• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A single night at DVC Orlando -- which one?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

Jack and I are going to Orlando for 8 days in June -- 7 of which will be at one of the Marriotts on an II trade. We fly out on a Monday to meet up with Jonell and the girls, and I am filling a single day Sunday reservation.

Which property has the best on-site amenities/activities for a 13 year old boy? We will have been to all of the parks during the previous week, and looking for a place to set up base camp that would have lots of on-site entertainment.

The TUG reviews are all positive, and I would appreciate any additional comments. Thank you!

Best,

Greg

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
As a long time dvc member with boys of various ages....

I recommended either the Beach Club Villas (3 acre pool is a mini water water park) plus the fun of the Boardwalk area at night

Or the Animal Kingdom Resort (good pool plus the fun of the animals, lots of interesting lodge activities as well).

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well Animal Kingdom Concierge Level comes to mind. Then you and Jack can go on the Sunrise Safari which is absolutely fabulous.

The Beach Club has that incredible sandy bottom pool.

I’m leaving out the monorail resorts because you will have seen everything at the parks by then.

So those are my two choices for you and your son.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
If you’re using DVC points, you might want to see what’s available. The leftover choices may be very limited this late.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
If available, animal kingdom. So much to see and do there, lots of interesting artifacts around the resort, and Boma is an amazing buffet(and with a 13 year old boy you’ll obviously get your money’s worth!)

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience with Boma is that if your son doesn’t like to try new or different foods, it’s not a great choice. He will be limited to meatballs, Mac and cheese, pizza and chicken strips. You can get all those things in Mara for 1/2 the price

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience with Boma is that if your son doesn’t like to try new or different foods, it’s not a great choice. He will be limited to meatballs, Mac and cheese, pizza and chicken strips. You can get all those things in Mara for 1/2 the price
We’ve only done breakfast, should’ve prefaced it with that. Good info on dinner!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
The WDW waterparks would be great if you didn’t visit one the previous week.

Regardless of which WDW resort you book, DVC members can pool hop with some exceptions (see details below).

Here’s the WDW Unofficial Guide Pool rating from TouringPlans.com - https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/hotels/hotel-pool

From https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/recreation-relaxation/pools/
When staying on your Membership at any Disney Vacation Club Resort at Walt Disney World Resort or at Disney's Vero Beach Resort, you and any Guests staying with you are permitted to take advantage of complimentary alternative pool use, which provides access to:
-The pool or pools at the Disney Vacation Club Resort where you are staying
-Select pools at Disney Vacation Club Resorts
-Select pools at Walt Disney World Resort hotels

Note: Capacity limits and blockout dates apply. To find out about pool-access availability, please check with a host or hostess at the front desk of the Resort you wish to visit.

You must present your MagicBand or valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card to use the other Resort hotel pools.

Capacity Limitations
If the pool you are visiting reaches capacity, you may be asked to leave in order to accommodate Guests of that Resort hotel. Please check with a host or hostess at the front desk of the Resort you wish to visit before you go to find out about pool-access availability.

Blockout Dates
Resort hotel pools may become unavailable from time to time due to capacity limitations. Due to the high occupancy that is expected, you and your overnight guests may not pool hop during the following dates:
-Friday, May 25, 2018 through Monday, May 28, 2018
-Sunday, July 1, 2018 through Saturday, July 7, 2018
-Friday, August 31, 2018 through Monday, September 3, 2018
-Monday, November 19, 2018 through Saturday, November 24, 2018
-Friday, December 21, 2018 through Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Important Information

Pool hopping is not available at the following pools—with no exceptions to this policy:
-Bay Cove Pool at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
-Uzima Pool and Samawati Springs Pool at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
-Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht Club Resort and Disney's Beach Club Resorts
-The leisure pool at Disney's Beach Club Villas
-The Lava Pool and leisure pool at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
-The Copper Creek Springs Pool at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
-The pools at Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Other restricted dates than those listed above may be added based on projected pool capacity or maintenance needs.
Alternative pool use is subject to change or discontinuation at the sole discretion of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.
Complimentary alternative pool use (pool hopping) is not considered a Membership Extra. This benefit is offered to all Disney Vacation Club Members, regardless of how they purchased.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
We’ve only done breakfast, should’ve prefaced it with that. Good info on dinner!
I love Boma but my grandson and son in law hated it. They wanted good old American fare and eating at the kids station for all that money did not make my DSIL happy.t It was my husband's and my favorite restaurant on site. The breakfast buffet is very good but there are no characters. But at 13 the OPs son won't care about characters anyway!

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We will have been to all of the parks during the previous week, and looking for a place to set up base camp that would have lots of on-site entertainment.
A really great and unique question. The problem is that unlike many MVCI resorts none of the DVC resorts have lots of on-site entertainment. Disney assumes you are going to go to the parks...or the waterparks...or Disney Springs. That said...

Animal Kingdom Lodge has great pools and animals on-site. But while the on-site dining is exceptional it is somewhat exotic.
Beach Club Villas has the best pool and good dining...especially if you add in Boardwalk's restaurants across the lake.
The themeing at the Wilderness Lodge is awesome and it does have boat access to Ft. Wilderness which might be worth the trip for a 13 yr old. There are also things to do on Seven Seas Lagoon...but they are kind of expensive.
Lastly, you might consider Saratoga Springs if easy access to the kid-friendly activities and Marvel/Lego/Disney shops at Disney Springs sounds good to you. But again, something of a money pit.

Actually, my real suggestion would be go to the Disney parks one less day while you are at the MVCI resort and go while you are staying on-property. Walking to the Magic Kingdom from Bay Lake Tower or to EPCOT or Hollywood Studios from Beach Club or Boardwalk would really be the best use of staying at a DVC resort.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

Jack and I are going to Orlando for 8 days in June -- 7 of which will be at one of the Marriotts on an II trade. We fly out on a Monday to meet up with Jonell and the girls, and I am filling a single day Sunday reservation.

Which property has the best on-site amenities/activities for a 13 year old boy? We will have been to all of the parks during the previous week, and looking for a place to set up base camp that would have lots of on-site entertainment.

The TUG reviews are all positive, and I would appreciate any additional comments. Thank you!

Best,

Greg
I'm not sure any of the DVC resorts are that great from the stand point of hanging out just at the resort. I'm not sure which Marriott you're at but you might look at something else like the Gaylord hotel or something close to Universal. For a timeshare non DVC, you could try the Fountains or one that gets you to access to Marriott's World Center if you're not there already. I presume this is cash. If I were going to hit a Disney hotel for 1 night to hang out at the resort it'd likely be Port Orleans or Coronado Springs for us, it has been in the past. If you want to do shopping, Saratoga Springs might be best and the feature pool there is very nice. If you do decide on a DVC, renting for 1 night privately should be best. And if you do so, you could get the Dining Plan for just the 1 night which would be good from check in (as early as 5-6 AM) until MN the following night.

I wouldn't do the Monorail resorts if you're not planning to do parks either of those days. Wilderness lodge has a nice feel and some nice restaurants with a decent pool. Animal Kingdom is unique with the Animals. Beach Club and Boardwalk have good to very good pools with some unique shopping and dining options.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

Thank you for the thoughtful (and complete) responses -- TUGgers rock!!!! My 60 day window opens soon and I will see what is available. Both Beach Club Villas and Animal Kingdom look very appealing and hopefully one of them will be available. Pool hopping is another interesting idea!

Thanks again and I will post back with how the search turns out.

Best,

Greg

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

Thank you for the thoughtful (and complete) responses -- TUGgers rock!!!! My 60 day window opens soon and I will see what is available. Both Beach Club Villas and Animal Kingdom look very appealing and hopefully one of them will be available. Pool hopping is another interesting idea!

Thanks again and I will post back with how the search turns out.

Best,

Greg
Greg, are you using DVC points that are in a holding account?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Greg, are you using DVC points that are in a holding account?
Yes, I am. Thought I was going to take the family to GC but then had school conflict, so 48 points are sitting in holding and expiring at end of September. So I hope to redeploy in Orlando on June 17th! Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Best,

Greg

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am. Thought I was going to take the family to GC but then had school conflict, so 48 points are sitting in holding and expiring at end of September. So I hope to redeploy in Orlando on June 17th! Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Best,

Greg
Do you have other points you could book, cancel then rebook the holding account points?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you have other points you could book, cancel then rebook the holding account points?
I dont, my future points are tied up in an Aulani reservation next year.

What would the trick be? Does this substitute in the holding points into a desired reservation?

Thanks very much!

Greg

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont, my future points are tied up in an Aulani reservation next year.

What would the trick be? Does this substitute in the holding points into a desired reservation?

Thanks very much!

Greg
You can't just substitute but you often can release and catch.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can't just substitute but you often can release and catch.
And does this cleanse the holding points and make them unrestricted? Wow, that would be a good trick....

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And does this cleanse the holding points and make them unrestricted? Wow, that would be a good trick....
Yes it does currently assuming you use all the restricted point in holding and do so before 30 days out

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes it does currently assuming you use all the restricted point in holding and do so before 30 days out
Wow, that's a good trick -- thank you for alerting me to it!

Best,

Greg

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a good trick -- thank you for alerting me to it!

Best,

Greg
I'm not sure if you're aware but DVC does not treat changes as a cancelation and rebook as much as other companies do. You can add to a current reservation or subtract from it without penalty or risk to the reservation. In some cases you can even reduce the size of a lockoff without losing the reservation though that's more hit or miss. I'm sure you can think of ways to use this to your advantage. I personally don't feel they should allow it but as long as they do, that is the lay of the land. They do limit you to 2 wait lists per Use Year total and different view types at a single resort would be treated as multiple. They also limit transfers to one in or one out.

This raises some interesting thought on multiple master contracts of a single owner which are technically treated as separate owners. So technically you transfer from one master to another and you've used the single transfer per UY on both. Sometimes they will make an exception in this situation but it's normally where you're trying to get points together for a single night or where you need all points in a single account like for a cash type exchange which is usually a bad idea anyway. But you do get additional wait list slots in this situation.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Okay,

The property I was able to book was Boardwalk Villas. I’m also hoping Marriott Lakeshore Reserve, which has a good pool, and I will research them both to see where I end up.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Best,

Greg

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

Best,

Greg
Hi greg! My son and i will be at wdw from june 18-30. We could meet up for drinks or something. We will be at bcv until 25 and then move onto blt for the rest of the stay.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk