• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Fairmont / Sunchaser / Northwynd official thread with lawsuit info!

Floyd55

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmont
If one side holds the power, is it ever in good faith? When court decisions supported NM's position that all costs are chargeable to TS holders and agreed NM can charge a cancellation fee... I feel angry, frustrated, sad, disillusioned, but my practical side says this gig's up. I just don't see an avenue that will result in cost savings and can't afford to risk an even higher bill down the road.

At this point I am afraid I have to agree. We have dug our heels in and refused to pay over the past 4 years of litigation hoping that in the end someone would see things from our perspective. Now we are stuck paying our original fee plus interest plus four years of maintenance fees plus a fee to exit! My fear is that if we duck out of this deal the end result will only be more expensive. Seems hard to believe that it could get worse than it is, but I'm afraid it would.

Reaction score
I am paying 4 times the amount now of my purchase price of my timeshare in the year 2000. I don't even know how to secure a loan for that amount. This has been the biggest nightmare. Why is NW bill almost 5000 less than the overall bill I am getting? I am going to have to decide to pay for my medical treatments or the settlement because I can not do both.

Huckleberry

Reaction score
Well, we are here now. But we can sit and moan or stand up and do something about it. Have you got to the article by Danielle Smith and commented or at least liked the good posts? Have you written your MLA and the MLA's in the areas affected? Have your written your Premiere? The opposition? CBC? Service Canada? RCMP Fraud department? Have you E-mailed something to every address posted in this thread?

If the answer is "no", then take a good hard look in the mirror. Think about whether you want to just complain, or if you want to do something about it. We collectively didn't act before, but right now if you want something done, it's time to do it yourself.

Geldert, Northmont, and everyone else wants us to just roll over and complain. They don't want us to do something about it, or to help ourselves.

What are you going to do about it?

Punter

TUG Member
Reaction score
We received the following letter today from the Provincial Court of Alberta.

January 8th, 2018

Re: Correspondence Address to Honourable Judge Young.

I take this opportunity to respond to your letter to Judge Young.

Judge Young has issued a written decision on this matter (2017 ABPC 249), and we understand an appeal of the decision has been filed. Accordingly, Judge's Young's authority is now exhausted with respect to everything except the issues of interests and costs, which are subject of a forthcoming decision. She has no power to revisit anything in the aforementioned written decision and has received submissions from counsel on the other matter, which is under consideration.

When a litigant is represented, any communications to and from Judge Young can only occur through counsel, with copies to all parties. If you are unhappy with your current legal representation, you may wish to seek alternative legal advice as to the appropriate steps to take. You may also wish to contact the Law Society of British Columbia and/or the Law Society of Alberta, as they are the organizations that govern the behavior of lawyers. If you have complaints or concerns they will be able to assist you.

Sincerely yours,

Kim Palichuk
Executive Legal Counsel

Petus@18

Reaction score

January 8th, 2018

Judge Young has issued a written decision on this matter (2017 ABPC 249), and we understand an appeal of the decision has been filed. Accordingly, Judge's Young's authority is now exhausted with respect to everything except the issues of interests and costs, which are subject of a forthcoming decision. She has no power to revisit anything in the aforementioned written decision and has received submissions from counsel on the other matter, which is under consideration.

When a litigant is represented, any communications to and from Judge Young can only occur through counsel, with copies to all parties. If you are unhappy with your current legal representation, you may wish to seek alternative legal advice as to the appropriate steps to take. You may also wish to contact the Law Society of British Columbia and/or the Law Society of Alberta, as they are the organizations that govern the behavior of lawyers. If you have complaints or concerns they will be able to assist you.

Sincerely yours,

Kim Palichuk
Executive Legal Counsel

Thanks for sharing, at least we know she acknowledged our trying to communicate with her. Hopefully we will find some other lawyer to help us.

Last edited:

Scammed!

Reaction score
I would suggest all of you contact Mathew J.N. Farrell by phone the minute you can at
(403) 457-7778. No promises. The more that call the better. As stated above we need legal counsel to do the proper steps.... A.S.A.P.!

Petus@18

Reaction score
I would suggest all of you contact Mathew J.N. Farrell by phone the minute you can at
(403) 457-7778. No promises. The more that call the better. As stated above we need legal counsel to do the proper steps.... A.S.A.P.!

Thanks for this information, the office is closed now but we will call him tomorrow morning.

My hope is that all sites from FB (secret and no so secret) unite forces with us ASAP, and retain a lawyer that will be able to communicate with Judge Young our concerns about the ridiculous settlement Geldert sent. This is the time we all should be together!

Scammed!

Reaction score
Thanks for this information, the office is closed now but we will call him tomorrow morning.

My hope is that all sites from FB (secret and no so secret) unite forces with us ASAP, and retain a lawyer that will be able to communicate with Judge Young our concerns about the ridiculous settlement Geldert sent. This is the time we all should be together!
This information was open to all on the radio. He may or may not be able to help...Don't know. I think everyone is entitled to legal advise of some kind at this moment, and everyone has to make their own decisions.

Spark1

Reaction score

January 8th, 2018

Sincerely yours,

Kim Palichuk
Executive Legal Counsel
I just finished emailing my MP as well as the Premier of Alberta Rachael Notlely, Stephanie McLean the minister of Service Alberta and Kathleen Ganley Minister of Justice. Every one please write your MP and insist on action from all governments federal or Provincial and tell them what happened to us was Consumer. Affairs in Canada as well as all the provinces that created a Monster From Calgary Alberta that is robbing innocent Canadians Life Savings. It is the Canadian Governments responsibly as well as Consumer Affairs in all the provinces to protect all consumers from White Collar Crime. They did not and if they did this would not be happening. Timeshare got a bad name because the politicians are not doing their jobs. There should of been guide lines set out what and what they can not do if you are a owner of a timeshare resort. This means you can not Rob innocent hard working Canadians. Tell the politicians that you want protection from these Scammers it is our right to get this Protection. My contract is from the Canadian Consumer Handbook just a simple Lease Agreement just like several timeshare lease Canadians. Timeshare is no different than any other service you have a right to be protected and if the government does not want to this make it illegal to sell timeshares in Canada. Wake up Governments. This is not a dictatorship this is Canada and it is not a communist Country. This war is not over yet,we are feed up with all the abuse they have given us.

melamike

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchase
Can someone please help me? I've filed a complaint against MG with the BC Law Society but I want to expand my complaint and offer some more material for them to review. I seem to recall at some point that MG was asked about defending the VIA's when so many had Vacation Leases. He said in an update that he would address that issue at a late date - but he never did as far as I know. I can't seem to find that transmission - does anyone have it? As we all know he has lumped us all into one group even though our agreements vary and I want to bring this to the Society's attention.

Lily123

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmont

January 8th, 2018

Sincerely yours,

Kim Palichuk
Executive Legal Counsel

I wonder when this "forthcoming decision" will be made, it needs to be made prior to our payment deadline? Is she aware of this date? No wonder the release they are wanting to enforce was so insistent that only BC courts decision was valid as Her decision could impact them. Punter, any idea? What address did you write to?

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Need another attorney to navigate all that. Judge Young is done with us unless forced to deal with us by some sort of legal procedure. MG isn’t going to do it for us

Agree. From the number of times that the conduct of the attorney is discussed by the court - which is rare in the US - it is clear to me that MG's tactics have alienated the court and MG likely is trying to mitigate his exposure and/or possible censure by avoiding going in front of Judge Young again.

If MG had his clients best interest in mind he would have mitigated their exposure by advising them to continuing to pay m/f while the contractual issue was being litigated. As another group apparently did. Instead he took the exact opposite position - advising clients to withhold the dues - which others have said was intended to drive NM to the settlement table. That is a very risky strategy as it ballooned the bad debt expense the resort incurred. Which is easily converted to monetary damages, and compounded given how long this has dragged on. Given NM a good case for explaining to the Judge why the original $3-4k cancellation offer is no longer on the table.

Beelzebub

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
fairmont bc
I am not one to organize as I am not living in Canada at the moment but could a protest not be organized on HIway 93 at the entrance to the resort (I use that word lightly) and get some press and bad publicity for these pricks who will be trying to sell our rentals to other unsuspecting fish?

Beelzebub

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
fairmont bc
I am not one to organize as I am not living in Canada at the moment but could a protest not be organized on HIway 93 at the entrance to the resort (I use that word lightly) and get some press and bad publicity for these pricks who will be trying to sell our rentals to other unsuspecting fish?
it would feel good if nothing else. You should not be raped monetarily and stay silent.

CleoB

Reaction score
I am paying 4 times the amount now of my purchase price of my timeshare in the year 2000. I don't even know how to secure a loan for that amount. This has been the biggest nightmare. Why is NW bill almost 5000 less than the overall bill I am getting? I am going to have to decide to pay for my medical treatments or the settlement because I can not do both.
What do you mean NW bill is almost 5000 less than the overall bill? Does MG show what NW has paid? I declined this settlement so have not received any emails from MG since.

Beelzebub

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
fairmont bc
does anyone know what they can go after? I am retired, can they go after my pension or rrsp?

Hey lady

Reaction score
does anyone know what they can go after? I am retired, can they go after my pension or rrsp?
My understanding is pensions and RRSP cannot be touched. Keep in mind that the minute pension monies are deposited into your bank account your bank account is "game". Keep your money under your pillow.

Hey lady

Reaction score
What do you mean NW bill is almost 5000 less than the overall bill? Does MG show what NW has paid? I declined this settlement so have not received any emails from MG since.
The invoice dated Dec 30, 2017 is less than the amount Geldert reached in the "settlement " with Northmont. Paying the Dec 30, 2017 amount entitles one to stay, not leave. However, you would still receive an additional invoice from Northmont for a share of the legal fees against each contract. So it isn't cheaper to pay the Dec 30, 2017 invoice instead of the "settlement".

#deceived

Reaction score
We shouldn't have to pay either of them!

We called MG's office today....don't you know he is 'not taking any calls' today. Surprise surprise.

rlaseur

Reaction score
So are people sending to their own MLA/MP in AB? or to all MLAs/MPs?