• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2018] So I want out. And don’t care about my credit.

janetdoe

Reaction score
You may want to include that your life situation has changed and at this time, timeshare ownership is not practical.
Disagree completely, do not give them any indication that it is you or your life situation changing. Do not claim any blame for this. If your goal is to invoke legal rights or protections in the future, I think your stance should be that they were predatory and fraudulent. Period. Or ignore them like Marathoner suggests.

In the US, our schools often have a 'legal aid' office or program where students can get free/cheap legal advice. I would say it's worthwhile to check with your university and see if there are any Canadian legal protections you can invoke. They solicited a Canadian citizen, in Canada, to purchase a timeshare. So Canadian consumer law should also apply.

The lawsuit-happy American in me says that you should find something you can sue them for in Canadian court to try to twist their arm into releasing you form the sales contract. It's going to be expensive for them to retain Canadian counsel.

My question is, how did Westgate run a credit check on you in order to finance your contract? Whatever credit system they queried is potentially a system where they can report that you defaulted. The people who say that everything is off your credit report 7 years after a bad event in the USA are mostly correct, but what is the corresponding time frame if Westgate have access to report to Canadian credit systems? In the US, employers can run a credit check on you before you begin employment. Is that possible in Canada?

The final thing I would say is that I have no idea if or how delinquent debt in the US would impact your ability to get a Nexus card, or to enter the USA. It's probably not at all relevant, but I would check that out to reassure myself. I love my Nexus card!

ETA: TUGBBS won't let me post a link but I googled "westgate foreclosure canadian citizen" and found some relevant and reassuring accounts.

Last edited:

BeckySmith

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Lakes V
Disagree completely, do not give them any indication that it is you or your life situation changing. Do not claim any blame for this. If your goal is to invoke legal rights or protections in the future, I think your stance should be that they were predatory and fraudulent. Period. Or ignore them like Marathoner suggests.

In the US, our schools often have a 'legal aid' office or program where students can get free/cheap legal advice. I would say it's worthwhile to check with your university and see if there are any Canadian legal protections you can invoke. They solicited a Canadian citizen, in Canada, to purchase a timeshare. So Canadian consumer law should also apply.

The lawsuit-happy American in me says that you should find something you can sue them for in Canadian court to try to twist their arm into releasing you form the sales contract. It's going to be expensive for them to retain Canadian counsel.

My question is, how did Westgate run a credit check on you in order to finance your contract? Whatever credit system they queried is potentially a system where they can report that you defaulted. The people who say that everything is off your credit report 7 years after a bad event in the USA are mostly correct, but what is the corresponding time frame if Westgate have access to report to Canadian credit systems? In the US, employers can run a credit check on you before you begin employment. Is that possible in Canada?

The final thing I would say is that I have no idea if or how delinquent debt in the US would impact your ability to get a Nexus card, or to enter the USA. It's probably not at all relevant, but I would check that out to reassure myself. I love my Nexus card!

ETA: TUGBBS won't let me post a link but I googled "westgate foreclosure canadian citizen" and found some relevant and reassuring accounts.

Thank you for the response . That’s just it ! Westgate just asked me what I “roughly” made in a year. That’s it ! Took my credit card, deposit went though, then I signed a “authorization of payment” form where they charge my credit card my mortgage each month.

And In Canada , I’ve heard of companies or government positions requesting to do a credit check. But I’ve heard of people claiming bankruptcy and still getting said job.

Honestly, there was a lot of red flags during the whole process, I was so overwhelmed and kept asking the “hard” questions to them. Like “will I have a problem selling my timeshare?” “What is my timeshare worth?” (Which they out right lied to my face about and because I knew little about timeshares trusted them)

The whole sales pitch was around the fact that my mother was leasing the timeshare to test it out and when we were in Orlando March of 2017 she sat in a sales presentation which the whole time I kept putting the sales person on the spot and pretty much straight to his face that this TS was overpriced and a Load of crap. He “talked to his manager “ came back with a much better price and my mom said she’d sit on it. Well, when my mom gifted my uncle and his family with her last week I tagged along because he’s terminally ill with cancer so I went to help with my little cousins as they were doing the Disney thing and Universal thing. When I was there I was to sign off for my mother but when I went to sign off the sales lady said I could take over my moms offer and that someone on their end screwed up and my time share normally sells for $55,000 but today only (and because someone on their end screwed up) they legally had to honour this “really good deal”. So, I thought about it, drilled them, sales manager came over and everything . He clarified on some stuff and they both say in when I asked about resale, I asked how hard it would be to rent it out, I asked about everything cause I knew something that sells for 55,000 there’s no way they’d honour the 15. So I knew there was a catch, which I also asked , “what’s the catch?”

But it all happened so fast and they got my tires all pumped up and I was making a good income. But, as I previously stated. I’m making changes in my life and can’t afford it any longer.

I will google more , I may have already seen the link you’re tying to post.

Thank you again !

Last edited:

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I disagree with some of the advice above.

Just stop paying immediately. Do not communicate with them and do not accept any calls from them. The only thing that Westgate cares about is your money full stop. Just stop paying and your credit will be better in 7 years in the States.

Conversing with them wastes your most valuable commodity - your time. Westgate will not care.

To add to Marathoner, you a very small fish in a big (huge) pond. Westgate will eventually forget about you, but might cause some trouble with phone calls. To put things in perspective, realize that Wyndham, a public company, admitted to writing off $94 million in timeshare contracts in 2017. Westgate is smaller and private - but you get my drift. This is a small event in a big world. I'm sorry you lost $5K, but Westgate taught you a very valuable lesson. Pass it on to your friends and relatives.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
How much are your monthly payments?
Could you try renting your timeshare?
If you felt pressured to buy, you can tell them you can’t afford it and ask them to take it back. They will sell it to someone else.
Good Luck!
Silentg

Kapolei

Reaction score
Thank you for the response . That’s just it ! Westgate just asked me what I “roughly” made in a year. That’s it ! Took my credit card, deposit went though, then I signed a “authorization of payment” form where they charge my credit card my mortgage each month.

And In Canada , I’ve heard of companies or government positions requesting to do a credit check. But I’ve heard of people claiming bankruptcy and still getting said job.

Honestly, there was a lot of red flags during the whole process, I was so overwhelmed and kept asking the “hard” questions to them. Like “will I have a problem selling my timeshare?” “What is my timeshare worth?” (Which they out right lied to my face about and because I knew little about timeshares trusted them)

The whole sales pitch was around the fact that my mother was leasing the timeshare to test it out and when we were in Orlando March of 2017 she sat in a sales presentation which the whole time I kept putting the sales person on the spot and pretty much straight to his face that this TS was overpriced and a Load of crap. He “talked to his manager “ came back with a much better price and my mom said she’d sit on it. Well, when my mom gifted my uncle and his family with her last week I tagged along because he’s terminally ill with cancer so I went to help with my little cousins as they were doing the Disney thing and Universal thing. When I was there I was to sign off for my mother but when I went to sign off the sales lady said I could take over my moms offer and that someone on their end screwed up and my time share normally sells for $55,000 but today only (and because someone on their end screwed up) they legally had to honour this “really good deal”. So, I thought about it, drilled them, sales manager came over and everything . He clarified on some stuff and they both say in when I asked about resale, I asked how hard it would be to rent it out, I asked about everything cause I knew something that sells for 55,000 there’s no way they’d honour the 15. So I knew there was a catch, which I also asked , “what’s the catch?”

But it all happened so fast and they got my tires all pumped up and I was making a good income. But, as I previously stated. I’m making changes in my life and can’t afford it any longer.

I will google more , I may have already seen the link you’re tying to post.

Thank you again !

You learned a lesson early.

I have managed to get through years of life without ever talking to sales people.

I bought my car weeks after a test drive from a different location by an email confirmation.

I just refuse to talk to sales people... EVER. I consider it part of my personal religion. The 11th Commandment, if you will. Never, ever talk to sales people.

BeckySmith

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Lakes V
How much are your monthly payments?
Could you try renting your timeshare?
If you felt pressured to buy, you can tell them you can’t afford it and ask them to take it back. They will sell it to someone else.
Good Luck!
Silentg

They won’t take it back.
Even if I rent my two weeks of the year it won’t cover the maintenance fees or mortgage payments . So it’s still not worth me hanging onto . I’ll still be out more money, at more of a loss and I’ll have to waste time trying to find renters.

Kapolei

Reaction score
They won’t take it back.
Even if I rent my two weeks of the year it won’t cover the maintenance fees or mortgage payments . So it’s still not worth me hanging onto . I’ll still be out more money, at more of a loss and I’ll have to waste time trying to find renters.

I wish you the best trying to sort this out. There is probably not going to be one perfect answer. If you had an uncle or aunt who is lawyer, maybe they could help to limit your exposure. But if they are good lawyers, they might not be going to battle for free over $14k.

I feel for you because if it was me, it would be eating at my soul. I have a hard time letting go when I get screwed over. Most of us are pretty much honest although not perfect people. We like to think the rest of the world is like us. The world is not that way. There are scum among us. (No comment on the company you dealt with). They (no comment on this company) believe their activities are ok because they have lawyers that say so. But lawyers do not define decency and goodness. I hope all ends well.

Last edited:

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
To add to Marathoner, you a very small fish in a big (huge) pond. Westgate will eventually forget about you, but might cause some trouble with phone calls. To put things in perspective, realize that Wyndham, a public company, admitted to writing off $94 million in timeshare contracts in 2017. Westgate is smaller and private - but you get my drift. This is a small event in a big world. I'm sorry you lost $5K, but Westgate taught you a very valuable lesson. Pass it on to your friends and relatives.

BeckySmith

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Lakes V

I’m still young and making mistakes . If this is the worst decision I’ve made in my 25yrs , I can live with it. I took a chance and was so very wrong. But I definitely learned my lesson. I’m glad I’m sorting it out now and not later.

I’m going to contact my credit card company tomorrow and have them stop any further transactions or charges from Westgate.

Thanks for the support[/QUOTE]

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just stop paying immediately. Do not communicate with them and do not accept any calls from them. The only thing that Westgate cares about is your money full stop. Just stop paying and your credit will be better in 7 years in the States.

I agree with this. Ignore their phone calls and don't respond to anything they send you in writing. It is not worth your time.

George

Crafty71

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smugglers Notch Resort (Wyndham); DVC Old Key West
I’m still young and making mistakes . If this is the worst decision I’ve made in my 25yrs , I can live with it. I took a chance and was so very wrong. But I definitely learned my lesson. I’m glad I’m sorting it out now and not later.

I’m going to contact my credit card company tomorrow and have them stop any further transactions or charges from Westgate.

Thanks for the support
[/QUOTE]
Hi Again Becky,

Just be aware that you "may" have to cancel your credit card and get another one since you did authorize the payment and it has gone through multiple times already...

Anyone is free to contest a C/C charge, but it does not mean that the C/C company will automatically stop the charge. If Westgate contests your stop-payment (and Westgate does have a signed document that you authorized them to take a monthly payment...), then the C/C company might reinstate the charge...

Just so you know...

Cheers!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I don't think credit bureaus are going to categorize stopping timeshare payments as a major red flag. I remember we had an issue with a timeshare payment not getting posted to our account, which was completely the bank's fault, and when we went to buy our house that we are in now, two years later, we saw the negative on our credit report of a supposed missed payment. When I called the credit reporting agency, they told me to write a letter to the creditor and another to them credit bureau, and it was all taken care of without any further issues, and we were able to buy our house.

I remember specifically how the woman at the credit bureau felt about timeshares, and she said they are different from other debts because they are pretty much a scam. So that was in the early 1980's. I think their opinions of timeshare are probably even less today.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Becky, I think there are a good number of people who would have loved to only pay $5K for a valuable life lesson. Good luck to you. I hope you remain on TUG to let us know how things proceed - and to help others who come asking the same questions you did. We see a bunch of such posts every week.

BeckySmith

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Lakes V
Hi Again Becky,

Just be aware that you "may" have to cancel your credit card and get another one since you did authorize the payment and it has gone through multiple times already...

Anyone is free to contest a C/C charge, but it does not mean that the C/C company will automatically stop the charge. If Westgate contests your stop-payment (and Westgate does have a signed document that you authorized them to take a monthly payment...), then the C/C company might reinstate the charge...

Just so you know...

Cheers![/QUOTE]

Well it’s a good thing I’m due for a new one anyways.

Thanks

BeckySmith

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Lakes V
Becky, I think there are a good number of people who would have loved to only pay $5K for a valuable life lesson. Good luck to you. I hope you remain on TUG to let us know how things proceed - and to help others who come asking the same questions you did. We see a bunch of such posts every week.

I will most definitely post updates and will probabaly have more questions as this all unravels . However this ends, I will be sure to get and give as much valuable information as I can .

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.

Thanks for the support
[/QUOTE]
Did they ask you your income? It’s sounds to me that you don’t make enough money to have purchased these timeshares. That right there is a problem. There usually is a minimum salary requirement on the contract. You can try and dispute this, especially if they didn’t tell you?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Did they ask you your income? It’s sounds to me that you don’t make enough money to have purchased these timeshares. That right there is a problem. There usually is a minimum salary requirement on the contract. You can try and dispute this, especially if they didn’t tell you?
She said earlier that she had a good paying job, it is just that she is now going back to school.

Kurt

BeckySmith

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Lakes V
Did they ask you your income? It’s sounds to me that you don’t make enough money to have purchased these timeshares. That right there is a problem. There usually is a minimum salary requirement on the contract. You can try and dispute this, especially if they didn’t tell you?[/QUOTE]

I had a very good job making a very good salary for my age. Westgate did not tell me if there was a minimum , when they asked what I made I was like well depends on the year and the sales lady just wrote down a number and I just said I made way more than that and off the papers went.

But yes, as Kurt replied. I’ve decided to make a big career choice which requires me going back to school for 4-5yrs.

I can keep up with payments and starve (because I won’t have money for groceries) or cut my losses and learn from this.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
I understand, still think they took advantage of you.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this is the worst decision I’ve made in my 25yrs , I can live with it.
I agree with you. It's only money and nobody has been harmed in the process. You seem to know what you are doing. Good for you for figuring it out before you paid much more into it.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Westgate or wastegate as some of us call them is one of the worst slimeballs in the timeshare business. If you want to see what the leadership family is like, watch the documentary movie "Queen of Versailles". You are young, everything will work out for you.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So quickly apply for another credit card before you default on your Wastegate contract...just in case wastegate causes you trouble with your currently involved credit card company. I suggest application for a new cc after reading the following excellent point:

"Anyone is free to contest a C/C charge, but it does not mean that the C/C company will automatically stop the charge. If Westgate contests your stop-payment (and Westgate does have a signed document that you authorized them to take a monthly payment...),"

Last edited:

BeckySmith

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Lakes V
Hey guys, so I’m doing a follow up.

I did contact someone to see what my timeshare is worth to see if it’s worth selling. Is it even worth paying someone to try and sell ? I feel like there is no market for it and I’ll just end up losing more money. Any feedback would be appreciated!

He appraised it at $19,900.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I’m doing a follow up.

I did contact someone to see what my timeshare is worth to see if it’s worth selling. Is it even worth paying someone to try and sell ? I feel like there is no market for it and I’ll just end up losing more money. Any feedback would be appreciated!

He appraised it at $19,900.

I think you already know that 19.9 is no where near what you can get. Tell that appraiser he can have it for half of his appraisal and see how fast he backpedals. Would you be willing to tell us who they were and whether they had an upfront fee to list your timeshare for sale?