• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TUG - LM rental board, normal to see exchange rentals??

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have posted a few of these types of deals in the Sighting/Distress forum but let me warm you not to call it a distress. Read the sticky note first about what a distress really is on that forum. If you do, DeniseM will set you straight.

Just call it a crazy good deal and point them to the exchange company.

Just to clarify - When you post a good exchange that you can see on an exchange company website, that is a "Sighting."

A "distressed" week is an exchange that you have in hand, but can't use it, so you are offering to Tuggers.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I have posted a few of these types of deals in the Sighting/Distress forum but let me warm you not to call it a distress. Read the sticky note first about what a distress really is on that forum. If you do, DeniseM will set you straight.

Just call it a crazy good deal and point them to the exchange company.

I have seen several bargain rentals available for less from DAE on the LMR forum. I am sure a lot of this comes from other exchange company bargain deals, "getaways", etc. for members. This type of poster on LMR gets paid by the renter, purchases the bargain deal from the exchange company and puts it in the renters name. DAE membership is free, but others may not be.

New to this thread, however I have had similar questions about LMR posting and I find this discussion helpful.

What does DAE stand for?

Lastly, I was contacted by a scammer last month. Long story short I did not bite, however when I pushed back and said that you cannot rent exchanges on RCI, he pointed me to a list of rules on the RCI website for cash getaways which suggests that you can obtain guest certificates to rent out extra and Last Minute Getaways. I cannot find the page again, but it made me wonder if cash getaways and last minute, not exchanged reservations, can be rented.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You are not supposed to rent any RCI products - guest certificates are for guests.

DAE = Dial An Exchange (exchange company)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
His point was that it does not limit the guest certificate to "Family and Friends." This is why it would be helpful to see the actual RCI rule wording that forbids cash vacation rentals. From the HGVC portal, I have ever seen a rule book for RCI.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This has been discussed many, many times on TUG, and there are a few Tuggers who have had their accounts closed because of it - please see the link I posted above.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And here is the specific rule from the RCI Terms and Conditions:
Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 5.05.40 PM.png

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks. This helps. However a devil's advocate would say that this clause pertains to "underlying Confirmed Exchanges" not "Extra Vacations" or "Last Calls" where a cash purchase is involved. Does RCI have anything specific in the rules on cash purchases? (BTW...I've never rented any timeshares, but now I am curious to know.)

Alternatively is there a preamble clause with the definition of an "underlying Confirmed Exchange"

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Please note that is says "Guest Certificates" - whether it is an Extra Vacation, Last Call, or an exchange you would have to purchase a Guest Certificate, and they cannot be sold. It's pretty clear.

I know a number of "Devils Advocates" who had their accounts closed by RCI and/or II. ;)

This has been debated to a pulp on TUG - I don't think there is any doubt.

Here's the deal: If you quietly get an exchange or rental for a friend - you are very unlikely to get caught.

If you make a cottage industry out of it and advertise to strangers on the internet, you will eventually get caught, because someone will turn you in, or an unwitting renter will call RCI to "confirm their reservation."

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Understood however the statement is referring to Guest Certificates associated with an "underlying Confirmed Exchange." Why wouldn't it say 'Guest Certificates associated with an underlying Reservation" or something to that effect to include cash reservations?

Have any Tuggers had their accounts closed down for doing this with cash reservations? Perhaps RCI doesn't care (or looks the other way) because they want to get the excess inventory sold and earn their exchange fee?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As I said, this has already been debated to death on TUG, and I just can't do it again. :hi:

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I cannot find the page again, but it made me wonder if cash getaways and last minute, not exchanged reservations, can be rented.

Thanks for clarifying. FYI...Found the page on extra vacations that the scammer pointed to. See the last bullet:

http://pgs.rci.com/landing/InsideRCI/extravacations/indexthankyou.html

For comparison can someone share the specific rules from RCI that forbids renting?

His point was that it does not limit the guest certificate to "Family and Friends." This is why it would be helpful to see the actual RCI rule wording that forbids cash vacation rentals. From the HGVC portal, I have ever seen a rule book for RCI.

Thanks. This helps. However a devil's advocate would say that this clause pertains to "underlying Confirmed Exchanges" not "Extra Vacations" or "Last Calls" where a cash purchase is involved. Does RCI have anything specific in the rules on cash purchases? (BTW...I've never rented any timeshares, but now I am curious to know.)

Alternatively is there a preamble clause with the definition of an "underlying Confirmed Exchange"

Understood however the statement is referring to Guest Certificates associated with an "underlying Confirmed Exchange." Why wouldn't it say 'Guest Certificates associated with an underlying Reservation" or something to that effect to include cash reservations?

Have any Tuggers had their accounts closed down for doing this with cash reservations? Perhaps RCI doesn't care (or looks the other way) because they want to get the excess inventory sold and earn their exchange fee?

You seem to be looking for a different answer. Call RCI. DeniseM doesn't make RCI policy. DeniseM doesn't write their Terms and Conditions. You may be more confident (and accepting) in the answer that you get directly from RCI. Or maybe not. It depends who you get on the other end of the phone.

As I said, this has already been debated to death on TUG, and I just can't do it again. :hi:

Good job on your attempts to inform. :thumbup:

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just one more point before I go on my merry way: I honestly couldn't care less if people rent exchanges or GetAways - I am not the RCI police.

My purpose is to inform both owners and renters what the consequeces are if you get caught. It could result in your account being frozen or closed, and for a renter it could mean you lose your money and your rental.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I looked through the terms and don't see anything special related to Extra vacations in the terms and conditions although it does mention:
“Guest Certificate” means a certificate purchased from or otherwise provided by RCI, in its sole discretion, allowing the use of Inventory or Alternative Inventory or certain other benefits of membership, for noncommercial purposes, as a gift to friends or family

Also from the RCI help:

Thousands of RCI Subscribing Members enjoy Extra Vacations getaways every month. Here are a few reasons why they are so popular:

• You can book them regardless of whether or not you have a week available to exchange.
  • There is no limit to the number of Extra Vacations getaways you can take.
  • You can choose from a wide range of resorts and destinations around the world.
  • Fantastic everyday low pricing.
  • You can even add a Guest Certificate and give an Extra Vacations getaway as a gift!
What is an RCI® Guest Certificate?
An RCI Guest Certificate allows a friend or family member to check in to a vacation at an RCI affiliated resort booked through your RCI account. They can be purchased with cash and applied to an RCI exchange vacation, an Extra VacationsSM getaway or a Last CallSM vacation.

RCI Guest Certificates can also be applied to RCI Cruise vacations. Simply indicate that the vacation is for a guest at the time of booking.

So anytime a guest certificate is mentioned by RCI it explicitly mentions that you are giving the Vacations or Exchanges as a gift.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@DeniseM I appreciate your answers and all that you do for Tuggers. I have learned a lot and am not trying to be difficult. Just trying to understand the RCI policy because the wording appears to be vague.

Perhaps calling them would clear up this confusion.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
@DeniseM I appreciate your answers and all that you do for Tuggers. I have learned a lot and am not trying to be difficult. Just trying to understand the RCI policy because the wording appears to be vague.

Perhaps calling them would clear up this confusion.
The RCI disclosure guide is on the HGVC website under the ownership tab. It makes it pretty clear that you cannot use a guest certificate for commercial purposes. It also states that you can have your membership revoked and the reservation cancelled. Just read that and it should answer your questions.

Page 16 Para I.

Cheers,

Last edited:

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
The RCI disclosure guide is on the HGVC website under the ownership tab. It makes it pretty clear that you cannot use a guest certificate for commercial purposes. It also states that you can have your membership revoked and the reservation cancelled. Just read that and it should answer your questions.

Page 16 Para I.

Cheers,

Similarly, as linked above, t&c of my Hyatt timeshare make it clear that I cannot use my owned fixed week for commercial purposes. I suspect other timeshares have similar language in their documents.

It's not a question about rules. It's about how it is enforced in practice. Otherwise if you always follow rules, then you also should not rent out your owned deeded week.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
Similarly, as linked above, t&c of my Hyatt timeshare make it clear that I cannot use my owned fixed week for commercial purposes. I suspect other timeshares have similar language in their documents.

It's not a question about rules. It's about how it is enforced in practice. Otherwise if you always follow rules, then you also should not rent out your owned deeded week.
I have no idea what they'll let you get away with. I don't care as I'll never do it. I was merely getting the definitive answer that CalGalTraveler was looking for.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Page 16 Para I.

Cheers,

Thanks! This is what I was looking for:

upload_2018-3-14_7-35-14.png

upload_2018-3-14_7-41-35.png

Although the non-commercial clause refers to underlying "Exchanges" which is not defined in the definitions section, the Guest Certificate clause prohibits commercial activity which would appear to cover it.

Thanks for finding the rule book. I didn't know where to find it. This is helpful to know as a potential renter of timeshares.

Last edited: