• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Users Group Turns 25!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
25 years ago this month my father and a group of other Timeshare Owners began to organize what was originally a Prodigy Bulletin Board System (where TUGBBS came from) composed of a handful of Timeshare owners discussion resorts and Timesharing, into what we now call TUG.

TUG was/is actually one of the very first commercial sites on the Internet and the very first website period relating to Timeshares! not sure how many of you remember back to 1993, but the internet wasnt nearly as popular as it is now. The TUG website is older than any other Timeshare related website (and the vast majority of all websites period!)

Over the last Twenty Five years, TUG has helped tens of thousands of timeshare owners, many to this day remain to pass on the gift of knowledge they likely received themselves many moons ago through the various websites and TUGBBS forum installations we have had over the years.

With Millions of dollars worth of Timeshares sold and rented by TUGGERS. With over 38 million in the past few years alone!

On top of that, literally millions of dollars worth of money saved just from folks finding TUG in time to discover the resale market....with over 10 million recorded in just this version of the forum!

More than that though is the unimaginable value of information passed on and learned year after year through nothing more than Timeshare owners helping each other understand and best use this product that comes with no instruction manual. I have even heard in the past TUG is the "handbook" for Timeshares, and believe it to be true to this day.

This community is truly one of a Kind, providing Timeshare owners a place they can truly get help and advice without having to worry about being scammed or ripped off!

Happy quarter century birthday to TUG and everyone here in this community!

25thbday2.jpg

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So, among those of us who are currently active, who has been around the longest?

I've been around since September of 1999, but I know I there are some who were active when I joined. Makai Guy comes to mind immediately.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TUG!

I don't remember the exact year, but it had to be in the mid '90's. It was definitely on Prodigy and I was a paid member of TUG. I probably lurked more than participated, and mostly in Fern's Cafe. I was trucking and had a Tandy TRS-80 with a 9600? Baud modem. Truck stops had phones at the restaurant tables, and Prodigy had local dial-up numbers in cities and good size towns across the country. It was before I owned a TS- that came along in 2003 or so. I had taken the advice to rent before buying a resale from Holiday Timeshare Resales.

Jim

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Happy Birthday TUG. I am proud to be a member. I was a member back in the beginning, left for awhile due to loss but so glad I found my way back home. I love tug.

Brian thank you for continuing your dads work. Both of you and all the others who contributed have made TUG the best in truthful timeshare information.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My profile says I joined in 2006, but I think I was here a bit before that. So at least a dozen years for me. Not nearly as long as many of you, but a lifetime, in my vacationing life. I’ll always appreciate all of you, and the knowledge you’ve given me. As I keep making the joke, you are the nicest group of imaginary friends I’ve ever had. ;)

Happy Birthday, TUG!

Dave

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Thanks for this great website, Brian. Thanks for carrying on the work that your Dad started.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
From an old post of mine (Mar 21, 2011):

:wave:

I remember Fern's Cafe (is it gone?).
Still here, renamed as TUG Lounge. Longtimers will remember the very unpleasant period when the board was taken over by contentious political discussions that resulted in our current "no politics" rule in October 2003. Things got so bad that Fern no longer wanted her name associated with that mess. Can't say as I blame her, either.

Our original bbs was written by Laurence Chan, who used to be extremely active here.

I haven't been around as long as Fern, but I joined back when TUG only existed as a printed newsletter and the internet had not yet taken the world by storm. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of my records in a hard disk crash several years ago [now quite a few years ago] so I don't have a lot of good reference dates. I think I started helping Laurence out as Hawaii bbs co-moderator and Hawaii review co-manager around 1995, taking these over completely in 1997.

Laurence created a second version of his bbs several years later ... then at some point he convinced Bill Rogers to spring for commercial bulletin board software that was available by then, going with Universal Bulletin Board (UBB). Think this was around 1999 or 2000. We were still running UBB in 2003 when the "no politics" policy went into effect.

Our UBB became hopelessly out of date and just could not handle the volume of messages we generated, resulting in a need to keep the board purged of older messages. This caused us to lose a lot of valuable history. We switched to vBulletin software in June 2005 to try to combat this.

We outgrew the shared server space we were renting almost immediately and moved the hosting of the bbs several times, attempting to find a host that could handle our high volume of traffic. Finally, we bit the bullet and went to our own dedicated server which runs nothing but TUG in August 2006. We're still there 5 years later.​

[Now to add to the old post ...]

When we went to vBulletin in 2005 it was not possible to carry over everyone's old bbs registrations and everyone had to sign in as a new user. That's why you see so many people with June and July 2005 registration dates. I worked on customizing vBulletin to our needs for about a year before we could change over to it. That's why you see me with a 2004 date, as do a handful of staff members at the time that helped register and test things out.

So now we've reached 2018. We're still on our dedicated server, which has been upgraded several times. Our heavily-customized vBulletin became too out of date and cumbersome to maintain and we went to our current XenForo bbs software in November 2016. At least this time we were able to carry all our existing messages and user information over with us.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can remember Fern M and DaveM from Massachusetts when I joined the #1 Timeshare Website in the USA and after Twenty-Five years TUG is still the #1 Timeshare Website in the USA.

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday!

So grateful to TUG providing a forum the sharing of timeshare and travel and general life hacks! I have been so fortunate to have met and even traveled with many timeshare friends.

I believed I joined in 1999!!!!!!

Cheers to another 25 years of travel adventures!

Maria

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
I don't remember the exact year I joined, but I do remember Ferns cafe though I was only able to visit a few times. I was able to meet Fern in person in Las Vegas, and have met and traveled with a few Tuggers. Thanks to TUG all of our timeshare purchases were resale. Thank you TUG and Happy Birthday!

arch53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
I don't remember the exact year I joined, but I do remember Ferns cafe though I was only able to visit a few times. I was able to meet Fern in person in Las Vegas, and have met and traveled with a few Tuggers. Thanks to TUG all of our timeshare purchases were resale. Thank you TUG and Happy Birthday!

Congrats. TUG is always a site I visit when I am on the web. Not sure when I first joined probably sometime in early 2000s. Cheap South African timeshares were all the rage.
I’ve always felt that TUG represented the internet at its best.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I used check the TUG prodigy site and joined TUG pretty much near the beginning.off and on and was around for Sunday Chats too.
They were fun, not sure why we don’t do them anymore?
Congratulations on 25 years TUG!
Silentg

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Happy Birthday Tug and thank you for being around... I'm new and joined in 2014 and I'm so happy that I did become a member. I have learned so much, purchased some great TS's thanks to all of the help I received and have had some awesome trades...Thank you, Brian for all of your efforts and time that you put into TUG.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Happy Birthday TUG. I’ve been on the Internet since 1991. Before that I used dial up BBSs.

I knew of TUG since 1994 but was too cheap to join. It was only this year I joined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday TUG! I've been a member since 2005 when I went to a presentation at Powhattan Plantation in Williamsburg, VA and asked the sales people why I should pay $15K for a timeshare when they are on Ebay for much less(Actually brought the printout with me - I was already a TUGger in training).

Joe

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy 25th Birthday TUG!! Thank you for this site and helping many here and for all the other great information.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Happy Birthday to TUG, it has been a complete godsend to me, I have learned about 90% of all I know about timesharing from this site and the good people who take the time and plenty of patience to explain things to us newbies.

Thank you to those who run it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I don't remember the year I joined, I just remember I found TUG when we were trying to sell a timeshare and got roped into one of the "pay us first" operations. Thanks to TUG we were able to back out AND get our money refunded. I've been a happy member ever since.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Happy Birthday Tug
What a unique community of knowledgeable and passionate members and guests who keep this forum and web site current, timely and full of invaluable information.
I’ve learned so much not only about Timeshares but about traveling tips, loyalty programs, and restaurants (thanks Marty).
We should all proudly celebrate this milestone together. Happy 25th and many many more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Happy Birthday TUG! I joined sometime in the 1990's. I used the Prodigy BBS with dial-up AOL. We bought our first timeshare in 1991 and I started looking for information. I found Fern's Cafe because I was searching for Imperial Hawaii and she owned there and had information about it. I learned a lot about timeshares from Fern over the years - she would always willingly share information.

I love TUG - you can always find helpful folks. Lots of great information about pretty much anything from specific timeshares to recipes, good books, and various experiences. If you need to know about something - just ask! :)

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
To celebrate, last night I re-upped for 3 more years.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you TUG and Happy birthday. I know I have personally saved many thousands of dollars thanks to your boards!