• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

T-Mobile CEO Warns Cable Industry to Prepare for Competition

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What is our tax payer FCC position in this dispute? They must be all on furlough LOL:confused::D !!!!!
This dispute is all about one item Money $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Big Money and what is going to happen when this contract ends next time and what will NBC and ABC do the take time their contract is up for renewal???.

Brett

Reaction score
What is our tax payer FCC position in this dispute? They must be all on furlough LOL:confused::D !!!!!
This dispute is all about one item Money $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Big Money and what is going to happen when this contract ends next time and what will NBC and ABC do the take time their contract is up for renewal???.

I don't know about the FCC but Verizon finally came to an agreement with the local ABC station in Hampton Roads so I'm happy

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is my final rant. Who is the arbitrator or mediator in this dispute? This could go on for weeks or months.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I think that it might be referring to when 5G becomes fully available.

In my case I have two choices, AT&T Uverse 18 MB/s (yeah sure!:rolleyes:) or one cable company (SHARED 100MB/s :mad:).

Once 5G becomes available, I will be able to choose my carrier OTA.

Then I can obtain content from any source.

Last edited:

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)

We go through this every time contracts are up for renewal. That’s not going to go away as long as we still have free trade! I don’t see tv viewing costs coming down at all, ever! Even cord cutting prices are going up. Several of the providers have recently raised their prices. Cable/Satellite prices will continue to rise and cord cutting cost will move right along with them. Why? Because they can! Although the two are tied together, I believe the big boys are worried far more by their stock holders than by their viewers! Raising prices makes the balance sheet better, ergo the stock prices go up. It’s a vicious cycle and we are their pawns.

This is my final rant. Who is the arbitrator or mediator in this dispute? This could go on for weeks or months.

Unless it’s in their contracts, there is no arbitrator. I would like to think the customer but in reality it’s more likely the advertisers and stockholders than us. Government could step in but, do we really want that? Not me.

Brett

Reaction score

I don't think there is an arbitrator in the cable TV disputes. In the interim get an antenna or use the internet for the lack of ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX channels

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
In the interim get an antenna or use the internet for the lack of ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX channels

Exactly! Unlike years past when cable was the only option for many, now you have multiple choices! I suspect the longer these types of disputes continue the cable companies will find many customers cancel their service as they discover the ease of transition to an internet based streaming service for local channels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brought an antenna yesterday. There were others in line buying antennas at Best Buy.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Exactly! Unlike years past when cable was the only option for many, now you have multiple choices! I suspect the longer these types of disputes continue the cable companies will find many customers cancel their service as they discover the ease of transition to an internet based streaming service for local channels.

Streaming services also have contract disputes. Unfortunately they are happening more frequently everywhere. Depending on one’s viewing needs, the streaming services are not much cheaper than cable channels. IMO they are nothing but cable wanna bees in their infancy. When I had PSVue I was paying about $20 less a month than my two year guarantee I pay with DISH. On top of that I had to pay the price for a DVR to record my locals, an OTA antenna to receive those local and a subscription for a guide to those locals! Cord cutting was better for me than staying with Directv but not as good as what I’m receiving with DISH. Nothing is perfect for everyone, thankfully.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Streaming services also have contract disputes.

The point is that today we have options. Years ago we did not.

Depending on one’s viewing needs, the streaming services are not much cheaper than cable channels.

Yet, that's the point. You now have the option to spend less, if you prefer. Competition helps.

As an example, according to the FCC Report on Cable Industry Prices from 2006 reviewing average prices across all communities from 1995-2005 basic cable plus expanded basic service was an average of $22.35 per month in 1995 and $43.04 in 2005. Prices were also 20.6% higher in noncompetitive communities. Digital and HDTV services were more expensive.

And according to the FCC report from 2016 in 2015 basic service was $23.79 and expanded basic $69.03.

The 2016 report has an interesting table showing the number of channels included with expanded basic service. In 2005 there were 70.5 channels and in 2015 181.3 channels. The cost per channel was less, but the cost went from $43.04 to $69.03. In markets with effective competition basic service included ~9 additional channels and expanded 25 additional channels as compared to areas without competition.

Also, the 2016 report shows the "aggregate average retransmission consent compensation fees paid per year per cable system". In 2013, it was $7,790,721 and in 2014 $12,715,686, or a 63.2% change. I'm not sure what it cost in 2018 but I can only imagine it was higher.

Sources:
https://www.fcc.gov/reports-researc...ces-reports/report-cable-industry-prices-2005
https://www.fcc.gov/reports-researc...ces-reports/report-cable-industry-prices-2016

As for local streaming channels (which I do not have, and am curious about...though see no reason to pay for them), it seems there are plenty of options now. For instance:

Sling TV: $25-40/mo (Cloud DVR up to 50 hours); in my area I can get local FOX, NBC, and CBS but not ABC; Sling promotes use of an antenna in combination with Sling.

PlayStation Vue: $45-80/mo (4 packages available; unlimited Cloud DVR)

Directv Now: $40-75/mo (5 packages available; Cloud DVR up to 20 hours)

YouTube TV: $40/mo (includes Cloud DVR with unlimited storage)

Hulu + Live TV: $39.99/mo (which includes original content, so more than just local channels, and includes Cloud DVR service for 50 hours); live tv only is available at $38.99, but I doubt they sell many.

Fubo TV: $39.99/mo (Cloud DVR up to 30 hours)

CBS All Access (which I do pay for some months out of the year, if 2018 was any example).

Most of these services seem to limit the number of included simultaneous connections to two. Of course, most also offer enhancements like HBO and other channels for an additional cost.

A distinction with these services as compared to cable is that these services do not have any long-term commitment. Cable companies often try to lock you in for a year.

Spectrum services my area and they want $45/mo for 12 months on their promotional price for cable tv, and are *required* to have at least one HD box at $7.50/mo. DVR is an additional $12.99/mo. Then there are options for more channels (which include HBO and others) for $20 or $40/mo. And these are their PROMOTIONAL prices.

BTW, an easy way to save some money if you have multiple TVs and set top boxes with some providers is to use a Roku with the cable company app instead on all but one TV (since it seems they require at least one box).

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are no winners in the dispute between Tribune and Spectrum. There are six (6) millions Plus Viewers, Hundreds of Business that have paid both companies for Advertising their Products, Sport Fans That Cannot view sporting events liked football, basketball, golf and tennis. All of these customers are losers.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Streaming services also have contract disputes. Unfortunately they are happening more frequently everywhere. Depending on one’s viewing needs, the streaming services are not much cheaper than cable channels. IMO they are nothing but cable wanna bees in their infancy. When I had PSVue I was paying about $20 less a month than my two year guarantee I pay with DISH. On top of that I had to pay the price for a DVR to record my locals, an OTA antenna to receive those local and a subscription for a guide to those locals! Cord cutting was better for me than staying with Directv but not as good as what I’m receiving with DISH. Nothing is perfect for everyone, thankfully.

Not where I live. We're saving over $120/month since we cut cable, and we had BASIC cable. No Netflix, no sports or movie channels, BASIC. Hate on cable all you like, anyone willing to pay cables exorbitant prices....well, good on you too. I have bridges for sale if you're also interested in those.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
There are no winners in the dispute between Tribune and Spectrum. There are six (6) millions Plus Viewers, Hundreds of Business that have paid both companies for Advertising their Products, Sport Fans That Cannot view sporting events liked football, basketball, golf and tennis. All of these customers are losers.

This goes on every time contracts are up for renewal when the parties don’t see eye to eye. DISH is in a fight right now with several NBC locals involved.

This shows how much of an increase your major networks are receiving from retransmission fees. “In the 10-year period between 2008-2018, retransmission fees collected by broadcasters went from about $500 million to $10.1 billion, an increase of 1,920 percent."

WINK-TV, channel 11, the Fort Myers, FL CBS affiliate has been removed from DISH due to a carriage dispute. WINK is owned by the Fort Myers Broadcasting Company.

Not where I live. We're saving over $120/month since we cut cable, and we had BASIC cable. No Netflix, no sports or movie channels, BASIC. Hate on cable all you like, anyone willing to pay cables exorbitant prices....well, good on you too. I have bridges for sale if you're also interested in those.

Not hating on any service.just making a factual statement. Don’t think I would buy any real estate right now but I’ll keep you in mind for future purchases!

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not hating on any service.just making a factual statement. Don’t think I would buy any real estate right now but I’ll keep you in mind for future purchases!

I don't consider your statement "the streaming services are not much cheaper than cable channels" factual at all. Not with the $1,440+ I'm saving annually having dropped cable in favor of streaming. Btw, I have much more content than I ever did with cable.

And, I'm not interested in selling any real estate. Just bridges ;)

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
The point is that today we have options. Years ago we did not.

Yet, that's the point. You now have the option to spend less, if you prefer. Competition helps.

As an example, according to the FCC Report on Cable Industry Prices from 2006 reviewing average prices across all communities from 1995-2005 basic cable plus expanded basic service was an average of $22.35 per month in 1995 and $43.04 in 2005. Prices were also 20.6% higher in noncompetitive communities. Digital and HDTV services were more expensive.

And according to the FCC report from 2016 in 2015 basic service was $23.79 and expanded basic $69.03.

The 2016 report has an interesting table showing the number of channels included with expanded basic service. In 2005 there were 70.5 channels and in 2015 181.3 channels. The cost per channel was less, but the cost went from $43.04 to $69.03. In markets with effective competition basic service included ~9 additional channels and expanded 25 additional channels as compared to areas without competition.

Also, the 2016 report shows the "aggregate average retransmission consent compensation fees paid per year per cable system". In 2013, it was $7,790,721 and in 2014 $12,715,686, or a 63.2% change. I'm not sure what it cost in 2018 but I can only imagine it was higher.

Sources:
https://www.fcc.gov/reports-researc...ces-reports/report-cable-industry-prices-2005
https://www.fcc.gov/reports-researc...ces-reports/report-cable-industry-prices-2016

As for local streaming channels (which I do not have, and am curious about...though see no reason to pay for them), it seems there are plenty of options now. For instance:

Sling TV: $25-40/mo (Cloud DVR up to 50 hours); in my area I can get local FOX, NBC, and CBS but not ABC; Sling promotes use of an antenna in combination with Sling.

PlayStation Vue: $45-80/mo (4 packages available; unlimited Cloud DVR)

Directv Now: $40-75/mo (5 packages available; Cloud DVR up to 20 hours)

YouTube TV: $40/mo (includes Cloud DVR with unlimited storage)

Hulu + Live TV: $39.99/mo (which includes original content, so more than just local channels, and includes Cloud DVR service for 50 hours); live tv only is available at $38.99, but I doubt they sell many.

Fubo TV: $39.99/mo (Cloud DVR up to 30 hours)

CBS All Access (which I do pay for some months out of the year, if 2018 was any example).

Most of these services seem to limit the number of included simultaneous connections to two. Of course, most also offer enhancements like HBO and other channels for an additional cost.

A distinction with these services as compared to cable is that these services do not have any long-term commitment. Cable companies often try to lock you in for a year.

Spectrum services my area and they want $45/mo for 12 months on their promotional price for cable tv, and are *required* to have at least one HD box at $7.50/mo. DVR is an additional $12.99/mo. Then there are options for more channels (which include HBO and others) for $20 or $40/mo. And these are their PROMOTIONAL prices.

BTW, an easy way to save some money if you have multiple TVs and set top boxes with some providers is to use a Roku with the cable company app instead on all but one TV (since it seems they require at least one box).

For me in coastal Virginia the cable + internet packages from Verizon/Cox are less expensive than just internet + subscribed streaming services
(for now!)

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also live in Coastal Va. But Verizon/Cox cannot provide televisions cable services to the City of Suffolk residents only Spectrum/Charter Cable.

We had Verizon telephone service but every month our telephone bill keep going up and up. So we drop it for a cheaper bundle package with Charter Cable.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I also live in Coastal Va. But Verizon/Cox cannot provide televisions cable services to the City of Suffolk residents only Spectrum/Charter Cable.

We had Verizon telephone service but every month our telephone bill keep going up and up. So we drop it for a cheaper bundle package with Charter Cable.

Have you compared all in costs with Ooma or another VoIP provider instead of the bundle? Sometimes that’s a better solution and doesn’t lock you down any further with the cable company.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
I don't consider your statement "the streaming services are not much cheaper than cable channels" factual at all. Not with the $1,440+ I'm saving annually having dropped cable in favor of streaming. Btw, I have much more content than I ever did with cable.

And, I'm not interested in selling any real estate. Just bridges ;)

That’s you case and your case only. In my case it’s only about $200 annual savings via streaming and a whole lot more pieces needed (I.e., Roku, OTA antenna, Tablo DVR for locals, etc.) and things that can go wrong. Now that’s factual. Like I said, it’s not for everyone. I don’t buy run down bridges but I will buy the property they sit on!

Have you compared all in costs with Ooma or another VoIP provider instead of the bundle? Sometimes that’s a better solution and doesn’t lock you down any further with the cable company.

I don’t understand why people that have cell phones just don’t port their home nmbers to them and eliminate any additional home phone costs! We did this many years ago and it works just fine. 911 works just fine. We had the cell anyway. We might as well take advantage of it and save a few bucks.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s you [sic] case and your case only. In my case it’s only about $200 annual savings via streaming and a whole lot more pieces needed (I.e., Roku, OTA antenna, Tablo DVR for locals, etc.) and things that can go wrong. Now that’s factual. Like I said, it’s not for everyone. I don’t buy run down bridges but I will buy the property they sit on!

Wrong again. If that were true, you wouldn't have people cutting cable in record numbers in favor of streaming. Look around bucky.

Brett

Reaction score

I suppose living in Suffolk limits your options. I have the TV/internet package from Verizon - $95 month which includes 150+ channels

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, our optional are very limited in Suffolk,VA.

Now I understand Tribune Broadcasting hard stand. They are carrying the popular NFL Super Bowl Football game this year. Supply and Demand economics maybe on their side.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I envy those of you that have the choice to stream content. We are in an area where high speed internet is our cellular data plan. Even if we chose to go with the unlimited plan you get throttled at 20 GB or so. We also cannot get cable (Spectrum), only choice is over the air or Dish/Directv. So far since August we lost our ABC station for two months due to fight with Dish. Then November 1st HBO disappeared from Dish. (HBO owned by AT&T/Directv) and almost lost our CBS affiliate around the beginning of December. All about $$$$$$$$.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I envy those of you that have the choice to stream content. We are in an area where high speed internet is our cellular data plan. Even if we chose to go with the unlimited plan you get throttled at 20 GB or so. We also cannot get cable (Spectrum), only choice is over the air or Dish/Directv. So far since August we lost our ABC station for two months due to fight with Dish. Then November 1st HBO disappeared from Dish. (HBO owned by AT&T/Directv) and almost lost our CBS affiliate around the beginning of December. All about $$$$$$$$.

SandyPGravel,
I feel you pain. It is Greed and we the paying customers are paying dearly out of our pockets. For no CBS Broadcast :shrug::crash::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Verizon cannot provide television cable service to anyone in the City of Suffolk,Va.
Verizon can only provide internet and telephone service in the City of Suffolk,Va.

This is law passed by the City of Suffolk, City Council many, many years ago.