• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Complementing Vistana with Hilton

zjhasan1976

Reaction score
I currently am a Vistana owner with a mandatory resort (so have access to Star Options) and was looking at expanding to another vacation club. I have Even Year access with Vistana so looking to complement it with odd year access. Hilton seems to be the best option since it is comparable to Vistana in quality, has a flexible points system for resale owners and allowed access into RCI. Marriot seems like a great option too but won't get me access into RCI and seems restrictive on the resale market.

I don't need to travel in platinum season so 4800 to 5000 points seem like good number.

My questions:

1. What's a good Hilton resort(s) to buy, factoring in total long term costs - Initial Purchase price, Annual MFs, Possibilities of Special Assessments. I plan to hold it for at least 25 to 30 years and may pass on to the kids.

2. How easy is it to get a week at the 9 month point outside the home resort. (keeping in mind Gold season or below travel).

3. With the exception of the NYC and Japan locations, are there any locations that are impossible to get?

4. How easy is it to unload a Hilton in the resale market?

5. Are Hiltons generally strong traders in RCI?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
#1 is tricky because sometimes you can get a VERY good deal on Bay Club (Hawaii) or an affiliate, but the MF may be higher. Vegas, generally speaking has lower MF. I own all 4 of my resales in Vegas. Not saying it's the best strategy, just putting it out there.

#2: If you're Gold season, I'd say normally fairly easy. Hawaii (Oahu, particularly) is a little more difficult to get into during high season (ie: 1 BR in January is 4800 points) and you have to book right at midnight at 9 months out, if you want an entire week. But gold season, probably no problem. Unless it's around a holiday (Easter, etc.)

#3: Washington DC (it's also a residence club just like NYC and W57th in NYC). I won't say impossible, but you can only book 44 days in advance, and you'll be lucky to get 2 or 3 nights (at least W57 I've never seen an entire week, any time of year). Breckenridge can be difficult if you want prime season. Mud season is "ok" but you still have to book at close to 9 months out.

#4: Depending on price, very easy. LOL. $1 or free you can unload any HGVC, IMO. I'd probably try to avoid an EOY as those seem to be more difficult to resell, but then again I'd never consider looking at EOY, but that's me.

#5: HGVC doesn't "trade" with RCI like you may be used to. HGVC has a corporate account with RCI. You login to HGVC website and then click a link to get into RCI and they see all your points. There's not really a "deposit a week/exchange a week" type of thing this way). Obviously most places will require that you place an OGS (On-Going Search) and when something comes up RCI will notify you and then if you accept, withdraw the points from your HGVC account (unless you deposited the points from HGVC directly into RCI to extend their life).

Personally I'd rather have II, but that's me. An Affiliate resort sometimes can offer RCI/II as well (depending on what you do). You can get RCI via the HGVC affiliation and then possibly gain II access if you use the resort/affiliate itself. But I don't know 100% for sure.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
#2: If you're Gold season, I'd say normally fairly easy. Hawaii (Oahu, particularly) is a little more difficult to get into during high season (ie: 1 BR in January is 4800 points) and you have to book right at midnight at 9 months out, if you want an entire week. But gold season, probably no problem. Unless it's around a holiday (Easter, etc.)
Actually, on Oahu since it is very popular and Gold season is not that many weeks, it is often harder to find Gold weeks because people want to save points when going to Hawaii. You can still get reservations there by booking right at the 9 month mark, but it is not necessarily easier than Platinum season.

Kurt

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
You're at least on the right path. I've owned in the HGVC system since 2014. I recently picked up an 81,000 point ODD Vistana.

So I've got a 6200 point every year HGVC, Even year Lagoon Tower Premier unit, ODD year Vistana. Perfect for my needs since I don't have young kids and we can travel whenever.

The most difficult to get at 9 months is Lagoon Tower. It's still pretty easy if you book right at 9 months. I bought Lagoon so I can use my Home week and not worry about 9 months.

Like others have said, you don't "trade" in RCI with HGVC. Your points will be taken when you reserve an RCI unit. 3400 for 1BR and 4800 for 2BR. It's a blessing and a curse. When really low TPU units pop up at the last minute you will still pay full price.

You also have access to RCI's version of Getaways but you can't see them online. RCI also has Last Call which is super cheap rentals for expiring inventory. You can see Last Call online.

zjhasan1976

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. Just to compare to Vistana where I am paying $730 annually (includes $140 II membership) for a 81,000 point EOY membership, what is the approximate MF on a Vegas or Orlando property with a 4,800 to 5,000 points EOY?

Also, is it safe to assume that on the resale market, Hilton will cost at least $1 per point to purchase and to pass ROFR?

Also, it would be nice to occasionally do Disney which is only available on RCI. Is there enough availability or is it hard to get?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
There's a list of MF's by resort, itemized, on a sticky-post at the top of this forum:
https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...ations-club-2018-maintenance-fee-list.263776/
For EOY TS's, MF's are billed EOY (use-year). Club dues ($170) are due every year.

While HGVC has EOY packages, most seem to prefer the flexibility of every-year.
Between banking + borrowing points, it's really easy to move them around as needed.

There's a list of what has passed/failed ROFR in a sticky-post at the top of this forum:
https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/rofr-exercised-passed.253426/

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
+1 Similar to @buzglyd we just purchased an EOY Vistana WKORVN OF on Maui. EOY makes sense when the maintenance fees are sky high and you aren't sure you will visit the property every year. This was our case with Vistana Westin. I can also see a case in Vistana of buying an EOY trader to mix with Hilton.

Both systems complement each others locations e.g.

Vistana: Maui, Kauai, St. John, Bahamas, Arizona, Colorado Ski plus II
HGVC: Oahu, Big Island, Vegas, California, NYC, DC, Park City Ski plus RCI

It makes more sense to buy an annual for Hilton in Vegas if you are seeking a trader because this gives you more flexibility in banking and borrowing than Vistana's system.

I would not buy Hilton to gain access to RCI/Disney. Those trades are becoming unicorns and usually only off season at SSR and 1 bedrooms. Do a search on the sticky on the Sightings forum to get an idea.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider is that both Hilton and Vistana mandatory have club fees. I believe for both EOY owners pay the club fees every year. So owning two systems eoy would mean two fees every year.

Might not be a deal breaker, but worth considering.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
One thing to consider is that both Hilton and Vistana mandatory have club fees. I believe for both EOY owners pay the club fees every year. So owning two systems eoy would mean two fees every year.

Might not be a deal breaker, but worth considering.

Yes but II and RCI membership is included in the annual fees so you would still have access to Getaways and Extra Vacations in off years. In HGVC you would also have access to Open Season in off years.

zjhasan1976

Reaction score
Thank you! One other thing. Hilton points are completely floating like Vistana, correct? They are not tied to specific weeks or season, even if the listing says Week 26, for example. That's just a formality.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Thank you! One other thing. Hilton points are completely floating like Vistana, correct? They are not tied to specific weeks or season, even if the listing says Week 26, for example. That's just a formality.

Generally but not in all cases. My Seapointe affiliate week is fixed week 35. In the past, I had to call the management company and have them release the week to HGVC in order to get my points. Now I"ve filled out a form and it happens automatically. But you are correct. Your points will show up in your account in most cases no matter what "week" you own.

zjhasan1976

Reaction score
Is there a points chart available for Hilton? I know you can visit each resort's page and scroll down but wondering if there is a actual table with this data so its easier to look at?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Is there a points chart available for Hilton? I know you can visit each resort's page and scroll down but wondering if there is a actual table with this data so its easier to look at?

As far as I am aware, its only available one each resorts page.

The "standard" points are 4800 for one bedroom and 7000 for a two bedroom in Platinum season. However many of the newer resorts are higher, some much higher. You should probably check the resorts your most interested in.

zjhasan1976

Reaction score
When I had purchased from the resale Vistana, my various closing costs were about $1000. Are the closing costs on Hilton higher? I saw in one sale posting that the closing costs on the Hilton property would be closer to $2000, on a listing with a price of $2500. That just sounds like a lot!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If dreams were horses, beggars would ride. - from an old English poem

You can extrapolate from one resort to another using the combined seasons chart at the back (tail-end) of the Club Reference document (pgs.42-43):
https://d1m2ucn09z2f8d.cloudfront.net/static/documents/9c9f4bae-5ce6-4f93-88a8-34f2675c5400/2018-HGV-Club-Rules-Reference-v4 (002).pdf

zjhasan1976

Reaction score
Thank you.

With regards to EOY ownership with Hilton, is it the case that the MFs are paid every other year and the club fees are paid every year? With Vistana, you have to pay the MFs every year even with EOY ownership. Please confirm.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Thank you.

With regards to EOY ownership with Hilton, is it the case that the MFs are paid every other year and the club fees are paid every year? With Vistana, you have to pay the MFs every year even with EOY ownership. Please confirm.

With my EVEN Lagoon Tower the whole amount is paid EOY. Club dues every year.

Vistana is half and half. My seller didn’t ask for the 2018 half to be reimbursed so my 2019 vacations are half price!

zjhasan1976

Reaction score
Ok, so that strenghthens the case for getting an annual for Hilton vs. EOY. Thanks.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Ok, so that strenghthens the case for getting an annual for Hilton vs. EOY. Thanks.

HGVC is very flexible when it comes to borrowing and saving so if you only own one week, I would get an every year. My 6200 is every year and my Lagoon is Even but I just bought Lagoon specifically to stay at Lagoon so the points don’t matter.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I have both Vistana and Hilton, and they do complement each other very well for the 4 main Haw'n islands as CalGalTraveler noted. I got Vistana first and tend to do more internal star options trades unless I see some really good exchange values in II. I probably exchange more often than I should my HGVC points (from more expensive Hawaii unit) in RCI, but got a couple of harder to get locations that I really wanted in my desired time range.

HGVC is no question, way better & easier than Vistana for borrowing from future allotments. Vistana is better on one banking rule for leftover options: 2 years banked use vs 1 for HGVC. If you're not 3* or more tho' you have to decide whether to bank in June, which is way too early IMO.

zjhasan1976

Reaction score
Thank you!

Are there any Hilton locations that do not go through the ROFR process? I thought I had read somewhere that Las Vegas Flamingo is ROFR free. Are there any others?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I had purchased from the resale Vistana, my various closing costs were about $1000. Are the closing costs on Hilton higher? I saw in one sale posting that the closing costs on the Hilton property would be closer to $2000, on a listing with a price of $2500. That just sounds like a lot!

Depends on who you go through. I went through Judi Last time and closing costs were almost double what Diane Nadeau charged (I wanna say close to $1200 not counting the extra HGVC fees).

If you go through private party who is using a certain closing company it can be like maybe $300-500 plus the HGVC fee-fees.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Also, if you have the combo you have lots of options in Mexico. Plus if you can travel off-season in Mexico, the point values are minimal.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Are there any Hilton locations that do not go through the ROFR process?
Bay Club does not have ROFR - perhaps because it's an affiliate?

Are the closing costs on Hilton higher? I saw in one sale posting that the closing costs on the Hilton property would be closer to $2000, on a listing with a price of $2500.
Again, buying an affiliate might be a partial factor.When we bought Bay Club, we had to pay about $400 to "enroll" the weeks into HGVC so we could use our points for other Hilton properties. If we had already been HGVC club members, the enrollment cost would have been 4 times higher - one enrollment fee for each week x 4 (our deed is 2 weeks even plus 2 weeks odd).