• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Red Tide -Southwest FL Beaches

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Traded through rci, I put in an ongoing search including three resorts on Marco and two resorts on siesta key, I used my last combined tpu which was 75, and have a lot left. Red tide may have scared someone else off.
May I add that this is twenty to thirty minute drive from our house, so it may seem silly to take as an exchange.
How great to have a wonderful vacation so close to home. Traveling is the worst part of going on vacation.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Traded through rci, I put in an ongoing search including three resorts on Marco and two resorts on siesta key, I used my last combined tpu which was 75, and have a lot left. Red tide may have scared someone else off.
May I add that this is twenty to thirty minute drive from our house, so it may seem silly to take as an exchange.
I don't think it's sill at all, its in a great location and these are difficult to trade into

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Not silly. We go to resorts close to home too. It’s nice to get away and still be close by. Staying at a resort is always a nice change of pace.
Silentg

We've done that too. Last summer we stayed at a resort in Boca Raton on the beach for the 4th of July week. We call it our version of a staycation.

The week after next we are staying at Caloosa Cove in Islamorada down in the Keys which is only about 2 hours from us. Last week we were at Wyndham Glacier Canyon with our DIL and two granddaughters. Due do delays on the construction of a new building the 7 year old's school doesn't start back until September 6th so we brought her home with us. We usually go to Sanibel for a week when she comes for her vacations with Grandma and Papa but not this time thanks to the red tide. We really enjoy going to Naples and Sanibel on the opposite coast of Florida from where we live.

We are at Wyndham Bonnet Creek doing Disney this week. Met up with a fellow Tugger who has a daughter for our granddaughter to play with in the pool and lazy river and we have been going to the Disney Parks together too. We've been having a wonderful time. Our son and DIL were teasing me about what a tough life it is when I told them since we can't go to Sanibel so we are going to the Keys. We had 6 days at Wyndham Glacier Canyon with all the waterparks, now 5 days at Bonnet Creek with Disney, then a week at home with us with the pool, different playgrounds close to us and things we will do that week and finish up with the week in the Keys. Our son and DIL said anyone of the those would be a major vacation for an entire family but thanks to us having the timeshares their daughter has no idea of what normal is. Gotta love timesharing!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
So did you have a vacation booked in Sanibel? Is the resort closed? If you booked thru RCI, they are saying “tough toenails” not giving credit unless you bought travel protection?
Sounds like you have booked some nice stays for your grand daughter!
Silentg

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
It was nice meeting you jan, and let us know when you visit the west coast. We are at exit 123.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
So did you have a vacation booked in Sanibel? Is the resort closed? If you booked thru RCI, they are saying “tough toenails” not giving credit unless you bought travel protection?
Sounds like you have booked some nice stays for your grand daughter!
Silentg

We only decided last Friday on our way back to Ohio from Glacier Canyon in Wisconsin to bring our granddaughter back with us on our flight home on Monday. So I didn't have anything planned ahead of time for Sanibel. On Monday night I found the reservation for Caloosa Cove. They aren't having any problems with the red tide or algae blooms. The resort got hit by Hurricane Irma last Fall so all the units have been redone. I think they might still have some work to do on the outside and maybe the marina too but the pool and beach are fine.

There were also reservations available for the resort in Jupiter and the Plantation Beach Club on Indian River in Stuart but I knew that area is getting hit again this year with the algae bloom as a result of water begin released from Okeechobee. That area has lagoons and inlets and they get hit hard with the algae bloom. My husband's brother and SIL rent a condo in Stuart facing the inlet for February and the first week or two in March from a relative of friends of theirs. The people who own the condo are thinking of selling it and buying somewhere else because they are fed up with not being able to use their place for so much of the summer when their kids are out of school because the smell is so foul. Not to mention it is unhealthy.

Duanerice

Reaction score
Posted this in a another thread too. I swam at Ft Myers beach this morning. I swim at FMB or another close beach every week with a few other people. We have only missed one week due to the water condition. And no, it wasn't crystal clear but FMB never is. Didn't smell and no dead fish. Now, they have been doing extensive clean up so that helps. Oh and it's not crowded at all so that's a good thing for vacationers. Bad for business of course.

All the real nasty green sludge you see on TV is mostly in canals, not the gulf. We are amused because there are people going on TV with gas masks on saying the smell is so terrible. Maybe it is in some places but not the beach. Some people like theatrics for TV.

I'm not downplaying it because this is bad for the environment. Lots and lots of dead fish, turtles, manatees, etc. It's not pretty and there is no end in sight. But, I wouldn't cancel my vacation because of it.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
Check out visitbeaches.org for the status of Red Tide along the Florida Coasts.

It hasn't been this bad for years. We've hardly been to the beach at all this summer, mostly just staying in our pool. We live on Marco Island.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm at FMB (South end) now, and the effects of red tide can be seen.
We saw dead fish on the beach every few feet and very few people.
No one was in the water. The front desk said it could last to November.

Fortunately, hanging at the pool pleasant is very pleasant.
We'll also finds some tourist-type things to do.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Looking good today.Anyone in Fort Myers now?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
My aunt spent the day at Ft Myers today and just texted me the following:
We were just notified the water tested zero! Yay! We’ve walked the beach today and saw no dead fish nor smelled any effects of the red tide. 86 and sunny here and tons of people in the water today!
it’s as beautiful as ever. No worries today either about red tide!

Just wanted to give everyone an update. She’s at the Lighthouse Tiki Bar

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score

headoflife

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an current info on red tide/green algae on Sanibel Island? I have a week on hold from 12/15. My daughter has asthma(not severe and rarely needs an inhaler), and if we can't enjoy being on the beach or at the pool, which is near the beach, I will pass. Thanks for any info!

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
headoflife: All reports are that red tide is not active on Sanibel Island. When we were there in mid-October, it wasn't. Those who've visited in November report it wasn't. Those visiting now or who live on the island report red tide is not active. The Sanibel forums on TripAdvisor are a good source of information.