• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental Car on Maui

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Not all of us have experienced that, to be honest.

My previous post from page 2:

My 2018 rentals are also low - but new searches (checked every couple of days) these same rentals are 50% and greater.

Have you looked at what they are now?

I have a convertible (17 days in June: LIH) for $941 and now ~$2700 !!! (and has been ~$2700 for at least 2 months)

That is an extreme example.

I have a 14 day convertible for OGG (Sept) for $573. Now ~$1400 !!! up from ~$900. I have made a convertible OGG reservation for over 5 years in Sept (same time period) and has run around $280-$300 per week.

I have more examples.
AutoSlash has not come close to my current Costco rentals for my LIH or OGG rentals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
I always book 9 or 10 months in advance, and check pricing every Tuesday. Prices are higher right now for June, but I'd expect that, to be honest. Discount Hawaii Car Rental has shown relatively consistent pricing for the past 4 months or so, as well. I haven't been recording the prices, but if I had to guess I'd say that the same car is now about $50-75 higher than it was a few months ago.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I always book 9 or 10 months in advance, and check pricing every Tuesday. Prices are higher right now for June, but I'd expect that, to be honest. Discount Hawaii Car Rental has shown relatively consistent pricing for the past 4 months or so, as well. I haven't been recording the prices, but if I had to guess I'd say that the same car is now about $50-75 higher than it was a few months ago.

I also make mine way in advance, and glad I have. I also track every few days to get the drops (which I have), but for months now these prices have gone up without dropping.

I don’t go to Kauai in June normally (usually Sept in odd years) - so perhaps this is normal... but, we go to Maui every Sept - and my comparisons for 3 vehicle types (convertible, Int SUV and Std car) are much (much) higher than past years.
And have not dropped, and AutoSlash has not come close at least for Alamo and Budget (these are the only ones I have used).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
There has been a drop in Costco Car Rental prices for LIH and OGG.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
There has been a drop in Costco Car Rental prices for LIH and OGG.

I haven’t noticed anything for January 2019 yet, do my dates anyway.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I haven’t noticed anything for January 2019 yet, do my dates anyway.

Pays to check frequently - I used the Costco App now that I am not on a computer regularly anymore.

I am at ~$52/day for LIH and ~$37/day for OGG for Int SUV.
And $55/day and $41/day for Convertible

The current convertible prices are much (much) more - liking going to go with Int SUV for north Kauai, and convertible for Maui

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Yep, I have the app too. It helps me check more often. Best I have right now is $335 for a week in an intermediate both on Maui and Kauai.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Yep, I have the app too. It helps me check more often. Best I have right now is $335 for a week in an intermediate both on Maui and Kauai.

Our LIH Int SUV dropped again.
AutoSlash (for Alamo and Budget) has not beaten Costco. $840 for 17 days.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I have mine entered in AutoSlash also but I have never had any luck through them. Right now I have both Kauai and Maui through Costco but both $335 for a week in an intermediate. I keep watching.:)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
So the other day I started shopping for our car rental on Maui for August 4-18, 2018. Most companies including Costco were running at just under/over $1,000 for the two weeks. I rechecked this morning and prices were still around $1,000. I went to Discount Hawaiian Car Rental. I got a car (Yaris) for $500 For the 2 weeks. It was funny on Costco the cheapest car was a 4 door Jeep at about $980 For the two weeks.

For the first time we are staying in Kaanapali. All our precious stays were in Kihei. We are spending one week at DRI Kaanapali Beach Club and one week at Hona Koa that we got through Club Select through Diamond. We were suppose to be going to Molokai (1 week) and Maui (2 weeks) in October but without my participation Patti let a "friend" talk her into New Orleans vice Hawaii with the "friend." Patti I have had had a long talk about while we may invite "friend" to travel with us, she has no say in where we decide to travel. Patti knows to never let this happen again. But then I had a whole lot of Diamond Points that were going to go unused and lost this year. So the unscheduled trip to Hawaii in August.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Dropped another $10 ($830)
and then just popped up to $930.

Doubt I will see lower than $830 ($49/day for Int SUV), but will continue surveillance - Costco App takes <1 min

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Costco still can't touch my rate at Budget (direct). They have been $100 total higher since I started planning the trip. AutoSlash actually did find one rate better ($10 cheaper), but it was with Advantage who doesn't have anything equivalent to FastBreak.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to piggy back on this thread. I currently have a reservation booked through Costco for $745 for 2 weeks in Maui for Full Size with Budget.

When I check Costco Travel right now, the comparable is $915.
When I check Expedia/Orbitz/Kayak, the equivalent rate is $548 - $578.
Looks like the best rate is with Advantage. With a coupon, it gets down to $508 for the 2 weeks.

Anyone have any experience with Advantage or Dollar or any of the other brands not used by Costco Travel? For a $240 savings, I'm almost willing to switch. If I do a prepay, which I won't, it would save another $12 and bring it down to $496.

I'm circling back 2 months later as my trip is in a couple of days. Best rate I've found out there was with my corporate travel for $699 for a Full Size with Alamo. However, I was also able to snag a Standard SUV with Alamo through Costco and that's what I'm going to go with. The rate are crazy expensive right now.

Even worse, I'm planning a trip back to Kauai in August 6 weeks later and an 8 day car rental is about $660 for a Standard SUV. That comes out to over $80 a day. Right now my Corporate travel rate can get me down to $522 for a Minivan, which is what I really want for my family, but that's still about $65 per day.