• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New to TUG and New to Wyndham - Introduction

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation-Village Atalaya-Towers
Hello everyone! I am glad to join this site and wanted to ask some questions if that is ok. I have spent weeks researching how point work with Wyndham and here is what I am thinking. I welcome ( constructive ) feedback.

I am new to the timeshare thing, but I started to go down the Wyndham route for the use case of why I think I want a timeshare.

I am in the process of buying 308K of Wyndham points at Bonnet Creek thru resale.

I physically live in England but I am a US Citizen. There is 6 of us total in the house ( 2 adults, 4 Kids , 18, 16, 10, 6 )
I am thinking about buying another set of points 600K club Wyndham points also resale ( or whatever the points are called for home status in many locations) for a total of 900K

We want to have enough points to be able to stay somewhere like Bonnet Creek and get one of the largest rooms like the 4 bedroom presidential for a week for all of family to come join us when we are in the US visiting.

for times we don't come to the US, we want to be able to deposit the points into RCI and stay in other locations in Europe.

The reason I want to get into the wyndham point systems is to force myself to take vacations with the family and not be pinned down to just any one location and pay throughout the year to have lodging taken care of so all I need to worry about is getting to the location and food.

Just curious what you think of this thought pattern and if there is better ways, or if this way doesn't seem to bad ?

Thank you for your time of reading this and any replies that come my way

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you are tied to Wyndham Bonnet Creek on a maybe for a four bedroom, you might want to look at other systems. The RCI exchange fee is brutal.

The 1st week that appears as available is August 1st to August 8, 2018 at Wyndham Bonnet Creeks four a 4 bedroom.

Last edited:

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unless you are tied to Wyndham Bonnet Creek on a maybe for a four bedroom, you might want to look at other systems. The RCI exchange fee is brutal.

Can i use other systems besides RCI with my Wyndham points ? I am in the process of buying 308K points now deeded to Bonnet Creek

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Spend TIME with your 308K before buying any MORE Wyndham points. At least 18 months ... you can rent weeks here on TUG (Marketplace ads or Last Minute thread) .. as you have commited about $1900-2000 in annual MFs right NOW .. plus airfares to USA for your family. There are other rental sites such as Redweek.com also .. if you want to extend your vacation beyond what your 308K gets you.

Wyndham has great professional pictures of their resorts & units ... but it also has MANY members who will be trying to book the larger units, holiday times and etc.

At least, you have Advance Reservation Priority at Bonnet Creek... BUT you must be able to book 13 months BEFORE checkin to use it for holidays. Summer might be a TOO HOT and HUMID for English residents.

PS Wyndham has MANY fees ... READ up on Reservation Transactions, Housekeeping Credits, Guest Certificates and cancellation terms if inside 14 days window before checkin date. And the NO SHOW rules ... trying calling to plead for a LATE CHECKIN from a European airport with 6+ hours difference in time AND some language/slang differences.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can i use other systems besides RCI with my Wyndham points ? I am in the process of buying 308K points now deeded to Bonnet Creek

NO ... either use the points in Wyndham or RCI. And RCI has MORE fees ... the annual Membership fee is part of your Wyndham MFs ... but most likely will take 3-6+ months as a resale buyer to get your RCI account setup. Then you have an exchange fee ($189 each time .... plus if you send someone NOT on your deed ... MORE $$$ $99-129 now?)

And if you change WHO is coming ... that fee is NOT REFUNDED nor can the name be changed. And if you have an overlapping reservation ... Wyndham will cancel BOTH reservations nor refund your points or FEES you paid to make the reservation (RTs or HKs).

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The week is

7 Nights For
424,000 Points

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying 308K of Wyndham points at Bonnet Creek thru resale.

I physically live in England but I am a US Citizen. There is 6 of us total in the house ( 2 adults, 4 Kids , 18, 16, 10, 6 )
I am thinking about buying another set of points 600K club Wyndham points also resale ( or whatever the points are called for home status in many locations) for a total of 900K

We want to have enough points to be able to stay somewhere like Bonnet Creek and get one of the largest rooms like the 4 bedroom presidential for a week for all of family to come join us when we are in the US visiting.

for times we don't come to the US, we want to be able to deposit the points into RCI and stay in other locations in Europe.
If you are traveling during high demand school holidays, you will need Advanced Reservation Priority (ARP) to reserve 4 bedroom units at Bonnet Creek (424,000 points during High Season) or most other resorts.

308,000 points is enough for a 3 Bedroom Deluxe unit at Bonnet Creek during High Season.

The 308,000 points deeded at Bonnet Creek cannot be combined with CWA points for ARP.

The best advice for timeshare ownership is “Buy where you will vacation.” If 80% of your reservations will be made for US vacations, then a Wyndham ownership might work out OK. If 80% or your desired vacations will be in Europe, you would be better served by buying into a timeshare system with locations in Europe (Marriott, maybe, for the US locations, too?)

It is clear from your comments that you have not done enough research to make an informed decision for timeshare happiness.

Give Wyndham a try if you cannot get out of the 308,000 Wyndham points deal to see how easy or difficult it might be to exchange into Europe. You will definitely want to learn all about placing Ongoing Searches as early as possible in RCI. I think it is premature to add on an additional 600K points until you have experience with at least a couple of vacations using the 308K points.

Timeshares are easy and fun to buy, but a pain to unload if they are not a good fit.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
My concern would be in the amount of Wyndham points you are buying. With 308k pts, you would need to book a Wyndham property every 2 years or so for it to make sense.

We find that cash bookings thru RCI are a better value than using our points when you factor in the exchange fees. But being in Europe, you might have the ability to take advantage of last minute bookings when you can exchange for less points (within 30 days).

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The 1st week that appears as available is August 1st to August 8, 2018 at Wyndham Bonnet Creeks four a 4 bedroom.

When you talk about that be available during the 1st of August, is that normal or advanced booking. Assuming that is normal 10 month looking out ? Just curious, we could potentially be available during that time

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are traveling during high demand school holidays, you will need Advanced Reservation Priority (ARP) to reserve 4 bedroom units at Bonnet Creek (424,000 points during High Season) or most other resorts.

308,000 points is enough for a 3 Bedroom Deluxe unit at Bonnet Creek during High Season.

The 308,000 points deeded at Bonnet Creek cannot be combined with CWA points for ARP.

The best advice for timeshare ownership is “Buy where you will vacation.” If 80% of your reservations will be made for US vacations, then a Wyndham ownership might work out OK. If 80% or your desired vacations will be in Europe, you would be better served by buying into a timeshare system with locations in Europe (Marriott, maybe, for the US locations, too?)

It is clear from your comments that you have not done enough research to make an informed decision for timeshare happiness.

Give Wyndham a try if you cannot get out of the 308,000 Wyndham points deal to see how easy or difficult it might be to exchange into Europe. You will definitely want to learn all about placing Ongoing Searches as early as possible in RCI. I think it is premature to add on an additional 600K points until you have experience with at least a couple of vacations using the 308K points.

Timeshares are easy and fun to buy, but a pain to unload if they are not a good fit.

We will probally try and travel when school is still in, in hopes we can easily get in some where. we haven't really thought about when would be best for us to take vacation. Normally we would look to see what availability looks like some where then book around that. We don't really mind taking the kids out of school once a year so we can easily get in some where.

your comment of saying its clear I haven't done enough research, I am sorry it seems that way but I have spend the last 3 weeks researching time shares where I have seen others post on here asking basic questions I point XXX amount of points, what now and what can I do. That is simply not the case and when it comes to timeshares, there are soo many and so many different kinds. All my research has been focused on Wyndham and I started to craft my questions based off what I have found out so far. I was asking my questions to learn from others such as yourselfs that have access to your Wyndham points ( I don't Yet) and trying to learn from you all based off the questions I asked and have that be a talking point. Its also very hard to do research on RCI because I don't know about all the fees and how that works. I have seen this chart
https://b2b.rci.com/post-wvr-en_US/home/wvr-exchange-points-chart.page
but I feel like this is just a ball park figure ?

I don't mind fees here and there for RCI , 199 here or 300 there. If i can use my points to pay for 95% of the lodging cost, I will be happy.

My focus is to travel back to the USA at least once a year and stay somewhere nice and big that sleeps our family of 6 plus in-laws from both sides ( around 4 - 7 other family members)

then when I am not in the states or have left over points, so they don't go to waster, looking at trying out depositing into RCI, but until I have access to the RCI site to understand it all, I am taking notes of the type of gotcha's I am getting from everyone

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My concern would be in the amount of Wyndham points you are buying. With 308k pts, you would need to book a Wyndham property every 2 years or so for it to make sense.

We find that cash bookings thru RCI are a better value than using our points when you factor in the exchange fees. But being in Europe, you might have the ability to take advantage of last minute bookings when you can exchange for less points (within 30 days).

My goal is to try and book a Wyndham property every year, if we can't for what ever reason, I was going to try and find something in Europe with RCI points. from my house in England we Drive to any location with in the UK ( England or Scotland) also we drive to pretty much any part of France and Belgium and parts of Germany depending on how far away it is.

when you say cash bookings from RCI, as in just pay cash for your points ? Just trying to understand your statement on exchange fees if you mean changing US dollars to a different currency or if the Wyndham points don't exchange well ?

I have also been looking at the below link and talked to these guys on the phone

https://www.holidaymaxclub.com/buy-rci-platinum-points-premium/

supposedly they offer a week at a couple different time shares that have HIGH RCI points and low Maint Fees. The fee's you see on the page is for a one week share some where say the Lack District in England or a resort in Swedon that is worth a good about of RCI points and supposdly people are using their points to stay in many different locations.
Here is the link to all the PDFs they shared with me on the subject

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uREgA_dj3XQw9lbEsGVeWyDqrZ4ovPhE

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Have others bought points in locations they never plan on visiting to get the low maint fees just to use them to stay other locations ?

I was looking at points in Hawaii for the low fees but don't really plan on ever visiting the home resort

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Can i use other systems besides RCI with my Wyndham points ? <snip>

Wyndham owns RCI, which should help you understand why the answer is, "NO!"

schoolmarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, Bali Hai, and National Harbor; Summit at Massanutten
Have others bought points in locations they never plan on visiting to get the low maint fees just to use them to stay other locations ?

I was looking at points in Hawaii for the low fees but don't really plan on ever visiting the home resort

I own in Hawaii and I haven't been there (yet) I also own another location that is below the CWA rate for MFees. Haven't been there either.

I go to New York a lot. And have been using the points from these resorts to book it.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would still be a good idea to buy at the resort(s) you would not mind staying at. In light of recent problems in HI, it might be a good idea not to buy there.

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
I'm going to take a shot at answering the questions you're asking. Sometimes I find that I can't ask the pertinent question because I don't know enough about what I'm asking yet. My post here assumes the same for you in this thread.

I read every post in this thread. So you've bought 308k Bonnet Creek points, and it's in progress. There's nothing wrong so far, it's a good resort and if you want to go during prime time, it would be enough for a 3 bedroom unit, but not enough for a 4 bedroom. It would be enough for a 4 bedroom during the Value season, but you would probably have to make that reservation exactly at the 13 month mark. There are a limited number of those units and they go fast. So for that specific desire, you would have to be able to commit to a one week vacation 13 months in advance. Difficult when you live in the US, more difficult when you're traveling internationally.

You said you would like to make a US visit perhaps every year and be able to stay with a large amount of people for a week. If you're thinking of different places each year, then the only answer for the additional 600k points you're considering is probably CWA points; these give you the 3 month head start on booking any of the regular Wyndham resorts, although the pool of units available to CWA is more limited than deeded points at any one particular resort. Still, if you're online exactly at 12 midnight (US Eastern Time) you should be able to get most places you'd like.

As to your other questions, I don't know much about RCI, although I'm trying to figure it out. I understand that you can deposit points into RCI in increments of 1000 points and that will extend their use by two years, and that's about all I know.

Answering another question, I have also bought points at a home resort that I have no intention of ever staying at. I bought on the basis that the sale price was OK with me, and the annual Maintenance Fee was OK with me, and the knowledge that when making a reservation anywhere within the system, my points are the same as anyone else's points when we're making a reservation with a check in date 10 months in the future or less.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
when you say cash bookings from RCI, as in just pay cash for your points ? Just trying to understand your statement on exchange fees if you mean changing US dollars to a different currency or if the Wyndham points don't exchange well ?

If you are a member of RCI, they offer “Last Call” and “Extra Vacations.” Last calls are timeshares that are close to their rental date that may have a reduced point value. Extra Vacations are stays at timeshares that you pay cash for rather than using your points.

Ninjaneer80 said:
I have also been looking at the below link and talked to these guys on the phone
supposedly they offer a week at a couple different time shares that have HIGH RCI points and low Maint Fees. The fee's you see on the page is for a one week share some where say the Lack District in England or a resort in Swedon that is worth a good about of RCI points and supposdly people are using their points to stay in many different locations.
Here is the link to all the PDFs they shared with me on the subject...”

That website you are referring to is for RCI POINTS. RCI has two types of exchange systems, one is the Points system and the other is the TPU system (Trading Power Unit). I could be wrong but I think if you purchase Wyndham you get the TPU account. RCI gives your timeshare a point value based on the size of the unit, time of the year, location, amenities onsite, etc.

If you haven’t seen it yet, you can check out the RCI directory without being a member. Then you will get an idea of what is available around the world:
https://www.rci.com/resort-director...2=Vacation_Ideas&track3=Text:Resort_Directory

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the OP and to the TUG website. I hope you can enjoyed this website, as much as I have over the years.

Please asked your questions and I hope the TUG members & guests can help you with questions and answers.

Good luck and enjoy your timeshare vacations with family and friends.

Last edited:

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm going to take a shot at answering the questions you're asking. Sometimes I find that I can't ask the pertinent question because I don't know enough about what I'm asking yet. My post here assumes the same for you in this thread.

I read every post in this thread. So you've bought 308k Bonnet Creek points, and it's in progress. There's nothing wrong so far, it's a good resort and if you want to go during prime time, it would be enough for a 3 bedroom unit, but not enough for a 4 bedroom. It would be enough for a 4 bedroom during the Value season, but you would probably have to make that reservation exactly at the 13 month mark. There are a limited number of those units and they go fast. So for that specific desire, you would have to be able to commit to a one week vacation 13 months in advance. Difficult when you live in the US, more difficult when you're traveling internationally.

You said you would like to make a US visit perhaps every year and be able to stay with a large amount of people for a week. If you're thinking of different places each year, then the only answer for the additional 600k points you're considering is probably CWA points; these give you the 3 month head start on booking any of the regular Wyndham resorts, although the pool of units available to CWA is more limited than deeded points at any one particular resort. Still, if you're online exactly at 12 midnight (US Eastern Time) you should be able to get most places you'd like.

As to your other questions, I don't know much about RCI, although I'm trying to figure it out. I understand that you can deposit points into RCI in increments of 1000 points and that will extend their use by two years, and that's about all I know.

Answering another question, I have also bought points at a home resort that I have no intention of ever staying at. I bought on the basis that the sale price was OK with me, and the annual Maintenance Fee was OK with me, and the knowledge that when making a reservation anywhere within the system, my points are the same as anyone else's points when we're making a reservation with a check in date 10 months in the future or less.

Thank you very much for the reply, the more I read and ask questions, like yourself it helps get me to the right answer and to be able to attempt to craft the right question. Glad to see I am not the only one that I think I am starting to get it, just to find out I need to find out just a little more......... LOL

So what does that mean that the pool is limited for CWA ? as in the resorts only hold X amount of room for deeded places, then even less for CWA ?

I have been kicking around after this Bonnet Creek purchase is done, to grab some CWA next.
Also looking at maybe Grand Dessert ( We might stay there some day) then when we are at either one of these 2, then only worry about booking rooms 10 months out.

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are a member of RCI, they offer “Last Call” and “Extra Vacations.” Last calls are timeshares that are close to their rental date that may have a reduced point value. Extra Vacations are stays at timeshares that you pay cash for rather than using your points.

Ninjaneer80 said:
Here is the link to all the PDFs they shared with me on the subject...”

That website you are referring to is for RCI POINTS. RCI has two types of exchange systems, one is the Points system and the other is the TPU system (Trading Power Unit). I could be wrong but I think if you purchase Wyndham you get the TPU account. RCI gives your timeshare a point value based on the size of the unit, time of the year, location, amenities onsite, etc.

If you haven’t seen it yet, you can check out the RCI directory without being a member. Then you will get an idea of what is available around the world:
https://www.rci.com/resort-director...2=Vacation_Ideas&track3=Text:Resort_Directory

I have been looking at the RCI website, but I am not really sure if I understand when I look at places over seas, how do I figure out what my potentional points can get me

For example, my wife has always wanted to visit crete. Here is one random place I picked and I see its a gold crown. How do I figure out how many of my Wyndham points I need to stay there ?

https://www.rci.com/resort-directory/resortDetails?resortCode=6391

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham owns RCI, which should help you understand why the answer is, "NO!"

Good point, and I assumed but I thought I would ask. WAsn't sure if I could use the registry or any of the other exchange programs

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Good point, and I assumed but I thought I would ask. WAsn't sure if I could use the registry or any of the other exchange programs

Presidential Reserve owners have access to the Registry Collection.

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can't get any of that by purley owning points by resale ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Just trying to understand your statement on exchange fees if you mean changing US dollars to a different currency or if the Wyndham points don't exchange well ?
"Exchange fees" refer to the fees RCI charges each time one makes a timeshare exchange through their system. For instance, it might be a charge of $189 to make the trade. RCI also rents timeshare weeks on Last Call or other rentals where you don't have to exchange a timeshare week you own. You just pay the rental price for the week. The term "exchange fees" doesn't have anything to do with currency exchange rates.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
I have been looking at the RCI website, but I am not really sure if I understand when I look at places over seas, how do I figure out what my potentional points can get me

For example, my wife has always wanted to visit crete. Here is one random place I picked and I see its a gold crown. How do I figure out how many of my Wyndham points I need to stay there ?

https://www.rci.com/resort-directory/resortDetails?resortCode=6391

Hi Ninjaneer80, Do you have a specific resort in Crete that you would like to visit? Somewhere there is a RCI directory that lists the TPU/Points value for the resorts. We can check it for you.