• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New 2018 Marriott/SPG credit cards - Deadlines AMEX 8/25/18 and VISA 12/31/18

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
I applied for the 100K card and got rejected via mail because I already had an existing Marriott credit card. I have had this card for years, so have not received a bonus within the last 24 months.

So if I close my current card, how long do I need to wait to apply for the new card for 75K bonus?? Or will they reject my application since I recently applied for the new card??

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I applied for the 100K card and got rejected via mail because I already had an existing Marriott credit card. I have had this card for years, so have not received a bonus within the last 24 months.

So if I close my current card, how long do I need to wait to apply for the new card for 75K bonus?? Or will they reject my application since I recently applied for the new card??

We were told by Chase to close the old account and wait 30 days before trying to apply for the new card. However, since you have already applied for the new card, I am unsure whether this approach will still work for you. Hate to have you close the old card, wait, reapply for the new card and possibly get rejected again (and be left without a Marriott card - especially if you want to maintain a Marriott CC) ... Good Luck.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not try the cancel and wait 30 days thing, and I simply accepted their offer to upgrade for 20K.

You should call Chase, they may see you accepting the 20K upgrade as a person that has already received an incentive for the card and ultimately making you wait 2 years to get another sign up bonus.

I was rejected because I had still had a small balance on the old card even though it had been closed for a while. CSR told me to pay the balance and then reapply and all should be good. But, I never took the upgrade offer.

StevenTing - question for you. At the time you got the new card, did you have a balance on the old. Just double checking to see if what happened to me is correct.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You should call Chase, they may see you accepting the 20K upgrade as a person that has already received an incentive for the card and ultimately making you wait 2 years to get another sign up bonus.

I was rejected because I had still had a small balance on the old card even though it had been closed for a while. CSR told me to pay the balance and then reapply and all should be good. But, I never took the upgrade offer.

StevenTing - question for you. At the time you got the new card, did you have a balance on the old. Just double checking to see if what happened to me is correct.
I am not pursuing the 75K bonus, happy with the 20K with a once only spending requirement.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score

I did have a balance in the form of current charges for the billing period. Nothing from the previous billing period. On 5/9, I had a balance of $153.31 from a current hotel stay. A payment posted to my account on 5/11, which means that I made a payment on 5/9 (since Chase takes 2 days to post online).

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

BigMac

Reaction score
So, in other words, apply now before the restrictions take effect (August 26).

Good luck trying to do that. Here is the frequent milers view on the new restrictions.

"As has been rumored for a while, View from the Wing has confirmed new restrictions coming on the Marriott and Starwood credit cards. In a nutshell (more details to follow), those who have opened new Marriott, SPG, or Ritz credit cards in the last 2 years or who had one within the 30 days prior to applying will not be eligible for most new Marriott/SPG welcome offers. This is going to effectively lock most of us out from these bonuses for the next couple of years and make it difficult if not impossible to stack together multiple cards for multiple annual free night awards in the future."

Here is their full analysis.
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2018/07/27/new-marriott-spg-card-restrictions/

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck trying to do that. Here is the frequent milers view on the new restrictions.

"As has been rumored for a while, View from the Wing has confirmed new restrictions coming on the Marriott and Starwood credit cards. In a nutshell (more details to follow), those who have opened new Marriott, SPG, or Ritz credit cards in the last 2 years or who had one within the 30 days prior to applying will not be eligible for most new Marriott/SPG welcome offers. This is going to effectively lock most of us out from these bonuses for the next couple of years and make it difficult if not impossible to stack together multiple cards for multiple annual free night awards in the future."

Here is their full analysis.
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2018/07/27/new-marriott-spg-card-restrictions/

Hmm, I guess I read it differently than you. I added bold to your post above. Those restrictions are not in place yet. Thus my suggestion. You will note many are receiving their bonuses just fine. The original article said the same, it is not here yet. I don't believe this is retroactive.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
We all should be so lucky!
Our maintenance fees at Westin St John have gone down for 6 consecutive years (they were rather high to start with...and not yet cheap).

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Crossed the threshold, June 3, still waiting for points to post. Chase said they were sent out to Marriott....still waiting.
When did your first statement after June 3rd run?

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Crossed the threshold, June 3, still waiting for points to post. Chase said they were sent out to Marriott....still waiting.
When did your first statement after June 3rd run?

That is a long time for the bonus points to post. Nanceetom, I'm curious too on what day of month your billing period ends.

When I got a hold of a Chase rep the other day, she told me DH would get his bonus points in the billing cycle following the one in which we met the required spend amount. She also said Chase gives points only once a month, which makes sense, sort of. Our billing cycle ends on the 9th of each month, and we charged approx $5200 in the June 10-July 9 cycle. DH got 2x per dollar, so 10400 MRP in his account on July 10. The rep thought the bonus pts would be deposited after the end of next cycle, so no earlier than Aug 10. I questioned why Chase couldn't have deposited the bonus pts on July 10 along with the 2X points for the charge spend, but she didn't have an answer. I hope the Chase rep was right :ponder: on her Aug 10 estimate

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
That is a long time for the bonus points to post. Nanceetom, I'm curious too on what day of month your billing period ends.

When I got a hold of a Chase rep the other day, she told me DH would get his bonus points in the billing cycle following the one in which we met the required spend amount. She also said Chase gives points only once a month, which makes sense, sort of. Our billing cycle ends on the 9th of each month, and we charged approx $5200 in the June 10-July 9 cycle. DH got 2x per dollar, so 10400 MRP in his account on July 10. The rep thought the bonus pts would be deposited after the end of next cycle, so no earlier than Aug 10. I questioned why Chase couldn't have deposited the bonus pts on July 10 along with the 2X points for the charge spend, but she didn't have an answer. I hope the Chase rep was right :ponder: on her Aug 10 estimate
I know for my wife's account, from upgrading her card (not a new application), that the 50,000 bonus points posted right along with the spend points.

Davidr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone open an Amex business credit card or do you need to have an actual business with an tax id number?

ann824

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just applied and the application did not ask for my tax id number. It asked if I had an existing account and I guess it used my ss from my regular amex.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fantastic!! Our 100k points posted today. I also confirmed a question I was concerned about if Marriott was still going to give the 6x points for MFs and I can say that we did get the 6x points so that is still a huge bonus.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I plan to upgrade my current MR Visa prior to our upcoming trip Labor Day week so I can take advantage of the higher point values for Marriott spend. I paid my annual fee a few months ago but haven't yet received my annual night certificate. Does anyone know whether I will still receive this certificate if I upgrade my card now?

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
My annual fee was not the same as my anniversary date from my last credit card upgrade: annual fee due in December and anniversary date May. I had upgraded last time in May because I wanted the free night in the summer through the Fall since it was only good for six months at that time.

For this credit card upgrade I was in the same situation as you - going on vacation and waiting for my free night certificate. I had received the email that I was getting the free night but had not yet received it. I called Marriott Rewards to ask if I should wait to upgrade. The person on the phone was all confused about annual fee time and anniversary date. He told me the that I already earned the free night and I will get it. Therefore I upgraded before our trip. My fee was prorated and refunded to my account and the free night did not post to my account in May like it always did. About six weeks after I expected the e-certificate I called Marriott Rewards and the nice lady added a free night certificate to our account which is flagged as a cancelled reservation. If I had to do it again I would wait until the night posts to my account before upgrading my credit card.