• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Worldwide Travel Events? Scam?

mjlatl

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of Worldwide Travel Events out of Naperville, IL? They have contacted me about purchasing my Vidanta Grand Luxxe Master Suite. Can't find any info on them, and they are talking about a high price. I asked about how they conduct the transfer and they said they would use First American Title or Fidelity Title or Chicago Title (all reputable).

Should I continue with this or is this a complete waste of time?

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
No offence, but there is nothing special about your timeshare. This is a money grab - pure and simple. Following is an article which discusses the general category of "Mexican Timeshare Scams." Your circumstances are described pretty well.

https://www.insidethegate.com/how-to-spot-a-scam/the-mexico-escrow-scam-2/

They are using the name of a reputable American company to pique your interest. When they ask you to wire money, it will be to a Mexican bank account. And, they WILL ask you to wire money.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of Worldwide Travel Events out of Naperville, IL? They have contacted me about purchasing my Vidanta Grand Luxxe Master Suite. Can't find any info on them, and they are talking about a high price. I asked about how they conduct the transfer and they said they would use First American Title or Fidelity Title or Chicago Title (all reputable).

Should I continue with this or is this a complete waste of time?

You already know the answer. There is no buyer for your Mexican timeshare. There is, however, evidently still another new, obscure entity out there, looking to put big dollar signs in your eyes --- right before delivering the news that in order to proceed further, you must first pre-pay for some new tortilla tax, title search, foreign investment permit, escrow fee or [insert any other bogus, nonsense charge of your personal choice or preference here]. Non traceable Western Union payment would certainly be very nice too --- or maybe just kindly provide all of your bank account information.

Don't waste another moment of your time with these thieving parasites.

Last edited:

mjlatl

Reaction score
I wasn't even thinking about selling. I'm actually pretty happy with having it and with no required fees doesn't cost me anything if I don't use it.

It was just a random call and I was on vacation and had time to ask some questions. If real I would spend time with it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
easily one of the biggest red flags of a scammer in this industry is a random cold call about selling or renting your timeshare.

company names and details mean very little...noone legitimate in this industry makes cold calls to owners.

Herbstrmom

Reaction score
So who is legit? My parents have the same location and are getting too old to travel

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
So who is legit? My parents have the same location and are getting too old to travel
Nobody. If they have the same deal as you, no MF if no use, just let it expire.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

There are very few, if any legitimate resellers for Mexican timeshares as they have little or no value. Your parents have a few choices. They can stop paying MFs and hope that the contract terminates. They would face some collection calls but that's about the extent of it.

They could list it in TUG's Bargain Basement saying that they want to give it away. Or they could contact the resort, state their plight saying that they will no longer be paying MFs and then hope the resort terminates the membership.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
They could list it in TUG's Bargain Basement saying that they want to give it away. Or they could contact the resort, state their plight saying that they will no longer be paying MFs and then hope the resort terminates the membership.
The major problem here is that Vidanta requires some multiple of MF (5X?) to do a transfer, and it's just a RTU anyway. The 'owner' doesn't OWN anything. Stop paying and move on. If the parents in this case are 'too old to travel', it's unlikely they will be bothered by the 'requests' to re-up.