• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPG Luxury Amex sign-up bonus

glarscast

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Destination Club Member
I received in my USMail an offer to apply for the new SPG Luxury Amex with a 125,000 point sign-up bonus. I am inclined to apply since I have no SPG Amex or Chase Marriott card at all. My concern is that the "New Member Number" included in the mailing is neither my MR number nor my SPG number. It is a 9-digit membership number that is nowhere on my account.

Has anyone else had this experience?

My fear is that the 125k will not be deposited into my SPG-MR account, but rather into this "new" account.

Any thoughts?

glarscast

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
I received in my USMail an offer to apply for the new SPG Luxury Amex with a 125,000 point sign-up bonus. I am inclined to apply since I have no SPG Amex or Chase Marriott card at all. My concern is that the "New Member Number" included in the mailing is neither my MR number nor my SPG number. It is a 9-digit membership number that is nowhere on my account.

My fear is that the 125k will not be deposited into my SPG-MR account, but rather into this "new" account.

Any thoughts?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
The application process should ask for your SPG/MR number. Are you certain that the unrecognized number is not your newly assigned MR number? All SPG accounts got converted to new Marriott rewards account numbers during the transition a few weeks back.

glarscast

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
My old 9-digit MR number is now my only number for my combined accounts.

My old 10-digit SPG number is available under my MR profile as "Previous SPG member number."

This new 9-digit member number is completely foreign to me.

The URL given me in the USMailing asks for the member number from the mailing. When I enter my MR member number it preloads 100k sign-up bonus. When I enter the new 9-digit number from the hardcopy mailing, it preloads the 125k sign-up bonus and then locks the MR number field so it cannot be changed.

???

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

Any thoughts?
Yes it will be deposited to that new account number, then you have to link that account with your account. Have a problem with my wifes account for this. Had to open a ticket to fix this after 2 hours of trying with marriott customer service then elevated to supervisor, then said it was a starwood number so transferred to starwood rep. After the starwood supervisor couldnt link the accounts, they opened up a ticket and said it would take 2 weeks to get back to us.

The funny thing is i also applied to the lux card and i put in my existing marriott number on app and points went into my mrp number. Put in wifes existing marriott number on app and all the points (bonus and spend) got deposited into the new starwood rewards number.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

glarscast

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Thank you Frank. I called MR elite line and got a very helpful membership services representative. After I explained the situation, she read to me the exact 9-digit number that was on the hardcopy mailing that had invited me to apply for the SPG Luxury Amex. I did not give her the number, she said "I know what this is about and is this the number that you're talking about xxxxxxxxx ?" Apparently, although I cannot see the three different membership numbers on my combined MR-SPG account, she can see all three:

Old (current) 9-digit MR number
Old (expired) 10-digit SPG number
New (temporary) 9-digit replacement SPG number assigned to me in August

On August 30th, I combined my MR and SPG accounts and took the original MR number as my permanent number. Marriott had already assigned to me a new 9-digit SPG number that I knew nothing about. Today I was assured by the helpful representative that all three numbers route to my original MR number.

As a result, I feel much better about applying for the card knowing that although the "New Member Number" is unfamiliar to me, it is actually assigned to me. I hope that I will not have to go through what you and your wife went through to get the bonus points awarded to the correct account.

Thanks again.

glarscast

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Thank you okwiater. The "new number" was exactly what you had suggested - a temporary 9-digit Marriott Rewards number assigned to my SPG account. I called Marriott Rewards elite line and got a very helpful membership services representative. After I explained the situation, she read to me the exact 9-digit number that was on the hardcopy mailing that had invited me to apply for the SPG Luxury Amex. I did not give her the number, she said "I know what this is about and is this the number that you're talking about xxxxxxxxx ?" Apparently, although I cannot see the three different membership numbers on my combined MR-SPG account, she can see all three:

Old (current) 9-digit MR number
Old (expired) 10-digit SPG number
New (temporary) 9-digit replacement SPG number assigned to me in August

On August 30th, I combined my MR and SPG accounts and took the original MR number as my permanent number. Marriott had already assigned to me a new 9-digit SPG number that I knew nothing about. Today I was assured by the helpful representative that all three numbers route to my original Marriott Rewards number.

As a result, I feel much better about applying for the card knowing that although the "New Member Number" is unfamiliar to me, it is actually assigned to me.

Thanks again.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Glad yours went through and are linked ok. Like I mentioned, we are batting .500 right now. One account is correct and another is still not right.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

glarscast

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
I wish you well. Good luck trying to get Marriott to sort it out!

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
You should merge your Marriott & SPG accounts into one. You have to pick one of them to log into... (I kept SPG). When you check all the boxes and submit, you will be given a new number to use. Before you do this however, get a screen grab of your separate reward points and details.

Sounds like they've already given you this number. Make sure the numbers match after you do the merging.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had this exact situation. I got an email a little over a month ago that had a different number on it than our SPG or Marriott rewards number for 123K points. The problem was it only had part of the number. A couple of days later we got an email for our new SPG number. So my wife signed up (it was in her name) and she has the SPG AMEX Luxury card. That account references her current Marriott number even though she signed up under the "new" SPG number. We've been assured she'll get the 125K points rather than the 100K points she'd have received under the old SPG or Marriott number. We've since got a mailing the same way.

Only my wife got the solicitation. She has a current Marriott rewards Chase card (old one) and I don't currently have any Marriott or SPG cards since canceling my Marriott Chase card last December. The two things we're looking out for are the 125 vs 100K bonus points and that the dues get the 6X rewards. Since the $300 travel credit is only on Marriott stays, I'm assuming we won't be able to double dip there and will lose the additional 1800 points.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We had this exact situation. I got an email a little over a month ago that had a different number on it than our SPG or Marriott rewards number for 123K points. The problem was it only had part of the number. A couple of days later we got an email for our new SPG number. So my wife signed up (it was in her name) and she has the SPG AMEX Luxury card. That account references her current Marriott number even though she signed up under the "new" SPG number. We've been assured she'll get the 125K points rather than the 100K points she'd have received under the old SPG or Marriott number. We've since got a mailing the same way.

Only my wife got the solicitation. She has a current Marriott rewards Chase card (old one) and I don't currently have any Marriott or SPG cards since canceling my Marriott Chase card last December. The two things we're looking out for are the 125 vs 100K bonus points and that the dues get the 6X rewards. Since the $300 travel credit is only on Marriott stays, I'm assuming we won't be able to double dip there and will lose the additional 1800 points.
Have her refer you for the amex card and she will get a 20k bonus. So 100k for you and 20k for her =120k for family. Close to the 125k offer the amex is sending out.

I have used the lux card to pay mvc maintenance fee and we got the $300 credit. Works great as the card with global entry reimbursement is only $35 more than the standard spg card. Only you can decide if the free night up to 50k instead of 35k is worth paying more for the amex lux card instead of the standard amex spg card.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have her refer you for the amex card and she will get a 20k bonus. So 100k for you and 20k for her =120k for family. Close to the 125k offer the amex is sending out.

I have used the lux card to pay mvc maintenance fee and we got the $300 credit. Works great as the card with global entry reimbursement is only $35 more than the standard spg card. Only you can decide if the free night up to 50k instead of 35k is worth paying more for the amex lux card instead of the standard amex spg card.
We don't plan to get a second full card with AMEX. We ended up getting the SPG AMEX Luxury card for Kim and I got the Chase Sapphire Reserve plus we kept the old Chase Marriott in Kim's name and I have the old Disney Chase (free) and I have the Delta AMEX. Our plan is to use the CSR as the main card for me and joint purchases then to use the SPG card for Marriott purchases and as Kim's main card. Once we get past a trip coming up we plan to cancel the Delta card. We had just done our Global entry this summer so that won't help for a while though my daughter and SIL plan to do TSA Pre check so we'll put it on our cards as a freebie. We'll then see how things go and whether to keep the SPG card or the CSR or both.

I did prepay a portion of the Maint fees and got the credit plus to put that toward the required spending to get the bonus but what I want to be sure about is that we get the 6X points on Maint fees. And to say again, I do appreciate this group for helping me to work through those options recently.