• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

...This Is What No One Tells You About Starting a New Life Abroad

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I'm planning on moving to FL when I retire, partly to save money, because if I stay in MI, my pension and SS are taxed and our property tax's are high. I can not stand winter, it gets me depressed. As I age, it gets harder to navigate the snow and to shovel or snow blow it. I have family in FL and other family that will be retiring down to FL. I have 3 kids and one grandson, they are currently in MI, but they are all still very young.

However I have 8 years till 65 when I can retire to take medicare coverage, so things might change from then to now...One thing I know for sure is that I will move to a location that is warm as the winter's in MI have been brutal for me...

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
We haven't moved away but we do spend 3 months each winter in Belize and several 10-21 day trips away aside from that. I always have some anxiety about going away but I am in nearly daily contact via the internet to other family members or VOIP calls to the folks. My parents & MiL are all 87 years old and in declining health. My Mom had to go into a long term care facility 5 years ago due to worsening dementia but my dad is still living in their house and driving himself around with not too much problem (3 minor accidents in the last year). MiL is also still living in her house since FiL passed away nearly 4 years ago, but her DD lives 4 doors away. When both sets of parents retired they also had parents in long term care homes but said they were being well taken care of so they would still travel, and they did. My parents wintered (3-4 mos) in Florida and my grandparents didn't have a problem with them leaving for so long and told them they needed to enjoy their retirement.

As it turned out both my grandparents passed away while my parents were at home. My FiL also passed away very suddenly while we were at home so we haven't had to deal with that while we are away. My dad and MiL have made it very clear to DH & I that they do not expect either one of us to fly home if they (or my Mom) should pass while we are away. My dad said "I'll be dead anyways so I wont know if you are there or not"! MiL was rushed to the hospital last winter while we were away and made all the family swear not to tell DH & I. Our daughter lasted about 2 days and then messaged me to call her for all the details. She said she just couldn't keep a secret like that from us in case Mum had passed away. Thankfully it wasn't anything too serious and Mum was back home within a couple of weeks.

A very good, nearly life long friend of my parents, & work mate of my dad's, qualified for an early retirement (with full pension & benefits) at the same time as my dad many years ago when they were 63 yrs old. This guy never travelled much saying he & his wife would take lots of long trips after he retired. Well he finished work at the end of May, seemed to have a bad cold/cough in the June, was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in July, and was dead before the end of November. He and his wife never got to take a single trip! My parents said they didn't want to end up like that and didn't expect us to either, so we should enjoy our retirement and not worry about them. And we are enjoying being out of the snow for the winter (but it's hard)!

~Diane

That same thing happened to my grandfather, he waited to travel till he retired, he retired on a Friday and was dead the following Monday. Never got one pension or SS check...

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My WI grandfather worked on an assembly line building "Nash" cars. Dropped dead 3 months after retiring at age 65 on his garage floor ... his wife lived another 30+ years.

My materal grandmother did marry his California brother-in-law (a widower) a year or so later ... having to give up her deceased husband's Nash automoblile company penison. His brother established a 'trust' - funded to match the 'lost pension'. He died 3 years later ... that grandmother lived a decent life in her own apartment back in WI and travelled yearly to visit us in NJ during the 6 weeks of really COLD winter weather Or as my mother said .. it gave her WI sister a winter break from Mom. But was torture for my Dad.

My mother put up with my Dad's mother almost daily ... living just 1/2 mile away. And growing up, she suppied most of our (raw) milk and eggs from their farm.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have no idea what will happen with my Mom. She is 78 years old, mentally sharp, getting around and doing fine just now. But lots of medical problems, her health seems like a house of cards.

She lives in her home in NY. I live in California. My brother and father have passed away, so it’s just me. Mom is a difficult person. She has a sister but that relationship is shaky. I have to set pretty rigid boundaries but when I do that, we can get along for short periods of time. She treats my husband like a waiter but he’s easy going and doesn’t like it but deals with it fine for short periods of time.

Despite her being very difficult (manipulative, tantrum-prone, emotional) with family, she behaves much more normally with friends and she has a surprisingly solid circle of friends in NY. She owns her home, is financially secure, and has long term care insurance which covers her in NY and reciprocal states but not California.

I try to get her to move here, because I don’t have the kind of job where I can drop everything if she’s ill and be gone for extended periods of time. For me, being gone much more than 10 days in a row is pretty hard on the business. She doesn’t want to move here and I get that. She likes to go to the diner and kvetch, people in California don’t really do that. She has friends at home and would have more trouble making friends here, because she’s not as mobile as she used to be. Housing is as expensive here as it is there. Her LTC insurance won’t work here.

I’ve considered trying to move to Nevada and getting her to move too. Cheaper for both of us, her LTC insurance is effective there. But does it really make sense for me to uproot both of us, leave a good paying job for maybe as much as a 40% paycut? I don’t know that makes sense really.

So it feels to me like we should have more of a plan, something that will be workable as she ages and in place before there’s a crisis. But there really is no easy answer, which results in us having no plan. It will inevitably become a crisis of some sort within the next 5 years. And I guess we’ll just have to deal with it then, and assess our options at that point in time.

I think it’s easy to say someone should have seen something coming. But sometimes they do and have just made a rational decision to deal with the problem when it becomes a problem. Because it’s hard to predict exactly how it will all play out anyway.
I so understand how difficult it is for you. Your mom is better off then mine. My mom has no long term care policy and really no close friends but refuses to move. Offered all, move in with me, try moving into senior community, move to assisted living, get help ( likes no one). Ultimately wants me to move back because it is what I am suppose to do. She did not take care of her mom, her sister in law did, who was supposedly no good. My sis lives within 45 minutes of her, does nothing. I take care of everything and travel every few weeks to visit. Gets tiring and never good enough. I always get one day you will feel guilty.

I decided will deal with everything as it happens. I meet all her needs and not all her wants. I can only do my best as you can. I learned from my dads illness, he passed last year, that it is impossible to do 100% and keep yourself healthy physically and mentally.

My parents lived their lives the way they wanted. We need to do that too. As she ages I do help the best I can and have compassion but realize uprooting my life to make her happy will last all of five minutes. All my offers for mom that she refuses gives me the peace I will need.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
I so understand how difficult it is for you. Your mom is better off then mine. My mom has no long term care policy and really no close friends but refuses to move. Offered all, move in with me, try moving into senior community, move to assisted living, get help ( likes no one). Ultimately wants me to move back because it is what I am suppose to do. She did not take care of her mom, her sister in law did, who was supposedly no good. My sis lives within 45 minutes of her, does nothing. I take care of everything and travel every few weeks to visit. Gets tiring and never good enough. I always get one day you will feel guilty.

I decided will deal with everything as it happens. I meet all her needs and not all her wants. I can only do my best as you can. I learned from my dads illness, he passed last year, that it is impossible to do 100% and keep yourself healthy physically and mentally.

My parents lived their lives the way they wanted. We need to do that too. As she ages I do help the best I can and have compassion but realize uprooting my life to make her happy will last all of five minutes. All my offers for mom that she refuses gives me the peace I will need.
I also was in the same circumstances as you several yrs. back. My mother out lived my father by more than 20 yrs. She was 92 when she pasted. IN the last 2 1/2 yrs. she was in ass. living, my mother was deaf most of her life, and legally blind in that she could only make out shapes but most signs in using sign language.
When we had to put her in ass. living, I drove 135 miles round trip every sat.(plus more when needed) and she came to expect it. To my surprise when talking to her one sat. SHE told me I needed a vacation.....o_O As my wife was also understanding in my sat. trips, this was a god send. In that in feeling bad because I wouldn't see my mom, I knew she understood and would relish all the interesting things we had done while on vacation. No matter how she felt because I wouldn't be there, she looked forward to my coming back. I guess that's what a MOM does......Good luck and spirits as you continue on....;)

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Only child. Adopted at birth in FL. My dad was 20 years older than my mother. He died when I was 28. He had prepared financially for her. Mother re-married about 15 years later. My step-father was also older and financially in good shape. Before he was even sick, while visiting us alone in SC, she asked us if she should take out a long term care policy. My husband, without discussion, told her no; that we would always take care of her. I suspect by asking she had hoped for that answer. Mother was a bit of a "Mommy Dearest" when I was growing up and I admit to still sometimes having that pit in my stomach feeling, resentment, from childhood even though she has acknowledged her behavior and asked for forgiveness. She is an amazing woman who has been far more active, hard-working and helpful to others than I have been in adulthood. 5 years after my step-father passed away, she sold her home and moved in with us in SC, never having lived anywhere but FL. At the same time, my husband retired and I had both of them full time. Mother has had a hard time adjusting to our kind of city life where most of our neighbors have more homes and are only here a few months a year. She has missed having full time neighbors and her old friends (She has outlived all but 2 in FL). Perhaps she might have been happier in assisted living in FL but with her very active lifestyle, loving to garden and cook more than anything, I couldn't see her there nor could I have been there when needed. And there was that question and promise years before. My husband is wonderful to her, a huge help, and she has done so much for us. She will be 97 in 4 months and is in the kitchen right now preparing our supper. Only quite recently have I had to help her more with dressing, medicine, finances and cooking.

We too dreamed of traveling, perhaps for long lengths of time overseas, when DH retired. We have done some traveling by taking Mother to my cousin and/or a younger friend in FL who like to have her for a couple of weeks at a time. I'm not sure that Mother will be able to stay with either of them in the future, however. Mother has always been afraid to be alone at night so that cuts down on our even going out after dark and our only child, who lives 20 minutes from us with her husband and our granddaughter, rarely calls or visits unless she wants something. She spent so much time with her grandmother growing up and both adored each other. She knows that she will receive the bulk of my mother's inheritance and our's. Yet she has never taken Mother out for even part of a day, much less offered for her to stay with them so we can get away. We have asked her occasionally to spend 1 or 2 nights here with Mother when there was something important and we had to be away. She works near our house, and our granddaughter goes to school nearby, so it's not a huge inconvenience for them. She begrudgingly agreed for perhaps a total of 5 nights over the last 7 years. All to say that we know we can't count on her to do much of anything for us when we need someone and yes, it hurts. Obviously, we spoiled her to the point she thinks we are here for her but not vice versa. We do have long term care policies. Hopefully, we will be financially good until our deaths. But one never knows.

I join the list who say to travel while you are younger; as often as you can. The conundrum for most people is how to do so and also be there for family as well as financially prepared for old age. I don't want to lose my mother. I feel guilty if I even think of the future without her. I hope we will lock the doors and travel. Already, at 71and 70, it will be with reduced mobility and strength to do some of what, and go where, we dreamed of. Gosh, I feel as if I have just had a session with my TUG psychologists! :)

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I'm an aging parent (age 83). To make sure I am not a burden to my kids I moved into a CCRC when I turned 65. In addition I have told my kids that they have no responsibility to take care of me as I continue to age. We keep in touch almost daily via email and/or phone but I haven't seen them in months. I have also told them that if/when I am in my final stages I don't want them to visit because I want them to remember me as my vibrant self, not while I am a shadow of my old self. One big negative with this is not having much of a relationship with my Grand Kids...

George
You seemed so young to go in a CCRC? Are you able to go out? I am almost the age you were when you went into CCRC. I can’t imagine moving into a place like that while I’m still able to care for myself. Still enjoy being with my family. I’m not a burden to them and we enjoy each other’s company. My DH and I do things on our own and so do my DD DS and SIL. We mostly get together for holidays but just got back from visiting DS and GF. Lots of fun.
Silentg

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.

It’s very difficult to care for aging parents. It is roll reversal, you become the adult they are the child. But looking at it from their perspective, it’s very frightening to them and that is why they lash out. It’s also difficult to get siblings to see the situation thru your eyes. They may think your mother is “just fine” on her own and they fight the idea of 24 hour care. We went thru that with both parents and everyone has a different idea of what is best.
My husband is dealing with his aging mother now. We had to fight for 24 hour care for her, as BIL insisted he could do it on his own. Finding her on the floor a few times convinced him to get 24 hour care. He has the most responsibility as he chose to do everything. We don’t live close but DH does his best and we visit when we can.
We are traveling though, and BiL and wife are starting to also. She also has her Father to care for.
With no help from her siblings.
This is part of life, still miss my parents, we were so close when younger. It’s tough to get old.
Silentg

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
You seemed so young to go in a CCRC? Are you able to go out?

Many don't understand that "Independent Living" is one of the levels of living in a CCRC. What is "Independent Living"? Quite simply it is like living in any condominium. You come and go as you please. If you want to spend a couple of nights at your kids house or 2 or 3 weeks in Florida. all you do is change the marker outside your door to indicate that you are gone. That let's Security know they don't have to check on you...

Moving into a CCRC at a young age has its advantages. First, you are amortizing the front end fee over more years. Second, you no longer have a need (or pay premiums) for Long Term Care Insurance. And Third, a portion of your monthly fee is deductible on your FIT Return. And truth be known if you pick the right CCRC your monthly fee is not much more than paying rent for a nice condo when you take into account that your CCRC monthly fee includes meals, taxes, cleaning, maintenance and utilities...

George

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
It took ten years for us to convince my mom to move out of her home. of course what really changed her mind was she developed a bat problem in her house. She moved to a senior high rise. She absolutely loves it. We all love it. My kids thought it was a timeshare.

I’m part of the sandwich generation. My husband and I have elderly but active parents and we have our young kids. Luckily for us we both have siblings to help out and social worker sisters on both sides on the family.

I know it’s good to have a doctor or lawyer in the family but i’ll take a good social worker over both any day.

Last edited: