• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help for II Exchange -- Ongoing vs Instant?

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Ka'anapali Beach Club (Diamond)
I have an unusual situation right now in that my son and DIL found out their vacation dates only six weeks out- she just graduated pharmacy school and the hospital she is interning in hired her full-time after her internship is over. So now they have one exactly week, and they want an admittedly difficult location - Central to Southern California the week of June 17-24. I placed one ongoing search as soon as we got the dates using an ocean view Ka'anapali Beach Club, but still have a Marriott MOC and one more KBC ocean view to use for instant searches. If anyone has great suggestions, I'm certainly open to any and all ideas.

If I understand what I’m reading in other threads, doing instant exchanges means just checking II frequently for an exchange? Can that pick up units that have been just released by other users, or do they only show up when the II computer does its updating at night? It's unfortunate that we have such a time limitation and I know it might be a pipe dream to hope something will turn up, but if finding something is possible, I'm happy to continue trying.

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this June 2018 or 2019? I'm confused because you would not be able to make an ongoing search request so close to the check in date of June 2018.

If it really is next week, you will need to check II manually about 10 times a day. Best results come after midnight (PST). Check again at 2 am. This is when the systems reload the inventory.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OGS does not work within 30 days of check in. You can put in that search but it is turned off internally so it won't get matched. You need to manually check.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Assuming that you mean this year, 2018, you need to be searching all the time. You should also put a sightings request on the sightings board. Then I would back it up with a cancellable cash reservation. Maybe check the last minute rental board and the marketplace, plus Redweek. This is a tall order.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, set up a getaway alert via II app. Sometimes last minute trades show up as getaway inventory also. You pretty much need to be checking constantly.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I understand what I’m reading in other threads, doing instant exchanges means just checking II frequently for an exchange? Can that pick up units that have been just released by other users, or do they only show up when the II computer does its updating at night? It's unfortunate that we have such a time limitation and I know it might be a pipe dream to hope something will turn up, but if finding something is possible, I'm happy to continue trying.

Yes, check each day many times until you get something good! Yes, you can definitely get stuff that someone with a OGS will not, it's the only way we trade. Could be a last minute cancellation for example. We have never used an OGS in 20+ years and love the inventory that we can get. You won't have a unit upgrade fee either. That all being said, it's very late! A weeks notice? Not sure if you will find much. I don't even see any getaways which is not a good sign.

I don't understand how you say they got their vacation dates 6 weeks out, but, the dates you show are one week out? Did you mean July perhaps?

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I apologize for the late thank yous to all who answered. My kitty was hospitalized for urinary blockage, but is now home and well.

The dates were for this year (less than two weeks-- I mentioned we had only been given six weeks' warning so I've been checking since early May); unfortunately, DIL's work schedule is now up in the air, so potential vacation dates are uncertain. But, I am so grateful for the wonderful advice! To have such great information is really invaluable for me. Though I'm a long-time owner, we didn't usually exchange. Since purchasing another KBC, however, I do usually have at least one week to exchange each year now. Fortunately I was able to use our week (which expires in November 2018) for son #1 in Vegas since he's going to see the Smashing Pumpkins in September. I was concerned about losing that week, so I'm relieved it is getting used.

Last edited:

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also, set up a getaway alert via II app. Sometimes last minute trades show up as getaway inventory also. You pretty much need to be checking constantly.

So if I download the app to be alerted to getaways, that last minute inventory may ALSO be available for trading? Or did you mean I could purchase a getaway?

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
So if I download the app to be alerted to getaways, that last minute inventory may ALSO be available for trading? Or did you mean I could purchase a getaway?

Sometimes the inventory is offered both via getaway and exchange, especially if it is the last minute. You will at least get an alert that a getaway is there - then you can log in to see if available as exchange.

NOTE: setting up alerts has been hit or miss the last few months. II has a glitch they haven't worked out. But, worth a try.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
How would you set up a getaway alert?

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I tried that yesterday. I could not get the app to load any requests. It wouldn't even allow the keyboard up so I could type in my request. It seems the app has a lot of bad reviews on Google Play.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
The app alert stopped working early this year but I just checked. Looks like it’s working again.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
It had broken on IOS as well, but appears to be back also. We were not able to add an alert previously, it just didn't work. Pretty bad QC!