• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

One problem with the MVCI points program...

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
One problem with the MVCI points program is that joining it means they switch you to a new Interval International account, meaning that you still must pay for the old I.I. account if it was also used for another timeshare system (e.g., Festiva). So no money saved there, just increased costs of membership.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
One problem with the MVCI points program is that joining it means they switch you to a new Interval International account, meaning that you still must pay for the old I.I. account if it was also used for another timeshare system (e.g., Festiva). So no money saved there, just increased costs of membership.

I have one enrolled week in the DP program and and two units (Marriott's) not eligible for enrollment. I have never exchanged my weeks for points but see potential use when my wife is nit tied to a school calendar. I pay for two II accounts. I am hoping now (or when) MVCI and II integrate from the merger. I have one account. While I understand your point, with the costs of timeshare ownership and vacations, the extra fee while annoying pales in comparison to other costs. Each year I question why pay the 195 for the enrolled week and every year I pay it to defer the answer one year.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That’s what stops me from enrolling even though I can pretty much enroll my week for free now. I always rent it out for a lot more than the MFs. With the paltry amount of points assigned, I simply can’t justify the extra $195 a year to have another II account.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

Well, I would say that depends how you use the week. If you always lock off and trade it (I have done so for 20 years), you actually save money if you trade to MVCI properties since those are $0, and, the lockoff is $0. Combined, those cost more than the club dues. Also, if you like them, you may find you get more ACs. If you don't like them, then that part doesn't matter.

Colt Seavers

Reaction score
Well, I would say that depends how you use the week. If you always lock off and trade it (I have done so for 20 years), you actually save money if you trade to MVCI properties since those are $0, and, the lockoff is $0. Combined, those cost more than the club dues. Also, if you like them, you may find you get more ACs. If you don't like them, then that part doesn't matter.

I agree, we lock off every year and just one Marriott trade puts us ahead compared to the previous fees. Of course, if I had known Interval would annoy me with a choice between the new account and the now-closed account EVERY TIME I log in I might have reconsidered.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, we lock off every year and just one Marriott trade puts us ahead compared to the previous fees. Of course, if I had known Interval would annoy me with a choice between the new account and the now-closed account EVERY TIME I log in I might have reconsidered.

I really hate that! I was talking to the tug II representative yesterday about that. He said, well, you may buy something some day and want to resurrect that old account. I said sure, it could happen, but the one million times you hassle me with picking the account is simply not worth it, I'll submit all the info again. Just hide it from me, but he could not find a way. That, and, the old account always has this renew button, and some day, esp as I get older, I just might click it and renew the old account accidentally.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are enrolled members and have a corporate II account, but we have never seen any reference to our old account (closed long ago) since the new one was created. That’s been since 2010!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We are enrolled members and have a corporate II account, but we have never seen any reference to our old account (closed long ago) since the new one was created. That’s been since 2010!
Every time I log in to II, I have three options to pick from, our old Pre-DC closed account, our new DC corporate account and our Vistana Corporate account. It really doesn't bother me much. I just wish if you upgrade one of them to Gold or Platinum it applied across all of your active accounts. I am not going to buy separate Platinum membership for two different accounts.

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
We recently resurrected our old II account when we purchased a resale Desert Springs II week. Solved the additional cost issue by depositing that week and, in return, receiving 3 years worth of platinum privileges from II. I guess that's one way to solve the cost question for two II accounts. The only remaining problem is when we log into II; we have to ensure that we are logging into the correct account, corporate or individual.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 3 active accounts and the only one with platinum membership is the personal one. When the deposited weeks in that personal one are exchanged, I will close it. I doubt I will buy platinum membership for either the Vistana or Marriott one. We don't buy getaways and we had only used guest certificate once last year and once this year when using ACs to book for our friend. We did benefit from the size upgrade discounted rate last year but we have not even exchanged any weeks this year.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will separately itemize each levels benefits that we use, yes, you don't need both. Well, we always do platinum. For platinum over gold, we use the lounge, we always have one 2 size upgrade fee (saves $20 over gold), we always do at least 2 getaways (saves $50). So, that already pays the entire Platinum fee. For Gold level, we use Entertainment benefit which by itself saves the entire gold cost, and that saves another $50 over no premium for the getaways, plus we save another $20 for the unit upgrade fee. So, in the end, we are ahead every year. We save $140/year and get lounge access and "free" entertainment benefit which we use every place we visit. For us, it's a simple choice. Oh, and Hertz Gold +. So, maybe we save a few hundred a year if you count entertainment.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will separately itemize each levels benefits that we use, yes, you don't need both. Well, we always do platinum. For platinum over gold, we use the lounge, we always have one 2 size upgrade fee (saves $20 over gold), we always do at least 2 getaways (saves $50). So, that already pays the entire Platinum fee. For Gold level, we use Entertainment benefit which by itself saves the entire gold cost, and that saves another $50 over no premium for the getaways, plus we save another $20 for the unit upgrade fee. So, in the end, we are ahead every year. We save $140/year and get lounge access and "free" entertainment benefit which we use every place we visit. For us, it's a simple choice. Oh, and Hertz Gold +. So, maybe we save a few hundred a year if you count entertainment.
Er... doesn't the lounge access cost something per use? What is the Entertainment benefit? I have never heard of that.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Er... doesn't the lounge access cost something per use? What is the Entertainment benefit? I have never heard of that.

Yes, the Lounge Benefit costs to use, but, I can't use it without access which I do not otherwise have. I didn't include that in savings though, was just itemizing which benefits we use.

Entertainment books? Buy one get one meals, all sorts of shopping and other discounts. This gives you access to an ap that has all the discounts in it. Most major cities have numerous one time deals, and a few as often as you want deals. We used to buy the physical books when we lived in a city.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Lounge Benefit costs to use, but, I can't use it without access which I do not otherwise have. I didn't include that in savings though, was just itemizing which benefits we use.

Entertainment books? Buy one get one meals, all sorts of shopping and other discounts. This gives you access to an ap that has all the discounts in it. Most major cities have numerous one time deals, and a few as often as you want deals. We used to buy the physical books when we lived in a city.
I did not realize that we have Entertainment book discounts with platinum. Duh!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

It's even with Gold. Half of the coupons we use seem to require printing, a little hassle when out of time at a TS. The other half work electronically.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You don't get an Entertainment Book, but rather access to their online discount coupons that you can print. We use a few a year, but it isn't a big benefit to us as many of the restaurant options are not places that we would go to.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't get an Entertainment Book, but rather access to their online discount coupons that you can print. We use a few a year, but it isn't a big benefit to us as many of the restaurant options are not places that we would go to.

You can print them, or, you can use the app where half of them or so work without printing. We use them semi locally too, Cold Stone, etc. We probably use 20 per year. Probably means about $140 or so benefit.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

Yes but who cares. It is a minimal annual fee to be part of II. If you bought a week to use yourself, you do not need II. Westin and Hyatt are the same. If you buy an enrolled week, you get a “corporate” II account. For all these brands, you need a separate II account for all unenrolled weeks. So just group your unenrolled week into one non-corporate II account. It is easy.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Penny wise, dollar foolish.