• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I think I screwed up My Hawaii trip :-(

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So DS is getting married on Oahu.I had a week booked at Maui Schooner in March to spend before his wedding. Well, he was deployed and when he returned from deployment was diagnosed with stage II testicular cancer. Because of the Chem, they changed the date to April 11th. So first I focused on getting weeks for my son and I was able to secure him a week on Maui and a week on Kauai for his Honeymoon.

So for the past month, I have been trying to get rooms booked for DH other DS and myself, Oahu for the wedding and open to any other island for the week after....I mean going to Hawaii for 4 days is just a waste.

So I was offered a week on the big island and a week on Kauai each a day later than I wanted so I threw them back. I saw a 2 bed at Hawaiian Princess Makaha but thought something in town would be better.

So now that I didn't take those weeks everything has dried up and I have not seen a thing that will work. I check HTSE, Trading Places, Platinum, interval and GPX several times a day and there is nothing.

I am really regretting being so picky. I had been seeing Maui weeks regularly and a variety on GPX ( I just bought a week and it took forever to get the account set up). Now that I have the GPX...Nothing.

I am hoping that after the first maybe folks will make some deposits......I may end up with just 3 nights on Oahu if nothing pops.

FamilyEsq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ESJ - Puerto Rico
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North
I will be praying for your son.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
At this point can you just do a rental?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can do an owner rental? I just checked Marriott's Ko Olina, IMHO best resort on Oahu, the dates are available for check-in on Apr 5th through Apr 10th. I checked for 7 nights and it is cheaper to book check in for Apr 5/6/7 as compared to 8/9/10.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
There are also rentals available on Redweek. A trade would be nicer (price wise). Good luck.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have access to RCI and can roll the dice: book a rental that you can cancel a week or two out. Often, things pop up quite near to check in that others have cancelled and are too close in to be picked up by an ongoing search. I grabbed a couple of weeks this past summer that way. You may not get the very best possible resorts but you are likely to get something.

This is definitely not for the faint of heart. I would not have done it except that family circumstances required that I get some extra units for a long-planned vacation.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be praying for your son.

Thank you... he starts 4 th round in a couple of days and seems to be responding well.

I have reserved the 9th-12th on Oahu at Imperial Hawaii as a back up but will probably stay at Hale Koa if we have to rent. I have on going searches with everyone but RCI - dropped them a long time ago. I just hope that maybe folks will make their 2019 deposits or that there is a cancellation that I can catch... I am obsessed checking multiple times a day. It is also frustrating that trading places and Interval have rentals but not exchanges....I hate to rent because I have several banked weeks that I don't want to expire. Wanted to lock in something so I can book plane tickets......Just really glad I got his weeks booked.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,
I used to capture RCI data for Hawaiian resorts in support of our occasional practice of booking airfare prior to having an exchange.
Bottom line, most cancellations occur fairly close to check in since most are the result of some unplanned family emergency.
I did peruse my database but realized that the results were skewed for your April scenario since we are generally in Hawaii January and early February during which I never bothered to capture data.
Jack

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Easter is April 21 next year.
Not all but many schools schedule their Spring Break around Easter (either the week before or after). I only know this because it’s peak time at the Disney Parks. :cool:

As a result, you may have some competition the week after the wedding since more families may be looking to vacation that week. Definitely have a backup plan.

For example, next year NJ public schools have the week before Easter off (Monday, April 15 thru Friday, April 19). In previous years, they had Thursday and Good Friday off before Easter as well as the full week after Easter.

Good Luck :thumbup:

Last edited:

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck in sorting out your reservation/s.

Will keep your son in my prayers!

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Easter is April 21 next year.
Not all but many schools schedule their Spring Break around Easter (either the week before or after). I only know this because it’s peak time at the Disney Parks. :cool:

As a result, you may have some competition the week after the wedding since more families may be looking to vacation that week. Definitely have a backup plan...

Yep, that's EXACTLY my experience. I've been searching to trade for the same week (in a different location) without any luck. There are lots of units available in April, just not for the third week. Rentals are sky high!

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes Airfare and car rentals are high too :-(. I figured it was spring break somewhere.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Can you also travel the week before the wedding to help increase your odds of getting an exchange? :cool:

If you have to rent, maybe consider options where a timeshare exchange isn’t available.:ponder:

For example, using cash towards
- a stay on the Hilo side of the Big island
- a stay on the island of Lanai
- a stay in Hana on Maui
- a stay in Lanikai/Kailua Beach or the North Shore on Oahu
- a Hawaii Cruise on the Pride of America
- etc...

Here are some older threads that you might find helpful if you have to book a cash stay.