• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

cheapest entry to RCI

Yellowfin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to enroll in RCI just to have access to the cash deals. I am already an Interval member. What is the cheapest way to become an RCI member (weeks or points)?

From reading other posts, I was thinking that an EOY 1 bedroom Grandview Las Vegas worth 49,000 RCI points would do the job. The maintenance fee is about 200 per year (approx 400 for an EY contract /2). I see that i can get it virtually for free.

1) is this a good entry? What other options are out there?

2) I am still going to pay 200 dollars a year plus the RCI annual fee. Am i going to be able to get anything decent for the 49,000 points? This is not the primary point to buy it but i do not want to have a zero benefit for the $200 per year

3) even if my purchase serves its purpose for a while, i do not want to be stuck with it in case i want to sell. I know i may have to offer some incentives (free closing etc) but the timeshare i buy does not have to be something nobody will ever want at any price.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I would like to enroll in RCI just to have access to the cash deals. I am already an Interval member. What is the cheapest way to become an RCI member (weeks or points)?

From reading other posts, I was thinking that an EOY 1 bedroom Grandview Las Vegas worth 49,000 RCI points would do the job. The maintenance fee is about 200 per year (approx 400 for an EY contract /2). I see that i can get it virtually for free.

1) is this a good entry? What other options are out there?

2) I am still going to pay 200 dollars a year plus the RCI annual fee. Am i going to be able to get anything decent for the 49,000 points? This is not the primary point to buy it but i do not want to have a zero benefit for the $200 per year

3) even if my purchase serves its purpose for a while, i do not want to be stuck with it in case i want to sell. I know i may have to offer some incentives (free closing etc) but the timeshare i buy does not have to be something nobody will ever want at any price.
Does the week you have in II have dual affiliation in RCI too. If it does you can be a member of RCI too. They will verify you own the week but you never have to deposit iit and can use the cash deals.

Yellowfin

TUG Member
Reaction score
none of my weeks has dual affiliation. This is certainly an alternative though, a cheap Eoy spb or sdo may do the job.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
That is a good deal and I would go for it.

There are triennial years at Grandview Las Vegas too that would give you even lower maintenance fees. But the 49,000 EOY would give you enough more points to be able to have more options. You can borrow points from the next use year or rent more points if you need more points. You can get some really nice discounted point reservations if you can travel within 2-5 weeks of the check in date.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We went for eBay Grandview 1BR triennial points unit as our minimalist RCI toe-hold.

So far, so good.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Problem is that those bi- and tri-ennial Grandviews in Points are kind of the Holy Grail. The secret is out and bidding can get 'lively', if not downright expensive.

Jim

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
One thing to keep in mind that rci points memberships are more expensive than rci weeks memberships. Points memberships are $220 to set up for one year and then $229 every two years and they almost never have promotions. RCI weeks memberships are $99 per year or $179 every two years but they have 2 for 1 promotions every couple of years. There are EOY 1 BR SBP with MF of $220 per year and then every other year you could choose to use, rent or deposit in RCI or II.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Another cost to bear in mind is that many RCI exchanges and getaways now have resort fees, parking fees, or mandatory All Inclusive fees primarily at Mexico and Caribbean properties. Many Hilton properties now charge $25 - $40 a day on top of the exchange fees and maintenance. AI fees can run $100 - $175/per person per day. You need to factor this into the "low"cost of your timeshare. These fees will only increase over time.

Yellowfin

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind that rci points memberships are more expensive than rci weeks memberships. Points memberships are $220 to set up for one year and then $229 every two years and they almost never have promotions. RCI weeks memberships are $99 per year or $179 every two years but they have 2 for 1 promotions every couple of years. There are EOY 1 BR SBP with MF of $220 per year and then every other year you could choose to use, rent or deposit in RCI or II.
I did not realize that RCI points membership was more expensive. In this case an eoy 1 br sbp may make more sense:

1)I can still trade it in Interval and (based on what i read on this forum) i kind of know what to expect. I also suspect that, because SPB and Interval belong to MVC, one may not expect radical changes to the way it currently trades.
2) i can enroll it in RCI weeks. As you say, I do not have to trade, i can just use it for access.

Does anyone know if a 1 bedroom spb does have any trading power in RCI?

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Problem is that those bi- and tri-ennial Grandviews in Points are kind of the Holy Grail. The secret is out and bidding can get 'lively', if not downright expensive.
We held out for a long time trying to buy a triennial 1BR Grandview unit worth 1/6 of 122,000 points.

After close to a year of not seeing any like that on eBay, we sniped in a winning bid on 1 worth 1/6 of 98,000 points (the Grandview unit we still have).

So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Grandview Triennial or a 28,000 Point account at a Wyndham resort with low fees.

Grandview would close much faster.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I did not realize that RCI points membership was more expensive. In this case an eoy 1 br sbp may make more sense:

The more important thing than the few bucks difference in the cost of the annual membership of an RCI points account vs a weeks account is that you will see much more inventory available with a points account vs a weeks account.

Weeks account owners see the inventory that is deposited for trade by other weeks owners. When a weeks owner deposits their week they get TPUs, Trading Power Units, that they can use to book other stays. Points account owners see that same inventory plus they see all the underlying inventory that all points account owners points are based on. So points owners see weeks inventory and points inventory but weeks owners only see weeks inventory.

I know first hand how much more inventory a points owner sees than a weeks owner sees because we are points and my sister and BIL are weeks. I discovered this a few years ago when I was telling my sister about a stay I was seeing. She logged in on her account and we had one of those her saying what are you talking about and me saying what do you mean you don't see it conversations where you think the other person is being an idiot. The next time I had to call into RCI for something I asked about it and got the above explanation.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am not sure why anyone would want RCI for the cash deals. I am an RCI member and I never even look at it. Interval is much better.

jbiza

TUG Member
Reaction score

With respect to # 2), you can also use an average of 7500 RCI points ( plus an exchange fee) to get decent weeks on short notice.

So, by just doing that you could get 6 weeks for the 49,000 RCI points. There are decent properties available when using 7500 RCI points particularly in Las Vegas & Florida. That would be a benefit for the $200. per year. :cool:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why anyone would want RCI for the cash deals. I am an RCI member and I never even look at it. Interval is much better.

You may want to simply check off the Extra Vacation box when you are searching. I use RCI Weeks a lot for the cash deals. There have been many times weeks I want are 25 TPUs + exchange fee or $500 EV. It makes no sense to use TPUs to secure these weeks. We also travel a lot in New England and the cash deals are great (and sometimes they can't be found with TPUs). Example: I have a high demand ski week secured with cash via RCI in a 2BR for $700 for the week - it was ONLY available as cash. If I was only searching with TPUs I would have never seen it.

AND....the RCI deals I find in New England are usually cheaper than II cash weeks.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Because we were able to be very flexible in our travel even before my husband retired in February we were and are able to use the discounted point reservations that I find in the last 2-5 weeks before check in. I find great reservations for 4900, 6000 and 7500 points and we used 16 of those weeks this year alone. We stayed at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort over Martin Luther King week, several times at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in a two bedroom unit, several times at Reunion in a 3 bedroom/3 bath unit, at the new Wyndham Austin resort right after it opened, at Caloosa Cove in Islamorada, FL, and Grandview Las Vegas for 17 nights.

I've booked a one bedroom/2bath savanna view unit at Disney's Animal Kingdom Kidani Village for 23,500 points which is still discounted but not as cheap as the other resorts I've booked. My husband was still working and wasn't wanting to use the vacation days to join our granddaughter and I but I insisted. We go to Orlando a lot as we live in Florida, have Disney Florida resident week day select annual passes. He'd stayed at Saratoga Springs before so wasn't understanding why I was making such a big deal out of him joining us at the Animal Kingdom resort. I had stayed there before in a savanna view unit and knew what to expect. He is the first one up and the first morning he was there he took his coffee out on the balcony to watch the animals right below. When our granddaughter woke up and joined him I don't know which one of them was more excited. That was in the Spring of 2017 and they both still talk about that stay.

In the past five years here are some of the other resorts I've booked for us or my sister and BIL with the discounted point reservations. Yes, I book stays for my sister and BIL because they can't find squat with their weeks account compared to what I find for them. Some of these resorts we've stayed at several times or had holiday weeks too. These are just the ones I remember off the top of my head and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. Remember every single one of these resorts were booked with discounted point reservations.

Wyndham Star Island, Orlando
Vacation Village at Parkway, Orlando
Summer Bay, Orlando
Regal Palm Villas, Orlando
Anchorage, Key Largo
Ventura at Boca Raton
La Boca Casa, Boca Raton
Plantation Beach Club at Indian River, Stuart, FL (HGVC, Hilton Grand Vacation Club resort)
Sunisands, New Smyrna Beach
Charter Club on Marco Island (HGVC)
Vanderbilt Beach Club, Naples
Gulf Pointe Intervals, Naples
Caribe Beach Resort, Sanibel
Casa Ybel, Sanibel (HGVC)
Sanibel Beach Club
Lighthouse Resort, Sanibel
Plantation Beach Resort, Captiva (HGVC)
Plantation House, Captiva (HGVC)
Sarasota Sands, Sarasota
Wyndham Smoky Mountains, Tennessee
Wyndham Fairfield Bay, Arkansas
Ocean Palms at Port Royal, Hilton Head, SC
I know I've booked at least 2 or 3 other resorts on Hilton Head because my sister and BIL love HHI.
Ram's Horn Village, Estes, Colorado

When I figure in my maintenance fees, the RCI annual dues, the dues for RCI platinum to come up with what a stay costs us with the $239 exchange fee that makes out total cost for the 2018 stays:
$287.24 for the 4900 point stays
$298.08 for the 6000 point stays
$312.84 for the 7500 point stays
Our 17 night stay at Grandview Las Vegas this Spring total cost was $572.29 or $33.66 a night. Because we pay to get the platinum benefits at 14 days we got a free upgrade from a one bedroom unit to a two bedroom lock off. This one of the 5 free upgrades on the unit size we got just in 2018.

We just got back from spending a week at Silver Lake Resort in Orlando in a two bedroom unit. I booked it back in May during a sale and paid $213.49 for the week. As a platinum member we get a 10% discount on the sale week prices. We really liked the resort, our unit and the location. We will definitely go back if I find another sale week. Some RCI sales are better than others; in the price, the range of dates and the amount of inventory. As owners at Grandview, part of the Vacation Village family of resorts, we get two weeks a year that we just pay the exchange fee and can book within 45 days of check in. There is a huge number of resorts, not just the different Vacation Village resorts, that we can book with those Vacation Village extra weeks.

One of the resorts we own at also now trades in II and we got a free year's membership this year. I won't be spending our money to renew it. Every time I've looked I have yet to see any of their deals that were less than almost $500 for a week stay. And I wasn't impressed with what I saw either. But I wasn't depositing anything for trade, just looking at the sale or getaway weeks.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Because we were able to be very flexible in our travel even before my husband retired in February we were and are able to use the discounted point reservations that I find in the last 2-5 weeks before check in. I find great reservations for 4900, 6000 and 7500 points and we used 16 of those weeks this year alone. We stayed at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort over Martin Luther King week, several times at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in a two bedroom unit, several times at Reunion in a 3 bedroom/3 bath unit, at the new Wyndham Austin resort right after it opened, at Caloosa Cove in Islamorada, FL, and Grandview Las Vegas for 17 nights.

I've booked a one bedroom/2bath savanna view unit at Disney's Animal Kingdom Kidani Village for 23,500 points which is still discounted but not as cheap as the other resorts I've booked. My husband was still working and wasn't wanting to use the vacation days to join our granddaughter and I but I insisted. We go to Orlando a lot as we live in Florida, have Disney Florida resident week day select annual passes. He'd stayed at Saratoga Springs before so wasn't understanding why I was making such a big deal out of him joining us at the Animal Kingdom resort. I had stayed there before in a savanna view unit and knew what to expect. He is the first one up and the first morning he was there he took his coffee out on the balcony to watch the animals right below. When our granddaughter woke up and joined him I don't know which one of them was more excited. That was in the Spring of 2017 and they both still talk about that stay.

In the past five years here are some of the other resorts I've booked for us or my sister and BIL with the discounted point reservations. Yes, I book stays for my sister and BIL because they can't find squat with their weeks account compared to what I find for them. Some of these resorts we've stayed at several times or had holiday weeks too. These are just the ones I remember off the top of my head and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. Remember every single one of these resorts were booked with discounted point reservations.

Wyndham Star Island, Orlando
Vacation Village at Parkway, Orlando
Summer Bay, Orlando
Regal Palm Villas, Orlando
Anchorage, Key Largo
Ventura at Boca Raton
La Boca Casa, Boca Raton
Plantation Beach Club at Indian River, Stuart, FL (HGVC, Hilton Grand Vacation Club resort)
Sunisands, New Smyrna Beach
Charter Club on Marco Island (HGVC)
Vanderbilt Beach Club, Naples
Gulf Pointe Intervals, Naples
Caribe Beach Resort, Sanibel
Casa Ybel, Sanibel (HGVC)
Sanibel Beach Club
Lighthouse Resort, Sanibel
Plantation Beach Resort, Captiva (HGVC)
Plantation House, Captiva (HGVC)
Sarasota Sands, Sarasota
Wyndham Smoky Mountains, Tennessee
Wyndham Fairfield Bay, Arkansas
Ocean Palms at Port Royal, Hilton Head, SC
I know I've booked at least 2 or 3 other resorts on Hilton Head because my sister and BIL love HHI.
Ram's Horn Village, Estes, Colorado

When I figure in my maintenance fees, the RCI annual dues, the dues for RCI platinum to come up with what a stay costs us with the $239 exchange fee that makes out total cost for the 2018 stays:
$287.24 for the 4900 point stays
$298.08 for the 6000 point stays
$312.84 for the 7500 point stays
Our 17 night stay at Grandview Las Vegas this Spring total cost was $572.29 or $33.66 a night. Because we pay to get the platinum benefits at 14 days we got a free upgrade from a one bedroom unit to a two bedroom lock off. This one of the 5 free upgrades on the unit size we got just in 2018.

We just got back from spending a week at Silver Lake Resort in Orlando in a two bedroom unit. I booked it back in May during a sale and paid $213.49 for the week. As a platinum member we get a 10% discount on the sale week prices. We really liked the resort, our unit and the location. We will definitely go back if I find another sale week. Some RCI sales are better than others; in the price, the range of dates and the amount of inventory. As owners at Grandview, part of the Vacation Village family of resorts, we get two weeks a year that we just pay the exchange fee and can book within 45 days of check in. There is a huge number of resorts, not just the different Vacation Village resorts, that we can book with those Vacation Village extra weeks.

One of the resorts we own at also now trades in II and we got a free year's membership this year. I won't be spending our money to renew it. Every time I've looked I have yet to see any of their deals that were less than almost $500 for a week stay. And I wasn't impressed with what I saw either. But I wasn't depositing anything for trade, just looking at the sale or getaway weeks.
Definitely a guide how to successfully use your timeshare and membership.

I will just add in my rci tpu account I have gotten great reduced short term trades, most recently the Surf Club at Marco Island. I think timing is every and looking often is the key.

With II I recently got a getaway for under $300 at Marriott in II. I have seen many getaways in the $400 range that are very desirable. With II you must look everyday to get great pricing as I have seen pricing fluctuate up or down within days.

II also give AC certificates which rates can range from $199-$300’s to use then. Last week I went to Marriott Cypress Harbour using one for $199. Many fabulous deals using them.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
This is all helpful information. It seems like RCI provides value if you know the good resorts to select. We have only used RCI once to book a Tradewinds sailing cruise as an extra vacation. It was still expensive since the AI fee is high but a bit cheaper than Tradewinds’ cash price. I may explore RCI a bit more.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I think timing is every abd looking often is the key.

With II I recently got a getaway for under $300 at. Marriott in II. I have seen many getaways in the $400 range that are very desirable. With II you must look everyday to get great pricing as I have seen pricing fluctuate up or down within days.

II also give AC certificates which rates can range from $199-$300’s to use then. Last week I went to Marriott Cypress Harbour using one for $199. Many fabulous deals using them.

I look fairly frequently with RCI but have only looked sporadically with II. I'm having a duh moment because I absolutely should know better than to have assumed that just because I wasn't impressed with what I saw on II the times I did look that didn't mean what I was seeing was the best or even better selection.

It is my turn to serve as a lesson to be learned. I have to admit that it was just laziness on my part for not wanting to do the work to learn another timeshare system or exchange company. With timeshares no matter how much you know about what you do have there is always something changing or something new to learn. When you haven't used another timeshare system or exchange company enough to have advanced beyond rank beginner to at least an intermediate level of knowledge it is my own experience and also my observation from other people's posts that we fall into the categories of not understanding how they work, being misinformed or knowing so little we have no idea what we are talking about. This time it applies to me and now I'm shamed into learning more about II before I let the membership drop! It sounds like I after I do that I will be glad I took the time to do it.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Does the week you have in II have dual affiliation in RCI too. If it does you can be a member of RCI too. They will verify you own the week but you never have to deposit iit and can use the cash deals.

REALLY? So I could be a member of II because Cold Spring is dually affiliated, but not have to deposit to there? Access to the getaways would be what I'd be looking for.... Hmm....I learned something, too!

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I look fairly frequently with RCI but have only looked sporadically with II. I'm having a duh moment because I absolutely should know better than to have assumed that just because I wasn't impressed with what I saw on II the times I did look that didn't mean what I was seeing was the best or even better selection.

It is my turn to serve as a lesson to be learned. I have to admit that it was just laziness on my part for not wanting to do the work to learn another timeshare system or exchange company. With timeshares no matter how much you know about what you do have there is always something changing or something new to learn. When you haven't used another timeshare system or exchange company enough to have advanced beyond rank beginner to at least an intermediate level of knowledge it is my own experience and also my observation from other people's posts that we fall into the categories of not understanding how they work, being misinformed or knowing so little we have no idea what we are talking about. This time it applies to me and now I'm shamed into learning more about II before I let the membership drop! It sounds like I after I do that I will be glad I took the time to do it.
That’s whats great with tug. Each of us have different experiences and knowledge and we all share what we know. No one can know everything but all tuggers combined know everything.

Each system has its perks. Learning them is the secret for maximizing how best to use them. For a long time I disliked RCI but finally realized short term trading in the tpu system was a bargain and that is how I will optimize RCI use.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
REALLY? So I could be a member of II because Cold Spring is dually affiliated, but not have to deposit to there? Access to the getaways would be what I'd be looking for.... Hmm....I learned something, too!
Yes Really, II will only verify you own what you tell them.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation

Jan the best way I have found to search II, search by resort code and enter this list as a cut and paste. Pick dates current to as far out as you can generally 2 years. This will show you all the top tier resorts like Marriott’s, Four Seasons, and Hyatt’s and what is currently available

HRP, HNS, HWP, HYS, HSH, HYK, HYN, HBK, HMS, HSL, HYP, HYA, HCC, HYB, HYI, HRA, LFP, SXP, STW, SDI, VTA, PGA, PGN, SRM, FSA, SCT, VIO, VO1, VIT, SVV, VKW, VVM, VCC, VIS, VS1, WDL, KAA, KA1, KAN, KA1, WKV, WLR, WMH, WPV, WV1, WRF, WEJ, WSJ, MAW, MFC, MGO, MMB, MPU, MKO, MOW, MAO, MCP, MBY, MMC, MSE, MSF, MDS, MPD, MGR, MSK, MCV, MMO, NCV, MSU, MKW, MPB, MUZ, MGA, MG1, MG3, MG5, MOU, MCU, MGC, MC1, MGK, MM1, WNA, MGI, KIR, YAM, YOU, VVR, GZE, CIU, POE, BG1, BGD, GBR, PZZ, MMY, WFR, GRI, CL3, CLD, IN1, INN, SFW, SW1, AIK, DMO, TRJ, CCK, BKL, ISN

If you want Premier Boutique resorts use this list.

MGI, KIR, YAM, YOU, VVR, GZE, CIU, POE, BG1, BGD, GBR, PZZ, MMY, WFR, GRI, CL3, CLD, IN1, INN, SFW, SW1, AIK, DMO, TRJ, CCK, BKL, ISN

Interestingly I just got a Hyatt TS unit and was looking what I could find different between using it and a WM generic unit. The lists for each were about the same except WM will pull Hyatt’s and Hyatt’s are blocked from pulling Hyatt’s in II, but internally seems easy to exchange.