• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Allegiant Air and "60 Minutes"

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Old aircraft, questionable maintenance, no interline agreements, lower quality pilots (on average)... There are so many reasons to not fly a low cost carrier like Allegiant IMO. Maybe if I lived near a small airport where they were the only game in town I might consider it?

I'm not super eager to hop on a 30 year old MD-80 with a 1500 hour first officer at the yoke.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I won’t fly any low cost carrier. They have to shave costs somehow.

You are implying that "low cost" carriers shave costs by failing to maintain their aircraft correctly. This is not really true, though there are some glaring examples of this. Most of the reduced cost is in reduced overhead. The legacy carriers have legacy costs which the newer airlines do not need to pay (these are mostly old defined benefit retirement and medical programs). The low cost carriers also shave cost by not paying their employees as well as the legacy airlines.

The other way they make money is kind of a shell game with customers by charging fees for everything, then stair stepping fees based on when the customer decides to pay (ie, Spirit bag fee when the ticket is booked is lower than at the gate). There are other games the low cost airlines play, like eliminating reclining seats and then squishing them closer together so they can fit another row of seating onto a plane. At this point, most of the majors have caught on and are playing their own games, such as United squishing the seats together, but then selling an "upgrade" to what was at one time standard coach seating.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Old aircraft, questionable maintenance, no interline agreements, lower quality pilots (on average)... There are so many reasons to not fly a low cost carrier like Allegiant IMO. Maybe if I lived near a small airport where they were the only game in town I might consider it?

I'm not super eager to hop on a 30 year old MD-80 with a 1500 hour first officer at the yoke.

You could fly your own plane or drive, but statistically speaking, you are safer in that 30 year old MD-80 with a 1500 hour pilot at the controls.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I understand wanting to bash Allegiant. After all they were the target of the 60 Minutes "investigation" and segment. And, I will qualify my comments by saying I have never flown with Allegiant. But, some of what I saw and subsequently read said says maintenance is performed by a maintenance contractor. They're the ones who failed to correct some of the issues discovered or failed to complete a repair. To me that says not all the blame lies with Allegiant. Yes, Allegiant should have some oversight on the repairs and maintenance. But the maintenance contractor has some culpability here too. This is something that hasn't been brought up in this thread and seems to have been minimized by 60 Minutes.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Wow! We were thinking of flying them from Vegas to South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore. I knew they are a budget airline, but didn’t realize the extent of their safety issues. We will have to explore other alternatives.

Best regards.

Mike

My understanding ( from a few years ago ) is that Allegiant's model is buying older used planes . That type of fleet would likely require more maintenence ......

Spirit for instance is in the process of growing by adding new planes *. (Airbus - 118 in service & 53 on order )

*Wikipedia

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My understanding ( from a few years ago ) is that Allegiant's model is buying older used planes . That type of fleet would likely require more maintenence ......

Spirit for instance is in the process of growing by adding new planes *. (Airbus - 118 in service & 53 on order )

*Wikipedia
Frontier is also growing by adding new aircraft.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I understand wanting to bash Allegiant. After all they were the target of the 60 Minutes "investigation" and segment. And, I will qualify my comments by saying I have never flown with Allegiant. But, some of what I saw and subsequently read said says maintenance is performed by a maintenance contractor. They're the ones who failed to correct some of the issues discovered or failed to complete a repair. To me that says not all the blame lies with Allegiant. Yes, Allegiant should have some oversight on the repairs and maintenance. But the maintenance contractor has some culpability here too. This is something that hasn't been brought up in this thread and seems to have been minimized by 60 Minutes.
Yes, but who hired that company to do the maintenance? If they screw up that often, why do they keep on using them? Allegiant should have more than "some oversight", IMO.

Kurt

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Yes, but who hired that company to do the maintenance? If they screw up that often, why do they keep on using them? Allegiant should have more than "some oversight", IMO.

Kurt

I absolutely agree. Allegiant failed. The maintenance contractor failed. The FAA inspectors failed. My point was simply don't just lay blame at Allegiant's feet. There's plenty to go around.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Surprise, Surprise....

Most airlines use contractors for some or all of their maintenance.

Doesn't matter if it's an in-house job, contractor or foreign contractor (yes, many are, don't look shocked), the airline maintains responsibility for oversight and inspection of all work done in accordance with their operating instructions.

So, the blame falls on the airline..... Not just Allegiant, but any airline. Happens once? Hm. Contractor issue. Happens multiple times? Well, you know....

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My friend was on the Allegiant flight from FL to MD that the pilot aborted, and was fired. It was extremely scary for her, and they exited down a chute.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was planning travel from ABE to SFB in October...After this report, I feel safer...Allegiant should get the hint. HOPEFULLY!!

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You could fly your own plane or drive, but statistically speaking, you are safer in that 30 year old MD-80 with a 1500 hour pilot at the controls.

I absolutely agree with what you’re saying, however I’d rather pay more for a flight on a different airline was more my point.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What about ValueJet? Wasnt that the early incarnation?

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Dang i cannot seem to edit myself!

Last edited: