• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2014 ] How to cancel Westgate Timeshare

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure these are the same infamous Westgate we are used to dealing with (the Ocoee bunch), or some interloper. We don't trust them. You shouldn't either.

A very charitable and polite bit of understatement...;)

mags76

Reaction score
Thank you

Thanks for the advice, we will be sending it to both addresses. One final question, we're in Canada and we're gonna send this via registered mail through Canada Post. Is there anything we should do to cover our asses by verifying that the contents of the envelope contain the above letter? Is getting a photocopy of the letter before we send it enough legal-wise?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not really familiar with the differences between Canada Post and USPS. If you get a receipt that it's sent, then you're good to go. If not, photocopy and date-stamp a copy. We recommend sending a COPY of the original contract along with the letter for identification purposes, and of course if both you and the wife signed it (or anyone else) both of those signatures need to be on the rescission.

I also don't know the difference between 'Registered' and 'Certified' in Canada Post. We would just send it 'Certified here' It's Cheaper.

Glad you found us.....

Jim

Last edited:

lovebug143

Reaction score
Hi, I have another question, they received my cancellation later april 23 before my cancellation days end. and today i got welcome letter instead?what am i gonna do?i also mail everything including the stuff they gave.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
....they received my cancellation later april 23 before my cancellation days end. and today i got welcome letter instead?what am i gonna do?i also mail everything including the stuff they gave.

You've double posted this question and it was answered already in another thread. The welcome letter was automatically generated shortly after you signed the contract. It is now irrelevant and meaningless with a timely submitted rescission already in process since then. Just "welcome" that "welcome" letter right into your recycling bin.

Your timely submitted rescission will be processed, although it could (lawfully) take up to 45 days before you actually have the refund of your deposit firmly in hand.

Last edited:

lovebug143

Reaction score
You've double posted this question and it was answered already in another thread. The welcome letter was automatically generated shortly after you signed the contract. It is now irrelevant and meaningless with a timely submitted rescission already in process since then. Just "welcome" that "welcome" letter right into your recycling bin.

Your timely submitted rescission will be processed, although it could (lawfully) take up to 45 days before you actually have the refund of your deposit firmly in hand.

I just noticed it was been double questions. LOL .. But Thank you for replying me. :)

Drewski

Reaction score
Didnt want to start a new thread..

I followed to whole process to cancel a timeshare. All within the 10 days.

Agent of course called the first day he got the news and someone answered the call. he mentioned we were doing it wrong and we just told him to call back and now he calls pretty much everyday.

Do I wanna hear what is the problem or just keep ignoring calls?

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Didnt want to start a new thread..

I followed to whole process to cancel a timeshare. All within the 10 days.

Agent of course called the first day he got the news and someone answered the call. he mentioned we were doing it wrong and we just told him to call back and now he calls pretty much everyday.

Do I wanna hear what is the problem or just keep ignoring calls?

The sales person has ZERO input on your recession - he just wants to talk you out of it and save his commission.

An entirely different department handles recessions.

DON'T CALL!

VictorE

Reaction score
Question: I send my cancellation yesterday and they received it today, should I be expecting a call from them anytime soon, also what happens if they don’t call me at all should I be worried? Don’t want them to withdraw payments from my account. Please send me some advice thank you

VictorE

Reaction score
Travel club, similar to timeshare cancellation?

My wife and I made the mistake of signing up for the westgate travel club (not a timeshare) in orlando on August 18th, we should've been suspicious that their claims were too good to be true. Now we're just looking for confirmation on how to cancel. It says that the contract must be cancelled within 3 days, is that true or does the 10 day thing mentioned above apply to this also? Should we use
Code:
Westgate LTD
2801 Old Winter Garden Rd
Ocoee Florida 34761
or is that just for timeshares? On the contract it says
Code:
blah blah contract between us and "central florida investments inc, a Florida corporation, D/B/A westgate travel ("sponsor") whose address is 5601 windhover drive, orlando, florida 32819"

Is that just their corporate office or where we need to actually send the cancellation request?

Sorry about any typos/gramatical mistakes, it's 5AM and I just went online to check out how "awesome" our new "investment" was and it turned into a bit of a nightmare.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew

I send my cancellation letter yesterday and found out that they received it today, no one has call me yet, should I be worried or should I just let it be if I don’t hear from them. Don’t want them to take payments from my bank account please help

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I send my cancellation letter yesterday and found out that they received it today, no one has call me yet, should I be worried or should I just let it be if I don’t hear from them. Don’t want them to take payments from my bank account please help

If you have proof that they received your recession letter then you don't need to do anything> Count yourself lucky if they don't call you! The only reason they will call is to try to talk you out of cancelling or to sell you something else. If they call just tell them you aren't interested and hang up.

~Diane

VictorE

Reaction score
If you have proof that they received your recession letter then you don't need to do anything> Count yourself lucky if they don't call you! The only reason they will call is to try to talk you out of cancelling or to sell you something else. If they call just tell them you aren't interested and hang up.

~Diane
Thank you so much!

VictorE

Reaction score

~Diane

Will I be receiving a notification in the mail about cancellation or a paper saying that we are no longer WestGate customers?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will I be receiving a notification in the mail about cancellation or a paper saying that we are no longer WestGate customers?
No news is good news. They are under no obligation to inform you of anything. Just watch the account you paid the down payment from for a credit. It can take up to 45 days. Probably won't. Yes, it's stressful, but beats dealing with the likes of Wastegate any more. Congrats on rescinding.

Jim

VictorE

Reaction score
No news is good news. They are under no obligation to inform you of anything. Just watch the account you paid the down payment from for a credit. It can take up to 45 days. Probably won't. Yes, it's stressful, but beats dealing with the likes of Wastegate any more. Congrats on rescinding.

Jim

What happens if for whatever reason they do withdraw a payment what should be my next step since I have proof they received my resignation?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
What happens if for whatever reason they do withdraw a payment what should be my next step since I have proof they received my resignation?

No need to worry at all. They must comply with state law; as a result your money will be refunded within that 45 day time frame. Relax; no need to sweat it out.

Kimmi592

Reaction score
We signed up for a timeshare with Westgate on the 24th, immediately after we left I started freaking out. I sent in the cancellation letter today (26th) through USPS certified mail with return receipt. I sent one to the resort address also just in case. I also mailed back the tablet and the welcome kit. There was no address for that so I mailed it to the same address as the cancellation letter. (This is for Florida btw). So I have 10 days. I just want to make sure I did everything right and didn’t miss a step. I didn’t see very many instructions. Just to put it in wiring. Should we be ok? They have to cancel it right? Also, does the cancellation begin the day I sent the letter? Or when they get it? What if they get it after 10 days even though I sent it today??

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We signed up for a timeshare with Westgate on the 24th, immediately after we left I started freaking out. I sent in the cancellation letter today (26th) through USPS certified mail with return receipt. I sent one to the resort address also just in case. I also mailed back the tablet and the welcome kit. There was no address for that so I mailed it to the same address as the cancellation letter. (This is for Florida btw). So I have 10 days. I just want to make sure I did everything right and didn’t miss a step. I didn’t see very many instructions. Just to put it in wiring. Should we be ok? They have to cancel it right? Also, does the cancellation begin the day I sent the letter? Or when they get it? What if they get it after 10 days even though I sent it today??

The effective date of the cancellation is the date of the Postmark on the certified receipt copy that you have hopefully retained for your records.

It doesn't matter when they receive it but it DOES matter when you mail it. Basically, if it gets lost in the mail for a month they will still have to honor it.