• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Transferring points from one member to another

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thought just came to mind. If some one is up for it we could transfer points between our accounts?

ie. Someone transfer 1.000 points to my account. I'll then transfer 1.000 points back.

if so I think two 3-way calls would have to be done.

Just a thought.

I have 20 left over points for 2018 you can have for the test. Just gonna let them expire so I don’t even want them back if you have a use for them.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 20 left over points for 2018 you can have for the test. Just gonna let them expire so I don’t even want them back if you have a use for them.
Sounds great. Could you pm me your calling details and when you have time for a 3way call.

Appreciate it.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
So I have talked to member services and we can indeed do point transfers. Club counselor said “sure” as it was the most normal thing. We had a talk about the transfer and it’s a final transaction and can’t be reverted. There are no limitations to number of transfers and they are fee free(wonder for how long now that the secret is out)

Only requirement was that a 3way call was done with both members on the phone.

The member transferring the points would have to inform the counselor about how many point from which year had to be transferred.

The actual point transfer has not been done yet as this call was purely for information for my peace of mind.

Now people are thinking the obvious, “can’t one member then sell his points to another member” short answer “YES”

Once the transfer is complete I’ll update you guys.

That brings to mind the issue of HOW MUCH ARE POINTS WORTH? That has been discussed briefly in another tread on this site "Hotel Harvest in Japan" where another member mentioned 4200 points being valued at $630 using the average maintenance fee cost method; and I mentioned that they would be valued by me as a few thousand dollars using the cost of a hotel room for a couple of weeks since 4200 points is about 2 weeks in a studio in the HGVC system. I would certainly buy the 4200 points at the $630 price. I wouldn't sell my points for that amount.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Yeah, I would want to make a decent profit if I were to sell any points. Since mine cost me about $0.16/point, I would be looking for at least $0.25/point since there are many properties/weeks where the MF is more than that. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth the hassle, IMO.

Kurt

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Yeah, I would want to make a decent profit if I were to sell any points. Since mine cost me about $0.16/point, I would be looking for at least $0.25/point since there are many properties/weeks where the MF is more than that. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth the hassle, IMO.

Kurt
OK, now you bring up another perspective, how much would be enough for you to be interested in selling your points. The $.25/point price would make 4200 points cost $1050. While that is considerable above the $630 value is considerable above what was stated on the other site it is much lower than the couple of thousand dollar price that I value them at. Perhaps you price is a good middle of the road. However, there are other ways to look at ithis. If you are going to lose your points since you have no vacation plans and don't want to or can't save them any more getting $630 is great! However, if you use your points for great vacations every year and value each and every point even $2000 may not be enough for the 4200 points. I am in the latter category since I would value the 4200 points to me at about $4000 or priceless since I use them for vacations each year that most people would consider vacations of a lifetime.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
That brings to mind the issue of HOW MUCH ARE POINTS WORTH? That has been discussed briefly in another tread on this site "Hotel Harvest in Japan" where another member mentioned 4200 points being valued at $630 using the average maintenance fee cost method; and I mentioned that they would be valued by me as a few thousand dollars using the cost of a hotel room for a couple of weeks since 4200 points is about 2 weeks in a studio in the HGVC system. I would certainly buy the 4200 points at the $630 price. I wouldn't sell my points for that amount.

Depends.
Some folks value their points strictly based on their MF which is going to vary quite a bit depending on where/when you bought (in terms of size, etc.).

Others will fold in their initial purchase price (probably amortized) over 10, 15, 20 years, so that's another factor.

Still others will value it based upon the market. For example, 4,800 points for an "off season" in Orlando will be "worth" far less than 4800 points at HHV Lagoon Tower in January.

And I see others will value it on an "average" vacation (ie, if I were to not own and I had to pay cash to stay at HHV it'll cost me, $X/night so that's how much my points are worth).

Unfortunately there's no correct or same answer.

I might be willing to "sell" points for $0.20, others might want more. (I'm just using this as a hypothetical here).
I'd say the very least, some portion above the price/point (calculated by MF) is the "basement floor" for things.

But like all things in the free market, it's a supply and demand. How much are you willing to pay for something, etc.

Juxtapose

Reaction score
As you said, is where supply and demand comes in, or simple market forces... with enough trading (volume) you find the middle ground. That is, people fall into one of two categories on a spectrum...
A) People willing, motivated and able to sell 4200 points for $X
B) People unwilling, uninterested, or unable to sell 4200 points for $X

$X represents a moving value where about half are above (in A) and half are below (in B). Supply and demand shifts that line up and down... but it'll sit somewhere between $630 and a few thousand most of the time depending on how heavy either side of the fence is at the moment.

If only a market existed for this kind of thing... we'd be able to see very quickly how much points are worth at any given time of the year based on that moving $X value

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I can't see HGVC letting this go on w/o imposing a fee at some point.
It is, after all, a form of point-stretching.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I can't see HGVC letting this go on w/o imposing a fee at some point.
It is, after all, a form of point-stretching.

I agree. Not to mention that renting your points is really an end-run around the rule on only renting your home week.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
But like all things in the free market, it's a supply and demand. How much are you willing to pay for something, etc.

I agree, its all supply and demand.

Should I buy points they would be worth what I pay in MF + a smaller premium. I know I might pay less in MF than most others but that just how it is. IMHO is better to get some of the MF recovered than loosing your points if you can't use them. I dont see my self paying anywhere close to 0.25$ per point well maybe if I rented NYC points.

In my book 7.000 points is worth around $8-900. If the points had kept home resort booking priority then they could have been worth some more.

You could ofc just book a vacation and then rent that, honestly I dont know how easy that is - maybe if you had a very high demand week it would be doable. But if you booked 7 days in Orlando I dont see it renting. Dont get me wrong Orlando is great but its also packed with timeshares. Maybe a vacation at Hawaii is rentable but I dont know.

I've tried renting my 2br in Vilamoura for slightly more than my MF but there was no takers.

So again your points are only worth what people are willing to pay for them.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree, its all supply and demand.

Should I buy points they would be worth what I pay in MF + a smaller premium. I know I might pay less in MF than most others but that just how it is. IMHO is better to get some of the MF recovered than loosing your points if you can't use them. I dont see my self paying anywhere close to 0.25$ per point well maybe if I rented NYC points.

In my book 7.000 points is worth around $8-900. If the points had kept home resort booking priority then they could have been worth some more.

You could ofc just book a vacation and then rent that, honestly I dont know how easy that is - maybe if you had a very high demand week it would be doable. But if you booked 7 days in Orlando I dont see it renting. Dont get me wrong Orlando is great but its also packed with timeshares. Maybe a vacation at Hawaii is rentable but I dont know.

I've tried renting my 2br in Vilamoura for slightly more than my MF but there was no takers.

So again your points are only worth what people are willing to pay for them.

If one were to sell points I totally agree with the final statement in your post "... points are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. Another factor that effects points value is the year of the points and if they are saved points from a prior year and can't be saved again or used for say 2019. I have no further vacation book plans for 2018 so if points can't be used in 2019 or beyond they would be of no use to me.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
7000 points will get you a 2BR for a week during Platinum season at many resorts. I would think that is worth more than $8-900 to most people -- maybe not in Orlando, but certainly at many of the other resorts. But if you could get someone to sell you points for that price, more power to you!

If all I could get is $8-900 for 7000 points and I couldn't use them for a HGVC reservation, I would seriously consider converting them to Honors points. I could get more value out of them that way vs. selling them.

Kurt

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
So...did the experiment happen? Were you able to transfer? Sometimes I'm 50 or 100 points short to be able to do what I want. This would be a nice option.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update.

We did have the 3-way call today and....... it was a success :banana:

It took a few minutes and I received the points in my account. However it seems to be luck of the draw as I had to call twice, the first club counselor said it wasn’t possible so I hung up and called back - I would take no for an answer :D

The second counselor said sure, I asked if he could start the 3-way call, he couldn’t. So I initiated the 3way call with Arimaas and hgvc.

Any thoughts?

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, how does HGVC validate who is on the phone? If you're initiating the call, are you exposing your personal information to HGVC on the 3-way call? Because if so, you'd have to be able to trust the other party with your personal info.
Thanks.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, how does HGVC validate who is on the phone? If you're initiating the call, are you exposing your personal information to HGVC on the 3-way call? Because if so, you'd have to be able to trust the other party with your personal info.
Thanks.

Yes once the 3rd part is on the call he/she will need to give the member number to hgvc and then verify the account. So I agree it takes trust.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes once the 3rd part is on the call he/she will need to give the member number to hgvc and then verify the account. So I agree it takes trust.

Didn’t even think of that. Lol. Now you know my favorite color. Lol

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
You set up 5 various security questions and answer them. To verify your identity HGVC asks you one of the questions and verifies your answer.

I think they must be ordered but I usually get the first one on my list nearly all the time.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks.

I agree, I wouldn't want to give my personal information to another party. Furthermore, why does the person who is receiving the points have to be involved in the call at all. If a person wants to deposit points into my account they can do so anytime they want. I can always use more points. Of course, the person who is depositing needs to know my account number. I get Hawaiian Airline points from others in my family with their just knowing my account number.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Well....I think the concept is not that you are sharing points with a stranger but doing something for a friend. As such the trust shouldn't be an issue. I doubt that ability was set up for people to sell their points.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I am sure you can also change your security questions after the call.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
If my sister's HGVC gifting purchase goes through, this would be a nice feature to have if either one of us needs to borrow some points, or use my SFX account.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well....I think the concept is not that you are sharing points with a stranger but doing something for a friend. As such the trust shouldn't be an issue. I doubt that ability was set up for people to sell their points.

I agree to this, and if you feel it’s a risk you have two options either don’t do it or change your security questions before or after the call. If you do it before you can afterwards revert back to your original answers. That’s what I would
Do.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually wouldn’t be too too concerned. It’s not like the points are going to some random person without an identity. Even if someone were to go in a steal my points, HGVC knows exactly who’s account they are going into. They have that persons information, including home address and probably the ability to back the points right out. Most of us seem to be pretty well intrenched in our HGVC accounts. I think we would notice anything fishy to the accounts pretty quickly. That being said, I’m not looking to sell points to a random person off of eBay or anything, but I’m not too worried about sending off some extra points to someone. In 2019 it’s going to look like I will have 200 extra points. Rather give them away to a fellow a TUGer that can use them instead of letting them expire (not worth the cost to turn them into HHonors points IMHO).