• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

This is why Disney is so expensive

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
After our recent stay at Aulani with Disney Vacation Club points, we received this in the mail...

2629DAEE-F187-49DD-9871-08D8A581288A.jpeg
18B85D37-AC88-4B71-BD4D-F92D231C10BB.jpeg

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's small potatoes. The single night reservation option, high profit expectations on their side, transportation and union are much larger factor of many.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Those items costs Disney .000001 to produce from China.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
This package probably costs a couple dollars. Remember it is not just production...there’s a lot that goes into designing these beautiful pieces and there’s also postage. But this is the least of what they send me. I get mail from Disney everytime I make a reservation and cancel it, which is all the time. Even if production is cheap, the postage adds us. No one else sends me so much beautiful mail.

My point is not the mail. That alone is not what makes Disney expensive. It is the total branding and the way Disney handles every aspect of their product. Marketing and direct mail is just one aspect that I used as an example. Every touchpoint with Disney is flawlessly executed compared to other companies. I do not get thank you cards from Westin or Marriott after vacationing with them. I am lucky if they even credit my account correctly with what I deserve.

BTW, I personally get a warm and fuzzy feeling from the Disney mail, even while I realize how wasteful it is. I especially love the artwork they send me sometimes.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You are correct that everything Disney does has a special touch. I also get a smile on face with Disney mail, except when the DVC bill arrives.

Rick and I both love Disney because we are of that era, the Wonderful World of Disney era, with Walt Disney himself, we always wanted to go as kids. We were born in 1955, the year Disneyland opened.

We didn't go until we were 21. Our parents could never afford trips like that. We didn't have kids yet, and we already bought a house and two cars. We could afford to go, and so we did. We drove, and we stayed at a very moderate hotel on Katella.

This was one promise we made to ourselves, that our kids would know Disneyland and Disney World, and Rick was always the one who arranged the trips. Then around 1996, I started doing all of the planning.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's important to remember that Disney is a company that makes money by selling happiness. They also deliberately position themselves as a mass-market brand that is nevertheless aspirational. That's a difficult trick, but they've pulled it off.

So, if their fees are marginally higher because they send pretty postcards, that's all part of the business model. But, these things increase costs marginally, and they are no more expensive than other name-market brands that I've seen.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are correct that everything Disney does has a special touch. I also get a smile on face with Disney mail, except when the DVC bill arrives.

Rick and I both love Disney because we are of that era, the Wonderful World of Disney era, with Walt Disney himself, we always wanted to go as kids. We were born in 1955, the year Disneyland opened.

We didn't go until we were 21. Our parents could never afford trips like that. We didn't have kids yet, and we already bought a house and two cars. We could afford to go, and so we did. We drove, and we stayed at a very moderate hotel on Katella.

This was one promise we made to ourselves, that our kids would know Disneyland and Disney World, and Rick was always the one who arranged the trips. Then around 1996, I started doing all of the planning.

Awe...what a sweet story!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's important to remember that Disney is a company that makes money by selling happiness. They also deliberately position themselves as a mass-market brand that is nevertheless aspirational. That's a difficult trick, but they've pulled it off.

So, if their fees are marginally higher because they send pretty postcards, that's all part of the business model. But, these things increase costs marginally, and they are no more expensive than other name-market brands that I've seen.

In the timeshare world, Disney’s cost is astronomically higher but it’s worth it. DVC is the only timeshare that actually goes up in value.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am glad no one here cares about “pennies” in marketing costs. Folks in the other timeshare threads are up in arms about 6 sales offices at Westin. I thought that was silly and I am an owner there too.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess one of the reasons why Disney send these post cards packages is first of all they are selling Aulani and have a hard time doing it. A big if not the biggest part of the developer cost when selling timeshares is marketing.

When sending out 500 post card packages at a cost of $1,000 if only 0.125% is buying points to stay there then it’s still worth Disney time and money.

You have to spend money to make money.......

JohnB3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
IDK about only stays where they are actively selling, I've gotten postcards after an AK stay as well as Aulani and the Disney Cruise, my daughters love to get the mail after a trip

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
IDK about only stays where they are actively selling, I've gotten postcards after an AK stay as well as Aulani and the Disney Cruise, my daughters love to get the mail after a trip

I agree. I think it is customer retention and the warm and fuzzy feeling. Even though I started this thread, I must admit I enjoyed getting this package from Disney. I like cutesy mail especially when it is beautifully designed. I do not think the photos I posted did this package justice by the comments I got regarding cost estimates of .00000001 or made in China.

JohnB3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Agree we were at Aulani in August and got that piece as well it is well done

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
i am not trying to be negative but a lot of these envelopes end up in drawers/boxes where they retire. A waste of paper IMO.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
i am not trying to be negative but a lot of these envelopes end up in drawers/boxes where they retire. A waste of paper IMO.

You are right. That is why Disney is so expensive! That was the premise of my thread. They send out so much unnecessary mail to create a warm and fuzzy feeling. Like I said, sometimes they even send me artwork. Everytime I make and cancel a reservation, I still get a 10 page color booklet with my itinerary. The amount of beautiful mail I get from Disney every year is a lot. If any other timeshare wasted this much money on mail and had a separate line item in their budget, everyone on TUG would be up in arms. Disney probably hides it in a corporate budget somewhere but it probably does somehow get charged back to timeshare owners. I should read my association documents this year and look at the marketing budget. Disney is having 6%-10% MF increases this year. Frankly, I am not super cost sensitive and I am not the type to micromanage a successful corporation in how they do business. This is just food for thought.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FWIW: I know this thread is more on the DVC point of view, but everything Disney touches is far too expensive. Look at the cost of tickets to WDW
https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/disney-vacations/disney-world-ticket-costs-over-time

It is demand driven. If people stop going, prices will drop. Start a Facebook and Twitter campaign to bad mouth Disney so people will not go, then ticket prices will drop. Otherwise, if you think it is too expensive, vote with your feet.

I agree that Disney is completed overpriced. It is a unique magical experience that for some uncanny reason, people are willing to pay a lot for. Those cute characters touch peoples hearts unlike any others.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you are comparing when WDW first opened and had virtually no real following to now that it is one of the most valuable brands in the world and the demand is off the charts. It makes sense that ticket prices would go up by an exponential amount in 50 years for a sensationally successful experience. If you compare a daily ticket at WDW to a daily ski pass, a ticket to a concert or a major sporting event ticket, WDW no longer seems completely out of line actually.

I am not trying to defend Disney but just bring some perspective to this.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
DVC has consistently found the sweet spot. Their timeshares are highly desirable and at retail they have been a better buy then most other timeshares as they have resale value.

For me at my age the numbers do not make sense. If I was 20 years younger in my 30’s I would possibly get a week as I am a big Disney fan.

Now if they keep going up they might surpass that sweet spot but as in other systems there are always buyers that pay the retail price with no questions asked.

And my guess is these buyers love any freebie they get in the mail from them.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
It is demand driven. If people stop going, prices will drop. .. I am not trying to defend Disney but just bring some perspective to this.

I hear you, TravelTime - your point is spot on. We went to WDW once when our kids were young and have not been back since. In part because of the cost but also in part that Universal attractions were much more popular with our kids. I know Disney has tried to modernize and keep pace with Universal for the early teen years age group but in doing so have raised prices so much that I think they have list a significant number of people to future visits. I still think everyone goes once, but the number of repeat visits from those out of state is likely to drop until ticket prices decline. At least that's my opinion. Obviously, Disney is not filing for Chapter 7, 13 or any other related type of protection yet.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC has consistently found the sweet spot. Their timeshares are highly desirable and at retail they have been a better buy then most other timeshares as they have resale value.

For me at my age the numbers do not make sense. If I was 20 years younger in my 30’s I would possibly get a week as I am a big Disney fan.

Now if they keep going up they might surpass that sweet spot but as in other systems there are always buyers that pay the retail price with no questions asked.

And my guess is these buyers love any freebie they get in the mail from them.

Panina,
What does a resale week cost these days in DVC? Just a rough guess if you would please.