• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I don't understand the logic that people will unload WSJ because of the hurricane. The MFs were drastically reduced, virtually everyone got StarOptions, and the resort will be back in 2019. Clearly the island will never be "the same" but it's still a paradise.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought for sure that by now there would be owners trying to unload WSJ for cheap given the circumstances, but am not seeing it on Redweek or Myresortsales. Is my impression correct that people are sticking it out until 2019?

Going to Maui instead this year and with the reduced MFs may actually throw one of the in II to see if I can pull something cool. Plus the discount on SPs I turned into a trip to St. Kitts and 4 plane tickets. Definitely keeping my ownership weeks.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think its too early to see people dumping WSJ on redweek.

I actually think the real issue will be the ones who just walk away and don't pay the mf.

dokken88

Reaction score
What do you all of you fellow WSJ folks think about ease of use-- SO- 3 weeks back to back in October.
We have beem going since 04 and it sure looks like it would be doable. I'm attempting to buy WKR or SVV weeks with end result of 132K SO for 3 weeks in studio VG.
Thanks as always!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I think its too early to see people dumping WSJ on redweek.

I actually think the real issue will be the ones who just walk away and don't pay the mf.

I agree. I also believe it depends on the WSJ Phase and the individual situations of the Owners.

For VGV - before H.Irma - the HOA already were attempting to sell VOIs (third time for the VGV HOA to recover MFs by reselling delinquent/forfeited VOIs). The majority of these VOIs were low season. They suffer a poor SO/MF as compared to Plat+. It was nice to get discounted SOs for 2018. For 2019, being a Mandatory resort, the SOs are transferable (great), but the SO/MF for low season makes ownership to the point of being valueless, or close to it. And the same issue exists - poor SO/MF. Maybe the rumor is true and these will become some sort of Flex.

BV can also be at risk as the resale buyers do not get SOs, and has low season/high season split with same MFs. This issue was resolved with CV and SB phases (MF relative to season/HOs) - plus very few resale Owners. So I see less risk of forfeitures. This is MY opinion - I am aware there are alternate views. For those looking long-term, I suspect there will be many VOIs to pick up on the cheap (WSJ does not have a ROFR) - especially Gold season. Less Plat, and few Plat+. If you see the HOAs selling to VSE (like was done with VGV during last offer). This may be evidence of a Flex system including WSJ units being built. But, still too soon to know. WSJ opening is still a year away.

For every owner - it will take some time for StJ to come back regardless of the desire by locals for tourists to return (I read every StJ news/blogs) - this is a pure consequence of the vast destruction and time for nature to heal. This is supported by past experiences with hurricanes. For many, this makes StJ no longer a destination for a while (could be great for others...). WSJ will be closed for 2018 (and has been since Sept) - and Caneel is destroyed. That is a lot of people that are not going to StJ until 2019. This situation will eventually change - but I would suspect that this will not be quick enough for some.

I predict that VSE will end up with a lot of forfeited VOIs over next few years. (I have good record on predictions...). IMO YMMV

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
What do you all of you fellow WSJ folks think about ease of use-- SO- 3 weeks back to back in October.
We have beem going since 04 and it sure looks like it would be doable. I'm attempting to buy WKR or SVV weeks with end result of 132K SO for 3 weeks in studio VG.
Thanks as always!

3 adjacent studio weeks in October 2019? I think that this will be doable - low season and there are many studios. Good luck, but you will not now until Feb 2019 (8-month point) as a SO exchange. IMO

dokken88

Reaction score
3 adjacent studio weeks in October 2019? I think that this will be doable - low season and there are many studios. Good luck, but you will not now until Feb 2019 (8-month point) as a SO exchange. IMO
Im trying to wheel and deal to buy SVV or WKR to acquire enough points at a low MF yearly so I may need that long. We rent from same owner every year and get 2 weeks concurent. At the price we pay(is a pretty good deal) I think I could accumulate enough SO to do 3 weeks.
Thanks..Im a long time lurker sometimes poster and you seem to be the WSJ "guru"!!!
Btw..any tips on accumulating 132k SO with a yearl MF of around 2kish??

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Has anyone heard anything new about the $25/nt USVI tax that was added in 2017? Is this being challenged and is there a chance of repeal? Given the lack of tourism dollars currently, could we see an increase of this? For a 7 night normal timeshare stay, that's an extra $175 in taxes......that's a lot!!

halsey

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is our first time receiving star options since we always return to our week 19 VG studio. Is there a cancellation policy for star option reservations?

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is our first time receiving star options since we always return to our week 19 VG studio. Is there a cancellation policy for star option reservations?

15) How do I make a reservation with Starwood?

The earliest you can make a reservation at your home resort for your deeded unit size & season is 12 mos. from your desired check-in date.

That means if you own a 2 bdm. lock-off, at 12 mos. out, you can reserve:
1) The whole 2 bedroom unit or
2) Just the 1 bdm. side or
3) Just the studio side

To make a reservation at your home resort, call owner services - (888) 986-9637, during the Owner's Preference Period, 12-8 mos. out from the date of arrival. OR - make your reservation online at www.mystarcentral.com

Best practice: Call exactly at 12 mos. out at 9:00 a.m. ET.
OR - make your reservation online, 12 mos. + 1 day before check-in, at 12 midnight eastern at https://login.vistana.com/login

To make a Staroption exchange
, call owner services 8 - 0 mos. out from the date of arrival. OR - go online at 8 mos. + 1 day before check-in, at 12 midnight eastern at https://login.vistana.com/login

Reservations for less/more than a full week can also be made 8 - 0 mos. out, if available.

Reservations canceled within 60 days of the check-in date, can only be used to make future reservations at 60 days out from arrival date and Starwood may charge a cancellation fee. Reservations cancelled within 60 days, cannot be converted to Starpoints, or rolled over to the next year.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Has anyone heard anything new about the $25/nt USVI tax that was added in 2017? Is this being challenged and is there a chance of repeal? Given the lack of tourism dollars currently, could we see an increase of this? For a 7 night normal timeshare stay, that's an extra $175 in taxes......that's a lot!!

One angle that may help a legal challenge on this unfair fee (tax) is that the fee is the same whether a studio or 3Bd - yet, it was pushed as an environmental fee. It really hurts the low season studio Owners - who were already jumping ship before H.Irma.
oh yeah... IMO

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Im trying to wheel and deal to buy SVV or WKR to acquire enough points at a low MF yearly so I may need that long. We rent from same owner every year and get 2 weeks concurent. At the price we pay(is a pretty good deal) I think I could accumulate enough SO to do 3 weeks.
Thanks..Im a long time lurker sometimes poster and you seem to be the WSJ "guru"!!!
Btw..any tips on accumulating 132k SO with a yearl MF of around 2kish??

Far from Guru - I just love STJ.
IMO - I would prefer to buy WKV over SVV since disposable cash is not an issue. AND, we can use WKV. I would never stay at SVV. We live in NorCal and no kids at home.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
One angle that may help a legal challenge on this unfair fee (tax) is that the fee is the same whether a studio or 3Bd - yet, it was pushed as an environmental fee. It really hurts the low season studio Owners - who were already jumping ship before H.Irma.
oh yeah... IMO

That's what I was wondering, are there any legal challenges?? I read somewhere that ARDA was fighting this but never saw anything new showing any results. $25/night tax is quite hefty and I'm sure it will negatively impact tourism.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
From WSJ VGV BOD Bob Werbel (email correspondence). I have no personal knowledge of person being recommended - but Bob supports him.
Bob is not seeking re-election - see below.

Dear Fellow Virgin Grand Villa Owner-
I am writing to you as one of your owner-elected members of the Board of Directors of our Homeowners Association. My co-director, Phil Schrag and I were elected to the Board in May 2010 and we have been re-elected to our Board several times since then. I know that I have met many of you personally and communicated by email with many others. That has been one of the unexpected pleasures of Board membership.
Under our staggered governance system my Board seat is up for me to be re-elected or someone selected by the Nominating Committee to be elected at next month's Annual Meeting. After careful consideration I had concluded not to seek re-election. This decision involved in part my belief that most of what had motivated me to seek Board representation in the first instance had been accomplished. Most importantly this involved better communications directly with owners and assuring that our annual budgets included realistic and continuing buildups of insurance and maintenance reserves. But my decision also involves recognizing the importance that the new director have an opportunity to transition into that position with Phil as a co-director for as long a time as possible.
I am writing to share with you that among the four nominees presented by the Nominating Committee in the Notice of Annual Meeting has just been sent, I will be casting my votes for the timeshare units I own for Laurence Pelletier, and here is why. As his personal statement reflects, his expertise is both relevant and significant. But also, over the past few years Larry has been a thoughtful and supportive correspondent with Phil and me (and with Virgin Grand Management) with constructive ideas and suggestions that he has expressed with appreciation for the responsibility that Phil and I had undertaken as volunteers. I have full confidence that, if elected, Larry Pelletier will serve us owners well. I encourage you, too, to vote for him.
Thank you for your continuing support of Phil and me as your owner-elected directors.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
btw VGV Owners...

Time to get out the vote again. Worked well last time (IMO)
So... please share with every VGV Owner as you can.

We need to make sure VSE notices VGV Owner participation.

VOTE (or don’t complain...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
btw VGV Owners...

Time to get out the vote again. Worked well last time (IMO)
So... please share with every VGV Owner as you can.

We need to make sure VSE notices VGV Owner participation.

VOTE (or don’t complain...)

Do we vote online?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
VGV has the best owner representation in the VSE system. I hope everyone who owns votes to keep it that way...

suzanna945

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
I am curious about the offers that were extended to Westin owners to purchase points after the hurricanes and/or bank options until 2021 to make up for loss of use. Did everyone get this offer in an email or postal mailing? We have not.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Do we vote online?

You should receive a ballot in the mail, and/or email with instructions of how to vote online.

I have not received an email or ballot as of yet.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am curious about the offers that were extended to Westin owners to purchase points after the hurricanes and/or bank options until 2021 to make up for loss of use. Did everyone get this offer in an email or postal mailing? We have not.

As not to rehash - see beginning of this thread.

In short - VGV Owners and those that bought from VSE/SVO for other phases - can bank their SOs or use them for 2018. We used ours for WPORV in June.

They also offered SP packages for a discount- I bought one of these.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You should receive a ballot in the mail, and/or email with instructions of how to vote online.

I have not received an email or ballot as of yet.

Thanks! We were gone for the entire Jan and I was worried that Ballot might have got lost in the holding mail...

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Thanks! We were gone for the entire Jan and I was worried that Ballot might have got lost in the holding mail...

I received mine(USPS) last Friday, Feb 9, so hopefully it should be coming soon.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I received mine(USPS) last Friday, Feb 9, so hopefully it should be coming soon.
I threw mine out! Without opening it. Darn. Maybe we can vote online as well ???

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I threw mine out! Without opening it. Darn. Maybe we can vote online as well ???
I will look at mine again when I get home and PM you the info. I don't remember if it has a specific code on the letter for each owner.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I will look at mine again when I get home and PM you the info. I don't remember if it has a specific code on the letter for each owner.
Thanks!