• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Brian,
On Worldmark, majority of the timeshares require only 10,000 points for a 2BR. The MF is under $800 for 10K points.

I don't recall who provided the numbers for WM. But the decision was made to make it the AVERAGE 2 BR in High season. So I agree all the old resorts in WM were 10K NOT all of the new ones were, so it is NOT the lowest 2 BR but an average 2 BR. I know the 3 texas properties that I have looked at are 12K, 12.5K and 13K for a Standard 2 BR NOT the fancier Presidential 2 BRs either.

WM is already the cheapest on the list, so I wouldn't worry about it. When we did this a few weeks ago, it was agreed it was OK.

I did the Wyndham column, and I looked at every 2 BR unit across the board and took an average.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't recall who provided the numbers for WM. But the decision was made to make it the AVERAGE 2 BR in High season. So I agree all the old resorts in WM were 10K NOT all of the new ones were, so it is NOT the lowest 2 BR but an average 2 BR. I know the 3 texas properties that I have looked at are 12K, 12.5K and 13K for a Standard 2 BR NOT the fancier Presidential 2 BRs either.

WM is already the cheapest on the list, so I wouldn't worry about it. When we did this a few weeks ago, it was agreed it was OK.

I did the Wyndham column, and I looked at every 2 BR unit across the board and took an average.
I would majority of Worldmark resorts are 10K for 2BR in the high/red season. But I am not the one with the pen here.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
we just need to find a shell owner/expert to fill in the last few blanks!

Shell has "Home Clubs" such as West or Hawaii. You can reserve at 12 months in your home club (full week) or 9 months in any club. At 307 days, minimum stay goes to 2 days.

I'm not sure if 3900 is a good estimate of points for a 2 bedroom. Here are some examples, all using high season. FWIW - Many of our favorite resorts don't have 2 bedrooms.

9050 Vino Bello (Napa)
5600/6250 Whispering Woods (Welches, OR)
6450 Suites at Fisherman's Wharf (San Francisco)
6900 Sunset Plaza (Puerto Vallarta)
6350 Kona Coast Resort (Kailua - Kona)
3300 - 6200 Lawai Beach Resort (Kaloa)
3900 Peacock Suites (Anaheim)
5200 Crotched Mountain Resort (Francestown, NH)
6950 Desert Rose (Las Vegas)
4000 Foxhunt at Sapphire Valley (Sapphire, NC)
5350 Carriage Hill Resort (Barrie, Ontario)

So.....maybe 5900 or 6000 would be a closer estimate.

With regard to MF, I own West Club (I think Hawaii MF are higher). I believe there are 5 clubs each with their own MF. I own 15,500 points and my MF (including the club fee which is mandatory) were $3700.75 for 2017 which comes to $238.70 per thousand.

So. If the average points is 6000 then MF would be $1432.

Developer vs resale

Resale

No Lifestyles - this includes some nice foreign hotels, some Outrigger hotels, Canadian Ramadas (I'm assuming nicer than US) and some Wyndham Resorts. Also some bad deals for points to Spa or other credits (i.e. 1800 points for $200 gift card).

No Select Connections - An exchange into BlueGreen resorts.

No Credit toward Elite Status (now called Signature)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
would you consider the perks you lose buying resale to be significant or remotely worth the cost difference from retail?

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
would you consider the perks you lose buying resale to be significant or remotely worth the cost difference from retail?

Absolutely not worth the cost difference. However, I'm not sure it that's the same as saying they are minor/of no value. I see you say the WM differences are minor even though a number of them, such as Asia Pacific booking and Club Pass are pretty handy. By the same token, we are staying with BlueGreen in Chicago on a really good deal with the Shell Select Connections (some of our points are developer). But if WM differences are minor, then so are Shell.

If our points credited toward elite, we might not pay transaction fees but I can pay a lot of fees for what I saved.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
its definitely a hard item to discuss, i guess i use the litmus test of "would the average person looking to buy into this system consider paying full retail to obtain the extra benefits" as the difference between major and minor.

sure those items are likely very valuable to some, and those folks would pay the extra cost...but to most?

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Any plans to update the Shell portion with the new information?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes sorry!

if its not in my email inbox or todo list...sadly it usually gets missed :(

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
updated

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
I’m not an expert, rather a newbie, but I didn’t think the average maintenance fees for Marriott is $2500? Are there a few very high fees raising up that average?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the average is for a standard 2br unit...not the average overall maint fees.

Darcyd35

Reaction score
I have a question. We just attended a timeshare presentation for IHG. They had this cool thing where you could book a place 45 days in advance and only pay $3-500 for a weeks stay. They also had a points system.
I'm wondering if anyone else has done this?

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
I have a question. We just attended a timeshare presentation for IHG. They had this cool thing where you could book a place 45 days in advance and only pay $3-500 for a weeks stay. They also had a points system.
I'm wondering if anyone else has done this?
Thats an RCI thing not exclusive to IHG(Holiday inn Club Vacations)

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score

Do you have a spreadsheet that you used to calculate Wyndham 2BR average?

I'm looking for something with detail comparable to what I created for HICV and hoping someone has a starting point! Using Peak is tough because different resorts have different quantities of peak weeks. Some resorts might have peak for half a year, while others might have a super-peak that only lasts a few weeks. In my opinion the only way to get a true comparison number is to use annual points divided by 52.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HB00pcN4u116afQyKAG1iumSddSaSTmC8rf5OoeN9Yc/edit?usp=sharing

-Scott
Owner, HICV Google+ Group

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Do you have a spreadsheet that you used to calculate Wyndham 2BR average?

I'm looking for something with detail comparable to what I created for HICV and hoping someone has a starting point! Using Peak is tough because different resorts have different quantities of peak weeks. Some resorts might have peak for half a year, while others might have a super-peak that only lasts a few weeks. In my opinion the only way to get a true comparison number is to use annual points divided by 52.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HB00pcN4u116afQyKAG1iumSddSaSTmC8rf5OoeN9Yc/edit?usp=sharing

-Scott
Owner, HICV Google+ Group

I don't recall if I was that methodical. It was an exercise nearly a year ago. But since I don't recall calculating it all out in a spreadsheet, I suspect not. But let me go look at my files, maybe I have something.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't recall if I was that methodical. It was an exercise nearly a year ago. But since I don't recall calculating it all out in a spreadsheet, I suspect not. But let me go look at my files, maybe I have something.

I compiled the resort guide into a single table of points values to allow for easy analysis:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qg7jd4yPldw-HPWaPkVk1E68KsETwoIuyBFnJPulkgw/edit?usp=sharing

I took the annual points for the cheapest 2BR at each resort to come up with a median 2BR cost of 8.2M points (158K/week).

-Scott

SenorBlanco

Reaction score
Ah, but it was updated? The new version is linked right at the top of the 1st thread: http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/timeshare-system-comparison-chart.html

In fact, you are commenting in the discussion topic related to that very update! :) Perhaps what is called for is a short list of "strengths and weaknesses" for each column?

Would love an update on this like I mentioned in my topic about HGVC vs MVC. Being new, there appears to have been pretty significant changes/consolidations since this topic first posted. Understanding it’s subjective, but I love hearing (reading) those kinds of pros and cons as a newbie.

Gioconda79

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CAPITAL VACATIONS PIGEON FORGE, TN
Many of my vacations would cost me at least twice as much in the CASH Rental System. I use my cash to buy WorldMark points and get my vacations at a significant discount.
Are you saying that owning points is better than regular vacations ? I just got 500,000 points that will renew every year from Capital vacations. I was advised to rescind while I can. Please help me understand what you mean

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would submit that for Hyatt Residence Club, the difference between developer and resales ownership is Minor for weeks ownership. Currently it is set as Major. The only difference is the ability to covert to Hyatt hotel reward points. I agree that for HRC points, the difference is major. Perhaps an asterisk is warranted for this difference similar to the other programs?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
we can certainly update the original page, its years old now and might need some changes/additions!

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that owning points is better than regular vacations ? I just got 500,000 points that will renew every year from Capital vacations. I was advised to rescind while I can. Please help me understand what you mean
For me, owning resale timeshare points is more cost effective than renting something equivalent -- most especially for my holiday ski weeks. It would cost at least $1500/week more to rent a comparable 3 BR accommodation during those weeks.

The advice to rescind must have been in response to a retail purchase from a developer for more than $10,000? The buy-in cost makes the difference. Over the years, I have received enough AMEX gift cards from attending owner updates, that my buy-in cost for resale WorldMark credits is less than zero.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
we can certainly update the original page, its years old now and might need some changes/additions!
Count me in for updating the WorldMark info on the comparison chart. If the maintenance fee information is updated (probably the most important info to update), all of the programs will need to be updated to make the mf comparisons relevant and equivalent.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if you want to tackle the worldmark fields that need updating please do! ill update things as they come in or get posted here.

can likely get input from other systems to at the very least update the maint fee averages across the board for a 2br.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you want to tackle the worldmark fields that need updating please do! ill update things as they come in or get posted here.

can likely get input from other systems to at the very least update the maint fee averages across the board for a 2br.
Only the maintenance fee fields need updating for Wyndham and WorldMark. These are the 2021 maintenance fees.

$1130 for WorldMark 2 BR ($1130 is the total maintenance fee on a 12,000 credit account)

Club Wyndham Access is a good proxy for maintenance fees, since it represents a collection of deeds at resorts across the Club Wyndham system. MF is $6.61 per thousand points. So,

$1440 for Wyndham 2 BR ($6.61 times 190 plus $185 program fee)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I also wonder if there shouldn't be a link to the official TUG Advice articles included in the grid where it exists?