• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPG Marriott Unification

zerodegre

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana
Dioxide45: I assume you confirmed this with oner services... Good to know.. thanks

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Right but after August there will never be SPG points again... How do you know what star options will convert to is my question.. I understand that our current SPG points will go to 3 marriott in August.. but the session does not discuss ownership in Vistana. After august there will never ever be an SPG again created only Marriott points..
Just to clarify, you don't convert StarOptions to SPG points, you convert your ownership week in to SPG points. Don't even mention StarOptions (unless they are Home Options in one of the Flex Programs) because they are not applicable when discussing with regard to SPG.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Dioxide45: I assume you confirmed this with oner services... Good to know.. thanks
No, I didn't. I mentioned it to remove the confusion between StarOptions and SPG Points.

zerodegre

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana
Actually you can convert some or all or your Star options to SPG in Flex you do not have to do the entire week

zerodegre

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana
I can convert some of my 81,000 Star Options or all of my 81,000 in FLEX at a .52 return to SPG points now

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can convert some of my 81,000 Star Options or all of my 81,000 in FLEX at a .52 return to SPG points now
See my updated post above. From my assessment there will be major point devaluation, so you may not even want to convert to hotel points. Plus, it appears that there will not be anymore travel packages.

zerodegre

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana
Where did you get the information on no Travel Package? I have heard the opposite but they will revamp it in August

If they devalue the conversion to hotel points Vistana owners will and should be very upset

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So do you own StarOptions or Home Options or both? Do you own a deeded week? If you own a deeded week and it is a lock off, I think you can convert one side (or the whole) of the lock off to SPG points. However, outside of that, you can't convert StarOptions to SPG points, you are converting your deeded week.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where did you get the information on no Travel Package? I have heard the opposite but they will revamp it in August

If they devalue the conversion to hotel points Vistana owners will and should be very upset
The emphasis was 3:1 conversion from points to hotel airline miles. Every 60000 points get a bonus 15000 miles, which is the same as the current SPG program. There was ZERO mention of travel packages in both the live event as well as on the website.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The letters I just received from SPG and Marriott state that Starpoints will be multiplied by three to convert to points in the new Marriott Loyalty Program that will get a new name in 2019.

The letter from Starwood has my name and SPG number and tells me:

Now my account lists me as lifetime Gold, but I also get Platinum benefits for being 5* Elite. We’ll still have to see what happens with that. I don’t think I’m listed as Lifetime Platinum on the SPG side, because I would lose the status if I were to lose my 5*status on the Vistana side.

We’ll earn 10 points per US Dollar spent at Marriott properties.

The main downside I see is for the credit card. It earns just 2 points per dollar spent, instapead of multiplying by 3 the current point/$ rate.

A summary of changes for SPG members is listed at:
https://members.marriott.com/spg/

Changes for Marriott Rewards members are at:
https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/

zerodegre

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana
There is no deed per say in FLEX.. it is a trust.. you just own options and pay mait based on how many options you have.. no such thing as Home options... ALL options are options in the system In flex you do get a 12 month priority window in the 6 Flex Sheraton properties.

Incorrect In Flex you can convert any # of options to SPG that you wish..and use the remainder in II or on the vistana network.. hence the name FLEX haha

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Zerodegre - yes it is very simple. Your old exchange will be multiplied by 3. You get that many points to use in the new combined program. With flex you are correct in you can do some, all or none. Use the Ownership how you want in network and bank or convert the balances and it will be at 3x what you are used to

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
The emphasis was 3:1 conversion from points to hotel airline miles. Every 60000 points get a bonus 15000 miles, which is the same as the current SPG program. There was ZERO mention of travel packages in both the live event as well as on the website.

They stated - or the Points guy explained that the packages will remain. Crossover with a delta is the biggest wildcard. The rest will remain

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score

The devaluation she is discussing is not correct. They have a new table of redemption. If you read the points guy many of these actually favor SPG points and future point conversions. She isn’t factoring the 3-1. To compare to current spg redemtion tiers divide by 3 and you will be pleased in most cases

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
No. Nothing to do with Star Options. SPG points convert to 3 in the new points system. Marriott points go straight across as 1:1. It was covered in the session. When you opt for starpoints conversion from your Vistana time, you get your 1 SPG point to become 3 points in the new system.

There is no more "Marriott" points. They have not named the new program yet. Right now the new program is simply called "points".

The part that all of us should be very concerned is that it appears that there will be major devaluation of the points system again. See below.

I have been converting all my timeshare every other year into Starpoints and MRPs. Unless Vistana and MVC both increase the points conversion, I will never convert my timeshare into hotel points ever again.

Free Night Award Chart

Category Standard Effective August / Off-Peak Coming 2019 / Peak Coming 2019
1 7,500 5,000 10,000
2 12,500 10,000 15,000
3 17,500 15,000 20,000
4 25,000 20,000 30,000
5 35,000 30,000 40,000
6 50,000 40,000 60,000
7 60,000 50,000 70,000
8 Coming 2019 85,000 70,000 100,000

You aren’t interpreting this correctly. If you divide these numbers by 3 to compare the SPG tiers most are the same and more often less

Of course they have to tier all the hotels again and we get that in June. But to say there is a massive devaluation is massively incorrect and dramatic. The sky isn’t falling and if you compare to current SPG l, as the points guy does on his report; you would be surprised. There are so many positives. This could have been a major change but if you look closely i would guess that 95% of people come out the same or better.
Are there a few things that may impact...yes. But Marriott Has treated owners very fair IMO

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
See my updated post above. From my assessment there will be major point devaluation, so you may not even want to convert to hotel points. Plus, it appears that there will not be anymore travel packages.

I am sorry but you are incorrect. Please read all of the points guys articles before stating things that aren’t true.

zerodegre

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana
Good to hear that you confirmed the 3:1 on future conversions .. now my next concern is what happens to my 7 day marriott travel certificates if i do not book by august.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now my account lists me as lifetime Gold, but I also get Platinum benefits for being 5* Elite. We’ll still have to see what happens with that. I don’t think I’m listed as Lifetime Platinum on the SPG side, because I would lose the status if I were to lose my 5*status on the Vistana side.

VSE's benefit is not Platinum for Life, or Lifetime Platinum. It's Platinum (at the lowest version of Platinum) each year as long as you maintain the requirements for being 5 * Elite.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, YYJMSP. Hopefully this will result in Marriott Platinum benefits after this conversion.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I agree, YYJMSP. Hopefully this will result in Marriott Platinum benefits after this conversion.

I would assume so. Otherwise what aspirational goal will Vistana have to sell to all the non-Elites? ;)

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting!

Overall, I think the new combined system works for me. I don't see a huge upside or a huge downside. I no longer have a lot of SPG points, about 120k and I have not been using the hotel side much the past few years.

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
a follow up question. With Vistana / SO ownership, we get SPG gold status. The SPG/Marriott merger got us matching status with Marriott Rewards...so Marriott Gold status. With the new combined program, it says SPG gold converts to new Gold Elite status starting in August. But Gold Elite Marriott Rewards converts to Platinum Elite status effective August. At launch of the new program in August, are we getting Gold Elite or Platinum Elite status? And going forward at renewal periods, looks like we get downgraded to Gold Elite if we don't meet the nights/spending requirements?

Here is link to the Marriott page: https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/
and link to the SPG announcement page: https://members.marriott.com/spg/

Looks like you get Platinum Elite until end of the year then you drop to Gold Elite.

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
Looks like you get Platinum Elite until end of the year then you drop to Gold Elite.
Go to One Mile At A Time (OMAT) to see a comprehensive explanation.

No more free night after 4 nights. No more Lounge access for Gold. That hurts

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to One Mile At A Time (OMAT) to see a comprehensive explanation.

No more free night after 4 nights. No more Lounge access for Gold. That hurts

Where do you see that you don't get a free night after 4 nights?

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea...-points-redemption-opportunities-coming-soon/

This article says DIRECTLY THE OPPOSITE....

he HUGE opportunity Marriott’s interim award pricing presents
That means for awards booked between August and December, the most expensive redemption will be 60,000 Marriott Rewards points per night, which is the equivalent of 20,000 Starpoints per night in today’s currency. You also get a fifth night free on redemptions, so that brings down the average cost for a five night stay to 16,000 Starpoints per night (in today’s currency).

Currently Starwood’s top hotels cost 35,000 Starpoints per night, so that’s the same as getting over 40% off!

Previously in peak season a redemption at the St. Regis Aspen or St. Regis Deer Valley cost 140,000 Starpoints for five nights (with the fifth night free). Starting in August that redemption would cost just 240,000 Marriott Rewards points, which is the equivalent of 80,000 Starpoints.

That’s a huge discount. If you want to redeem for one of the top Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, or Starwood properties in the world, then between August and December of this year is the time to book.

We don’t know exactly when Marriott’s new “peak” and “off-peak” pricing will kick in, or when Category 8 properties will be introduced, but it will presumably me somewhere towards the beginning of 2019.

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
Where do you see that you don't get a free night after 4 nights?

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea...-points-redemption-opportunities-coming-soon/

This article says DIRECTLY THE OPPOSITE....

he HUGE opportunity Marriott’s interim award pricing presents
That means for awards booked between August and December, the most expensive redemption will be 60,000 Marriott Rewards points per night, which is the equivalent of 20,000 Starpoints per night in today’s currency. You also get a fifth night free on redemptions, so that brings down the average cost for a five night stay to 16,000 Starpoints per night (in today’s currency).

Currently Starwood’s top hotels cost 35,000 Starpoints per night, so that’s the same as getting over 40% off!

Previously in peak season a redemption at the St. Regis Aspen or St. Regis Deer Valley cost 140,000 Starpoints for five nights (with the fifth night free). Starting in August that redemption would cost just 240,000 Marriott Rewards points, which is the equivalent of 80,000 Starpoints.

That’s a huge discount. If you want to redeem for one of the top Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, or Starwood properties in the world, then between August and December of this year is the time to book.

We don’t know exactly when Marriott’s new “peak” and “off-peak” pricing will kick in, or when Category 8 properties will be introduced, but it will presumably me somewhere towards the beginning of 2019.

You are correct. Sorry, I misread.