• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Large DVC Annual Dues Increase for 2019

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
it is interesting that contracts continue to be sold on ebay and sometimes won at even lower prices: 250 annual points for $5625. Since it is the end of the year, some of these purchases may escape ROFR. Good for the buyers!
View attachment 9275
Unless the broker files a rofr with $20k+ selling price, DVC will snatch this up. There is no way this will pass rofr at $28 a point. Even during the great recession this might not have made it past rofr.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe. Depends on whether or not they have a buyer or not. DVC is not trying to prop up prices. They are only trying to feed their inventory needs. As DannyTS alludes to, the end-of-year volume may work in this buyer's favor. If not, they only lose a little time.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will someone pick a DVC Resort and convert the cost per point to what the MF would be if based on owning a Week the old fashioned way. Any Resort is fine I am just curious...

George

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Will someone pick a DVC Resort and convert the cost per point to what the MF would be if based on owning a Week the old fashioned way. Any Resort is fine I am just curious...

George

It's a little complicated due to point costs per night being different related to weekday vs. weekend as well as based on season (for instance, nights around Thanksgiving are more expensive than nights earlier that week). However, for our home resort of Boardwalk Villas, which in 2019 will cost $7.1722/point, Thanksgiving week from Saturday before to Saturday after will be 312 points for a preferred view 2-bedroom unit (overlooking the Boardwalk or the pool or gardens), or $2238 in MFs. The following week, Sunday December 1 to Sunday December 8, is one of the lowest point costs for the entire year, so that same 2-bedroom unit would be 269 points or $1929 in MFs.

Other size units, different views, and different resorts have different point costs per night. BWV, being older, has some of the lowest point costs per night.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the average cost per night to stay at a DVC resort.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
You can use this link to look up points per night and MF by resort, season, room size and view category. It varies a lot depending on these factors. It can be super cheap if you go low season in a studio or super expensive if you book a 2 or 3 bedroom during high season with a view in the most expensive resorts. The points per night can range from 9 points a night to 100s of points per night. Based on 2018 MFs, I usually multiplied by $7 to calculate an average price per night although for the Tuggers who require details, you can get more precise with this chart:

https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/point-charts/

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

George
DVC is more flexible than most so if one is able to use DVC in a different way such as different sizes or less than a week, the value increases. Using round numbers and making assumptions DVC cost of 300 points at $30K and yearly dues in the range of $2000 (SSR) for a 2 BR. Marriott Trust Points for 3000 at around $15K and yearly dues in the $1800. Legacy Grande Vista at around $2=4000 and yearly dues at around $1350. You also have to include the future dues increase and the TVM/Opportunity costs. I'm not where I can run out the numbers for long term right now but large picture view Trust points for Marriott would be around the same as DVC but give much better none Disney options. DVC gives on property options. A legacy week will be MUCH cheaper over time, guessing dues alone will be a $20K difference over 20 years and the up front difference in the range of $60000 if you would have the money invested so approaching a 6 figure difference over 20 yrs.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I understand Dean’s analysis and agree. I think DVC is a premium product. Dean compared the most cost effective DVC product (SSR), although at a pretty high number of points. If you compare Grand Floridian lake view or Animal Kingdom savannah view (my favorite DVC resorts and view categories) to an Orlando Marriott, especially a legacy Marriott week, the delta woud be even greater. Both DVC and MVC (points) make no sense from a pure financial perspective.

DVC is likely to only be with me for 2-5 years max since it does not really fit my vacation patterns. I bought it for family members, not for myself. I am finding DVC to be a lot of fun so I decided not to sell right away. Most people who buy DVC enjoy it for emotional and convenience reasons that are unquantifiable. Where else (outside of a safari) can you wake up and sit on your balcony and watch all the animals while sipping tea in the morning. Disney is an experience in and of itself that you do not get staying offsite. It will almost always be more cost effective to stay offsite at Vistana or Marriott or elsewhere.

In my case, I would do the analysis differently and compare timeshares to my previous vacations. I used to spend at least double the average MF for any of the places I go now. So based on my usage patterns, I am likely saving in the 6 figures over 20 years no matter what timeshares I own. However, vacationers like me do not to a NPV analysis on vacation spending.

From reading many of the DVC posts, it appears there are not many Tuggers who own DVC. Many of the comments and questions in the various DVC threads seem to be from non-owners. It is very easy to calculate the cost per week in various room types with the chart I posted several times. But we keep getting the same questions about cost.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When people ask me if it is worth buying DVC I ask three questions - Do you need to stay 'on property', can you plan 7 and ideally 11 months in advance, and do you plan to visit WDW at least every other year for the next 10 years. Only if the answer to all of these questions is "Yes" should you really consider buying DVC.

And so asking how much DVC costs vs MVCI isn't that useful a question. MVCI will always be cheaper...much cheaper if you buy and use an Orlando resale week. The real question is how much DVC costs vs the price of paying cash to stay at a WDW resort - really a DVC resort if you want to stay in a 1, 2, or 3BR villa.

The kicker being that if you really want to stay 'on property' and you really want to stay in a multi-room villa and you really want to stay at a 'Peak time' - e.g. President's week, Easter, or Christmas/New Years - cash villas are nearly impossible to find.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree. As a DVC owner using my points at Grand Floridian, their flagship resort, I would pay about $350-$400 in MFs per night for a 1 bedroom villa with lake view vs $1000 to $1500 a night as a cash pay customer reserving through Disney directly. Or you could rent points from a broker or another member for at least double above the MF. Marriott does not compare.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
DVC is a somewhat unique situation. It's a crossover between timeshare oriented people and Disney oriented people. The 2 groups will look at it differently. The Disney group will tend to stay on property for cash and not have much consideration for other timeshares. Sometimes they cross over, there are a number of examples here on TUG of people that started out with DVC as a Disney only though then branched out, I'd include myself in that group although it's been over 20 years since that conversion took place. As such DVC can save money but it really depends on what you compare it to. IMO, comparing to what the same unit would have cost on cash is a fools comparison other than just for fun. The 2 proper potential comparisons if on property is the goal are what one would have paid on discounted cash or renting aftermarket. For some I'd add in the non DVC options to the mix as well.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The 2 proper potential comparisons if on property is the goal are what one would have paid on discounted cash or renting aftermarket.
I'm certainly familiar with renting aftermarket...and have rented out my points on occasion. However, when I've been shy of points and tried to get DVC reservations for the dates I need - President's week, Easter, or Christmas/New Years - I've come up empty and had to stay off property.

But I'm very curious...how do you get a discounted cash stay? Through Disney or someone else?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think every person has a different spending pattern. For example, I would never purchase points on the after market, rent from someone else, or stay offsite if my goal were to go to WDW. Call me a fool then.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly familiar with renting aftermarket...and have rented out my points on occasion. However, when I've been shy of points and tried to get DVC reservations for the dates I need - President's week, Easter, or Christmas/New Years - I've come up empty and had to stay off property.

But I'm very curious...how do you get a discounted cash stay? Through Disney or someone else?
All cash rentals ultimately go through Disney but there are ways to get discounted cash stays. They are often offered directly to guests who have stayed on property previously, based on the area (FL, CA, sometimes other states, CAN, UK), pass holders, military, Disney CC holders and AAA come to mind. Plus there are codes that anyone can use if you find out what they are. And there are specials like free dining with a full price room. DVC owners also get a 25% discount on DVC rooms on cash subject to availability.

I think every person has a different spending pattern. For example, I would never purchase points on the after market, rent from someone else, or stay offsite if my goal were to go to WDW. Call me a fool then.
If you're saying one should only buy retail and never rent privately to stay, consider yourself labeled.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All cash rentals ultimately go through Disney but there are ways to get discounted cash stays. They are often offered directly to guests who have stayed on property previously, based on the area (FL, CA, sometimes other states, CAN, UK), pass holders, military, Disney CC holders and AAA come to mind. Plus there are codes that anyone can use if you find out what they are. And there are specials like free dining with a full price room. DVC owners also get a 25% discount on DVC rooms on cash subject to availability.

If you're saying one should only buy retail and never rent privately to stay, consider yourself labeled.

No need to get nasty.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No need to get nasty.
Not nasty, just agreeing with you. I take it that was your point then.

ETA: I wasn’t trying to be mean but I really couldn’t believe anyone could say buy only retail and rent only cash direct with a straight face. I assumed you were being tongue in cheek.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It does not really matter what we compare to, since it does not change what we pay as a DVC owner. I do think people have different frames of reference based on what they would have rented, if they were not an owner. That is okay. It is okay for some of us to be “fools” because we have other priorities so convenience and experience are more important and others to be “wiser” because you are able and willing to optimize your every dollar. I will proudly wear the “FOOL” hat.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

ETA: I wasn’t trying to be mean but I really couldn’t believe anyone could say buy only retail and rent only cash direct with a straight face. I assumed you were being tongue in cheek.

I used to buy all my vacations on Expedia or direct from the hotels. So yes, many of us are coming to timesharing with a different frame of reference. I am saying this with a straight face. No joking. However, shouldn’t TUG be happy to hear I have gained wisdom now? My frame of reference is still what I would do or would have done if I did not own timeshares. Not what you would do because I never did what you did before owning timeshares. Does that make sense?

P.S. I never said people should buy only retail or rent only cash. All I said was my frame of reference was retail and cash. Now that I am a Tugger, this is foolish. But I have seen the light now, thanks to TUG.

P.S.S. If I need to rent a hotel room, even now, I do look for the best deals, but I still rent from Marriott to get points. If it is a non-Marriott owned resort, then I simply compare Expedia (or similar online TAs) vs renting directly from the hotel. If you want to stay in a hotel, those are truly the only options. If there are other ways to get discounts on hotel rooms, I would love to know.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

This is what I said that caused you to react:
“I think every person has a different spending pattern. For example, I would never purchase points on the after market, rent from someone else, or stay offsite if my goal were to go to WDW. Call me a fool then.”

Then you responded:
“If you are saying one should buy retail and never rent privately to stay, consider yourself labeled.”

Sounds nasty to me.

We all have different frames of reference and different needs. That is why TUG can be great. We will never always agree but no need to get defensive.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what I said that caused you to react:
“I think every person has a different spending pattern. For example, I would never purchase points on the after market, rent from someone else, or stay offsite if my goal were to go to WDW. Call me a fool then.”

Then you responded:
“If you are saying one should buy retail and never rent privately to stay, consider yourself labeled.”

Sounds nasty to me.

We all have different frames of reference and different needs. That is why TUG can be great. We will never always agree but no need to get defensive.
It wasn’t intended as nasty or mean and the short written postings are difficult to convey subtleties, I almost added LOL to be honest. Since you took it personally, I apologize for that. Still my opinion for anyone that believes buying DVC retail is the only way to go in general would be much more strongly than what you reacted negatively to. Are there reasons and situation where it makes sense or is the right choice, absolutely but not for the the exchange options, maybe for the perks for certain situations for a smaller total number of points.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It wasn’t intended as nasty or mean and the short written postings are difficult to convey subtleties, I almost added LOL to be honest. Since you took it personally, I apologize for that. Still my opinion for anyone that believes buying DVC retail is the only way to go in general would be much more strongly than what you reacted negatively to. Are there reasons and situation where it makes sense or is the right choice, absolutely but not for the the exchange options, maybe for the perks for certain situations for a smaller total number of points.

I generally agree with your POV. Thank you for clarifying. I am glad you did not have any mean intentions. I really appreciate your explanation of what you meant.

I think it is best to buy DVC resale. I bought the majority of my DVC contracts resale and I have purchased all my other timeshares resale. I would not pay cash to stay at DVC or even Marriott. If I were not a DVC owner, I would not bother with Disney at all. So all in all, we are in agreement.

All I was trying to say is that my point of comparison is different than yours. You have been a timeshare owner for 20 years and I am a newbie. I am overjoyed to have found TUG and to be saving so much money now and being able to stay in bigger and better accommodations for half or less the cost of a hotel room.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I generally agree with your POV. Thank you for clarifying. I am glad you did not have any mean intentions. I really appreciate your explanation of what you meant.

I think it is best to buy DVC resale. I bought the majority of my DVC contracts resale and I have purchased all my other timeshares resale. I would not pay cash to stay at DVC or even Marriott. If I were not a DVC owner, I would not bother with Disney at all. So all in all, we are in agreement.

All I was trying to say is that my point of comparison is different than yours. You have been a timeshare owner for 20 years and I am a newbie. I am overjoyed to have found TUG and to be saving so much money now and being able to stay in bigger and better accommodations for half or less the cost of a hotel room.
It's all good and discussion, even with disagreement, is often helpful for others. And truthfully I'm more likely to write a post with others in mind that the person I'm responding to. It's interesting that timeshares in general and DVC in particular tend to lead to emotional decisions that aren't the best from otherwise bright, calculating people and I'd include myself in that. I think back over the years and I've made some very good decisions in timeshares and some that weren't as good but in many ways there was a significant element of luck involved. I have few regrets but I have a few, one Marriott purchase that could have been reasonable had the DC points not overshadowed it and a couple I should have purchased but didn't, VWL at $42/pt for 160 points and a Platinum Aruba Ocean Club 2 BR a number of years ago. I did regret somewhat a Harbour Pointe purchase but I divested myself of that for what I had in it. The other component is every situation is different but if one tries to cover every variation, you end up with noting so I stick to big picture principles that are almost always true but there might be variability. For example, there are situations where it makes sense to buy DVC retail assuming buying in at all makes sense. Merry Xmas.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
I used to buy all my vacations on Expedia or direct from the hotels. ... If I need to rent a hotel room, even now, I do look for the best deals, but I still rent from Marriott to get points.
I would not pay cash to stay at DVC or even Marriott.
Do you mean that you do pay cash to stay in Marriott hotel rooms but would not pay cash to stay in Marriott timeshares? The cash rates for renting most timeshare condos are generally pretty steep. It seems like it would be easier and a better deal to pay cash for a hotel suite or a special room package than to rent timeshare condos from the management company. I can see someone adding a cash night to a timeshare points stay to avoid moving rooms between two linked reservations though.

...discussion, even with disagreement, is often helpful for others. And truthfully I'm more likely to write a post with others in mind that the person I'm responding to. ... every situation is different but if one tries to cover every variation, you end up with noting so I stick to big picture principles that are almost always true but there might be variability. ... Merry Xmas.
So true. :thumbup: