I received from RCI. I can't imagine that it is correct. I also can't imagine that this would be enacted only for Ocean Pines and not BIS also. After all, they are sister resorts managed by the same folks. Guests of Ocean Pines have the ability to use BIS's amenities.

Sorry about my "tirade" if this is an RCI error. If true (regarding Ocean Pines only), I'll be very interested to see what SPM has to say about imposing such a ridiculous "housekeeping/linen" fee for all weeks and points stays.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is a hefty fee. I wasn't expecting anything like that. I think I really dislike that decision. At the very least the fee seems like it should be a daily fee. What exactly does the guest get for this? Daily housekeeping? Every other day? A single housekeeping visit during their stay? That seems like a lot of money to charge someone unless you deliver something of real value in return?

While I stated I don't have a real problem per se with daily amenity fees (provided the resort charging those fees is actually providing top shelf amenities), I agree with you that this housekeeping charge seems excessive and could potentially backfire on the resort(s) in a number of different ways. I don't like mandatory "housekeeping" fees anywhere, daily or otherwise. Especially at places like the BIS Resorts in Duck / Ocean Pines where most units have access to a washer / dryer. Many Guests, who are already timeshare owners elsewhere who traded in, may be perfectly fine doing their own laundry and housekeeping. Owners and Guests should have the option to pay extra for housekeeping like at many Marriott's offer, or like Diamond has done at the Virginia Beach properties.

Personally I believe a daily mandatory amenity fee is a far better option to raise additional funds versus charging mandatory housekeeping fees. All guests may not want housekeeping, and may resent such a large mandatory expense for something they don't even want. However even though many guests may grumble about a daily amenity fee, if a resort charges the fee but in return provides blazing fast WiFi, great pools, gyms, volleyball / tennis courts, activity centers, maybe even a mini-golf course, etc, etc...most guests will use one or more (or maybe all) of those amenities and end up having a great trip and whatever initial frustration they had over a daily amenity fee will largely dissipate once they realize how much they enjoyed access to all of them. WiFi is a big one these days. Since every device uses it, just providing great WiFi at a resort is a significant potential revenue stream from a daily amenity fee perspective.

BIS-Duck especially has potential to have one of the best collections of amenities of any resort in OBX. And they recently upgraded their WiFi network, which seems to be getting great reviews. So implementing a daily amenity fee (say $15 per day?), seemed like a logical option IMO. That could have represented a "virtuous cycle" opportunity where daily amenity fees, especially during heavy peak season use periods, could be used to continually keep maintaining and upgrading amenities and reduce the wear and tear burden on Owners and the annual MF's. Under that scenario, I think it could have represented a Win/Win for both Owners and Guests.

But a mandatory housekeeping flat fee of $125? Not so much. I think this might prove to be a miscalculation and missed opportunity for BIS-Duck and BIS-Ocean Pines.

It's interesting how there can be so many facets / different sides to a topic like this.

Hopefully, as Faye has responded, since no such fee exists at BIS for "all weeks and points stays" for RCI exchanges that this is simply an error on RCI's part for Ocean Pines. I hope so. I can't imagine that it would be instituted at Ocean Pines and not BIS since they are "sister" resorts and have the same management. My husband just stated that maybe I just got "trolled" or it's "fake news". :eek:

Anyway, I'll settle down a bit until I get word from the resort. I'll report back. :)

Fayeoctober

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to go on record that while Barrier Island Station Duck and Ocean Pines share the place where they check in and also share management, they have two independent Boards. The Board at BIS Duck does not include any representatives from the original developer. In 2014, the individual who was President of the Board for a very long time, was voted out in favor of my husband. I believe that individual is still the President of the Board at Ocean Pines. In the past the Owners Meetings at BIS Duck and Ocean Pines were always held on the same day with one in the morning and one in the afternoon. They had been held at the Black Pelican which was owned (and may still be owned) by the former President of our Board. When she was no longer on the Board, we went elsewhere for our Owners Meetings and this year made it a point that it not be on the same day as the Ocean Pines meeting. If Ocean Pines didn't have an Owners Meeting, I don't know why, although I understand that their rules make it almost impossible for the Board to change members. Frankly, if there was no meeting I am surprised that SPM let that happen. Maybe it is just the mood I am in right now, but I really think that unless Ocean Pines owners are happy with the way things are, they should push SPM to make sure that meetings that are supposed to be happening actually happen. And if Oceans Pines owners think that their resort can be maintained with such low maintenance fees, they might want to look at our resort and what happened under their President's reign. I really think things at BIS Duck are going in the right direction and we did pick up a lot of Yes votes recently regarding the termination issue so there is a good chance we will make it.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to go on record that while Barrier Island Station Duck and Ocean Pines share the place where they check in and also share management, they have two independent Boards. The Board at BIS Duck does not include any representatives from the original developer. In 2014, the individual who was President of the Board for a very long time, was voted out in favor of my husband. I believe that individual is still the President of the Board at Ocean Pines. In the past the Owners Meetings at BIS Duck and Ocean Pines were always held on the same day with one in the morning and one in the afternoon. They had been held at the Black Pelican which was owned (and may still be owned) by the former President of our Board. When she was no longer on the Board, we went elsewhere for our Owners Meetings and this year made it a point that it not be on the same day as the Ocean Pines meeting. If Ocean Pines didn't have an Owners Meeting, I don't know why, although I understand that their rules make it almost impossible for the Board to change members. Frankly, if there was no meeting I am surprised that SPM let that happen. Maybe it is just the mood I am in right now, but I really think that unless Ocean Pines owners are happy with the way things are, they should push SPM to make sure that meetings that are supposed to be happening actually happen. And if Oceans Pines owners think that their resort can be maintained with such low maintenance fees, they might want to look at our resort and what happened under their President's reign. I really think things at BIS Duck are going in the right direction and we did pick up a lot of Yes votes recently regarding the termination issue so there is a good chance we will make it.

Thank you again, Faye. I apologize if my posts have contributed to the "mood" you're in right now.

It is impossible, as you have stated, to ever hope for a change in board members at this resort since a quorum is never reached. Fortunately, for BIS, there are enough owners that stay involved enough to reach a quorum and make things happen.

The change at BIS in Board Members was indeed a boon to the resort when the former long-time President was finally ousted.

After reading your post, I went on the SPM Owners portal for Ocean Pines. There actually was a meeting on October 21. However, the communication that I received on October 20 was confusing. However, in rereading it today, I believe what was being stated was that there would be no voting vs. no meeting. I assume that they had already determined that there were not enough proxies received to reach a quorum. I apologize for providing incorrect information.

I think the inability to reach meeting quorums at Ocean Pines reflects owner involvement and awareness. A majority of owners must be "happy with the way things are" for the most part. Maintenance fees not going up keeps many satisfied. I, for one, would like to see fees increased to support the maintenance and upgrades that are needed at Ocean Pines. Over the years, I watched with great dismay and sadness as BIS deteriorated due to low maintenance fees. There were exterior and interior renovations completed at Ocean Pines in 2014/2015 after a special assessment. Unfortunately, there's more work to be done to the amenities and there needs to be an ongoing maintenance plan for this resort. There's no way either can be accomplished with such low fees.

You and your husband were/are very proactive BIS owners and it has resulted in positive changes being made that one could have only dreamed of during the reign of the former BOD President. I was witness, as an owner, for many years as to what can happen to a resort when a BOD President "rules" at a resort with their own best interests in mind. This same President and the developers also ran another OBX resort into the ground to near bankruptcy until it was recently acquired by another developer, and then shortly thereafter acquired by a much larger developer. The resort was "saved" and is quite nice. However, it does not have the bragging rights to WIFI like BIS has now nor the prime location, location, location.

You and your husband, as stated previously, have helped make positive changes (along with the participation of other owners). I'm not sure what I can do to affect similar change at Ocean Pines due to the lack of participation and interest by the majority of owners.

I am happy to hear that more "yes" votes have been received regarding the termination clause and that things continue to head in the right direction.

I'm happy to hear also that BIS isn't charging a $125 housekeeping fee to RCI exchangers for 7-night stays. In this case, I have to believe the Vacation Notice that I received is an error on RCI's part......but maybe not. If not, it will be to the detriment of Ocean Pines and its owners, IMHO.

Last edited:

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Faye / Egret,

I am not an RCI member, so thanks for the clarification. I guess the fee for a short stay only actually does make some sense.

Is this short stay fee just for RCI exchangers or will it also apply to guests coming into the resort via online sites like Booking.com and Orbitz? Not that it matters to me, but just curious.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
One of the reasons most timeshares only charge $60-$80 for 2 bedroom short stay though is if someone comes in for the second part of the week they also are paying the fee and only one additional housekeeping was performed. If no one books the second part of the week then no extra house keeping and supplies were used.

Fayeoctober

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barrier Island Station Duck charges a $125 Housekeeping fee for RCI Points stays that are less than a week. RCI Weeks Owners since they are staying for a week would not incur this charge. I assume this additional charge applies to short stays that are booked via on-line sites as well but I don't know that for sure. It is my understanding that the minimum stay allowed is three nights. I suggest that people booking short stays via on-line sites check with BIS Duck about this charge. With regard to BIS Duck and Owners Meetings, only 10% of the Owners have to be present in person or via proxy for a meeting to happen. A few years ago, an owner from Ocean Pines told me they needed 25%. Quite a difference. If I owned at Ocean Pines I would want to see where it states the 25%? It is my understanding that the Ocean Pines property was originally started by a developer not connected to BiS Duck but was ultimately purchased by the same BIS Duck developer and that is how our former President got to be there. I just want to restate again, that BIS Duck and Ocean Pines are two separate properties and we currently have a very active Board who is doing their best to keep BIS viable for years to come.

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, as Faye has responded, since no such fee exists at BIS for "all weeks and points stays" for RCI exchanges that this is simply an error on RCI's part for Ocean Pines. I hope so. I can't imagine that it would be instituted at Ocean Pines and not BIS since they are "sister" resorts and have the same management. My husband just stated that maybe I just got "trolled" or it's "fake news". :eek:

Anyway, I'll settle down a bit until I get word from the resort. I'll report back. :)

In response to my query to the resort management:

Ocean Pines resort is charging a $125.00 cleaning fee for all RCI bookings. If you make a home week reservation into your unit for your week then no you will not be charged.

Barrier Island is charging a $125.00 cleaning fee for RCI reservation that are less then 7 nights and if the reservation is booked mid week, not Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday.

While I'm glad to hear that I won't be charged the $125 housekeeping fee when using my Home Week through RCI Points, I'm perplexed why such a fee is being charged to RCI exchange guests for all exchanges. I had a death in my family in October and was unable to attend the HOA meeting this year. As usual, due to no quorum, there was not voting at meeting. However, I have to believe this new fee was discussed. I sure wish I had been there to find out the reasoning behind such a decision.

ctyankee62

Reaction score
i stayed at BIS-Duck in November as a guest. The property is beautiful. The staff, on the whole, less impressive. In fact I wondered if the resort was closing; their demeanor was so detached. I filled out a feedback form, provided my name, phone and email and offered to give detailed feedback on my stay. I have heard nothing in the last month.

So, a committed Board is great but the potential buyer interacts with the staff. They need to be great, too. Sadly that was not the case last month.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree this resort has the potential to be a Gold Crown Resort. Just the Location is a ten and if someone could remodel all the villa at this resort. The true property value would be a 100 times it’s present value and the land value would be sky high.

I had a friend who purchased a lot in Duck around 1980 for $10,000.00 not on the Oceanside.
It sold for over $60,000 in 1990.

This location and land is an outstanding opportunity for a major hotel like Marriott or Hyatt. Oceanfront land on OBX is very, very limited and oceanfront acres in Duck. Wow is a luxury.

I can foresee this resort going into

foreclosure and being purchase by a major chain. For Pennies on a Dollars.
This is my personal opinion only.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
I personally hope all this gets sorted out in a positive way as my husband and I are soon moving to the Carolinas and vacationing at Barrier Island/Duck is on the list of resorts North and South Carolina has to offer. I will be following this thread with interest.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Months of June to the first week in September their came be a million tourist on OBX.
Please book early for summer months rentals and short stays on OBX.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
Thank you, Pedro. I surely will.

Fayeoctober

TUG Member
Reaction score
This reply is addressed to ctyankee62 who logged on as a Guest and also to pedro47 My husband is on the Board at Barrier Island Station Duck. He has been on it for three years and replaced a long time President who was actually part of the original Developer's team and it is my belief that for a long period of time the President and some of her followers contributed to the resort going downhill because of inadequate maintenance fees. In our most recent election, two new people were elected to the Board - one replacing a long time member who while good wasn't really pro-active enough. Our two new Board members are really digging in and working hard so that hopefully we will not have our land purchased for "pennies on the dollar." Anyway, what I really wanted to say to ctyankee62 was we appreciate your turning in a comment card with your name and phone number but the card has to make it to the Board and I personally am not that confident that it will on a timely basis. If you want to make sure your comments get the quickest attention it would be helpful for you to send me a private message and I can send you my husband's email address. It would also be very helpful if you can provide the names of the staff that you felt were "detached." That way the Board can help see that they get some extra customer service training. With regard to the other comment, it is not likely that Barrier Island Station will get foreclosed. We don't have a mortgage. Admittedly we have a lot of non-paying owners but we are trying to deal with that.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish this HOA Board and this Resort the very best for the coming New Year.

Suggestion only and food for thought: can you increase the maintenance fees by ten or twenty dollars per owner to cover what you need these fees to cover at the resort.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish this HOA Board and this Resort the very best for the coming New Year.

Suggestion only and food for thought: can you increase the maintenance fees by ten or twenty dollars per owner to cover what you need these fees to cover at the resort.
The annual MF's for 2018 have been raised to $750 versus $680 in 2017. In addition there will be a Special Assessment levied at some point in 2018 of approx. $1,100 to $1,300 per owner (per week) to cover the full interior renovations. I believe this is now tentatively scheduled to begin in the fall of 2018. As I understand it from the annual meeting the next 9-10 months will be spent finalizing a design partner and scheduling and finalizing the start dates.

Fayeoctober

TUG Member
Reaction score
First I want to thank pedro47 for the best wishes. An increase in maintenance fees of only $10 or $20 dollars per owner isn't going to come close to making up for years of inadequate maintenance fees. While I agree there was a significant increase in fees between 2017 and 2018, there had been no increase for a few years and in looking at the time period between 2010 and 2018, while the fees went up a total of 25%, there were still significantly below the National average for all Domestic resorts. We definitely need to get our delinquencies down and the Board is working on that. I see a problem in trying to balance what the resort needs in Revenue while at the same time not making fees or assessments so high that the delinquency rate goes up. The estimates that have been received for the full interior renovations are turning out to be significantly higher than planned. We need to get them down. I think some of the problem is that there are a significant number of different floor plans and the designers couldn't get into all the units while there were people in them. The renovations involve a lot more than just furniture, carpets, appliances, etc. I really hope this all works out

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Fayeoctober, the National Hospitality Group (NHG) claims on their website the BIS Duck is one of their destinations. Are you free to clarify the relationship between NHG and BIS Duck?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This resort is located in OBX and the location is Awesome.

Fayeoctober

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maple_Leaf - don't know what the National Hospitality Group is? Before I get Hubby stirred up about something, can you give me information on where you saw this. I do know that MVP is selling timeshares for our owners and also selling some timeshares that have been turned in under the Deed-in-Lieu program and also trying to get some delinquent owners into the fold. I don't know if they are connected to this, but we are definitely not part of any vacation club. If something is going on that isn't supposed to, we need to know. Please either comment here or send me a private message. Thank you.

Fayeoctober

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, I Googled them which I probably should have done to begin with. SPM Resorts manages BIS Duck but we have an independent Board which my husband is on as the Treasurer. SPM is apparently part of the National Hospitality Group and that transaction occurred sometime this year I think. SPM Resorts handles our money - in other words taking it in and spending it. They are also responsible for the day to day activity but the Board provides the general policy guidance. BIS Duck is an independent resort, and is associated with RCI. We are not part of any vacation club nor are we looking to be part of one. To my knowledge, Owners can't trade a week at BIS Duck for a week at one of the National Hospitality Group resorts unless they do the trade through RCI. Is there other information you are seeking?