• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort Only Able to Verify Reservations 21 Days from Arrival?

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm an owner at Shadow Ridge Villages and have guests using our upcoming New Year's week. I was under the impression that changes made by Owner Services to the reservation update instantly on the resort's end.

Called Owner Services who changed the reservation to my guest's name. When I called Shadow Ridge the following day to verify the reservation has my guest's name, I was told they can't even look up the confirmation number, much less my guest's name, until 21 days from check-in. Something about an antiquated reservation system, etc.

Wondering if others have been told the same at Shadow Ridge or at other MVC resorts. Has it something to do with MVW's acquisition of ILG? Even Owner Services told me they've been having some issues with a simple task like changing the name on a reservation.

Thank you in advance for any reply.

Reaction score
I'm an owner at Shadow Ridge Villages and have guests using our upcoming New Year's week. I was under the impression that changes made by Owner Services to the reservation update instantly on the resort's end.

Called Owner Services who changed the reservation to my guest's name. When I called Shadow Ridge the following day to verify the reservation has my guest's name, I was told they can't even look up the confirmation number, much less my guest's name, until 21 days from check-in. Something about an antiquated reservation system, etc.

Wondering if others have been told the same at Shadow Ridge or at other MVC resorts. Has it something to do with MVW's acquisition of ILG? Even Owner Services told me they've been having some issues with a simple task like changing the name on a reservation.

yes normally the pre-arrival team at each resort will audit all upcoming reservations at three weeks prior to check in date and assign villas to guests/owners.

Good luck!

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I rent many Marriott units out and never heard of this. This is true with II exchanges but ownership weeks? When I do add a guest's name to the reservation I do give the 800 and tell them to confirm via that but I now some have called the resort so maybe this is something new or just some resorts?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The system the individual properties use is not live data, but rather they receive a periodic feed of reservations. They don't get new reservations or updates until about 21 days in advance. There is really no reason they would need a reservation in their system earlier than that since you would make all other reservations online or on the phone within the central reservation system.

As much as computers and reservations systems have advanced, batch processing is still used heavily in all data intensive industries. These batch processes usually run overnight. Had the guests name been added inside of 21 days, the reservation should have updated with the resort in the overnight batch, probably still not instantly. By keeping the systems somewhat independant, it prevents an issue in one location from bringing the whole system down.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Did you try entering the res# and name online at marriott.com?

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. The reservation's updated on marriott.com with the guest's name.

I'm just surprised about the "21-day verification timeline". I also belong to Hilton, Vistana and Disney. Changes to reservations seem instantly reflected on the resort side on those systems and easily verifiable by calling the resort.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My past experiences suggest that they can see more real time information but they have to go through some hoops to get to it. But I agree there's likely no situation where it should matter. I suspect it's only midlevel management or above that has the separate access though. I know I've had a couple of Front Desk Managers that were able to get information they wouldn't have had without having such access.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Did you try entering the res# and name online at marriott.com?

Yes. The reservation's updated on marriott.com with the guest's name.

I'm just surprised about the "21-day verification timeline". I also belong to Hilton, Vistana and Disney. Changes to reservations seem instantly reflected on the resort side on those systems and easily verifiable by calling the resort.

So, if you are able to verify online that the reservation was changed to your guest's name, then why did you feel the need to contact the resort directly?

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, if you are able to verify online that the reservation was changed to your guest's name, then why did you feel the need to contact the resort directly?

I actually called the resort first, and when they couldn't verify the change, I remembered I could check it online. I was just puzzled by the resort's response, since the other systems I belong to - Hilton, Vistana, Disney - can verify changes made to reservations almost immediately even months in advance of arrival.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually called the resort first, and when they couldn't verify the change, I remembered I could check it online. I was just puzzled by the resort's response, since the other systems I belong to - Hilton, Vistana, Disney - can verify changes made to reservations almost immediately even months in advance of arrival.
Disney you can’t really call the resort directly. Member services will not talk to the renter for DVC.