• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HHI - very aggressive appointment makers

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
First time trading into HHI.
I have never had so many calls before, day of and after.
Each time I responded that my wife was there with girlfriends and we had no interest in going.
And still the calls.
She also reported that the folks onsite were pretty useless for information other than trying to get her to go to an appointment or buy "return package".

Is that normal or did we just get lucky

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We're in HHI now on a Destination Points stay and our experience is just the opposite. No solicitation calls prior to check-in (first time that has happened) and only one call to the room inviting us to concierge desk. We checked in on Friday.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
MVC has a nice new sales center that sits across the street from Grand Ocean. It is full of salespeople who are eager to offer you hot coffee, snacks, and 90-minute infomercial on Destination Club.

We never answer the in-room telephone.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
We were there last month. Only got the usual call in advance offering to help and inviting us to update. Told him no and that was it. No calls once we got there. Think we are flagged that we're not interested. Hope so.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were in Hilton Head during Spring Break and got the call beforehand for the presentation. I caved when they offered 350-vacation points. It was pleasant and for the first time in recent memory, they stuck close to 90-minutes. The only thing that came out of it was the possible deal between Marriott Vacations and ILG. The sales person indicated it was almost a done deal. Judging by another thread on this board, he may have been closer to telling the truth than I first gave him credit for. ;)

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We were in Hilton Head during Spring Break and got the call beforehand for the presentation. I caved when they offered 350-vacation points. It was pleasant and for the first time in recent memory, they stuck close to 90-minutes. The only thing that came out of it was the possible deal between Marriott Vacations and ILG. The sales person indicated it was almost a done deal. Judging by another thread on this board, he may have been closer to telling the truth than I first gave him credit for. ;)
Did he discuss what this may mean in terms of benefits, which is usually where they steer the discussion

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did he discuss what this may mean in terms of benefits, which is usually where they steer the discussion

He flashed up an article on the computer monitor from "The Street" and I sat up because I didn't know the deal was really happening. So he got my attention. He hinted that we would become one big happy family. I went straight to the unit and pulled out my ipad and saw the article he showed me was a year old! ...That reaffirmed my belief that I was up on things and knew just as much about the system as he did.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
He flashed up an article on the computer monitor from "The Street" and I sat up because I didn't know the deal was really happening. So he got my attention. He hinted that we would become one big happy family. I went straight to the unit and pulled out my ipad and saw the article he showed me was a year old! ...That reaffirmed my belief that I was up on things and knew just as much about the system as he did.

It's pretty certain he didn't really know any more about any potential ILG/MVW merger than you did. He has access to the same articles on The Street or other sites as anyone else. Sales Reps aren't privy to strategic corporate decisions. No one outside of the MVW and ILG executive offices, the boards, and their legal and transaction advisors know what is going to happen. Everyone else is just guessing.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I certainly wouldn't give him any credit. Even with the article today, the sales rep certainly had zero insider knowledge to any such transaction between MVC and ILG. Certainly nothing more than what we know ourselves. It was certainly just sales talk.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found a very effective way to get rid of them.. Pick either points or cash they offer and then say you will only do it if they double their offer. There seems to be a rule incentives are non-negotiable and they refuse to call anymore if you make a counter offer :)

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I found a very effective way to get rid of them.. Pick either points or cash they offer and then say you will only do it if they double their offer. There seems to be a rule incentives are non-negotiable and they refuse to call anymore if you make a counter offer :)
They are not non negotiable.
They doubled their original offer at our last resort presentation when we said we were not interested at the original offer.
It probably does depend though on timing, take up and related factors.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
They doubled their original offer at our last resort presentation when we said we were not interested at the original offer.

That sounds like persuasion instead of negotiation.

Marriott tried to persuade you by doubling their offer, had you started a negotiation process by *you* generating an offer then IMO and experience they take offense and will stop all contact.

Furthermore trying to influence persuasion is a means to touring and discussions about buying. Negotiation is a means to ending unwanted contact. Two distinctly different objectives, albeit negotiation is opposite of what you expect and thus my original point.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This is really built in to the sales plan. They will go there to make the sale, but it is planned from the beginning if it comes to that.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounds like persuasion instead of negotiation.

Marriott tried to persuade you by doubling their offer, had you started a negotiation process by *you* generating an offer then IMO and experience they take offense and will stop all contact.

Furthermore trying to influence persuasion is a means to touring and discussions about buying. Negotiation is a means to ending unwanted contact. Two distinctly different objectives, albeit negotiation is opposite of what you expect and thus my original point.
I guess we just have a different interpretation of negotiation.
They offered me a number of MR points to attend a sales presentation.
I responded saying that this would not incent me to attend, but if they would like to make another offer that would make it worth my while giving up my holiday time I would be interested.
They did and I accepted.
For me, that is negotiation.
(I am sure they were willing to offer this from the outset, but if I hadn’t asked for it I wouldn’t have got it)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
This is really built in to the sales plan. They will go there to make the sale, but it is planned from the beginning if it comes to that.
Exactly, and they are naturally selecting out of the process people who are savvy enough to try to negotiate a much better deal.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I guess we just have a different interpretation of negotiation.
They offered me a number of MR points to attend a sales presentation.
I responded saying that this would not incent me to attend, but if they would like to make another offer that would make it worth my while giving up my holiday time I would be interested.
They did and I accepted.
For me, that is negotiation.
(I am sure they were willing to offer this from the outset, but if I hadn’t asked for it I wouldn’t have got it)
It seems that you were negotiating the incentives for taking a timeshare tour. I think @sparty was saying that incentives for purchasing timeshare points/weeks is not negotiable. I find that the head hunters trying to get you to take a presentation generally have a fair bit of leeway in what they can offer, though it usually decreases their bonus if they increase their offer to get you in the door.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems that you were negotiating the incentives for taking a timeshare tour. I think @sparty was saying that incentives for purchasing timeshare points/weeks is not negotiable. I find that the head hunters trying to get you to take a presentation generally have a fair bit of leeway in what they can offer, though it usually decreases their bonus if they increase their offer to get you in the door.
OK, that wasn’t the way I read it but I can understand that - apples and pears.