• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can’t get through to Marriott Hotel phone line

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am using the number that I was given for Platinum Elites. I’ve been on hold forever. Is this still the number ‭(800) 399-4229‬?

I tried at 1:00 this afternoon and gave up, and now it is 7:30pm and I still can not get anyone to answer the phone.

Anyone else having this problem?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The number is correct. I highly suspect all calls, platinum or not are rolled into the same generic Marriott Rewards number. The hold times, on both numbers, have been between 30 minutes to 45 minutes for me when I called a couple of weeks ago. Looks like things have not improved. They are TERRIBLE! The only suggestion is to hold and put on a speaker while you continue to do your other things.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
The number is correct. I highly suspect all calls, platinum or not are rolled into the same generic Marriott Rewards number. The hold times, on both numbers, have been between 30 minutes to 45 minutes for me when I called a couple of weeks ago. Looks like things have not improved. They are TERRIBLE! The only suggestion is to hold and put on a speaker while you continue to do your other things.

I never encountered this before. Why have special numbers for Elites if you don't intend on answering them. This is so horrible. I want to give them business and they put me on hold forever. That is just nuts!!!~

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never encountered this before. Why have special numbers for Elites if you don't intend on answering them. This is so horrible. I want to give them business and they put me on hold forever. That is just nuts!!!~
We've been experiencing this same thing on the platinum line for about 3 weeks. We also noticed, rather than getting an rep on the line, as in the past, you were put through the cycle of prompts. We had some major things we needed help with, that we could not change on line, and had to wait over 45 minutes.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I spent quite a bit of time on hold today too, but finally got through. Frustrating experience. Hopefully it improves.

Mike

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope this is not an indication that, in the newly combined Marriott- Starwood corporation, Elite benefits mean zero. I need to talk to a person and this is really unacceptable.

Hell, I want to make reservations that can’t be done online. I was a marketing director for a MAJOR phone company. This is a nightmare. If someone wants to give you money you should make sure every telephone call goes through to a person.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone else posted a couple of weeks ago and the Marriott folks gave the excuse that the merger is causing issues and hence the long hold time. Really?! I would say stupid, if you ask me.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Someone else posted a couple of weeks ago and the Marriott folks gave the excuse that the merger is causing issues and hence the long hold time. Really?! I would say stupid, if you ask me.

I understand it is hundreds (more?) of people jamming the phone lines asking questions about the combined loyalty company and they are asking questions which can't be answered at the moment.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand it is hundreds (more?) of people jamming the phone lines asking questions about the combined loyalty company and they are asking questions which can't be answered at the moment.
Possibly... but this long wait time happened even before the 3-in-1 hotel reward program was announced. I was calling them for something that could not be done online then, as per booking a 5-night travel package. I spent half a day, literally, to get to speak with someone. Even then, the first agent had no clue and finally had to pass me on to one of her colleagues. I posted about the call here on TUG, and that was before the announcement.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question. Why am I being routed to a Marriott Reward phone line? My phone calls used to be answered by a canned response that said, Welcome to Marriott's Platinum Elite Phone line..please enter your Marriott Rewards number..

Then a rep would get on in a minute. What happened to that Elite Phone line?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is another result of large corporate mergers. I would expect the same type of thing with MVC if its acquisition is approved. Monopolies don't have to care about customers.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
I, too, have been put on hold forever. Used to get right through to the Platinum Elite line. I was told by one of the agents that all numbers were going to change and that they are in the process of setting that up. Who knows?

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I emailed Marriott earlier this week regarding some missing points. Usually I would get a response within hours, if not minutes. It took most of the week to get a response that they had passed the issue along to the hotel. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
After I *finally* got through, I asked the agent if there was a new/different phone number for Platinum Elite members. I was told that Marriott has eliminated that perk entirely. Everyone now uses the same phone number, and navigates the same frustrating phone menu, and experiences the same long wait times, and receives the same impersonal service.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
After I *finally* got through, I asked the agent if there was a new/different phone number for Platinum Elite members. I was told that Marriott has eliminated that perk entirely. Everyone now uses the same phone number, and navigates the same frustrating phone menu, and experiences the same long wait times, and receives the same impersonal service.
Marriott Platinum is tarnishing.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to European egalitarianism.

dneveu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor, Marriott Shadow Ridge, Marriott Grand Chateau
We've been experiencing this same thing on the platinum line for about 3 weeks. We also noticed, rather than getting an rep on the line, as in the past, you were put through the cycle of prompts. We had some major things we needed help with, that we could not change on line, and had to wait over 45 minutes.

We’ve noticed the same thing on the platinum line since the MR announcement about 3-4 weeks ago. I too was dropped into a queue with prompts that take a while to figure out simply how to request an associate. After that my wait was 25 minutes to talk to a representative. This was better than past nights where I’ve hung up after 45 minutes. My associate was extremely helpful and efficient. In 5 minutes she added my MR number to 3 reservations and extended my chase cat 1-5 cert for anouther year till May 2019 as it was about to expire. No. questions asked regarding any of my requests, just said she could handle them and did.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
In 5 minutes she added my MR number to 3 reservations and extended my chase cat 1-5 cert for anouther year till May 2019 as it was about to expire. No. questions asked regarding any of my requests, just said she could handle them and did.
You have the magic touch. The Chase 1-5 certificate by its terms cannot be extended, and the two times I asked I was told there are no exceptions, even for those of us with top tier elite status in Marriott Rewards.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion only sometimes the best time to call is five (5) minutes prior to opening in the morning and after lunch at 12:59 PM.
These are the times that work for us.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have the magic touch. The Chase 1-5 certificate by its terms cannot be extended, and the two times I asked I was told there are no exceptions, even for those of us with top tier elite status in Marriott Rewards.
I’ve extended mine for two years straight. However, I just found out it can’t be further extended and I’ll have to use it by May 31. Since I’ll be in Las Vegas Vegas starting May 26 I won’t be able to use it.