• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to do with 240 points (to save or not to save)...

Bsachetti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Boulevard and Flamingo
Looking for ideas... All of our travel for the year is booked and we have 240 points left which probably have a value of less than $50. It will cost me more to save them than they are worth.

Thanks!

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
delete

HGVC now charges $104 to deposit into RCI

Last edited:

mapsd

Reaction score
Can you gift points to another TUGGER without a fee?

Convert to HHonors?

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I'm in the same boat and have 460 pts left this year. I'm using my home week next year, so would pay to save them only if I later plan to borrow the 2020 pts for use in 2019. I wish HGVC let us use them for 2 years as Vistana does.

I could use my pts for a 1 night stay at an RCI pts resort within driving distance.
But with $50 RCI exchange fee and a $50? housekeeping fee, plus cost of my points, I'm not sure it's saving me anything...

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...Convert to HHonors?

Cannot convert current-year points to HH. Not even enuff to use for a hotel.
I might use 'em up by making an RCI booking for next year (no saving neeeded).
But only if there was a RCI I just had to go to. Otherwise, I'd let 'em expire.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had 330 of the "By Hilton Club" points left over. I booked a later reservation at Elara that used more of the "cheap" points than we had this year, so it used those points. Of course, I didn't do the maths and I called to have them reinstate those points and use next year's "cheap" points, Then I worked it out and realized that they were not worth saving based on MF ratio to fee. <Insert egg-on-face emoji>. Well, then I needed to add a night to Elara, so I then used those points. Of course, I could have called to "revert back," but this was easier.

Had we not had that reservation, though, I would not have saved them.

Cheer.s.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC used to have a thingy where you could donate your points and then HGVC would give or whatever them to a Veteran/soldier.
I'm not sure why they discontinued that program.

I might email them and request that they bring it back.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I think it all comes down to how likely you are to come up short up to 240 points for a vacation you want to take to maximize the rest of your points. If there is a good chance the 240 points will make the difference then it could totally be worth it to save them.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
or plan better next time and either take a larger unit or take an extra day. With HGVC it is always better to be in a borrow situation than a save situation. You always get to borrow for free, but you have to pay to save.

mapsd

Reaction score
.. You always get to borrow for free, but you have to pay to save.
Reverse logic, but it makes sense.

Expired HGVC points = profits for them.
Just like me selling a gift card that never gets used.
Not what I intended, but I don't cry when it happens.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We had 330 of the "By Hilton Club" points left over. I booked a later reservation at Elara that used more of the "cheap" points than we had this year, so it used those points. Of course, I didn't do the maths and I called to have them reinstate those points and use next year's "cheap" points, Then I worked it out and realized that they were not worth saving based on MF ratio to fee. <Insert egg-on-face emoji>. Well, then I needed to add a night to Elara, so I then used those points. Of course, I could have called to "revert back," but this was easier.

Had we not had that reservation, though, I would not have saved them.

Cheer.s.

Your thought about the points were not worth saving based on the MF ratio to fee brought to mind how I view it. When I speak to people about how much it costs me per night to stay in a particular time share I use the average maintenance fee per night dollar amount. For me it comes to around $60/night in a Studio or $120/ night in a standard 1 BR. However, when I figure out how much my points are worth to ME, I use the cost of a prime hotel room, since I usually stay in Honolulu, in Honolulu in the winter which is about $300/night. I pay my timeshare maintenance fee and then get to use the points to get a certain amount of vacation per year. Those are my costs per night. If I had to pay for hotel stays instead of using my points that is the value to ME of those points.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I would use my points for a one night stay, say in Honolulu or Vegas, but the website only books for minimum 3 days.
If it's Open season, will website let us book just one night? I've only seen cash prices for open season. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place on website.
Or do I need to call customer service reservations and get charged a $60+ reservation fee?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
YHowever, when I figure out how much my points are worth to ME, I use the cost of a prime hotel room, since I usually stay in Honolulu, in Honolulu in the winter which is about $300/night. I pay my timeshare maintenance fee and then get to use the points to get a certain amount of vacation per year. Those are my costs per night. If I had to pay for hotel stays instead of using my points that is the value to ME of those points.

You make a good point. However, at present we have a few more points than we need (yeah, ain't that odd) to the point where we've made some reservations for "friends." :)

In retirement, though, these will not be too many.

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
You make a good point. However, at present we have a few more points than we need (yeah, ain't that odd) to the point where we've made some reservations for "friends." :)

In retirement, though, these will not be too many.

Cheers.
We haven't worked for 10 years so we don"t know how that world is anymore. When we were working and had too many points for our vacation time off we had we would book and rent. During prime time we got $2500/week for the HGVC South Beach or about $350/night. However, I agree if you have too many points and don't need them and won't rent them, then they have no value. If you can use them for some vacation even if it is next year or the year after, then they have the at least the value that I suggest; one night prime hotel cost in an area that you vacation in frequently.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If it's Open season, will website let us book just one night? I've only seen cash prices for open season. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place on website.

Open Season bookings have a 2N minimum and are cash only.
The Open Season and Club booking windows overlap each other.
Within 30d, you can choose either points (3N+) or cash (2N+).

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I would have paid to save them. Right now I am short 160 points I need to trade in 2019 and would be glad to pay for an extention.

If someone has these extra points are they allowed to sell them or gift me them?

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would have paid to save them. Right now I am short 160 points I need to trade in 2019 and would be glad to pay for an extention.

If someone has these extra points are they allowed to sell them or gift me them?

I believe so.

We did have the 3-way call today and....... it was a success :banana:

It took a few minutes and I received the points in my account. However it seems to be luck of the draw as I had to call twice, the first club counselor said it wasn’t possible so I hung up and called back - I would take no for an answer :D

The second counselor said sure, I asked if he could start the 3-way call, he couldn’t. So I initiated the 3way call with Arimaas and hgvc.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Here is the thread @Seagila got their info from. I have a couple of friends who are HGVC members. One has quite a few points and either sells them or gives them to the other when they know they won’t use them all.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/transferring-points-from-one-member-to-another.272340/

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I believe so.
Here is the thread @Seagila got their info from. I have a couple of friends who are HGVC members. One has quite a few points and either sells them or gives them to the other when they know they won’t use them all.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/transferring-points-from-one-member-to-another.272340/
Good to know. Now I have to find someone to get my needed points from. Too bad hgvc doesn’t let their member buy extra points if they are short a little.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

I would not use the word "sell" or any indication of money exchange, IMO, on the 3-way call with Hilton.
Also, the transfer-er (? haha) cannot transfer SAVED points to the transfer-ee.

I'm not sure if future points can be transferred.

I know current year's points can be transferred.

We had a bit of a wait on the phone with the transfer because Hilton's system kept trying to transfer the saved points and they can't do that (although sounds to me like it's more of a policy vs. limitation of the system). so they had to manually do things, I believe.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not use the word "sell" or any indication of money exchange, IMO, on the 3-way call with Hilton.

Agreed. There are certain things that one may, or may not, do with ones points that should not be shared with HGVC in detail. Trips booked for "friends" are an example as well :)

Cheers.