• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ski weeks

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to hear more experiences and opinions about ski timeshares. Tug seems to have few posts regarding the ski weeks and I am curious about the availability out there. How are you using your ownership to ski? Do any of the properties have much availability in the trust or are most ski weeks traditional weeks owned and used? If I buy points, will I find availability during New Years and spring break, or is it better to own a fixed week? Do those with floating weeks usually get the week they want?

Anne&Jim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Villas North OF (annual)
Westin Kaanapali Villas North (annual)
Westin Kaanapali Villas North (bi-annual)
Westin Mission Hills (annual)
Cliff Club at Snowbird (annual)
The Ridge at Tahoe (annual)
I would love to hear more experiences and opinions about ski timeshares. Tug seems to have few posts regarding the ski weeks and I am curious about the availability out there. How are you using your ownership to ski? Do any of the properties have much availability in the trust or are most ski weeks traditional weeks owned and used? If I buy points, will I find availability during New Years and spring break, or is it better to own a fixed week? Do those with floating weeks usually get the week they want?

I, too, am interested in this, and would like to add a request for information about how good the skiing is, year over year, in your particular place. It seems no matter when we choose to go, we’ve chosen a year they have disappointing snow in Colorado, so we are trying Wyoming next year (and have had good luck in Utah already.). Are you ever afraid a fixed week or planning 8-12 months ahead won’t turn out to be a good snow week?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If I were buying a ski week to use to ski for a week every year, I would buy at Snowbird*. There is nothing to do there other than ski, but it is the place most likely to have large quantities of high quality snow during ski season.

* Snowbird is adjacent to Alta. Alta/Snowbird gets substantially more snow than Park City and because it is at a higher altitude, drier snow as well.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I spend 10-12 weeks in Steamboat every year for the last 21 years, mid-Jan to mid-Apr. Never been disappointed with the snow although early season (Dec) and late season (Apr) can be hit or miss. Usually the most reliable snow of the major resorts in CO.

Cheers

Last edited:

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
In Utah, some of the best snow depths are in March. Though, it can get warm in later March, with chunky snow in the afternoons. I would recommend February and March. I own a winter floating week at Marriott Mountainside, and have always received my first choice. I agree with what was mentioned about Snowbird and Alta resorts in Utah. The quantity and quality of the snow are some of the best in the world.

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I owned Marriott Summit Watch for more than 10 years. I did not own Platinum season there.

I have never once used MSW in the season I owned. I traded it for week 7 Marriott ski weeks multiple times in Park City, Vail, Breckenridge and Tahoe. Trading for week 7 was a nail biter. II would call us all the time and say that we would never get our exchange and offer something else instead. We always got week 7 when we wanted it, even it meant waiting for flexchange. We often got it within two weeks of travel. My ex-DH hated that! The waiting game of exchanging may not be for everyone. But now that I don’t always need a week 7, exchanging for a ski week has gotten much easier.

I also own a fixed ski week in Whistler and a non-Marriott in Tahoe. I love having that planned ahead of time.

I never enrolled my MSW weeks, so I have no experience with booking with DC points.

In II, I request 12 months ahead of time and never give the ski conditions a thought. I ski 2-4 weekends a month at Tahoe and my ski timeshare weeks are a vacation first and a ski trip second. I often bring girlfriends with me who ski at the intermediate level and therefore ski conditions are less important. I save the steep and deep for Whistler anyway. ;)

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My strong recommendation for ski weeks is to buy the fixed weeks that you want to use every year. This means, for Marriott, you can generally buy fixed weeks 51, 52, and 7. That said, if you buy a floating platinum ski week, I've been able to book on all the non-holiday ski weeks that I've wanted at Summit Watch by calling in at the 13 month and 12 month booking dates

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
My worst skiing experiences because of the crowds in Utah is President’s Day. Maybe other days during President’s Day week are better. The local schools only get out for President’s Day.

sea&ski

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My worst skiing experiences because of the crowds in Utah is President’s Day. Maybe other days during President’s Day week are better. The local schools only get out for President’s Day.
I believe this is known as "Ski Week" and yes, it can be a bear. Choose any other week and you should be fine.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We have consistently traded our gold Shadow Ridge studio/1BR for 2BR to Mountainside or Timber Lodge whenever we want either in winter vacation (1st week of Jan) or spring break. We are confident enough that we buy season passes at the resort we want well ahead of time. Ski weeks when school is in are very easy.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have consistently traded our gold Shadow Ridge studio/1BR for 2BR to Mountainside or Timber Lodge whenever we want either in winter vacation (1st week of Jan) or spring break. We are confident enough that we buy season passes at the resort we want well ahead of time. Ski weeks when school is in are very easy.
I would caveat this statement.

The availability to trade in II for a non-holiday platinum 2BR ski week is generally good during the flextrade period but not outside of flex. Hence, this requires some flexibility to travel to Park City and Lake Tahoe on short notice. Outside of flextrade, my experience is it requires some planning using either OGS or instant. It is much easier to book 1br and studio ski weeks outside of flex.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I would caveat this statement.

The availability to trade in II for a non-holiday platinum 2BR ski week is generally good during the flextrade period but not outside of flex. Hence, this requires some flexibility to travel to Park City and Lake Tahoe on short notice. Outside of flextrade, my experience is it requires some planning using either OGS or instant. It is much easier to book 1br and studio ski weeks outside of flex.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Our Jan 2019 week (school vacation) was matched at 10 months out. Our Spring Break 2018 week matched at 7 months out. Both 2brs. Prior years into Mountainside and Timber Lodge, similar results.

Yes, this required OGS, but not flexchange.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This year especially it seemed ski weeks in Park City were available one or two weeks before check-in.

Anne&Jim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was able to get a Snowbird (Cliff Club) week and am so excited! It really is the best snow on earth!

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I was able to get a Snowbird (Cliff Club) week and am so excited! It really is the best snow on earth!

Congrats; you will love it there.

I don't know about the best snow on earth, but it is without a doubt the best snow in North America (at least if you are skiing inbounds).

Anne&Jim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congrats; you will love it there.

I don't know about the best snow on earth, but it is without a doubt the best snow in North America (at least if you are skiing inbounds).

Oooh, I’d love some recommendations as to where it might be better, or comparable, in or out of the US. We are always looking for new adventures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)

I guess it is all relative. I live and ski in the east. We've been to Vail, Breck, and Park City President's week 3 different years. Each time locals talk about the crowds, but our guests and we have found the crowds during Presidents week to be much less crowded than any weeks (especially weekends) in New England. Lines were short and the trails were not crowded by our standards.

BTW we had no trouble booking, one via II (Vail) and twice with points 13 Months out.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oooh, I’d love some recommendations as to where it might be better, or comparable, in or out of the US. We are always looking for new adventures!

You're going to have to go outside MVC, but there are lots of timeshares that access good Canadian skiing. As a bonus, your money goes 25% further with the exchange rate in your favour. II has timeshares in Whistler, BC, Fernie, BC, Panorama, BC, Canmore, AB, and Mont Tremblant, QC. All would make a memorable ski trip.

For the last few years I've bought an Epic Pass and I'm trying to make my way through all the resorts. Still haven't made it to the ski resorts of Austria, France, Italy and Switzerland but there are timeshares for those too, so I'll just have to add those to my bucket list.

Anne&Jim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You're going to have to go outside MVC, but there are lots of timeshares that access good Canadian skiing. As a bonus, your money goes 25% further with the exchange rate in your favour. II has timeshares in Whistler, BC, Fernie, BC, Panorama, BC, Canmore, AB, and Mont Tremblant, QC. All would make a memorable ski trip.

For the last few years I've bought an Epic Pass and I'm trying to make my way through all the resorts. Still haven't made it to the ski resorts of Austria, France, Italy and Switzerland but there are timeshares for those too, so I'll just have to add those to my bucket list.

We did a heli-ski day at Whistler and it was powder heaven! Thanks for the recommendations!

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I go to Snowbird every year so I deeply respect the quality of skiing there. Equally good or better, in my experience: Whistler, Jackson Hole, Val d'Isere/Tignes.

Very different but I have a real appreciation for the skiing at Breckenridge. Its also a great mountain to ski if you ski with the family due to the terrain variety. The terrain at Breck is ultimately as good or more challenging than the other ski resorts within a 2 hour drive of Breck.

Anne&Jim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I go to Snowbird every year so I deeply respect the quality of skiing there. Equally good or better, in my experience: Whistler, Jackson Hole, Val d'Isere/Tignes.

Very different but I have a real appreciation for the skiing at Breckenridge. Its also a great mountain to ski if you ski with the family due to the terrain variety. The terrain at Breck is ultimately as good or more challenging than the other ski resorts within a 2 hour drive of Breck.

Totally agree that Break and Whistler are good. We are going to Jackson Hole in January, so will let you know how that goes. I’ll have to look up your other suggestion as I’ve never heard of it, so thanks for the referral!

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland

Breckenridge is pretty cold though as the elevation on the ski slopes are at least 11,000.Great for spring season

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
Is there a way you can own a time share in Tahoe and only use it on weekends?