• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New 2018 Marriott/SPG credit cards - Deadlines AMEX 8/25/18 and VISA 12/31/18

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
They may count any authorized user on a card as part of their 5/24 count but usually you can get them to issue the card if this is the only reason for denial. Some cards don't use the 5/24 rule but if you get one of those cards they will count toward your 5/24 number of cards.

Wondering about 'authorized user'. My wife is the primary on our current MR Chase Visa, with me as a secondary authorized user. She got an email for only the 10k MR pts bonus to upgrade, which is disappointing. If I apply, will they allow me to get the 100k bonus even though I am a secondary authorized user on her card? Note: Her card is actually linked to my MR number :) .

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Wondering about 'authorized user'. My wife is the primary on our current MR Chase Visa, with me as a secondary authorized user. She got an email for only the 10k MR pts bonus to upgrade, which is disappointing. If I apply, will they allow me to get the 100k bonus even though I am a secondary authorized user on her card? Note: Her card is actually linked to my MR number :) .

We are in the same situation and looking to get the new card with DW as the primary and not as an authorized user on our current 'old' card. To be safe, we are going to drop her as an authorized user, wait 30 days, then have her apply for the 'new' card.

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score

We were in the same situation where I was an authorized user, except I have my own MR number. Last month my wife cancelled her card, and 5 days later I applied and was approved. I noticed 100,000 MR points credit on my visa statement already since we met the $5,000 spend.

At the end of May, my wife applied and was approved through the MR referral bonus promotion link, and we are waiting for the card. I still have to verify that she can get the 100k bonus, and I can get the 20,000 referral bonus.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is probably slightly off topic but I didn’t know if I should start a new thread for what is probably a simple question-

How do you know where you stand with Marriott rewards status?

When I log in I see the account overview of how many points I have currently, how many nights I have currently and how many nights I have life time.
Is there a way to see how many points I have earned lifetime?
Or am I wrong in thinking the criteria for lifetime status (ie- gold is 500 nights and 1.6 million points) is a cumulative for both nights and points?
You are all discussing how many more of each you need to achieve your status so sounds like you know where you stand.
Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I got an email offer to upgrade to the new Marriott Chase card for a 10,000 point bonus. Clearly, hearing some of you are getting 50,000 point offers, sounds like I should hold off and hope for a better offer.
Under the current program, do we still get 10 points for every dollar spent at MVC plus the 5 points per dollar if using the credit card?
For $85 for the old card, we get an elite night credit for every $3k spent, plus a cat 1-5 hotel stay. Now that is being devalued to a hotel night worth 25,000 points (no longer cat 5)
The new card we spend $10 more ($95) and we get a free hotel night up to 35,000 points (which is a cat 5) and we are losing the elite night credit for every $3k spent. We are instead getting an extra point per dollar spent? Gold status for spending $35k?
I’m not seeing the value of upgrading...am I missing something?
For us, the points are worth more than the nights. Neither of us is close to any lifetime status, so we don't covet more nights right now. Our stays in hotel properties are also fairly limited, so having status is nice, but we get little value out of it. The points are currency that we can use for travel. So the 2X points per dollar spend is a big lift over the existing card that is only 1 point per dollar on regular spending.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is probably slightly off topic but I didn’t know if I should start a new thread for what is probably a simple question-

How do you know where you stand with Marriott rewards status?

When I log in I see the account overview of how many points I have currently, how many nights I have currently and how many nights I have life time.
Is there a way to see how many points I have earned lifetime?
Or am I wrong in thinking the criteria for lifetime status (ie- gold is 500 nights and 1.6 million points) is a cumulative for both nights and points?
You are all discussing how many more of each you need to achieve your status so sounds like you know where you stand.
Thanks!

Log into your MR account first. They have removed the lifetime points from the previous menu, but you can still get there.

Go to this page:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi

Click on the blue word NIGHTS. There you go!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
First let me say that there are many that know much more about the CC game than I do. As I understand it, if she is the owner and you are just an authorized used (rather than a cosigner), you run the risk of having that link broken at some point and it's possible they could take back the points or cancel the account completely as I understand the agreement. Not likely though, if they realize they have them linked incorrectly, they will likely just unlink them and she'd have to get a new MR account and #. As for the bonus of 100K, others can likely speak to this better than I. If you don't fall outside the 5/24 rule (5 new cards in 24 months) it really shouldn't matter and you should qualify. That was the issue with the "authorized user" issue.

With the linked reward accounts for MR, SPG, etc; you likely need to work on this anyway. You can only have one reward # on your MVC account at a time but you can change it if you want even back and forth. The do the upgrade of status once a year, usually Jan/Feb but that could change with the other changes. I'd likely get the new card if your thinking about it anyway, put your number on it and get her # on the other card. The names also have to match the names on the Airlines account if you plan to use packages or miles, which was an issue for us as we both go by our middle name.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau

In my opinion, yes. I think Chase will look at your credit history if you apply for a new credit account. If you have been approved for fewer than 5 new credit card accounts in the past 24 months (accounts where you are an authorized user do count), and of course if you have good credit and sufficient income to support your application, you would have a good chance of approval. Don't be discouraged if you get an "application pending" message if you apply online - that's a pretty standard message.

If you have more than 5 new credit cards in the past 24 months, I doubt that you would be approved. In that situation, if you really want a MR Chase credit card, you'd have to sit back and wait until some of those older approvals are more than 24 months ago.

I don't see a good reason to use your MR number on your wife's Marriott credit card (unless you are earning an enormous number of MR points each year from the card). In the past, it was easy to transfer up to 50K Marriott points between spouses each year. I don't recall seeing information about spouse to spouse points transfer under the new Marriott program that will go into effect on August 1, but I would guess that it will likely continue.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Because the charge will show up as a Marriott charge. Marriott charges net 5X on the old card and 6x on the new card.
But Marriott Vacation Club is no longer Marriott. What published assurance have you seen that tells us what you say will continue to be true...for either card? I have not been able to find any. Again, pointer please.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But Marriott Vacation Club is no longer Marriott. What published assurance have you seen that tells us what you say will continue to be true...for either card? I have not been able to find any. Again, pointer please.
MVCI separated from Marriott hotels for several years already. MVCI pays license fees to Marriott hotel business. Nothing changes.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got a snail mail card offering 10k points for upgrading to new card. I am chasing nights until 12.31.18 to get to 750 so I won't considering upgrading until I am clearly going to make the 750 nights.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
MVCI separated from Marriott hotels for several years already. MVCI pays license fees to Marriott hotel business. Nothing changes.
Is this opinion? Or do you speak with authority? (Where can we find this writing? I have not been able to find a definition for what a "participating" Marriott Hotel is.)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this opinion? Or do you speak with authority? (Where can we find this writing? I have not been able to find a definition for what a "participating" Marriott Hotel is.)
Because nothing is mentioned one way or the other, nothing should change.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
How long is it taking for those who applied or upgraded to new card to get physical card in mail? DH applied 9 business days ago for Premiere plus and no card yet.

Called Chase and rep said our cards were just mailed out, and delay was because they had run out of plastic & metal card stock due to high card demand. Huh? This is the same reason given last year for the Chase Sapphire Reserve cards. Didn't they learn? Or just a pat answer? We already have an automatic $95 charge on our account for card annual fee.

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are in the same situation and looking to get the new card with DW as the primary and not as an authorized user on our current 'old' card. To be safe, we are going to drop her as an authorized user, wait 30 days, then have her apply for the 'new' card.

We just removed DW as an authorized user on our 'old' Marriott CC account. I specifically asked the CSR whether we should allow a 30 day 'cooling-off' period before DW applies for the 'new' Marriott card for herself. The CSR told me we should do that because the software that processes the applications will not differentiate between her being an authorized user versus the primary account holder on our 'old' account. If she applies before the 30 days pass, there is a risk of being denied the 100k signing bonus based on her having been on our 'old' account (even as an authorized user). YMMV.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just removed DW as an authorized user on our 'old' Marriott CC account. I specifically asked the CSR whether we should allow a 30 day 'cooling-off' period before DW applies for the 'new' Marriott card for herself. The CSR told me we should do that because the software that processes the applications will not differentiate between her being an authorized user versus the primary account holder on our 'old' account. If she applies before the 30 days pass, there is a risk of being denied the 100k signing bonus based on her having been on our 'old' account (even as an authorized user). YMMV.

My husband is an authorized user on my current Marriott CC account. He also had his own card that I cancelled last week with the intent to apply for the new card. I did not take him off my account as an authorized user. Today, he applied for the new card and was approved instantly. No issues at all. So, not sure if your wife being an authorized user on the old account would have mattered even though the CSR said you should wait.

Also, this offer expires July 5th so not sure how long I would wait since the 100,000 point bonus could disappear after that.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My husband is an authorized user on my current Marriott CC account. He also had his own card that I cancelled last week with the intent to apply for the new card. I did not take him off my account as an authorized user. Today, he applied for the new card and was approved instantly. No issues at all. So, not sure if your wife being an authorized user on the old account would have mattered even though the CSR said you should wait.

Also, this offer expires July 5th so not sure how long I would wait since the 100,000 point bonus could disappear after that.

I did ask about an expiration for the current promotion. She said they had not been given a hard end date and would get at least 30 days notice when a hard deadline will be. I will check back at the end of the month to ensure that is still true. If I get a different answer, DW can go ahead and apply. We're not in any rush, other than to ensure we don't miss the 100k bonus for her MR account.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
kds4, I'm glad you checked on the expiration for the current promotion. I noted the July 5th expiration date because that is what was in print in the advertisement that came up on the Marriott website. It's gone from there now so maybe they are extending it past then.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am thinking of waiting to get that card until our Marriott fees are due. It's good that Chase will know an end date to the offer.

I still don't know how I can use those points to my advantage. I don't stay in hotels, except occasionally on the coast, generally on our way to/from Maui or Kauai.

Jeffrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
How long does it take for the MR points to post ? I have received the new card and verified it, but have not yet used it. Was there any required spend after upgrading ? I honestly do not remember.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
How long does it take for the MR points to post ? I have received the new card and verified it, but have not yet used it. Was there any required spend after upgrading ? I honestly do not remember.
They may also not post until a full statement run. DW should be getting her card in the mail in the next few days. Though the number doesn't change and we have been using the existing plastic. I suspect we have already met the required transaction in order to qualify for the bonus.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe

Online on their website, it says $5k in purchase in first 3 months to receive the 100k MR Pts. Perhaps that's not required for the 10k MR Pts incentive for upgrades from the prior card?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Online on their website, it says $5k in purchase in first 3 months to receive the 100k MR Pts. Perhaps that's not required for the 10k MR Pts incentive for upgrades from the prior card?
The requirement varies depending on what you did. If you applied for a new card, the new card requires $5K in purchases. If you upgraded the card, it only requires a single purchase. @Jeffrey mentioned "upgrading", so that is the info I provided, but he could have meant getting a new card also.