• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Ko Olina versus HGVC Lagoon Tower

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year, my family (26 of us) had a family vacation at the HGVC Lagoon Tower. Majority has decided on Hawaii again and initially, majority decided on Ko Olina to try something new.

But now, I am getting some change of heart and some are thinking Lagoon may be a better option. Here are their concerns:

- There is nothing to do nearby Ko'Olina. I understand that Waikiki is more central to attractions, but aren't there some attractions that are closer/easier to get to from Marriott?

- No restaurants outside of marriott within walking distance. I though I read somewhere there are shuttles to a marina?

Please help me to highlight the pluses of Ko Olina over Lagoon :)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Wow. That's a lot of people to coordinate.

We were at both resorts this year. Ko Olina is fairly remote. There is a shuttle at Ko Olina that takes you to the local strip mall in the resort area with a few restaurants. We also saw a waterpark close by but did not use it. There might be some charters out of the marina too. You have to drive to all attractions but we didn't go to any because we stayed in Waikiki earlier in the trip and wanted to relax. There are some nice beaches and a hiking trail if you drive north.

Each resort had benefits depending on what your family wants to do.

Last edited:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. That's a lot of people to coordinate.

We were at both resorts this year. Ko Olina is fairly remote. There is a shuttle at Ko Olina that takes you to the local strip mall in the resort area with a few restaurants. We also saw a waterpark close by but did not use it. There might be some charters out of the marina too. You have to drive to all attractions but we didn't go to any because we stayed in Waikiki earlier in the trip and wanted to relax. There are some nice beaches and a hiking trail if you drive north.

Each resort had benefits depending on what your family wants to do.

LOL, I know, it's super exhausting but to look back on the laughs and the pictures, makes it all worth it but there are times that I want to bang my head!!! LOL

I think their main concern is nothing to do at night and lack of restaurants nearby. Which one did you prefer?

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
There's a Roy's and a Monkey Pod kitchen within walking distance from Ko Olina. Other restaurants nearby in Kapolei proper.
If you plan on renting cars then more restaurants come into play. While traffic during the rush hours can be difficult, a non-rush hour drive to Waikiki can be accomplished in less than 45 minutes.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I think their main concern is nothing to do at night and lack of restaurants nearby. Which one did you prefer?

Those are valid concerns if that is important to them. There are upscale hotel restaurants and two or so in the resort area, but with a group that large, you many run out of moderately priced options very quickly without driving.

On the other hand if you love having a family bbq and cooking family meals using the TS kitchens to eat by the beach, Ko Olina has BBQs whereas Lagoon does not.

Personally, I prefer a vacation that would encompass both with half the trip in Waikiki and half the trip with relaxation time at Ko Olina. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are valid concerns if that is important to them. There are upscale hotel restaurants and two or so in the resort area, but with a group that large, you many run out of moderately priced options very quickly without driving.

On the other hand if you love having a family bbq and cooking family meals using the TS kitchens to eat by the beach, Ko Olina has BBQs whereas Lagoon does not.

Personally, I prefer a vacation that would encompass both with half the trip in Waikiki and half the trip with relaxation time at Ko Olina. But that's just me.

That's exactly one of the reasons why I liked Ko Olina, there are BBQ grills so having a family BBQ day where everyone hangs out at the same time is nice. But we do that one day out of the whole week LOL. With 26 people, the way we do it is we have 2 outings/things to do where everyone goes. Last year, it was a family dinner out, luau and a family photo shoot. The rest of the time, everyone is free to do or join in on whatever is going on for the day, whether it's hiking, beach day, tours etc. and we just communicate via large group text.

We also have a few non-drivers and worried that they might not have enough to do if they want to skip tours. A number of people in the family enjoyed being able to walk around at night in the various stores and just people watching. I take it things close early by Ko Olina?

I just completely hate the parking situation at Hilton. We park at Hale Koa rather than seeing $50 per day in parking so it's a walk just to get the car, pick everyone at the lobby then vice versa. I think I need to start asking for tips for that door to door service LOL!!

Completely agree with splitting up the trip but doing that with 26 people is task that I do not want to undertake LOL, doing it once is enough for me!

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There's a Roy's and a Monkey Pod kitchen within walking distance from Ko Olina. Other restaurants nearby in Kapolei proper.
If you plan on renting cars then more restaurants come into play. While traffic during the rush hours can be difficult, a non-rush hour drive to Waikiki can be accomplished in less than 45 minutes.

Thanks! So rush hour drive to Waikiki is more than 45 minutes? What is the rush hour drive time?

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Ever thought about Maui Ocean Club on Kaanapali Beach? It's the perfect location for those who like to just relax, those who want dining within walking distance, or those who want activities nearby. A great mix!

Ko Olina has some restaurant/activities, but if you want a lot of options you may need to hop in the car. I can't speak for HGVC Lagoon Tower, but after being to Waikiki a few times....I generally prefer to stay at Ko Olina...outside of the urban hustle and bustle in HNL.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ever thought about Maui Ocean Club on Kaanapali Beach? It's the perfect location for those who like to just relax, those who want dining within walking distance, or those who want activities nearby. A great mix!

Ko Olina has some restaurant/activities, but if you want a lot of options you may need to hop in the car. I can't speak for HGVC Lagoon Tower, but after being to Waikiki a few times....I generally prefer to stay at Ko Olina...outside of the urban hustle and bustle in HNL.

Maui was considered but the cost to book (using points) was more than what my family wanted to spend. Also, I was worried about availability booking through II (not enough availability) for the new towers with the full kitchen. With 26 people, preferably need two 3BR units, two 2BR units and 2 studios/1BR units.

Completely agree much prefer outside of Waikiki, I work in Manhattan all my life and have enough of the hustle and bustle but it's the annual family vacation so I want to make sure all have a great time.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
An very interesting question...so here are some thoughts.

I can't imagine being stuck in Ko Olina without a car. But you wouldn't need a car for everyone every day at HHV. On the other hand, Lagoon Tower 2BRs hold 6 people while Ko Olina (and MOC) hold 8.

But given your requirements I would give MOC another look. Particularly if you can make do with only one 'real' kitchen in the new towers and the rest in the older ones.

Aviator621

TUG Member
Reaction score
Other activity options in Ko Olina: golf; luaus--can choose between Fia Fia on site or Paradise Cove. Great snorkeling in the lagoon. And several catamaran cruises launch out of the marina next door. But yeah, night life, not so much. (although some great but expensive restaurants at Aulani and Four Seasons at the other end of the lagoon path).

IF you all have cars, North Shore (with Dole Plantation) and Windward side much easier to get to from Ko Olina.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year, my family (26 of us) had a family vacation at the HGVC Lagoon Tower. Majority has decided on Hawaii again and initially, majority decided on Ko Olina to try something new.

But now, I am getting some change of heart and some are thinking Lagoon may be a better option. Here are their concerns:

- There is nothing to do nearby Ko'Olina. I understand that Waikiki is more central to attractions, but aren't there some attractions that are closer/easier to get to from Marriott?

- No restaurants outside of marriott within walking distance. I though I read somewhere there are shuttles to a marina?

Please help me to highlight the pluses of Ko Olina over Lagoon :)
We just returned from a 3 week trips, a week each at Marriott's on Maui, Oahu and Kauai (Waiohai), many thanks to ALL of those who helped us sort through the issues/options. We had 15 people on Oahu and 13 for Kauai. The 15 was divided into 2 distinct groups of 6 & 9. We had 2 vehicles, a 15 passenger plus a minivan on Oahu, 2 minivans on Kauai. We had a mix of pool days and sightseeing. Ko Olina is a much different vibe than Waikiki. For the north shore and as far in as Pearl Harbour, it's roughly the same or better driving. Obviously for anything from the airport over to the Windward side and around to diamond head, it's much closer. Though I'd say the only real advantage for Waikiki is for that area around toward diamond head now that H3 is open. I would not do the 15 passenger van again, too difficult and aggravating getting around and parking. For 26 I'd do 4 minivans if you want vehicles the entire time. It really just depends on what you want to do. For us we'd do Ko Olina again. I'd second Maui and add Kauai to the recommendations depending on air options. What you pay extra in air you might save in vehicles/parking. For Golf my group really enjoyed Makaha though I didn't go.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, All! It really helps to have a forum like this. Not just for the information but to me, it also serves as a support function for vacation planning - especially for these large family vacations. Hard to explain and discuss all these nuances/challenges of booking, planning with most people since they are not familiar with timeshare in's and out's!

I'm going to go back to the drawing board and make a list of pros and cons, costs between MKO, HHV and MOC :)

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
3BR units at MOC are tough to book, if that unit size is important to you. There are many MKO 3BRs in the Trust but very few at MOC. Hopefully you can consider other unit sizes to meet your requirements.

Best,

Greg

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
3BR units at MOC are tough to book, if that unit size is important to you. There are many MKO 3BRs in the Trust but very few at MOC. Hopefully you can consider other unit sizes to meet your requirements.

Best,

Greg
Agreed. For this past summer, I was able to snag 3BR's with DC points fairly easily at MKO, and Kauai Lagoons, but in my pre-booking searches (a couple years in advance) as well as when I went to book MOC 13 months out, I never saw a single 3BR available in the DC.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed. For this past summer, I was able to snag 3BR's with DC points fairly easily at MKO, and Kauai Lagoons, but in my pre-booking searches (a couple years in advance) as well as when I went to book MOC 13 months out, I never saw a single 3BR available in the DC.

I assume my assumption was correct in that getting II trades for MOC Lahiana and even the original buildings for week before Memorial week is tough? Also, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the distance between the new and original buildings is a bit of an inconvenience?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I assume my assumption was correct in that getting II trades for MOC Lahiana and even the original buildings for week before Memorial week is tough? Also, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the distance between the new and original buildings is a bit of an inconvenience?
The distance between the old towers and the new Napili tower is about the same as between Lagoon and the Grand Waikiki - though you do have to ever so briefly go outside which means you might get rained on. The distance to the new Lahaina tower is about the same though I don't remember if it is all covered. Also, the vast majority of the parking at MOC is in a parking structure next to the Lahaina tower with a much smaller structure next to Napili.

As for II trading into MOC I have no direct experience...I've just read TUG reports of people being able to do both new and old but that old is easier. And as GregT pointed out 3BRs at MOC are not easy to get without owning or renting...kind of like the Penthouse 3BRs at Lagoon.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The distance between the old towers and the new Napili tower is about the same as between Lagoon and the Grand Waikiki - though you do have to ever so briefly go outside which means you might get rained on. The distance to the new Lahaina tower is about the same though I don't remember if it is all covered. Also, the vast majority of the parking at MOC is in a parking structure next to the Lahaina tower with a much smaller structure next to Napili.

As for II trading into MOC I have no direct experience...I've just read TUG reports of people being able to do both new and old but that old is easier. And as GregT pointed out 3BRs at MOC are not easy to get without owning or renting...kind of like the Penthouse 3BRs at Lagoon.

Thanks, that's helpful to know. Funny you mention the 3BR Penthouses at Lagoon. In our trip this year, we had 2 3BR Penthouse units- one direct oceanfront Ilikai side and the other oceanview on the Diamond head side with a direct view of Diamond head while having breakfast in the dining room table. I think I upped the expectations way too much in the last trip with those 2 units LOL, which is why I think is part of the reason for wanting to go back :)

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention the 3BR Penthouses at Lagoon.... :)
We were actually in our 2BR OF at Lagoon last week...it is probably our favorite timeshare resort/room. We're in Waiohai on Poipu Beach in Kauai now and I've been trying to decide if it should be a consideration for you all as well.

On the positive side, it is ON Poipu Beach with great snorkeling and swimming steps from your room. Ourstanding wildlife as well...there is a monk seal mom and pup on the beach right now. The restaurants of Poipu Village Shopping Center and the Poipu Beach Athletic Club are walkable more or less right across the street. And trading into Waiohai seems to be more achievable than MOC.

On the other hand, there are only 2BRs here. And while Kauai is a garden paradise and Koloa is a great little town, the south shore of Kauai is no where near as urban as Waikiki or Kaanapali.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I just wanted to close the loop on this and thanks to all that replied - Family has now come around to staying at Ko Olina for the 2019 trip Yayay!!!

Now I will start other threads regarding the resort :)

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
So, I just wanted to close the loop on this and thanks to all that replied - Family has now come around to staying at Ko Olina for the 2019 trip Yayay!!!

Now I will start other threads regarding the resort :)
Stayed in a 3BR top floor at KoOlina this summer... first time at this resort....and we loved it. I would put it a close 2nd behind MOC, and only give MOC the advantage because of the other options (restaurants/shopping, etc) within walking distance of MOC on Kaanapali Beach. As a resort itself... KoOlina is a great property!!!

Last edited:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Stayed in a 3BR top floor at KoOlina this summer... first time at this resort....and we loved it. I would put it a close 2nd behind MOC, and only give MOC the advantage because of the other options (restaurants/shopping, etc) within walking distance of MOC on Kaanapali Beach. As a resort itself... KoOlina is a great property!!!

Was it mountain or ocean view? How did you book it? I booked an ocean view with DC points and hoping the amount of points is worth it!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Was it mountain or ocean view? How did you book it? I booked an ocean view with DC points and hoping the amount of points is worth it!
Ocean View booked with DC points like you. Here are a couple of pics from the balcony (we were in the Nai'a tower).....

40462733415_ba2fe6273d_z.jpg

41316860702_49e4664523_z.jpg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Ocean View booked with DC points like you. Here are a couple of pics from the balcony (we were in the Nai'a tower).....

40462733415_ba2fe6273d_z.jpg

41316860702_49e4664523_z.jpg
Wow - you scored. That’s a great room!!

To the OP, You will love Ko olina - don’t show Todd’s pictures to anybody or they will expect the same.

I love Ko Olina too and return next in Nov. I’m sitting here at MOC now - we are a lucky group aren’t we???

Best,

Greg