• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New 2018 Marriott/SPG credit cards - Deadlines AMEX 8/25/18 and VISA 12/31/18

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is coming out the first week or 2 of May. Sign up bonus is 100,000 points. Problem is, if you have the Marriott Rewards credit card already you have to cancel that one, and then wait 60 days to apply for the new one to get the sign up bonus. It will be called the Marriott Rewards Plus card, $95 fee, 1 free night a year, 6 points on a dollar for Marriott spend, 2 points on everything else. According to the rep I spoke with you cannot have both cards, which sounded strange to me. Anybody else know anything else about all this? Please let me know.

[Thread title edited.]

Last edited by a moderator:

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
The new Chase card that I read about is actually called the Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card.

Can you please post where you got the information that canceling the old Marriott personal credit card and then waiting 60 days to apply for the new Marriott Chase credit card will make you eligible for the 100K bonus.

I did read on web travel point blogs that existing customers with the Chase Marriott credit card will NOT be eligible for the sign up bonus on the new Chase Marriott card, but there will be targeted upgrade incentives of between 10K to 50K points to switch to the new card.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
The new Chase card that I read about is actually called the Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card.

Can you please post where you got the information that canceling the old Marriott personal credit card and then waiting 60 days to apply for the new Marriott Chase credit card will make you eligible for the 100K bonus.

I did read on web travel point blogs that existing customers with the Chase Marriott credit card will NOT be eligible for the sign up bonus on the new Chase Marriott card, but there will be targeted upgrade incentives of between 10K to 50K points to switch to the new card.

I called chase bank and the rep. there said they were given this info yesterday. Since they were adding the Plus I did mention that since it had a "new name" couldn't I just keep both, and still get the 100,000 point sign up bonus, and told not on this card. I would have kept both, because we never have trouble using our free night. I have always been able to redeem them when rates would have been $200 and up. I did ask the rep. to ask the powers that be to rethink this before the card actually comes out, but I doubt they will.

Last edited:

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
I think that the banks are getting tired of handing out tons of points.... And then a year later, people cancel many of those reward cards. That can't be profitable for the banks.

I confess that I'm not any better. I got interested when the OP mentioned that you might be able to cancel your existing Chase Marriott card, then wait 60 days to sign up for a new Chase Marriott card and collect a big sign-up bonus.

Chase had a major success with the Sapphire Reserve card. Yes, they handout out a lot of points initially. But these have tended to be more profitable customers with excellent credit scores, and many are retaining the card beyond the first year.

Barclays came out with a new version of the Arrival card recently. Notice that there is ZERO sign up bonus. The bonus is for keeping the card and hitting certain levels of spending on it. Barclays is trying to create an incentive to use the card rather than have people game the system by getting a bonus for meeting a minimum spending requirement and then putting the card away.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that the banks are getting tired of handing out tons of points.... And then a year later, people cancel many of those reward cards. That can't be profitable for the banks.

I confess that I'm not any better. I got interested when the OP mentioned that you might be able to cancel your existing Chase Marriott card, then wait 60 days to sign up for a new Chase Marriott card and collect a big sign-up bonus.

Chase had a major success with the Sapphire Reserve card. Yes, they handout out a lot of points initially. But these have tended to be more profitable customers with excellent credit scores, and many are retaining the card beyond the first year. I do have to admit I did ask the rep to issue a complaint from me that I feel you should be able to have both if you want to. After all, it does have a slightly different name .

Barclays came out with a new version of the Arrival card recently. Notice that there is ZERO sign up bonus. The bonus is for keeping the card and hitting certain levels of spending on it. Barclays is trying to create an incentive to use the card rather than have people game the system by getting a bonus for meeting a minimum spending requirement and then putting the card away.

I have had my Marriott Rewards card since 2012, and actually want to keep this one AND have the new one. As I said in my post we never have a problem using our free night on a night when the weeknight rate is $200 to $275 per night. The rep. told me it's not possible to have both. I am actually hoping that they change that when the card does come out the first week or two in May. As for now I am waiting to see if that happens . I really don't want to wait 60 days before applying for the new one, but for 100,000 I will just have to wait and then cancel the one I have and apply for the new one

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do have to admit I did ask the rep to issue a complaint asking them to rethink that you can have both cards if you want them. I mentioned that after all it does have a slightly different name.
American Express came out with 3 Hilton credit cards and there is no problem with getting all 3.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

This may be based on the common credit card issuer requirement that it be at least 24 months since you last earned a bonus to be eligible for another one. The 60 days is just a 'cooling off' period before re-applying. As long as you have held the current Marriott card at least 2 years (and there is no prohibitive language in the new Marriott card that excludes previous Marriott card holders from getting a 2nd bonus) you should be okay.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I don't find it either surprising or unreasonable to say that you cannot have both of the personal Marriott Visa cards, especially since they will apparently be making it easy to upgrade from the current card to the new one.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also this card will be under the Chase 5/24 rule so I am out of luck on this one anyway :(

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
I have had my Marriott Rewards card since 2012, and actually want to keep this one AND have the new one. As I said in my post we never have a problem using our free night on a night when the weeknight rate is $200 to $275 per night. The rep. told me it's not possible to have both. I am actually hoping that they change that when the card does come out the first week or two in May. As for now I am waiting to see if that happens . I really don't want to wait 60 days before applying for the new one, but for 100,000 I will just have to wait and then cancel the one I have and apply for the new one

If you have a personal Marriott Premier card now, what about the current Marriott Business card? Are you eligible to apply for a business credit card? The business card will also provide you with an annual e-certificate (after the first year, if I remember).

I have both the personal and the business, and my wife also has both. So we get 4 e-certs each year. We always do use them, and we get more than $95 of value from each, but it has gotten more difficult due to hotel category inflation.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can a spouse apply for this Marriott Premier card? DH currently has the Marriott Rewards card.
Yes! Better yet, have DH go to Chase Refer a Friend (log in then search for it). DH will earn 20,000 points, you will earn 100,000 points. It is subject to the Chase 5/24 rule. And, new cards are coming. Cheers.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Chase bank again this morning and got a different rep. According to this rep and I can most definitely have both cards and get the 100,000 point sign up bonus for the new one. New card will be out May 3rd. :thumbup:. I also have the IHG card with Chase and have had it for years. I applied a week ago for both of the new IHG cards and was approved for both and will get both sign up bonus's, so I couldn't understand yesterday's rep. info. I also have all 3 Hilton Amex credit cards. Funny thing about credit card companies. Amex says you can only have 5 amex cards at a time. I have 9, and will be applying for the new Starwood card August 1st when it comes out. I have points galore:)

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a personal Marriott Premier card now, what about the current Marriott Business card? Are you eligible to apply for a business credit card? The business card will also provide you with an annual e-certificate (after the first year, if I remember).

I have both the personal and the business, and my wife also has both. So we get 4 e-certs each year. We always do use them, and we get more than $95 of value from each, but it has gotten more difficult due to hotel category inflation.

I wish I could apply for business cards, but I have no business. I appreciate the info. though, I am always getting offers from amex to apply for business cards and I call them and ask them to stop torturing me with those lucrative business sign up bonuses ;)

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can a spouse apply for this Marriott Premier card? DH currently has the Marriott Rewards card.
They may count any authorized user on a card as part of their 5/24 count but usually you can get them to issue the card if this is the only reason for denial. Some cards don't use the 5/24 rule but if you get one of those cards they will count toward your 5/24 number of cards.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish I could apply for business cards, but I have no business. I appreciate the info. though, I am always getting offers from maex to apply for business cards and I call them and ask them to stop torturing me with those lucrative business sign up bonuses ;)
You’ve never sold anything on eBay or rented a timeshare? You have a business I’d imagine. Put in your accurate sales( whatever you’ve sold on eBay or timeshare rentals or whatever.) and you’d be surprised at what you’ll get approved for since they’re only pulling your personal credit anyways.

Reactions: mav

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I have never sold anything on Ebay, and have not rented one of my timeshares for years. But of course I could rent one of my weeks in England next year or in 2020 instead of banking it. I never thought of that . Thank you for the info :)

Last edited:

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
One difference between the old and new Chase cards is the elite nights awarded for each $3000 spent. The old card (for now) includes this benefit, but the new card does not. The terms of service on the old card indicates that this benefit may be withdrawn, but for not it is included. If you are chasing status, this may be one reason NOT to change. Several reviews of the new program indicate that you cannot have both cards, but what's posted here may be true....time will tell.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
One difference between the old and new Chase cards is the elite nights awarded for each $3000 spent. The old card (for now) includes this benefit, but the new card does not. The terms of service on the old card indicates that this benefit may be withdrawn, but for not it is included. If you are chasing status, this may be one reason NOT to change. Several reviews of the new program indicate that you cannot have both cards, but what's posted here may be true....time will tell.
That's a bummer- that's how we get to Platinum. But double points is a big perk.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
This credit card stuff is getting pretty complicated. Dan's Deals has a detailed summary here:

https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tr...ed-heres-need-know-9-starwood-marriott-cards/

I hope all of his info is correct. In particular, for those who make use of the annual free night certificates, notice that he says that the certificate on the legacy (current) Marriott personal card and business card will be up to category 4. However, the annual certificate on the legacy (current) AmEx SPG cards will be up to category 5. The annual certificate on the new Chase Marriott Premier Plus card will be up to category 5. The annual certificate on the new SPG Luxury card (that's the one with the $450 annual fee) will be up to category 6. That's quite a confusing hodgepodge, and we really won't know how valuable each of these certificates will be until we learn which hotels fall into which categories.

Queen

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the loss of the Chase Marriott card for Canadians, does anyone know if Canadians can get this new card.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just upgraded to Chase Premier Plus today. For $10/yr the extra point/$1 spend at Marriott and the free night up to 35,000 instead of 25,000 seemed an obvious though not thrilling improvement. And the small signing bonus didn't hurt.

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just upgraded to Chase Premier Plus today. For $10/yr the extra point/$1 spend at Marriott and the free night up to 35,000 instead of 25,000 seemed an obvious though not thrilling improvement. And the small signing bonus didn't hurt.

Well for 35K points a year might be worth it. We got rid of one of the cards couple of years ago because in California is so hard to use the free night.
My husband and I have the Chase Saphire card. I just love the flexibility for airline tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)

What was the signing bonus

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score