• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need health insurance

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
my sister lost her job, went on cobra and that is expiring soon. She needs six months of insurance until Medicare. No one is returning her phone calls about insurance. She has no income until she starts her ss and small pension, but she has savings. I recall this topic being discussed here with numerous suggestions. She lives in Illinois

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
6 month vacation to another country with free/cheap healthcare could work.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in Illinois. I suggest this contact. VERY knowledgeable.

Eric Gorelik
Agent/Broker
Mobile:(847)691-7550
Fax:(630)261-1051
1900 S. Highland Ave, Suite 203
Lombard, IL 60148

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If she has no pre-existing conditions that will need treatment in those six months, a sharing ministry would be perfect. She will pay $150-$200 per month, and a gift amount (nominal). Depending on the plan, if she has an illness or injury, her out-of-pocket bills may be $500. The rest would be covered by the plan. Prescriptions are on your own too, so if hers are expensive, that may not be feasible.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the government subsidized policies an option? With only 6 months the deductibles don't make it the best option, but with her income level it may not be very expensive depending on what she was making this year. I assume she has not worked much at all in the year. Not sure what mid year does to those, but I would look into it unless one of our TUG experts can chime in.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the government subsidized policies an option? With only 6 months the deductibles don't make it the best option, but with her income level it may not be very expensive depending on what she was making this year. I assume she has not worked much at all in the year. Not sure what mid year does to those, but I would look into it unless one of our TUG experts can chime in.
No one is returning calls for these programs

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
No one is returning calls for these programs

I have seen news reports that money is not being spent on the administration of healthcare.

here is the website

https://www.healthcare.gov/

I tried moving through and it didn't seem to work. It just spins at me when I try to see if I can enroll. There is a phone number on the site.

good luck
unfortunately you are going to need it.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are SOME employers who offer Health Insurance to (older) part-time help ... check Walmart as they hire OLDER people as greeters. A 2nd cousin did this after his wife died and he needed help to pay household bils without her SS check.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are SOME employers who offer Health Insurance to (older) part-time help ... check Walmart as they hire OLDER people as greeters. A 2nd cousin did this after his wife died and he needed help to pay household bils without her SS check.
We have tried to persuade her to do that

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
If she has no pre-existing condition, she might try http://www.agilehealthinsurance.com They sell 90 day Short Term Policies but she can stack two 90 day policies until Medicare kicks in. If all she needs is catastrophic coverage, a policy with a high deductible shouldn't cost too much...

George

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back in the pre-ACA days, when I retired and had to find insurance until Medicare eligible (sound familiar?) I enlisted an independent insurance agent. It was much more efficient than trying to call carriers myself. As it turned out, we (DW & I) had to alternate each 6 months between BCBS and a Regence short-term- high deductible policy. In the end it was lousy insurance that really didn't cover anything unless we were hit by a bus or got cancer, then it would have (maybe) delayed bankruptcy. Fortunately we never had to use it.

Anyway, bottom line: Get a local independent insurance agent involved.

Jim

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, they are not returning phone calls

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
If she has no pre-existing condition, she might try http://www.agilehealthinsurance.com They sell 90 day Short Term Policies but she can stack two 90 day policies until Medicare kicks in. If all she needs is catastrophic coverage, a policy with a high deductible shouldn't cost too much...

George
Thanks sent link to my sister