• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Red Tide -Southwest FL Beaches

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Based on the past, do you think the last two weeks of December will be as bad in Marco Island?

The dead fish and smell should be long gone by then. It isn't unheard of for red tides to happen at other times of year but they don't last like this and they aren't as widespread either. My husband said that he just read that this is the worst red tide in over a decade. But it has also been a very hot summer and that exacerbates the problem. We also haven't had any big storms yet that come in hurricane season to blow it out either.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Once again, here's the link to check status (thank you stevio99):
http://myfwc.com/redtidestatus

I'm checking every few days because we have 3 exchanges later this year on west coast of FL. Unfortunately just one was impacted last week, but now it's 2, and it's spreading both up and down the coast. One exchange is with II which I can potentially re-trade, but 2 are RCI so I'd have to forfeit the exchange fee and maybe the TPU's.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Once again, here's the link to check status (thank you stevio99):
http://myfwc.com/redtidestatus

I'm checking every few days because we have 3 exchanges later this year on west coast of FL. Unfortunately just one was impacted last week, but now it's 2, and it's spreading both up and down the coast. One exchange is with II which I can potentially re-trade, but 2 are RCI so I'd have to forfeit the exchange fee and maybe the TPU's.

Don't stress yourself out worrying about what is happening now effecting your vacation later this year. It will be long gone by the time you are going. However there is no way to predict what could happen when you will be going as red tides can happen at any time, but generally happen when the water is warmer. And it is unusual that they effect such a large area or last this long. Btw the water in later November and for the next couple of months might seem warm to you but it isn't as warm as it is now.

For the last 7 years we have been going to resorts on the beaches in Sanibel, Captiva, Naples, Marco Island and Sarasota every few months. One time, and only the one time, were we at a resort after there had been a red tide in the area not far from where the resort was. We never in all our stays encountered a red tide. That time the red tide was couple of weeks earlier and we weren't bothered by smells but did see the dried up remains of some dead fish when we walked up the beach towards that area. Just to be cautious my husband would go up to the shower/foot rinsing station and rinse off after he got out of the water. We bought jugs of water to drink and cook with but I usually do that no matter where we go.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on the past, do you think the last two weeks of December will be as bad in Marco Island?

It's hard to really know. I've seen National News stories on the current crisis and some of them have said that the potential of it lasting a year to a year and a half.

I can tell you from previous encounters that the smell is not pleasant at all......

And, best I can tell this is not currently affecting Marco Island.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to feel optimistic that this year will be like past years, but so far it's not quite working for me - since nothing much climate-wise is normal.

"Respiratory irritation was reported over the past week in ... 8/2 at South Marco Beach..."

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Trying to feel optimistic that this year will be like past years, but so far it's not quite working for me - since nothing much climate-wise is normal.

"Respiratory irritation was reported over the past week in ... 8/2 at South Marco Beach..."
I am like you. I have 4 weeks planned closer to the end of the year on the west coast fl and not sure what to do. Will wait awhile before I switch and hope it gets better

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Headed to Ormond beach (Atlantic side, near Daytona) 1st week of Oct..Any Concerns?

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Headed to Ormond beach (Atlantic side, near Daytona) 1st week of Oct..Any Concerns?
Isn't that bike week, when thousands of bikers take over Daytona Beach? Do you ride a Harley?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should I take my exchange into Vanderbilt beach, dec 15, or worry about it being ruined by red tide.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Isn't that bike week, when thousands of bikers take over Daytona Beach? Do you ride a Harley?

I think you mean Biketoberfest, which is certainly a motorcycle rally. It will not be until October 18th to 21st. So Carta will not likely be there at that time.

The week traditionally known as Bike Week in Daytona is during Spring Break. In 2019 it will be held Mar 8th to 17th. It is larger and longer than the fall meet.

Last edited:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22

You should be fine. Red tides usually occur on the Gulf Coast, not so much on the Atlantic coast of Florida. The Gulf side has generally shallower, warmer waters than the Atlantic side, which helps the algae bloom to develop.

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
My wife caught a report on national news today - showed the thick blue-green algae sludge floating on top of the water in the canals, and showed pics of the dead fish, turtles, dolphins, and a whale shark washing up on the beach in the Ft Myers area because of the red tide in the Gulf. She said our tourism is screwed. Can't imagine why anyone would come to this area until this is resolved. It's worse than you can imagine.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Optimistic that it will be ok in January.
We have been keeping up with the beach reports. It’s pretty bad there now.
Silentg

brdzonbat

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Webcam at The Turtle Club, shows a pretty nice beach. This restaurant is very close to Vanderbilt Beach and Harbour Club.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, thank you, we were actually staying on Vanderbilt beach fifteen years ago when we saw an ad in the newspaper and ended up buying our house.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
RCI's Red-Tide Policy: Cancellation Penalties Apply.
"Thank you for your inquiry about the current situation with Red Tide in Florida. At this time RCI is not offering any exceptions for cancellations and they are following the standard cancel policy. Currently, if you decide to cancel, the $239 RCI exchange fee will be forfeited and, if points protection was not purchased, depending on when you cancel, you may forfeit points. If you would like to add the points protection for $59, you can receive 100% of the points back should you choose to cancel. You can also wait until closer to the dates to see if anything changes with RCI's cancel policy for this situation."

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
https://visitbeaches.org/#
We are going to Ft Myers Beach in January. Not changing plans

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:
From that site found several other resources.

From https://mote.org/news/article/red-tide-what-mote-is-doing-now

Red tide resources for the public

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Should I take my exchange into Vanderbilt beach, dec 15, or worry about it being ruined by red tide.
Oh wow, I have been trying to exchange into Vanderbilt beach for years, can I ask what you used to get this exchange and was it through II or RCI? thanks

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh wow, I have been trying to exchange into Vanderbilt beach for years, can I ask what you used to get this exchange and was it through II or RCI? thanks
Traded through rci, I put in an ongoing search including three resorts on Marco and two resorts on siesta key, I used my last combined tpu which was 75, and have a lot left. Red tide may have scared someone else off.
May I add that this is twenty to thirty minute drive from our house, so it may seem silly to take as an exchange.

Last edited: