• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Autistic visitors can proceed with lawsuits against Disney

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Autistic visitors can proceed with lawsuits against Disney
https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...80770dcddc2_story.html?utm_term=.739e3c38b946

By Mike Schneider / AP / The Washington Post / August 20, 2018

“ORLANDO, Fla. — Visitors with severe autism can move ahead with their lawsuits claiming Disney’s U.S. parks didn’t do enough to accommodate their need for scheduled routines and no waits on its rides, according to a federal appeals court.

The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals last week ruled that plaintiffs in 30 lawsuits can proceed in a lower court with their claims against Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, alleging violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act. People with severe autism often have difficulties with social interaction and communication and often adhere to rigid routines.

A district judge in Florida had ruled previously that Disney was accommodating the autistic visitors and dismissed the claims in 2016. The autistic visitors appealed to the court in Atlanta.

Under the parks’ current program, Disney allows visitors with disabilities to get a special card giving them an “appointment time” to get on a ride after the specified time with little to no wait. The card allows them to get unlimited “appointment times” throughout the day and allows them to get on rides immediately if the wait is less than 15 minutes. Disney workers also have the discretion to hand out readmission passes to visitors with disabilities, allowing them to get back on a ride immediately....”

368832F7-F988-41C1-AD42-AEAD5902B6DD.jpeg

Photo: Cory Disbrow—Flickr Vision/Getty Images

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Now this is going too far. I am not autistic but I have my own mental problems. I also have meltdowns due to an inability to wait and express distress at small changes in my routine. Autistic folks are not the only ones with this problem. Can I sue Disney too?

I think it is an honor to accommodate people who have mental and physical disabilities, but not a requirement.

In California, disability lawyers are doing drive by's and suing business owners. This is an abuse of the law.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is going to open a can of worms for all amusement parks in the USA, IMHO,

mtbmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
What more do people want? A private tour guide? Let’s throw in free admission while we’re at it. Ridiculous!

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
As the mom of an adult with Autism and another adult with Down syndrome, I think this lawsuit has gone too far. There are many people, disabled or not, that have difficulty waiting in lines. What these people in the lawsuit want is immediate access to any ride and multiple times in a row if the disabled person desires. Hopefully they will not win because if they do win, the general population will see increased wait times and animosity towards the disabled population getting preferred treatment. We follow the DAS rules as they are today and along with the FP system, it suits us just fine.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
As the mom of an adult with Autism and another adult with Down syndrome, I think this lawsuit has gone too far. There are many people, disabled or not, that have difficulty waiting in lines. What these people in the lawsuit want is immediate access to any ride and multiple times in a row if the disabled person desires. Hopefully they will not win because if they do win, the general population will see increased wait times and animosity towards the disabled population getting preferred treatment. We follow the DAS rules as they are today and along with the FP system, it suits us just fine.

Your response is very "fair minded"

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
With the size of the crowds at Disney, I can see situations where there could be group after group of Autistic people taking ALL the seats on a ride at one time, then getting back on the same ride again and again. They could effectively hijack the ride for a long time. Fair is fair, but preferential treatment beyond a certain point is unfair to everyone else. (Yes, I realize my example is extreme, but it COULD happen, if enough Autistic people were in the park at the same time.)

Dave

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the size of the crowds at Disney, I can see situations where there could be group after group of Autistic people taking ALL the seats on a ride at one time, then getting back on the same ride again and again. They could effectively hijack the ride for a long time. Fair is fair, but preferential treatment beyond a certain point is unfair to everyone else. (Yes, I realize my example is extreme, but it COULD happen, if enough Autistic people were in the park at the same time.)

Dave

What do you envision? Hoards of Autistic people marching in a parade up Main Street? Your example is so far fetched it’s ridiculous and hurtful. I have an autistic adult son. I feel so violated by the opinions stated in this thread!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
What do you envision? Hoards of Autistic people marching in a parade up Main Street? Your example is so far fetched it’s ridiculous and hurtful. I have an autistic adult son. I feel so violated by the opinions stated in this thread!

I stated my example was extreme, and I apologize if you find it hurtful. That was not the intention. I was trying to express a situation (admittedly, extreme, as I said), where a popular ride could be literally taken over by people being repeatedly granted head of the line treatment. Is it likely? No. But COULD it happen? Yes, it definitely could. Admission fees to Disney are so high, and lines can be so long, I think everyone deserves a fair chance.

Dave

mtforeman

TUG Member
Reaction score

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Disney’s current policy seems eminently reasonable. My very mildly autistic grandson would be completely satisfied with that approach based on my experience.

Cheers

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney’s current policy seems eminently reasonable. My very mildly autistic grandson would be completely satisfied with that approach based on my experience.

Cheers

Certainly the degree of handicap is a determining factor. There must be people who are able to visit the park, using a motorized chair, who are unable to be lifted onto a ride. Or, perhaps an obese person who cannot fit. I think it is unreasonable to expect ALL people be accommodated. However, this makes me wonder if they have considered offering an admission ticket that excludes rides.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Certainly the degree of handicap is a determining factor. There must be people who are able to visit the park, using a motorized chair, who are unable to be lifted onto a ride. Or, perhaps an obese person who cannot fit. I think it is unreasonable to expect ALL people be accommodated. However, this makes me wonder if they have considered offering an admission ticket that excludes rides.

I'd love a ticket that excludes rides if it were half the price! I'd love to go to Disneyland again and just wander around (truth be told I'd like to go on Small World, Pirates, and Haunted Mansion). I have no idea how families do it at over $100 for an admission ticket.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave
You do realize that up until about 5 -8 years ago or so the policy was to give people with disabilities a pass to bypass all lines for them and their party.. it had been like that for years if not decades. . Then people with disabilities started renting themselves out to people..articles started circulating about this abuse and monotization and that is when disney interveened with current policy (return times)...

They still offer the old pass but in more extreme cases (genie pass).. e.g. make a wish foundation kids.

Given the flow rate of hundreds of people an hour per ride. . I think the bigger wait time pain point would and is driven by tour groups who bring 1k plus people into the park and then they all have a fast pass at same time and shown up with guide. . Try being next in line at mine train and having them show up and swallow the next 5 to 15 trains.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You do realize that up until about 5 -8 years ago or so the policy was to give people with disabilities a pass to bypass all lines for them and their party.. it had been like that for years if not decades. . Then people with disabilities started renting themselves out to people..articles started circulating about this abuse and monotization and that is when disney interveened with current policy (return times)...

They still offer the old pass but in more extreme cases (genie pass).. e.g. make a wish foundation kids.

Given the flow rate of hundreds of people an hour per ride. . I think the bigger wait time pain point would and is driven by tour groups who bring 1k plus people into the park and then they all have a fast pass at same time and shown up with guide. . Try being next in line at mine train and having them show up and swallow the next 5 to 15 trains.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I get that, for sure. I haven’t been to Disney in a long time, but when I stop to think of my memories of it, the word “ordeal” comes to mind. How much of the experience was overshadowed by the sheer number of people competing for the next seat on something. So I agree fair treatment to all guests should be a thing.

Sidebar: My (conflicted) “best” memories of visiting a Disney park was October of 2001, just a month after the 9/11 attacks. The skies and parks were empty. We fell into an opportunity to fly round trip from Seattle to Orlando for $125 each. Couldn’t say No, so we went. Got discounted tickets to Disney World. The place was deserted - few lines, and minimal to zero wait times. Kind of eerie. I felt a bit of guilt enjoying myself after what had happened the month before. That trip stands out probably more than any vacation I’ve ever had.

I am often the person who lets someone with a special situation go ahead of me in line, and would probably do the same at Disney. But even that courtesy would wear thin if person after person with whatever special situation wanted/expected to go ahead of me. I’m not inconsiderate, just human.

Dave

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are many people, disabled or not, that have difficulty waiting in lines.

I used to be one of these. My solution to the problem at Disney was to stop going to Disney. At other places I pretty much avoid any line of more than 3 or 4 people unless it is for something super important to me like renewing my Driver's License, voting, etc. Lines at airports were one of the reasons I gave up flying when I did...

George